PDA

View Full Version : Replying with Quotes

Ghislain
10-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Why, when the forum has a perfectly suitable tool for quoting other
material (not of the author), do people try to design their own.

I find it very confusing and sometimes only realise they are quoting
on perhaps the second or third read.

Would it not be clearer if everyone used the same format?

Just a thought!

Ghislain

edit: that was all me ;)

ps: away right now so if I don`t reply it is not that I`m ignoring anyone...viva la internet cafe

solomon levi
10-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Hi Ghislain.
For my part, referring to posting within one single quote, it's just easier
than copy and pasting many quotes when responding to a long post.
I'm always trying to use my time efficiently.
I thought that by using colors I could make it obvious, but I will also
give warning at the head of a post from now on.

I'm also ignorant of some techniques. I don't know how to use the multiple quote option I used to see,
nor do i know how people quote someone and it has their name in it. So I try to do the best I can.
I only know how to "reply with quote" and "wrap quote tags around a selected text".
And when it's a long post, it's easier to use the first option and write in between in color.

Feel free to educate me if you like. Are there other options?

Ghislain
11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
A few tricks I use when creating a post are:

1. Create them in Word...it has a good spell checker ;)

2. You can flit between the forum and Word cutting and pasting. Just put ´quote´ (inside [ ] square
brackets) before you paste and ´/quote´ (inside [ ] square brackets) after the paste. If you want
the “quote pointer” do the cut from a “reply with quote” and include the heading in your cut and
paste. E.g. ´QUOTE=Ghislain;11501´(inside [ ] square brackets) would make the quote point to the
first entry in this thread.

3. To point to any page on the net, or within the forum, just start with ´[´ then ´url=´ then the URL
you require, then ´]´. After this place any statement or even an IMG then finish with ´[/url]´ if the
statement was for instance ´here’ then only the word ´here´ would appear in the posted text. By
clicking on the IMG or text the reader will be taken to that page.

If using an image instead of a statement then it must be placed where the statement would
normally be placed in the format…´IMG´ (inside [ ] square brackets) then the URL of the image,
finishing with ´/IMG´(inside [ ] square brackets)

For example click here (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?1738-Marcasite) will take you to the thread ´Marcasite´

In all the cases above remove the inverted commas

Hope that is of some help

Ghislain

Edit: Sorry if the above looked confusing but it had to be written
like that or the formatting would not have shown up in the post