PDA

View Full Version : Phosphorus - Keeps popping up

nav2010
04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Can't seem to get away from the curious properties of Red Phosphorus, Violet Phosphorus and Black Phosphorus and their respective involvement in transmutation. We all know about Hennig Brand and his attemps to produce the stone from Phosphorus, his discovery and experimentation with the element etc.
Some of the Alchemical texts I read years ago including some of Flamels work seem to fit some of the properties of Phosphorus. For example White Phosphorus when left in direct sunlight changes into the Red form of the element over time. When Red Phosphorus is heated to a certain degree over time (1-2 weeks) it changes to the Violet Phosphorus Hittorf mentions. More than interesting is Johann Wilhelm Hittorf and his experiment in which he re crystalises Red Phosphorus from lead to obtain the famous Hittorf's Phosphorus which is a Red/Purple crystaline form. Can't help but notice the properties of Phosphorus accounting for unknown elements in some of the Alchemical texts I read many years ago. For example, some of Hittorf's work in explaining the many wonderful colours when Red changes to Violet is more than similar to Flamel's description of the colours obtained just before he reaches the deep red of the stone. Of course Brand did not follow Flamel's other data on the subject to the same degree and so failed to produce the stone. But I can't help wondering if Phosphorus is the key to it all. It is also interesting that DNA and RNA are made from Phosphorus and that any Elixir produced in such a way would have links to that fact. Perhaps instead of re crystalising Red Phosphorus from lead, Hittorf should have concentrated on doing it from an amalgam of Mercury and Gold. Perhaps this is what concentrates the seed of life into the said Phosphorus before it is baked over the two weeks into the Violet version, all interesting stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotropes_of_phosphorus

LeoRetilus
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Thats wyrd I woke up this morning thinking about that again...check what i wrote in the Contemplations on Nitrogen Thread (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?p=7465&highlight=phosphorus#post7465)

I find not only evidence in phosphorus in most stones spoken about through history but also all other members of the nitrogen family, as I have written numerous times else where on this forum all have 3 electron holes in there outer shells, which allows for tri-une bonding. The nitrogen triple bond is the strongest in nature and is what gives the power to dew that is used in some paths. Antimony for the fire stone, bismuth for the Red Lion Path of which you will find a Thread that I also started in the practical section some time back. Arsenic is spoken of in other stones and behaves much like nitrogen, even in its chemistry. Antimony is a go between seemingly a metal but has chemical properties of a non metal. And phosphorus for plant/animal stones, however nitrogen could be used here interchangably as plants/fungi that fix nitrogen are quite useful. But one must be careful here that he does not attribute the virtue these chemicals bring to their chemical nature, it is the life, read spiritus mundi, that they were binded to, that they carry and that they transfer to the metal crystal lattice of this much I am sure. Welcome to the forum.

nav2010
04-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Thats wyrd I woke up this morning thinking about that again...check what i wrote in the Contemplations on Nitrogen Thread (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?p=7465&highlight=phosphorus#post7465)

I find not only evidence in phosphorus in most stones spoken about through history but also all other members of the nitrogen family, as I have written numerous times else where on this forum all have 3 electron holes in there outer shells, which allows for tri-une bonding. The nitrogen triple bond is the strongest in nature and is what gives the power to dew that is used in some paths. Antimony for the fire stone, bismuth for the Red Lion Path of which you will find a Thread that I also started in the practical section some time back. Arsenic is spoken of in other stones and behaves much like nitrogen, even in its chemistry. Antimony is a go between seemingly a metal but has chemical properties of a non metal. And phosphorus for plant/animal stones, however nitrogen could be used here interchangably as plants/fungi that fix nitrogen are quite useful. But one must be careful here that he does not attribute the virtue these chemicals bring to their chemical nature, it is the life, read spiritus mundi, that they were binded to, that they carry and that they transfer to the metal crystal lattice of this much I am sure. Welcome to the forum.
I just came off a whole bunch of stuff relating to Antimony and its practical applications. You'll probably know that the metal expands on cooling, that alone opens up Pandora's box when you look at the complexities of what expanding on cooling can acheive, especially if you can contain the metal 100%. Doesn't bare thinking about actually.
Thanks, nice to be here.