PDA

View Full Version : alkalis used to concentrate menstruums

solomon levi
10-07-2009, 06:19 PM
This has been mentioned in several processes.
Potassium carbonate can be added to vodka, for instance, to separate the water from the alcohol for the ens process.
We've seen the use of quicklime (calcium oxide) to separate the water from urine.
The same should be kept in mind for other solvents like vinegar.
Particularly, I've been wondering if the ens process were done with vinegar instead
of alcohol, would this give a fixed product? Would that be more powerful?
Is this what the ens melissae needs?

I'm wondering also about concentrating vinegar and alcohol and combining the two (see John Reid's course), and also the same with the two golden waters.

Sorry for the broadness or tendency to tangent in the topic, but they were relatedto me.
Please feel free to reply to any of the above, or suggest your own ideas. I'd like to hear.

horticult
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I was recently thinking that maybe raw homemade potash from oaks ashes will do more powerful ens that potash p.a. ...
Also 96% med alcohol could be shifted as well.

Ab Roek
10-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Solomon,

I think you would find it hard to use the ens process with vinegar, since the product of combining K2CO3-saturated water with vinegar would only be a neutral salt. But, I must be missing something here in your idea?

I am familiar with John Reid's course where he mentions vinegar and alcohol, I believe he calls the process the alkahest of the vegetable kingdom. The key to this process (and to the mastery of the vegetable kingdom) is the salt volatilization. I see you've done some very interesting work along these lines already, doing the circulation in open air of pine oil (or did you use turpentine?) and K2CO3. I believe the crystals produced by that process are only semi-volatile. I'm doing the process myself to do some tests on the end product. I have achieved the plant salt volatilization by other means.

solomon levi
10-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I'm curious ablout the result with vinegar.
The same ingredients are used to produce regenerated tartar aka foliated tartar.

Re volatile alkali: are you referring to Dr. Geoffrey's method?
That's what I use now.