PDA

View Full Version : Help

lillith93
03-19-2010, 04:56 AM
I'm not sure how effective this will be,
but if there are some people that could explain
how you actually use alchemy that would be great.
I've seen plenty of things explaining the philosophy
and the history behind alchemy, but I haven't seen
anything telling people who are new how to perform
alchemy. I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thank You:D

Ab Roek
03-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Concentrate all your attention on the top of your head. Do this, this supreme act of the will, until all doubt is cast away, and you are illuminated by the Vision of the Star of the Magi, Polaris.

Lest you be deceived! What you have just read is the distilled essence of over 15 years of reading, practing in the lab, and wending wayward through all Manor of other blind Alleys and Dead ends. More direct and truthful instructions you are not likely to find, here or elsewhere. Do not worry yourself overmuch with glassware. Alchemy proper has very little in common with modern chemistry.

Above all, no matter which path you choose to tread: Persist!

Semper Fidelis,
AB RK

I'm not sure how effective this will be,
but if there are some people that could explain
how you actually use alchemy that would be great.
I've seen plenty of things explaining the philosophy
and the history behind alchemy, but I haven't seen
anything telling people who are new how to perform
alchemy. I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thank You:D

horticult
03-20-2010, 12:43 AM
invoke often
sem fi
hrtclt

LeoRetilus
03-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Polaris???

Ab Roek
03-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Leo,

Heaven and Earth meet at the top of the Chemical Sky (Saturn). Our Tree hangs with its roots in the sky and its fruits dangling heavy near the earth. The Dome of the Alembic, indeed the Dome of the Cranium are where the volatilized salt finally becomes solid again.

Polaris???

Gold cometh from the North.

Fnord
AB RK

lillith93
03-20-2010, 04:14 AM
I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, but I'm looking for something I can understand. Perhaps act as if I have no clue what so ever about what you are talking about, which is mostly true. I'm a completely blank slate. Start from the very beginning and go from there. Because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Ghislain
03-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Lillith93

Perhaps a good place to start may be with an overview of Alchemy.

When I first came to this forum it was suggested that I read,
"The Complete Idiots Guide to Alchemy", by Dennis William Hauck.

I am not sure if this is the best book to read first but it is a start.

Perhaps others can give better advice on reading materials

Ghislain

lillith93
03-20-2010, 04:35 AM
Hey, I got a good explanation from Seth-Ra. He didn't just explain the concept of Alchemy. He gave me examples on how to actually use alchemy. Just to throw it out there, when some one new is trying to learn alchemy you might want to try it. It really helps. Thanks for trying though. I really do appreciate it, and I value your opinions and ideas. Please if you think of anything that could possibly help me in my search for knowledge then don't hesitate to tell me.

And thank you Ghislain for that suggestion. I will certainly look for that book. :)

Andro
03-20-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything[...]

You're not bursting anyone's bubble.

However, a good place to start studying this (or any) Art would be to first burst your own :)

I'm looking for something I can understand.

There are many levels of undestanding 'something'.
If Alchemy was easy to understand, the Elixir of Life would be available in vending machines.

I'm a completely blank slate.

No, you're not :cool:

If you were, you would probably be the one teaching us, instead of being the one asking for help (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?p=8048#post8048) ;)

Start from the very beginning and go from there.

Funny, that's the exact same thing I was going to recommend to you ;)

Because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

When one goes to a foreign country, it is most advisable to make it a top priority learning its language, or at least the basics...

There are some good books out there to get you started. Many of them are mentioned on this forum. Others will follow.

Also, you said Seth-Ra has explained a few things to you.
He has an excellent grasp of the works of nature.
I'm sure he can be very helpful as well.

So welcome, and best of luck with your quest!

theFool
03-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Welcome lillith93,

There are some books in amazon about alchemy and most of them have a description of their content so you could choose one that best fits your need.

I would suggest to look at The Path of Alchemy (http://www.amazon.com/Path-Alchemy-Energetic-Pathways-Enlightenment/dp/0738709034/ref=sr_1_1)

solomon levi
03-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Greetings lillith93.

Most people recommend beginning lab alchemy with plants - distilling the
essential oils and calcining the salts. You can find that in those books mentioned.

I believe Ab Roek is describing what some might call spiritual alchemy, which
is ultimately practical none the less. For some, the body is all the laboratory one needs. Everything is within you.
Others do both internal and external simultaneously. As the Hermetic axiom goes:
"As above, so below... as within, so without."

