View Full Version : Linux

04-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Does anyone here use Linux and if so could you tell me if it is easy enough to
convert to using it.

I have always wanted to go over to Linux to get out of the clutches of the large
corporations but have been a bit afraid of jumping out of the frying pan and into
the fire so to speak.

Any info, good or bad, would be gratefully recieved

04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Yes, definetely do it, its a great alternative to using Windows/MS products, and with it being mostly open source code there is a huge community that continously develops apps, my favorite is Fedora, its much like a windows environment, I have it on one of my hardrives and I can boot either OS, especially when I want to see hidden stuff on cds/dvds that ms windows doesn't let you see.

04-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks Leo

I have a copy of Redhat sitting in the cupboard ... I bought it quite a few years ago.
Can I still use it or should I get a more current version.

04-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Live live cd!
Get the last.

There are also linuxs which are looking like win.
+open office, opera & gimp & u r out of corp bs.

04-05-2010, 01:46 PM
do it. I switched a year ago to ubuntu and would never come back. after 20 years in winzozz hoping not to have to format everything after each software upgrade, now I still can't believe software can be so stable. no more bluescreens, no more system crashes, no virus, and at every upgrade system is faster then its predecessor on the same hardware, as it should be.
it may ask you a little effort to learn how to set everything in tune with your hardware, but once it's done you have total control on everything that happens inside your system.

04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks all for your input...I will look for the latest version...I was reading mine
and it already seemed a little dated...might get the old comp out of mothballs just
to be sure :)

04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
No install, just put it in.