PDA

View Full Version : Solar concentrators

solomon levi
10-09-2010, 04:40 AM
There's a variety of these you can find on youtube - Fresnell lenses, Parabolic mirrors, etc.
These can melt metals.

I like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtzRAjW6KO0

Aleilius
10-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Yeah, that's pretty cool stuff. I've seen some bitching solar furnace metal smelters. I've got a pretty big double convex lens to play with. I've been wanting to setup an extended experiment using this lens to melt lead. The idea is that over the course of a few months the lead should begin to change weight due to transmutation caused by the sun. This weight change should be readily apparent, and weighable.

Source: John French - Art of Distillation

AN OBSERVATION UPON THE BEAMS OF THE SUN AND HEAT OF THE FIRE HOW THEY ADD WEIGHT TO MINERAL & METAL BODIES

Take of any mineral liquor and set it in an open vessel in the sun for a good space, and it will be augmented in quantity and weight. But some will say that this proceeds from the air, to the which I answer and demand whether the air had not this impregnation from the sun, and what the air has in itself that proceeds not from the sun and stars.

Put this liquor in a cold cellar or in a moist air, and you shall find that it increases not in weight, as it does in the sun or in the fire (which has in this respect some analogy with the sun). I do not say but haply it might attract some little moisture which is soon exhaled by any small heat.

Dissolve any sulphurous and imperfect metal, as iron, copper, or zinc, in aqua fortis or any other acid spirit. Then abstract the spirit from it. Make it glowing hot, yet not too hot, so that the spirit may only vapor away. Then weigh this metal calx and set it in a crucible over the fire. But melt it not, only let it darkly glow, let it stand so three or four weeks, and then take it off and weigh it again. You shall find it heavier than before.

Set any sulphurous metal, as iron or copper, with sixteen or eighteen parts of lead on a test made with ashes of wood or bones in a probatory furnace. First weigh the test copper and lead before you put them into the furnace. Let the iron or copper fly away with the lead, yet not with toe strong a heat. Then take the test out and weigh it, and you shall find it (though the metals be gone) when it is cold to be heavier than it was when it was put into the furnace with the metals. The question is now whence this heaviness of all the aforesaid minerals and metals proceeded, if that the heat of the sun and fire through the help of the minerals and metals be not fixed into a palpable mineral and metal body?

Set a test with lead or copper in the sun. With a concave glass unite the beams of the sun, and let them fall on the center of the metal. Hold the concave glass in your hand, and let your test never be cold. This will be as well done in the sun as in the fire. But this concave must be two feet in diameter, and not too hollow or deep, but about the eighteenth or twentieth part of the circle, so that it may the better cast its beams forth. It must be very well polished.

Calcine antimony with a burning glass and you shall see it smoke and fume and be made drier than before, yet weigh it and it will be heavier than before.

I shall take in, for the confirmation of all this, a relation of Sir Kenelme Digby concerning the precipitating of the sun beams. I remember (says he) a rare experiment that a nobleman of much sincerity and a singular friend of mine told me he had seen which was, that by means of glasses made in a very particular manner and artificially placed one by another, he had seen the sun beams gathered together and precipitated down to a brownish or purplish red powder. There (says he) could be no fallacy in this operation. For nothing whatsoever was in the glass when they were placed and disposed for this intent. And it must be in the hot time of the year, else the effect would not follow. Of this magistery he could gather some days nearly two ounces, and it was a strong volatile virtue, and would impress its spiritual quality into gold itself (the heaviest and most fixed body we converse withal!) in a very short time.

I leave it now to the reader to judge whether the beams of the sun and and the heat of the fire add weight to minerals and metals.

solomon levi
10-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Yes. If you search google books for the use of these and magnifying lenses, you'll find
they were able to produce oils and calxes from some metals. ;)

garvolt2002
10-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Arcana Divina is all about that process. I believe it is the way to make the Mercury of the Philosophers as well the treu and authentic way.

Aleilius
10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Maybe, and maybe not. It is a good question, and needs some real replication work.

Ghislain
10-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I wonder what would result from distillation of mercury using a solar concentrator?

While looking into distilling mercury I came upon this (http://www.prospectorsparadise.com/html/mercury.html) site which has some useful info on handling
it.

Ghislain

Aleilius
10-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I wonder what would result from distillation of mercury using a solar concentrator?

