PDA

View Full Version : Making Hydrochloric Acid

Ghislain
10-28-2009, 03:02 AM
To make HCl take one mol of salt (NaCl) onto this pour one mol of sulfuric acid (H2SO4) direct the hydrogen chloride gas produced through approx 50ml of water.

The initial gassing was done outside for safety but then later brought in and placed on the cooker with the salt and acid solution placed in a heated pan and continuing to gas through the water.

See the setup (http://genius.toucansurf.com/Hydrochloric.jpg).

Ghislain

True Initiate
10-28-2009, 03:24 AM
This is so High-tech!
Do you have some cheaper solution? :D

Ghislain
10-28-2009, 08:22 AM
TP :mad: I couldn't find HCl so I had to make it :p

In all seriousness the wine bottle works well, if your solution needs room you don't get boil over :)

Ghislain :rolleyes:

P.S. what acid do you get in car batteries? and I have to admit that was an expensive wine bottle. ;)
Maybe one could get a cheaper one in the quicky mart :D

theFool
10-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I couldn't find HCl so I had to make it
Weak solutions of HCl are sold for cleaning marble surfaces and are very common. I don't know if in your place their trading is restricted but, where I am, even supermarkets sell HCl in red plastic bottles.

I have worked with this commercial product and attempted to concentrate it by distillation. First comes over mainly water and at the last steps of distillation, comes the HCl-water azeotrope (it is a negative azeotrope I think). One can see this by monitoring the temperature. It rises from 100 to 108 degrees celsius when this transition happens so you know where to change the receiver.

At the end of distillation, a white salty residue remains which means that the commercial HCl is full of impurities and so it must be distilled once if it is to be used for some serious purposes.