PDA

View Full Version : wine quotes

solomon levi
06-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Well, tobacco was so successful, i couldn't leave out its handmaiden.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." - Benjamin Franklin

"God in His goodness sent the grapes, to cheer both great and small; little fools will drink too much, and great fools not at all." - Anonymous

"In wine there is truth." (In vino veritas) - Pliny the Elder

"I have lived temperately . . . I double the doctor's recommendation
of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

"Come quickly! I am tasting stars!" - Dom Perignon (1638-1714) at his
first sip of champagne

comment: sounds like Dom was an alchemist - celestial agriculture!

"I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles." - Bishop of Seville

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin

"Writing in my sixty-fourth year, I can truthfully say that since I reached the age of discretion I have consistently drunk more than most people would say is good for me. Nor did I regret it. Wine has been for me a firm friend and a wise counsellor. Often...wine has shown me matters in their true perspective, and has, as though by the touch of a magic wand, reduced great disasters to small inconveniences. Wine has lit up for me the pages of literature, and revealed in life romance lurking in the commonplace. Wine has made me bold but not foolish; has induced me to say silly things but not to do them." - Duff Cooper, "Old Men Forget"

"Wine to me is passion. It's family and friends. It's warmth of heart and generosity of spirit. Wine is art. It's culture. It's the essence of civilization and the art of living." Robert Mondavi, "Harvests Of Joy," Autobiography

"Wine can be considered with good reason as the most healthful and the most hygienic of all beverages." - Louis Pasteur

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" - Galileo Gallilei

"I used to think drinking was bad... so I stopped thinking." - ???