While looking into distilling mercury I came upon this (http://www.prospectorsparadise.com/html/mercury.html) site which has some useful info on handling
it.

Ghislain

Yeah, I was thinking about something like this earlier. Mentioned it to Seth-Ra. Instead of distilling mercury, let's incubate it in the so called "Philosopher's Egg" by concentrating intense solar radiation on it via a lens. It should give interesting results.

Ghislain
10-09-2010, 01:39 PM
I am not familiar with the Philosophers Egg or Aludel, but reading up on it on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aludel) it would appear to be
used with a furnace, giving an all round unified heat...Would a lens directed heat source work with this?

Also what would happen when the mercury becomes gaseous? Would you lose your material or would the egg
explode?

Has anyone a link with a better explanation as to how the egg works.

Thanks

Ghislain

garvolt2002
10-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I feel any experiment using normal mercury will be a waste of time. Just poor chemistry.

Ghislain
10-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I feel any experiment using normal mercury will be a waste of time. Just poor chemistry.
Garvolt, wouldn't you be curious to see if the mercury gained weight?

If it did what might be the cause?

I'm sure that some of the greatest discoveries were
made while wasting a little time :)

Ghislain

garvolt2002
10-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Garvolt, wouldn't you be curious to see if the mercury gained weight?

If it did what might be the cause?

I'm sure that some of the greatest discoveries were
made while wasting a little time :)

Ghislain

No problem with that but I believe your matter must be living not dead. I am open to any experiment but we are always told it a living mercury not vulgar mercury.

Aleilius
10-10-2010, 12:04 AM
I am not familiar with the Philosophers Egg or Aludel, but reading up on it on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aludel) it would appear to be
used with a furnace, giving an all round unified heat...Would a lens directed heat source work with this?

Also what would happen when the mercury becomes gaseous? Would you lose your material or would the egg
explode?

Has anyone a link with a better explanation as to how the egg works.

Thanks

Ghislain

Yeah, the egg needs to be pretty large, and quite thick so as to prevent an explosion from occuring due to pressurized gaseous mercury.

Interestingly enough, Fulcanelli mentions that at the end of the concoction of the Stone in the dry way the sealed crucible will burst like an egg hatching. I've also heard of this happening with the Philosopher's Egg. The cracking of the vessel signifies the completion of the Stone.

Aleilius
10-10-2010, 12:06 AM

A waste of time maybe, but I never said this was supposed to produce IT. This idea is just a little thought experiment. A what-if, you know?

Salazius
10-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Yes a Living Mercury.

But now, Hg is of course 'dead' comparing to this Mercury, but Hg is not 'dead' since it's not in putrefaction.

solomon levi
10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/1717/1584/1600/602041/Calcination%20solaire%20de%20l%27antimoine.%20%2C% 20planche%20h.-t.%20contenant%20du%20texte%20gr.s.c..jpg

Aleilius
10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Very nice image SL. Where'd you get this from? Is there anymore that accompanies it?

solomon levi
10-10-2010, 11:29 PM
There were other unrelated - non-solar - engravings.
I just happened upon it studying something else.
I'll see if I can find the page.

solomon levi
11-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Another image. I think this one has been shared before?

http://www.alchemydiscussion.com/attachment.php?id=44

solomon levi
11-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Here is another possible from Egypt. I give the link because i think the pic will be too big.
We see the Moon as one of the eyes of Horus being praised by Thoth/Hermes.
Is it a mirror, or a magnifying glass? :D

http://windblower.fatcow.com/images/blogimages/themoon.jpg

Joshua
01-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I was thinking about these mirrors and how they were made. Is the eye in the mirror because thats how they knew that the focus/surface was right... they could see their own big eye in it? Probably a stretch...

solomon levi
01-28-2011, 10:23 PM
I was thinking about these mirrors and how they were made. Is the eye in the mirror because thats how they knew that the focus/surface was right... they could see their own big eye in it? Probably a stretch...

I gathered that one eye was the concentration of the moons rays, the other eye the suns.

pneumatician
02-04-2012, 03:06 AM
http://builditsolar.com/Projects/Concentrating/concentrating.htm

solomon levi
09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
http://news.discovery.com/tech/rawlemon-globe-harvests-energy-sun-moon-120918.html#mkcpgn=fbsci1