PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Regia

LeoRetilus
12-11-2009, 05:18 AM
If permitted I'm beginning this thread to clear up some common misconceptions on this site concerning Aqua Regia , what it is, what it does and its action on gold and other precious metals.
And for quite possibly the first time on the internet we will present a very clear and concise method of refining gold via the aqua regia method for free.
Thats right for free, a gift to our brothers and sisters.

First things first ,nitric acid alone does not act on pure gold, anyone who tells you that doesn't have a clue, in fact it is how we can tell if our gold is pure, because nitric will dissolve most other metals and leave the pure gold behind.
If you buy test acids for gold they will all be nitric acid of varing concentrations and they will dissolve the lesser metals from the streak you place on a piece of slate. If the entire streak dissolves then the gold is either absent or the karat alloy is below that particular acid concentration. But pure nitric will not dissolve pure gold, even if you heat it up.

Hydrochloric acid can dissolve gold and other noble metals on its own but only very slowly. That is why there is more gold and precious metals dissolved in the ocean than any other place on earth.
Aqua Regia or royal water is a mixture of 3 to 5 parts hydrochloric acid and one part nitric acid.
Since the hydrochloric contains what actually dissolves the gold ,lets begin with that... , isolating its active ingredient, the halide Cl-. Chlorine belongs to the halide family and is specifically a halogen gas, its state being a gas at room temperature save for when it is bonded in a compound. All halides are capable of dissolving gold, I'll repeat that all halides can put gold into solution. In fact bromide is considered the most active.
You may be thinking, then what the heck do we need the nitric for right?
Well I'll tell ya , nitric acid is a very powerful oxidiser and while it cannot oxidise gold directly, it does oxidise the Chlorine -ion in the hydrochloric acid and increases its oxidation potential exponentially. So in fact all it does is it speeds up the process.
One very, verrry important tid-bit to keep in mind , especially with our alchemical lab work is that sometimes by making and extracting certain salts, that introduce halides, i.e. NaCl, common salt, and dissolving that chlorine ion into solution, now all we need to do is introduce an oxidiser in the form of a nitrate and volia you have inadvertenly created aqua regia, should you be surprised it can dissolve gold? Well, really you shouldn't be, does that mean you are a step away from making the Philosophers Stone? Absolutely not, sorry its still just plain chemistry.
But its noble chemistry no pun intended;)

Next post : The Process

horticult
12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
According to your opinion, has dissolved Au healing or other effect?
Contain "potable gold" any Au?

LeoRetilus
12-11-2009, 12:25 PM
A little off topic for this thread but okay,.... in my opinion absolutely ,resolve Au to its first matter, by aging it till it dies and it will be reborn from its seeds and after much maturation as Au again....and the results are published! David Hudson

LeoRetilus
12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
So ok, now that we know what aqua regia is and we know how to mix it.
We should not mix it until we are ready to use it. And in most cases we only need enough to cover our subject and should always err on the side of using as little nitric as possible .
And I'll tell you why , back when I first started refining gold via the aqua regia method I would loose lots of gold in a form that would be unrecoverable, I didn't know it then but I was performing alchemy, I didn't know why it wouldn't recover , but I knew it had something to do with the excess of nitric acid, that I would have to eliminate latter which gave me many headaches, I latter found that if I just erred on the low side with the nitric and the gold wasn't totally dissolved when everthing stopped fizzing ,then I could just add a little to get the reaction going again, then I had very little to eliminate in the next step.

Interesting aside here, on all the acid where I knew I had lost alot of gold ,I kept the acids in covered buckets, thinking I could recover it at some point. One day I tried boiling some down till it was just dry, sound familar? I then took the just dry salt and put some hydrochloric in it to dissolve just the inferior metallic salts that I was refining out in the first place, I knew that once gold chloride precipitated out that it would not dissolve in hydrochloric alone, and since I had boiled everything off , the nitric was gone and I no longer had A.R. I quick look in the beaker and yes there is a powder down there but it didn't look brown like gold chloride, it looked grey, that was odd, so I put some into a crucible at 1900F and lo, crap its not gold its a white powder, so I through it away:eek: Ok so I said well maybe the AU volitized off because I didn't cover it with a flux, my favorite has always been borax for some reason, borax melts to glass of honey like consistency and makes a good cover for gold as it becomes quick and flowing underneath and the boro seems to pull the dirty stuff off the gold and it turns black. There's a great secret here

Wow so to my dismay no gold from this white powder even when covered only with borax ,crap it fused to the glass , What then is it?
I didn't know at that time or care either so I discarded it into an open bucket that accumulated various months of dew and rainwater and one day was shocked to see that a rainbow oil was sitting on top of the bucket and when I skimmed it off it turned gold colored as it folded up. My first impulse being the hungry lion that I am was to eat it, but better not, I melted it instead and found that sunlight had succeded where my precipitate had failed and it fused to pure gold.

