PDA

View Full Version : The Basilisk and the Cockatrice

solomon levi
07-10-2010, 12:27 PM
basilisk:
c.1300, from L. basiliscus, from Gk. basiliskos "little king," dim. of basileus "king" (see Basil); said by Pliny to have been so called because of a crest or spot on its head resembling a crown.

cockatrice:
late 14c., from O.Fr. cocatriz, altered by influence of coq from L.L. *calcatrix, from L. calcare "to tread" (from calx (1) "heel"), as translation of Gk. ikhneumon, lit. "tracker, tracer." In classical writings, an Egyptian animal of some sort, the mortal enemy of the crocodile, which it tracks down and kills. This vague sense became hopelessly confused in the Christian West, and in England the word ended up applied to the equivalent of the basilisk. A serpent hatched from a cock's egg, it was fabled to kill by its glance and could be slain only by tricking it into seeing its own reflection. Belief in them persisted even among the educated because the word was used in the KJV several times to translate a Hebrew word for "serpent." In heraldry, a beast half cock, half serpent.

I have another, cabalistic, "translation" of cockatrice: it is our crocodile...

crocodile:
1560s, restored spelling of M.E. cocodrille (c.1300), from M.L. cocodrillus, from L. crocodilus, from Gk. krokodilos, word applied by Herodotus to the crocodile of the Nile, apparently due to its basking habits, from kroke "pebbles" + drilos "worm."

Some of these cabalistic allegories are quite complex. As we saw in the unicorn thread, we joined an Etruscan goddess, Uni, with a Celtic god,
Cernunnos! Well, this one will be just as complex.

I'll elaborate on this later. I'm too sleepy. :)

Joy
07-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Solomon ..thru a lot of troubles, I finally made it back here with an old opera version, don`t know how long it will work ...latly you start all the topics I am most
interesting in, but I can not reply ... I should have been infected already .. you think it
is secure to write here?

Coming back to the basilik .. is he not a symbol, also connected with the medusa?

Just thinking that he had to look in the mirror, mercur puts before him in the
aurora consurgens!

greetings ...Joy

Salazius
07-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Gracias Solomon. The Basilic mythology is very interesting from an alchemical point of view.

Joy, you rise an interesting point with the mirror. I was talking with a fellow some hours ago, and the question of the mirror rised several time... too much coincidences for this day :)

The eye of the basilic can petrify you, make you like a stone. So, if the little king look at himself, he transforms himself into a Stone.
I don't know why, but the idea of the "princess kissing the frog" and the "toad milking at the breast of the woman" (Maier, Atalanta.F) are for me in link...

solomon levi
07-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Solomon ..thru a lot of troubles, I finally made it back here with an old opera version, don`t know how long it will work ...latly you start all the topics I am most
interesting in, but I can not reply ... I should have been infected already .. you think it
is secure to write here?

Coming back to the basilik .. is he not a symbol, also connected with the medusa?

Just thinking that he had to look in the mirror, mercur puts before him in the
aurora consurgens!

greetings ...Joy

Greetings Joy.
Glad you made it back.

I'm pretty sure it's fine to write here. Just don't accept any prompts, I guess,
but personally I haven't seen any on my version. My computer already runs
kind of crappy, but i haven't notice any change since I've been writing.

Yes, the mirror/twin is indeed significant - And i can say this now for the first
time, knowing what the Secunda materia is (but still realising how to work
with it).

Our twin matters are precisely identical in their mineral/atomic composition,
save for the swapping of the male and female element.
Our male is indeed present by the appearance of mars, but our female
is not venus - not in the literal sense as mars is our male.

sol-dieu(r)

Joy
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello Solomon,

Is sulfur not our king and mercury or queen?

The basilisk is compared with an elixier, which can kill the base metal upon which
it is projected and tinge it to silver or gold in an instant.

Hey .. Salazius ... the mirror is an interesting longer topic on itself, just thinking about
the mirror we find in Hades underworld... the mirror of thruth

Joy:)

solomon levi
07-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Hello Solomon,

Is sulfur not our king and mercury or queen?

The basilisk is compared with an elixier, which can kill the base metal upon which
it is projected and tinge it to silver or gold in an instant.

Hey .. Salazius ... the mirror is an interesting longer topic on itself, just thinking about
the mirror we find in Hades underworld... the mirror of thruth

Joy:)

Hi Joy, and Salazius.
I had a lot I was going to say about this topic, but my attention has been
pulled elsewhere for the time being. Hopefully I'll return to it.

Sulphur and mercury... literally? How do you mean?
There is no chemical sulfur or mercury in the Secunda that I know.
But as male and female, certainly.

The new thing I saw in the Basilisk has to do with green language.
It is our little king, like they refer to the regulus of Antimony. But Basilisk,
IMO does not refer to antimony. I would emphasize the silisk/silix. ;)

sol