I hope that was helpful. :)

solomon

lillith93
03-20-2010, 06:47 PM
However, a good place to start studying this (or any) Art would be to first burst your own :)

That certainly brings things to a new perspective. I will certainly work on that. I understand what you mean. You cannot fill a cup if it is already full. I will work on "bursting my bubble." I've been looking into spiritual calcination some, but I understand that is not something beginner's should start off with. If there is another method that you know of I would love to hear it. I believe I must start by bringing my ego down a notch or two.

I appreciate all the book references everyone has been giving me, and I am going to see if I can find those books for my studies. I greatly appreciate everyone's advice, and would be happy to hear more. :)

Seth-Ra
03-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I dont see why calcination of the self-ego would be bad for beginners, but for beginning mental/spiritual/energy work, meditations would be good, and trying to contact your inner-self, via meditation and before sleeping. The meditation i use and have heard other successes with, is with the chakra and kundalini meditations, though at some points they can be dangerous depending, but for the most part its safe. (from what ive seen and done.) :)

As for books, the ones i got when i started, and still use when i use books (lol) are:

"Sorcerer's Stone: a Beginner's Guide to Alchemy" - Dennis William Hauck.

"The Book of Alchemy" (i forget who its by, but has good full color alchemical paintings and drawings.)

"Real Alchemy: A Primer for Practical Alchemy" - Robert Allen Bartlett

"Alchemy Reference Guide" (that was good mostly for its knowledge of symbols used.)

I was interested in lab alchemy, so i also got an herbal medicine book and herbal medicine chart, but i got it all from: http://crucible.org/practical_alchemy.htm

There may be sites with better prices, or shipping, or so, but thats just where i got mine. :)

Good luck in your studies.

~Seth-Ra

Salazius
03-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Why should one start with spagirics after all ? This is mostly the LPN that say that no ? Everybody is different. I started spagirics after the Great Work's works.

Why not starting by reading real alchemical process in RAMS in order to understand how one can make the Stone and the general process in the Great Work ? Why beginning with process you will in fact more or less use in the end of the Great Work ? If ever you reach that state, what you have learned with plants will not be of great interest since spagyrics and alchemy are not really the same science.
I don't see why trying to learn german in order to speak english if I can compare. Some words are the same or quite, but it is a different language.

If you don't care of plants, work on metals or anything else. Sure spagyrics can help, depending what you seek, but basic spagyrics will not do the thing in my opinion, you really have to push very far in order to have clues for the Great Work.
But you have to find the keys to the Black, Green, White, and Red, and that's not easy, it takes time, and whatever spagirics you do, you will not find the Great Work in it. It's the way I see it.

theFool
03-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Why not starting by reading real alchemical process in RAMS in order to understand how one can make the Stone and the general process in the Great Work ?
Sooner or later one will reach to those processes, but all those books in RAMS, written in symbolic languge, will probably make no sense to a beginner. I remember from myself, you need to see concentrated in one book all the aspects of alchemy and then choose to 'specify' in one that best fits you (spagyrics, spiritual alchemy, lab alchemy, ..).

Why should one start with spagirics after all ? This is mostly the LPN that say that no ?
Supposedly, one starts with spagyrics in order to raise his/hers energy levels and obtain better health in order to be able to understand the processes and do spiritual work. Without adequate levels of energy and health, we cannot meditate deeply, we cannot feel the 'etheric energy' running through our bodies and so we cannot manipulate it. Now, if spagyrics really work and heal, I don't know. It is true, there are plenty of other methods too to raise your spiritual 'awarness'.

horticult
03-21-2010, 12:54 PM
I think that reading of books which are not written by reputable Adepts is contraproductive and even worse if at beginning.

The opinions of others are wrong, cuz they were not able to do IT.

& what is IT?
from common fairytales:
"... go I do not know where and bring I do not know what ..."

Never heard about something like this? Thank your TV brainwashing.

