PDA

View Full Version : Bain-marie

Awani
12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Anyone of you practicalists use this: Bain-marie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie)

Alternatively, the device's invention has been popularly attributed to Mary the Jewess, an ancient alchemist traditionally supposed to have been Miriam, a sister of Moses. - source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie#Origin)

:cool:

solomon levi
12-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Oui!
C'est tres agreeable pour utilise si on ne veut pas le feu plus chaud que le
b.p. de l'eau.
pour example: le destillation du vin.

Probably mutilated that sentence. My francais est tres iron oxide (rusty ;))

True Initiate
12-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Anyone of you practicalists use this: Bain-marie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie)

:cool:

Of course i do only i put a thin layer of vegetable oil on the surface of water to slow down evaporation.

oratius
12-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Well, in some opereations I prefer using bain de sable (sand-bath) on an electrical plate, whose temperature is controlled by a thermostate.

:-)

Oratius

theFool
12-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Well, in some opereations I prefer using bain de sable (sand-bath) on an electrical plate, whose temperature is controlled by a thermostate.
Cool, I have one plate controlled by lighting dimmer.

jordanstratford+
12-31-2010, 01:10 AM
I use it for melting chocolate. Put water in a big pot, bring it to a boil, insert a smaller pot (make sure the water doesn't get in the second pot) and insert chocolate.

Come to think of it, I used to heat up baby bottles the same way.

oratius
12-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Cool, I have one plate controlled by lighting dimmer.

WOW!!! I had not thought of that!!! That is even better!!! I mean, the dimmer offers more detailed control on the temperature, doesn't it?

:-)))

Oratius

Andro
12-31-2010, 01:27 PM
I mean, the dimmer offers more detailed control on the temperature, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't. A thermostat-controlled bath (with the sensor also burried in the sand, close to your vessel) is more accurate in keeping the temperature stable.
I wouldn't rely too much on thermostats of kitchen hotplates, though - but they can do the job.

Years ago I had a few thermostat controllers custom made for me.
There are also laboratory-grade hotplates available, with built-in thermostats, but they are way to expensive and not worth the investment IMO.

theFool
12-31-2010, 04:35 PM
WOW!!! I had not thought of that!!! That is even better!!! I mean, the dimmer offers more detailed control on the temperature, doesn't it?I find it more practical than a thermostat. It does not provide very detailed accuracy because for some reason the knob that controls the temperature can not be "trusted". Even if you put it at the same position the next time, it gives different output. An amperometer in series may help to control the temperature very precisely.

Andro
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
I used a digitally controlled thermostat (no knob), with a sensor placed in touch with the vessel inside the bath. Worked great for me, better than a kitchen hotplate with a knob.
The temperature was more or less constant (+/- 3 degrees), as I measured it with an independent thermometer (also buried in the sand).

But in the end, I don't think it matters very much - the generations of Alchemists before us had less technological means to regulate their Fires...