Mind you all this stuff I just stumbled upon while trying to refine gold, now many years later after reading about David Hudson , I realize the significance of my err, the ancient alchemists might have had great envy for what I just happened to stumbled upon, but alas my ignorance surpassed my ability at that time, but thank God , I stumbled in such a way , when I first started studying David Hudson , I only wanted to know what this white powder was and how to recover my gold from it, but when I realized what it was it led me to new wonderous adventures that far surpass the commercial value of gold alone.

Ok so now that we have placed what we want to dissolve into the A.R. and it has started reacting lets get as far away from this as possible, poison fumes:eek:
I built a water scrubber cause my neighbors complain alot and I was worried the EPA would visit me.

So after much fume evolution and fizzing and all metals are gone. Now we such let it cool, so that the gold stops breaking down further, yes its invisible but as David Hudson tells us, the ionic clusters are now being attacked and will be broken down and if they are too far digested we will not be able to recover them with chemistry alone.

Now we need to eliminate the nitric, we can do this several ways, one by gently heating, this drives the nitric off, but don't let it get too hot and keep replenishing with hydrochloric, another way to do it is with urea,( wow lets keep that one at the back of our minds,) but yeah urea is a fertilizer and can be bought in 50lb bags, it is 16-0-0, pure solubulized nitrogen in pellet form, cool, so we through a little in and if theres any nitric left we get fizzing, we continue to add urea until no more fizzing, we have now eliminated the nitric and no longer have aqua regia

Now we let our solution cool again. And lets learn something else, while we can use crap like zinc chloride to precipitate our gold I wouldn't advise it, so the hydrochloric gives up the gold to hold the zinc so what, now we have another metal to deal with and will end up with zinc in our gold.
No sir, we know that in nature there is one thing that gold has a great affinity for, and that sulfur, but there is another. In nature there are only two elements that gold form complexes with and forms the two most common ores of gold, the first I have told you is sulfur, this second I will keep secret, but there was a mine is California where this second ore was found encasing a native gold vein, they just through this stuff away,it was litter over the mine site like so much wothless tailings until one day a miner threw some of this, that was once thought to be fools gold into a stove and lo when he went to clean it out, he found a nice chunk of gold.

So after our solution has cooled we can selectively precipitate the AU with sodium bisulfite, yes when these little crystals are dissolved in hot water they release sulfur dioxide gas and the gold chloride forms within these tiny bubbles and when they rise to the surface or pop gold chloride is released. We add sodium bisulfite in equal quantites with the gold that we think is present, and we do a stannous chloride test to detect if there is still gold in solution, if we get no color change, i.e. brown, purple or black then all the gold has dropped, we let this settle over night and get a fine sediment at the bottom that resembles cocoa powder when it is dried, so we catch if in a filter and dry it. We can now wash it with distilled water to wash any other metallic salts that might have got caught in the filter and even with diluted hydrochloric and then with distilled water again, and if we think there might have been silver in it we can wash with ammonium hydroxide and it will dissolve the silver salts and the liquid turns blue as it drops through the filter, this can be saved and the silver be precipitated out of it with copper later.

As for our gold we can now cover it with a nice safe flux like borax and melt it at 1945f and the chloride wil be driven off far before it reaches that temperature and become gold oxide, and will melt into 98-99.5 percent pure gold andcan be poured out when it becomes quick into a nice graphite bar mold.

Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

memphis_mizraim
12-11-2009, 11:28 PM
So what bother making the alkahest at all and just use Aqua Regis instead.

Ghislain
12-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi L.R.

I wonder if you would look over some work I did with what I believe was home made AR.

I would have liked to have produced some ormus but I think I only got as far as Gold Oxide...maybe :o

Using ammonium nitrate solution in a narrow necked flask with some copper pieces added, then adding sulphuric acid the solution begins to react creating copious amounts of nitrogen dioxide gas.

By channelling this gas through some water one creates nitric acid. I think :confused:

You can see the process here. (http://genius.toucansurf.com/Making Nitric Acid.wmv)

The first attempt was too violent and went a little wrong...much of the solution in the flask went up the tube and contaminated the result. For this reason a second attempt was made which was quite successful.
In the second attempt the water flask was cooled as this give a better concentration result. As some may have noticed, frozen peas were used here as no ice was available. There was no waste as they were already freezer burnt anyway.

I think this was a success as the resulting liquid reacts with copper - as it should.