VIVAT EQUINOX
LVX

teofrast40
03-21-2010, 03:17 PM
I think that reading of books which are not written by reputable Adepts is contraproductive and even worse if at beginning.

hi,
I could not agree more.
lilith, if you want to learn traditional knowledge, as alchemy happens to be, stay with the sources, for as difficult it might be.
do not worry if you do not understand a single word. it is normal. most of the adepts in this art spent most of their lives reading these books and working in the lab without having understood single word, as they declare.
so, if you are really motivated, resign yourself to a long and painful research. I'm afraid there are no shortways, no dumb's guide or any other modern breviary can get you there. you will only get a misleading and often superficial interpretation of the sources.
instead I would advice to face the sources by yourself, and in doing this to try to get rid of all the modern/logical/ethno-egocentrical prejudices you can be aware of, and to seek understanding more into yor unconscious world than inside logical realm. that is, to study the ancients with humility and pray.
anyway, this is only an apprentice's opinion.

with humility
t

Salazius
03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Sooner or later one will reach to those processes, but all those books in RAMS, written in symbolic languge, will probably make no sense to a beginner.

In RAMS, there are books upon clear and real process, with no symbolic language. I was refering to that. Like Tugel, like Digby chemical secrets, etc.

lillith93
03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
I have already started down that path. I have been doing as much research as I possibly can. I have had to stick to online book sources for the most part, and a lot of the books I've been reading have been from the 1800's. So trust me I am not looking for the short way out. I am just saying I would like a beginning. I am definitely smart enough to understand what is being said, but I like to start from the beginning rather than the middle or the end. Sure I'm using modern technology to do my research, but I'm researching some fairly old and sophisticated stuff. I wouldn't dare try to find a short way out of learning something actually worth knowing. It would completely belittle the thing I am trying to learn.

With sincere gratitude,
Lillith

lillith93
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM
If you want to know the books I'm researching right now, then here are the links:
Swedenborg, A Hermetic Philosopher-- http://books.google.com/books?id=QNBpiENXwj4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=alchemy&lr=&as_brr=1&cd=18#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Alchemy and Alchemist-- http://books.google.com/books?id=-QAqAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=alchemy&lr=&as_brr=1&cd=12#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Alchemy Rediscovered and Restored-- http://books.google.com/books?id=-QAqAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=alchemy&lr=&as_brr=1&cd=12#v=onepage&q=&f=false
That's just the ones I'm working on right now. I am also keeping a journal with all the information that catches my eye. Just stuff I want to remember later. If you guys know of any books I can get for free then let me know. Just remember I'm a 16 year old girl with out a job. So I don't have money to go on Amazon and stuff.

Once again, I thank you all for helping me. I greatly appreciate it. I will take make sure to remember everything you guys have told me.

theFool
03-22-2010, 04:50 PM
rexresearch (http://www.rexresearch.com/alchindx.htm) has a vast, free collection of old alchemy books.

horticult
03-22-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.alchemywebsite.com/texts.html

Awani
03-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Sacred Texts - alchemy section (http://sacred-texts.com/alc/index.htm)

:cool:

lillith93
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
What is RAMS??

Salazius
03-24-2010, 09:39 AM
http://ramsdigital.com/

solomon levi
03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
I recommend plants simply because they don't cost anything - you can go out and gather them, you can start working in your kitchen, you can realise the three essentials and then apply that to minerals. It's just simple and not intimidating.
If i were a beginner and starting on minerals/metals, from reading i would probably
get the idea to start with lead or some lead ore, and right away that would propose
dangers. And every beginner breaks vessels; you wouldn't want to do that with
lead acetate in your kitchen or whatever... :(

Why is making a plant stone not helpful for making a mineral stone Salazius? I think it is.
???

sol

Salazius
03-24-2010, 10:56 PM
It is of course helpful for some. I don't deny. And spagyric Stones are a valuable level of medicine too.

But that's not the question, the question is : is it really so helpful in order to learn the Magnum Opus ? Yes, maybe again, for some people it can help. My experience is no. It wasn't at all necessary.

In spagyrics we are not in the Magnum Opus manipulations. It's in my opinion different, and the possible difficult part, is to change your mind or vision upon alchemical process once you have made your mind on spagyrical one. How to not mix up the two ? And then, how not having troubles in the Magnum Opus ?
But I agree, it's easier to start the Great Work with spagyric basis, than nothing at all.

When you learn your magnum opus, you have to fail it several time in order to have after success. I think it is a condition sine qua non, even with spagyrics as a basics.

That's just my point of view... :)

lillith93
03-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey, there hasn't been any explanation of RAMS yet. I've heard it mentioned before in some of the other forums, and it seems like a good resource of information, but I don't know what it is or where to find it.

