PDA

View Full Version : The Open Source Movement and the Esoteric

WCH
11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
The internet has provided a tool by which ideas can be developed and transmitted far more quickly than ever before. A large part of its culture is that of things being free: freedom of speech and thought, free in terms of cost, and readily accessible to all.

The clearest manifestation of this is the open source movement, where the code which underlies the software by which we experience this computer realm is, itself, made accessible so that any who wish to see why things are the way they are -- or who wishes to change them -- can, if they will only put the effort into learning how; and then a host of others will do their best to make that learning process relatively easy.

Where does esotericism fit into this? Should we take this as a cue that consciousness itself has shifted and new forms of practice need to work synergistically with it? Already it's easy to find spagyric recipes if you Google around; this forum itself provides handy links to a number of guides, and even manuscripts like the Hermetic Museum are available for free from Google Books. Certainly, things which were once considered secret are now there for anybody curious to know.

Does this unparalleled access to information mean we should be more careful with secrets and make sure they aren't made public, or does it mean that the time is right to abandon secrecy and embrace "open source" alchemy?

Awani
11-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Does this unparalleled access to information mean we should be more careful with secrets and make sure they aren't made public, or does it mean that the time is right to abandon secrecy and embrace "open source" alchemy?

Yes I think so. The pyramid structure of rule has come to an end (mentally). Time to move forward. New generations of human beings are less apes than the ones before them.

:cool:

solomon levi
11-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm of the opinion that it is a time for sharing and less secrecy.
Though access to secrets is far easier, there are still few laborers who
will put in the effort. Those who do deserve to be rewarded.

I think ultimately alchemy is still protected.
Knowing how to make the stone is not the same as ability to do it.
And the ease of acquiring chemicals may be part of the problem.
In the old days, if the recipe called for distilling an aqua fortis from
vitriol and nitre, that's what you'd have to do. Our modern acids
are not the same, not made the same way. There's no guarantee that
"spagyric" substitutions will produce the end result.

How many people do you know that distill their own acids from salts?
Or obtain their metals and minerals from natural ores and separate
and purify them theirselves?
As I said, the knowledge is available, the laborers are few.

Alchemy is a "Herculean task". Most people are still looking for quick and easy.

Let's take Newton for example... you couldn't ask for a more brilliant mind,
but the materials he worked with killed him before he could succeed.
How about Frater Albertus? Can any of us claim to have more knowledge than him?
Well, he's dead. Knowledge didn't save him. And he had plenty of lab experience too.

Given the two above examples, Newton knew of the Flamel/Philalethes path with
the martial regulus of Antimony. Albertus knew of and extracted the
Philosophical mercury from lead acetate/Norton's path. These are two of the most
documented paths in alchemy and two very able alchemists who did not succeed.

It seems clear that Newton had the animated double mercury. Shouldn't he have just
been able to cook his gold now that the Herculean labor was over?
I saw a slide show of Albertus' P. mercury extraction around 15 years ago
at a lecture on alchemy by Art Kunkin. Hasn't anyone in their circle been able
to complete the work with it? I don't know man.
Either there are even more secrets that lay hidden, or perhaps alchemy truly is
about the Alchemists consciousness and the work cannot be completed without until
it is done within. Or maybe alchemy is just a bunch of bull dookey. :D

My point is, unless one has finished the work, I doubt they have any secrets that have
not already been revealed somewhere. So I don't think we need to worry about secrecy.
I think we should share as much as we can.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lo!
11-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I had to revive this thread with a bump, because it is the e-crystalization of a thought I've been struggling with for a few months now. Just tonight I was talking to a young lady my age (at the local bar, no less) about spirituality and mysticism. My mental den of alchemical knowledge and lab experience is barren and dull; I know enough to be open and humble about this. I'm blessed as an empath, though, and my ability to connect with people quickly and deeply allows me teaching opportunities that I can only pray for the wisdom to justify.

I often find myself referring back to the 7 hermetic principles (never in their totality; rather in part) in my explainations of the way I see things, and my view of how we influence our world around us. I find myself sharing in simplicity, over a beer, things that took me years of following trails and creative imagining to understand... "Am I cheapening the sanctity and luster of this precious gem that I've uncovered," I wonder? Surely not; either my my peer will understand my words and transform their world by them, or else be blessed by the practical wisdom thereof.

I feel as though we're entering into an age of exploration, dissemination and assimilation. The collective egregore is becoming more attuned to truth and love. I like to think so, anyway... What do you think?