PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Void

Awani
09-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKzLGgTbAe0)

:cool:

Awani
07-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Took a year for this film to turn up in the cinema in my part of the world. Truly an amazing film. If you like it or not is beside the point, none can say it is not highly original. See it!

It has a negative view, IMO, of smoking DMT. I have yet never done this myself although I have read a lot about other peoples accounts and they don't fit with what is seen in the film. The person smoking it is also a druggie taking LSD, Coke, MDMA, DMT and other shit in a bad mix... I don't think the film does the psychadelic community any good... so in this respect it is bad. Although I guess it is how you look at it. If anyone else has seen it perhaps I can get another view on it.

Awani
07-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Maybe I found the answer:

Interviewer: You start Enter The Void with the character on drugs, and you have a reference to the fact that DMT is the same chemical your brain emits when you die.

Gaspar No: They say that you have DMT inside your brain in the hypophysis, in the middle of the brain. There’s this theory that the DMT you have inside your brain helps you to or allows you to have dreams. Why do you need to dream? What is the positive aspect that generates the need of dreams among humans? Because everything has to go for the survival of the species. So maybe the dreams make the people stronger, whatever. But they say if you have a car crash, or if you’re dying, there’s this theory that says some people can release huge amounts of DMT. Then you have a hallucination that is very close to the ones you can have whether you’re smoking DMT or drinking it. Things I’ve read. [Laughs.] - source (http://www.avclub.com/articles/gaspar-noe,45554/)

The writer/director has NOT taken it himself... his only mistake if he is doing such a film. What a shame, it could have been a masterpiece... instead of an interesting and experimental film.

solomon levi
01-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Took a year for this film to turn up in the cinema in my part of the world. Truly an amazing film. If you like it or not is beside the point, none can say it is not highly original. See it!

It has a negative view, IMO, of smoking DMT. I have yet never done this myself although I have read a lot about other peoples accounts and they don't fit with what is seen in the film. The person smoking it is also a druggie taking LSD, Coke, MDMA, DMT and other shit in a bad mix... I don't think the film does the psychadelic community any good... so in this respect it is bad. Although I guess it is how you look at it. If anyone else has seen it perhaps I can get another view on it.

There used to be someone on the forum who wanted me to give them the Essene's
phone number because they had smoked DMT and were now hearing voices that
told them to do bad things. He swore he knew the Essene but he had lost his #.
I don't know - to me if you lose an alchemist's phone # it is not an accident.
Whether people consider the Essene an alchemist or not, he is an amazing being
and powerful magician - sort of a don Juan sorcerer figure. One side of his face
is deformed from what I was told was a lab explosion - he told me something to
the effect that he had tried to go against the Angel. So he even has one
"unusal eye" and one good eye which has been related to sorcerers.

Anyway, my point is, I guess there can be a "bad side" to smoking DMT.
I got to try this myself a year or so ago. After knowing this person's experience,
I was a bit hesitant, but the guy who gave it to me encouraged me with his
experiences. I guess if you smoke enough, a hit pushing beyond what is comfortable,
you go out of your body, which also seems like death. You can experience a trip
which seems to last a long time, but you actually return to your body and pretty
much regular awareness in less than a minute!
When I have smoked it, I didn't push it because of my hesitancy. Instead it was just
like mushrooms, which can be freaky enough. There are lots of colors and walls and
everything start to move and breathe and sway and turn to geometrical patterns. It
scared me a bit because I felt like it was pulling me in to that place where I feel I may
not be able to return from. But then suddenly it all calms down and everything is back
to normal and there's no drag or hangover effects or anything - you're completely
normal and can reflect on your experience. Once I let go of the fear, I would do like three
of these "short trips" in a row, just to return to the experience and lose my fear. It was
really wonderful. I really got in touch with the earth which was extremely beautiful
and pleasant.
I still didn't push it to "the big trip" though. Maybe someday. :)

Haven't seen the film. I'll have to look for it.

Awani
01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes, I am not saying DMT is not a scary thing, but in the film it is used by an addict, abusing all kinds of shit, ending up being shot by the police and then we get to see what happens when he leaves his body. If I knew nothing I would not smoke DMT after having seen this film. Although I still think the film is great... when something is original it is always worthy of praise... even if it is "bad".

Novelty is a rarity these days!

But I will smoke it one of these days... in fact I want to inject it, be a subject in a future DMT study. One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind-kind of stuff!

thrival
03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
http://www1.zmovie.co/movies/view/enter-the-void

zoas23
03-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Maybe I found the answer:

The writer/director has NOT taken it himself... his only mistake if he is doing such a film. What a shame, it could have been a masterpiece... instead of an interesting and experimental film.

LOL....
Typical Argentinean tongue-in-cheek humor.

Statements like "They say that....." or "I have a friend who has done X thing" or "A friend has told me that... " are usual ways of talking about yourself in public without openly stating that you are talking about yourself.

Reading such thing... I'm 100% sure that Gaspar No has actually taken DMT.

I think it is a fantastic film!
(It isn't a "propaganda" film for the "psychedelic community"... but I don't think No was trying to do such thing).

Awani
03-31-2013, 12:42 AM
I think it is negative. The guy taking DMT is behaving like a druggie.

People who can't be open about their psychedelic experiences are doing more harm than good. Especially an artist who does not need to worry about his job (drugs and art is not as controversial as drugs and having a normal job).

zoas23
03-31-2013, 02:37 AM
I think it is negative. The guy taking DMT is behaving like a druggie.
People who can't be open about their psychedelic experiences are doing more harm than good. Especially an artist who does not need to worry about his job (drugs and art is not as controversial as drugs and having a normal job).

Oh.... I was explaining that it is very typical, in Argentina (Gaspar No is Argentinean) to speak like that.
And that what he said is actually a typical way of stating that he has done it... he's just using some tongue-in-cheek humor... or an implicit way of saying that he has done it.
This way of speaking is very typical in interviews, specially when a person wants to say something "controversial" without having to discuss a lot about it.
He probably wants to be "Gaspar No, the film director"... and not "Gaspar No, the film director who uses DMT". A lot of people don't wanna be "labeled".

(And I have some friends* who are also quite close to him... and I know he actually knows DMT face-to-face... and I know he has nothing against it).
-And no, this time when I said "friends" it's not a tongue-in-cheek way to say that I know him... but I know people who does.

And I think that the film isn't "negative", even if the character is a junkie.... and also a very non-interesting person. Specially because the film wants to speak about his after-life experience... and clearly didn't want to show a "saint" or a "holy man", not even a specially "spiritual" person... he wanted a loser with a horrible life, surrounded by horrible people... having an amazing experience after his death, becoming wise after his death.
So the real "character" is his after-life experience.

I really liked it.

Awani
03-31-2013, 02:59 AM
Ok I get you, and don't get me wrong I liked the film as well. I just think it is unnecessary to have a junkie do it. Psychedelics have enough bad rep as it is. Why not a normal guy searching for something in his still horrible life? It is a simple change that could have been done to the script. Oh well, maybe next time...

thrival
04-03-2013, 12:00 AM
I liked the film and didn't find it to be judgemental beyond its starkness. I could even empathize with the main character; if he was a junkie, it was because of the incredible beauty he found in those substances he was ingesting and sharing (selling.) He didn't seem to be in it ruthlessly, just for the money. Unfortunately he was also completely blind to the drugs' (and his own) corrupting aspects upon the persons he came in contact. That's what I found so unusual about the film its honesty, without moralizing. And that's why I like Buddhism-- it tends to be more about discovering reality, than selling a prepackaged version that everyone must buy into.