PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE - virus 2010

Awani
09-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi everyone

Well, it was actually good this happened over the summer... activity always goes down at that time - if we are going to see something positive.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/back.png

I know what the problem is, and the people supposed to do it for money either could not or yet have not. So like most things easiest to fix by myself, problem is this is a PC thing (can't fix it on my Mac). But I think I have one now I can use.

Any additional advice is helpful.

BACKSTORY
Reason for delay in dealing with this, and with broken deadlines, have been many and I won't bore you with them. But for a long time I was not able to enter the forums to do anything, I have got rid of that block now.

Also I have been doing a lot of stuff off-line, so it really came at a bad time.

Then on top of this the fee for the URL went out, that is why it closed. I didn't know it was due. Paid now.

FUTURE
The forums continue, we will do some cleaning... and then back to business!

In the meantime things should function as they did... I know how to stop the blockage with Mac, not with PC. Members have already suggested stuff in other threads.

Thanks to Andro, Ghislain, Sol, sleeveless and others for some aid.

:cool:

Aleilius
09-06-2010, 03:18 AM
I know what the problem is, and the people supposed to do it for money either could not or yet have not. So like most things easiest to fix by myself, problem is this is a PC thing (can't fix it on my Mac). But I think I have one now I can use.

Any additional advice is helpful.
Here is the best advice, and will result in fixing this problem in full:

"The security hole that results in the virus needs to be patched. You can't simple remove the malicious code. Infection will occur over, and over until it's patched. The best recommendation is to upgrade to the newest version of vBulletin, or perhaps there's a security patch for it offered by vBulletin."

I have offered to help a few times! IT work is my profession.

True Initiate
09-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Nice to see you back Deviadah.I was hoping this site will not disappear.

Awani
09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Here is the best advice, and will result in fixing this problem in full...

I haven't been able to access the forums and read much... I will look into this and do that then.

horticult
09-09-2010, 07:57 PM
That fucking virus is back.

Awani
09-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Not back, still here...

I am about to upgrade the forums like Aleilius suggested... I just want to be sure first that nothing gets lost in the upgrade.

Also any ideas how to improve security, even with manual admittance some fuckers still get through? Invite only? Or 75 % of the forums only accessible by members who have 25 or more posts or something?

horticult
09-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Also any ideas how to improve security, even with manual admittance some fuckers still get through? Invite only? Or 75 % of the forums only accessible by members who have 25 or more posts or something?

I am afraid that this has nothing to do with most viruses.
I am not an expert in this area, backup & upgrade.

Awani
09-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I am now waiting for a reply from vBulletin... once I get this I will upgrade the forums to 4.0 (I think it is).

This will result in the end of these troubles!

If the reply from vBulletin is negative, I have to pay again to upgrade... if it is positive I can do it for free. Regardless I will do it... so just a few more days of patience!

Also any suggestions regarding improving security is appreciated, to make sure this doesn't happen again! The good thing is that if it does it will next time be a quicker fix...

True Initiate
09-15-2010, 01:07 AM
How much you must pay for the upgrade?

Awani
09-15-2010, 04:14 AM
If I have to pay it will be around 200 dollars, but that's for at least a year.

Awani
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
UPDATE COMPLETE!

All virus shit should be cleared up now... not sure if necessary, but perhaps good to change password!

Regarding the look, give me a little time and I will make it more familiar again.

The important thing is that nothing of the posts are lost and that the virus has been shown the door... the rest is just make-up.

Awani
09-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Now we are back on google, the ban is lifted!

Yeah!