I placed a little gold leaf into a glass and added some of the acid mentioned above.

This was almost a clear liquid...the particles of gold have gone but there was a little lump of gold which is still there. The liquid has gone yellow...I did sprinkle a tiny bit of table salt on the mix...really tiny.

Is the yellow from the gold or from the salt?

Gold in Nitric. (http://genius.toucansurf.com/Gold leaf and nitric.JPG) This pic is taken looking down into the glass.

Ghislain

No problem people...it must be nitric acid as all the gold has gone now. I guess the salt must have supplied the chlorine...which was what I was hoping for as I had no HCl.

Pic of dissolved gold (http://genius.toucansurf.com/dissolved gold.jpg)

It seems strange having liquid gold in a glass :)

Ghislain

I read an article by Vlad and a link to making ormus.

Vlad’s post--

I saw that you needed to take the gold in solution from acid to alkali and back several times
to break the bonds in the gold...or so it said :)

I did this with my dissolved gold using a solution of lye and some nitric acid.

When lye was added, the solution turned red...just for a moment...
The precipitate started to fall out.
The p.h. was checked with litmus paper so it was only a rough estimate.
Adding the nitric turned the solution back to yellow.
At one point and one point only the solution seemed to bubble,
what looked like oil, on the surface. Would anyone be able to shed some light on this?

Ghislain

I am going to repeat what I did, but this time I will capture
it all on vid so you can see what happens.

Some gold has already been dissolved for this purpose. This time however
instead of using nitric with a little common salt, proper aqua regia was
used using nitric plus HCl (home made).

Pic of gold in aqua regia (http://genius.toucansurf.com/gold 2.jpg )

Twenty minutes later (http://genius.toucansurf.com/gold dissolved 2.jpg)

I am only doing this on a microscopic scale...I dont think I can take it much
further at the moment due to a lack of materials. I made a vid of a second
attempt...the colours were not so obvious as the first but I think you can still see
them.

The vid will open as soon as you click here (http://genius.toucansurf.com/precipitate movie.wmv).
Be aware the movie is a little long winded and a bit small to upload it quicker :o

Where do I go from here?

Ghislain

Could you tell me where I went wrong L.R. ?

Ghislain

LeoRetilus
12-12-2009, 12:07 AM
So what bother making the alkahest at all and just use Aqua Regis instead.

I hope I didn't imply that memphis , the role of the alkahest is not solely in dissolving gold , :o the alkahest should still contain our three principles, they will be needed for transmutations, I simply state that the seeds of gold and the blood of gold can be had through A.R. But if your after the healing power of AU, I believe that it lies here.

Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

LeoRetilus
12-12-2009, 12:41 AM
To Ghislain,

Well it looks like you took the first step and got the gold into solution ,however if you just stop here all you have is gold chloride and it will still precipitate as metallic AU, but since you have taken the first step and it seems albeit very gently you got the gold into liquid, you now need to get violent with it and give it a good rogering , we need to break apart the gold ions to where they no longer form metallic crystal lattices, I believe for gold its is three atoms per cluster or less , otherwise we still have metal. I'd like to point out that when you do this you will no longer get metallic gold ,you will get what David Hudson did all that research to find out ,what is it? Its a substances that can longer be identified through conventional analytical techniques and thats because of the nature of the electron orbitals they will no longer reflect energy as they do when they are held in a metallic lattice .

So how do we break these clusters, ph swings, good, do one hundred of them, also mother nature does it like this, THE DEAD SEA, thats to say repeated heating and boiling to just dry, this also breaks apart the clusters. If you employ both processes you can't go wrong. But bind that ormus to a sodium ion and keep it there or it will blow off in the presence of a magnetic field. Annealing is up to you, but I don't really see the point unless you are mounting it in a radiant energy device like I have, to produce free energy or you want to see what quantum effects Hudson was talking about when he annealed, this is the S-ORMES in all its glory, its what happens when its electrons are pumped to their adaibatic ground state . If you follow Hudson 's Austrailian Patent Process you can't go wrong, and be careful you may not be ready for what this potent of an ormus will open your senses to.

Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

solomon levi
12-12-2009, 05:10 AM
Greetings Leo,

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using H2O2 in place
of nitric as oxidiser? For me it is easier to acquire, although I
recently learned some easy methods to produce weak nitric acid
on youtube.

sol

LeoRetilus
12-12-2009, 05:21 AM
I'm not sure about that one Sol, I think that if you mix hydrochloric acid with hydrogen peroxide you will get more fume evolution than anything, volatilising the chlorine away, you need some form of nitrate, i.e potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate and since we will add salt anyway if making ormus, then sodium nitrate maybe the best choice.
But h2o2 on its own can dissolve gold, albeit very slowly ,and how is that, how can that be? Could it be that you have discovered the secret fire?
:)

Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

LeoRetilus
12-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I 'm sharing this now cause I think we maybe to this point.Further proof and reciprocated evidence from another physicist that ormus is a gas and that gold will grow out of the air when the seeds of gold are fused to the glass. I don't think I can get anymore blatantly obvious than this. Also the importance of magnetite, Dr. Milewski is a brillant man, he first introduced me to magnetite charged water and his research coincides with mine regarding radiant energy and magnetic monopoles, themselves being respectively the power of heaven and earth, seeking reunification.
http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/tw/ormusgas.htm
Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

Ghislain
12-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I tried to make a timelapse of gold leaf dissolving in my home made nitric. I left it in the nitric
for some time with no result. I then added my home made hydrochloric and the gold leaf
dissolved over the course of about 25-30 minutes.

I had to take photos timed on my cooker as I have no expensive photography stuff. In a couple
of the photos the flash came on so its no Spielburg Production.

The first couple of frames is in nitric the rest is in AR.

see it here (http://genius.toucansurf.com/TIMELAPSE GOLD DISOLVE.wmv)

Ghislain

LeoRetilus
12-13-2009, 04:08 AM
I left it in the nitric
for some time with no result. I then added my home made hydrochloric and the gold leaf
dissolved over the course of about 25-30 minutes.

see it here (http://genius.toucansurf.com/TIMELAPSE GOLD DISOLVE.wmv)

Ghislain

Good so this should tell you that your gold leaf is real and pure or relatively pure. If I am making gold ormus, I boil the gold leaf in nitric acid to clean it , and then pull the gold out ,discard the dirty nitric, and wash the gold with distilled water and mix new A.R. and put it back in ,so that I will only have AU in solution and nothing else.

I had to add something to this post becuase, I just realized something Ghislain that's brilliant for making ormus , you put the gold in nitric first, ( way too much if that was pure nitric for refining the gold that is) , then you added the hydrochloric enough only to dissolve the gold, this should strip the ions into very small microclusters as they go into solution, since it will be very "hot" chemically speaking. This will leave less work in ph swings and such to get to the white powder state. The opposite should be done if you are refining and wish to preserve the ion size enough to precipitate metallic gold.
But for ormus its perfect, did you intend this? Either way bravo, I will do this from now on as well.

Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.

Ghislain
12-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi L.R.

My nitric is very weak i think. I just watched my video of
P.H. swinging and I think I counted 9 - 10 swings. The
precipitate is still black.

The vid will open as soon as you click here (http://genius.toucansurf.com/precipitate movie.wmv).
Be aware the movie is a little long winded and a bit small to upload it quicker :o

If I keep swinging the P.H. will the precipitatae turn white?

The trouble is that when I dry this solution It forms a white
salt just from the nitric and lye (which I am not sure of what it is)
could that be sodium nitrate?

Is the ormus we are looking for insoluable in water?

I was wondering how one could identify that it is ormus
one has, and not just a salt of the process?

Should I keep washing it?

There is so little there that I am concerned that I will
wash everything away :)

Thanks

Ghislain

LeoRetilus
12-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I saw the video, but : For one it is not important to get a precipitate in the beginning and in fact we shouldn't be forcing one to appear at this point , and if its black we should dissolve it back and start over as you will see in both methods a grey or black precipitate should be taken back to the beginning, the bond breaking goes on at the molecular level and will not be visible. If we do get the precipitate when we raise the ph it should disappear when we lower it. To put it plainly you should be doing either the David Hudson method(AR then repeated boiling and drying) or the H2O2 method( ph swings). But you can start with the Hudson Method thats to say get the gold into the solution the easy way and then borrow the ph swing process from the H2O2 method and then instead of boiling outdoors you can go back to the repeated boiling and drying from the Hudson Method. But maybe so that you don't confuse yourself you should do one or the other. I was just mentioning before that bond breaking occurs both ways.
Here is the H2O2 Method: http://www.life-enthusiast.com/ormus/
Here is the Hudson process from the Austrailian Patents:

G-ORME was prepared from metallic gold as follows:

(1) 50 mg gold (99.99% pure) were dispersed in 200 ml aqua regia to provide clusters of gold atoms.

(2) 60 ml concentrated hydrochloric acid were added to the dispersion and the mixture was brought to boil, and continued boiling until the volume was reduced to approximately 10-15 ml. 60 ml concentrated HCl were added, and the sample brought to boil and checked for evolution of NOCl fumes. The process was repeated until no further fumes evolved, thus indicating that the nitric acid had been removed and the gold had been converted completely to the gold chloride.