Salazius
03-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Look post 25 I answered you already about RAMS.

lillith93
03-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, but not all of it. I still don't know where RAMS is. I can't use it if I can't find it.

Andro
03-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Yeah, but not all of it. I still don't know where RAMS is. I can't use it if I can't find it.

A link to where you can get the RAMS materials has been posted.
All it takes is just one more mouse click to get to the CD's/DVD.

Don't expect to be spoonfed everything to the last bit/bite.

solomon levi
03-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Be nice to our lil' stone. :D
[lillith = lil' lith(os)] ;)

lillith93
04-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm not expecting to be spoon fed everything. If someone gives me a source though, then they should at least tell me where to find it if they know. Do not treat me like a child simply because I am not afraid of asking questions. There is nothing wrong with that, and if someone had told me there is a link posted, then I would have found it. It's a simple question for a simple answer. If that is to much for you to handle then don't post a message. Some one nicer and more polite can answer my question.

Sincerely,
Lillith

Andro
04-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Lilith,

Salazius posted for you a direct link to where you can get the RAMS materials, and when you asked again, he re-directed you to the exact same link which he posted earlier.
I really don't see the problem - just click on the link and find out. All the relevant information is in there. That's all there is to it.

If you're still not able to click on the provided link and find what you're looking for, some Internet Tutorials (http://www.google.com/search?q=internet+tutorial&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1) may be useful.
Hint: Click your mouse on the words Internet Tutorials (http://www.google.com/search?q=internet+tutorial&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1).

As for the link provided by Salazius, you just do the same thing. You click your mouse on the following underlined words below, and the relevant web page will open:

Best wishes.

lillith93
04-09-2010, 02:49 AM
That post had skipped my attention. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, and I am sorry for being a little short with you. However, I would appreciate you do so with a better attitude. I do not appreciate your sarcasm, and a simple explanation without rude remarks is very easy to accomplish.

With Sincere Gratitude,
Lillith

Andro
04-09-2010, 09:37 AM
That post had skipped my attention. I do not appreciate your sarcasm [...]

I think you would do better focusing on your own attention than on what your filters perceive as 'sarcasm' or as 'rude'.

My advice not to expect to be spoonfed is neither sarcastic, nor rude.
It's just a sincere piece of advice, distilled from the experience of someone who has been treading this path for quite some time.
If you had tried to look with more focus, the relevant post would not have 'skipped your attention'.

Besides, if you go up a few posts, you'll see that I'm not the one treating you like a child.
Part of being mature is dealing with things that cross your path not exactly in the way you would expect them to.

Take or reject what's being given, that's up to your discernment.
If you prefer to focus on appearance instead of content, you may be missing out a lot.

Sincerely,

lillith93
04-09-2010, 12:16 PM
If you're still not able to click on the provided link and find what you're looking for, some Internet Tutorials (http://www.google.com/search?q=internet+tutorial&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1) may be useful.
Hint: Click your mouse on the words Internet Tutorials (http://www.google.com/search?q=internet+tutorial&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1).

I get that you are trying to help me, but if you are aggravated with me then please do not show it when trying to help me. I'm only human and I will make mistakes. I don't deny that, and I have never tried. Please understand though, that when you criticize me it is better to make it constructive so that I understand without being offended. Most people would ignore the information you give them and simply take offense. So for future reference if you are helping a new student to Alchemy, try to make your criticism a little more constructive.

Thank You,
Lillith

Ghislain
04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Most people would ignore the information you give them and simply take offense.

lillith93 I think that Androgynus it trying to show you that one needs to be self
reliant...I would love for someone to lay everything on a plate for me but then I
would never mature. The difficulties are part of the recipe.

In your quote above, who loses out by ignoring the information?

You must look at these things in many ways. You have been given some sound
advice. Would you be the one to ignore it?

Ghislain

lillith93
04-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Look, I'm not saying I don't appreciate the advice, and I am not asking things to be handed to me. I don't know where people are getting this from. I simply asked someone to point me in the right direction, and people gave me a crap load of information. I've been sifting through and trying to find what can help, but I'm only human and I missed a few things. Androgynus pointed that out, and while I appreciate that he could have been a little more polite about it. What I meant in that quote was that if you are going to give advice you need to give it nicely. Less mature people would ignore the advice and focus only on what it is that offended them. I am not saying I am ignoring his advice. I am letting him know that some would.

Lillith