(3) The volume of the dispersion was reduced by careful heating until the salt was just dry. "Just dry" as used herein means that all of the liquid had been boiled off, but the solid residue had not been "baked" or scorched.

(4) The just dry salts were again dispersed in aqua regia and steps (2) and (3) were repeated. This treatment provides gold chloride clusters of greater than 11 atoms.

(5) 150 ml 6M hydrochloric acid were added to the just dry salts and boiled again to evaporate off the liquid to just dry salts. This step was repeated four times. This procedure leads to a greater degree of sub-division to provide smaller clusters of gold chloride. At the end of this procedure an orangish-red salt of gold chloride is obtained. The salt will analyze as substantially pure Au2Cl6.

(6) Sodium chloride is added in an amount whereby the sodium is present at a ratio 20 moles sodium per mole of gold. The solution is then diluted with deionized water to a volume of 400 ml. The presence of the aqueous sodium chloride provides the salt Na2Au2Cl8. The presence of water is essential to break apart the diatoms of gold.

(7) The aqueous sodium chloride solution is very gently boiled to a just dry salt, and thereafter the salts were taken up alternatively in 200 ml deionized water and 300 ml 6M hydrochloric acid until no further change in color is evidenced. The 6M hydrochloric acid is used in the last treatment.

(8) After the last treatment with 6M hydrochloric acid, and subsequent boildown, the just dry salt is diluted with 400 ml deionized water to provide a monoatomic gold salt solution of NaAuCl2.H2O. The pH is approximately 1.0.

(9) The pH is adjusted very slowly with dilute sodium hydroxide solution, while constantly stirring, until the pH of the solution remains constant at 7.0 for a period of more than twelve hours. This adjustment may take several days. Care must be taken not to exceed pH 7.0 during the neutralization.

(10) After the pH is stabilized at pH 7.0, the solution is gently boiled down to 10 ml and 10 ml concentrated nitric acid is added to provide a sodium-gold nitrate. As is apparent, the nitrate is an oxidizer and removes the chloride. The product obtained should be white crystals. If a black or brown precipitate forms, this is an indication that there is still Na2Au2Cl8 present. If present, it is then necessary to restart the process at step (1).

(11) If white crystals are obtained, the solution is boiled to obtain just dry crystals. It is important not to overheat, i.e., bake.

(12) 5 ml concentrated nitric acid are added to the crystals and again boiled to where the solution goes to just dry. Again it is essential not to overheat or bake. Steps (11) and (12) provide a complete conversion of the product to a sodium-gold nitrate. No chlorides are present.

(13) 10 ml deionized water are added and again boiled to just dry salts. This step is repeated once. This step eliminates any excess nitric acid which may be present.

(14) Thereafter, the just dry material is diluted to 80 ml with deionized water. The solution will have a pH of approximately 1. This step causes the nitrate to dissociate to obtain NaAu in water with a small amount of HNO3 remaining .

(15) The pH is adjusted very slowly with dilute sodium hydroxide to 7.0 + 0.2. This will eliminate all free acid, leaving only NaAu in water.

(16) The NaAu hydrolyzes with the water and dissociates to form HAu. The product will be a white precipitate in water. The Au atoms have water at the surface which creates a voluminous cotton-like product.

(17) The white precipitate is decanted off from any dark grey solids and filtered through a 0.45 micron cellulose nitrate filter paper. Any dark grey solids of sodium auride should be redissolved and again processed starting at step (1).

(18) The filtered white precipitate on the filter paper is vacuum dried at 120 C for two hours. The dry solid should be light grey in color which is HAu.H2O and is easily removed from the filter paper.

(19) The monoatomic gold is placed in a porcelain ignition boat and annealed at 300 C under an inert gas to remove hydrogen and to form a very chemically and thermally stable white gold monomer.

(20) After cooling, the ignited white gold can be cleaned of remaining traces of sodium by digesting with dilute nitric acid for approximately one hour.

(21) The insoluble white gold is filtered on 0.45 micron paper and vacuum dried at 120 C for two hours. The white powder product obtained from the filtration and drying is pure G-ORME.

The G-ORME made according to this invention will exhibit the special properties described in the "General Description" of this application, including catalytic activity, special magnetic properties, resistance to sintering at high temperatures, and resistance to aqua regia and cyanide attack.

Hope this clears things up a little, its not easy I know but you seem industrious and you will succeed , large gold clusters start black, then start to go orange then red then purple, then white as you get smaller clusters. you can take that black precipitate and start at step one of either method.

Peace and LVX

Frater L.R.