PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone reading at the moment?

mybodymyself
11-27-2010, 03:19 AM
As for me haven't been doing that much reading lately. Found that I hardly read any more as well. Have to say do have times like this and others don't. Guess it depends on the book itself as well. Anyway, have ton of books to start to read and etc.

As for me I'm reading Extraordinary, Ordinary, People: A Memoir of Family, Condoleezza Rice.

Nibiru
11-27-2010, 03:46 AM
I've recently acquired "The Middle Pillar" by Israel Regardie, so that is what I've currently been studying. If you haven't read any of Carlos Castaneda's books, you should look into getting some of his material. I think it is a good place to start for becoming familiar with spiritual discipline and they are written in the form of a story. They are quite captivating for most who have read them....

Awani
11-27-2010, 05:46 AM
Not reading anything at the moment, but the next book in line that I will read is probably The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot.

:cool:

Aleilius
11-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Not reading anything at the moment, but the next book in line that I will read is probably The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot.

I've read it earlier this year. It was decent/moderately good.

Awani
11-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Ok, well these days descent is what we should be happy about.

Excellent, well most books that are excellent were all written before either of us were born;)

Salazius
11-27-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm reading the "Alchemical and Hermetical Writings of Paracelsus". A lot lot about archemy, spagerics, but some very very good gems about Alchemy.

solomon levi
11-27-2010, 11:56 AM
I've got one from the library called "LSD: Doorway to the Numinous"
Wanted to see if it matches my visions at all. I've never had the opportunity to try it personally.
I'm usually reading several books at a time.
So I'm also re-reading "Quantum Consciousness" by Stephen Wolinsky - a great book,
and "Sepher Yetsirah" by Carlo Suares and "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross" by John Allegro.

If I find my Robert Monroe books I'd really like to re-read those. And the Castaneda books.

solomon levi
11-27-2010, 12:07 PM

"Wholeness and the Implicate Order" by David Bohm is another good one Dev. :)

mybodymyself
11-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Extraordinary, Ordinary, People: A Memoir of Family, Condoleezza Rice.Just finished reading the book that I mention in the quote. Have to say it was even though it took me a long time to read it. Expect these past few days of course. Unsure if I'm going to read her next memoir. Which I have no clue on the details of it.

Anyway, just started America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith and Flag, Sarah Palin.

Andro
01-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm currently reading 'The Angel's Game (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angels-Game-Carlos-Ruiz-Zafon/dp/0753826496/ref=pd_sim_b_2)' by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Can't put it down... Truly magical (to me)...

Salazius
01-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Harry Potter :)

(No just kidding, just in reference to another thread)

Seth-Ra
01-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Do audio books count? lol If so im listening to Bushido - by Inazo Nitobe and The Book of Five Rings - by Miyamoto Musashi.
Before that i was reading a bit of Paracelsus's Coelum Philosophorum, skimming through mostly, in my head converting his mineral/metal alchemy into animal alchemy. lol

~Seth-Ra

teofrast40
01-02-2011, 06:35 PM
hi,
yesterday I red L'abrege des secrets chymiques by Jean Pierre Fabre, today I'm reading
Raymvndi Lvlli ... liber, qui Codicillus, seu vade mecum inscribitur : in quo fontes alchimicae artis et reconditioris philosophiae traduntur, ante hac nunquam impressus
Kinda monomaniac..

True Initiate
01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
I am reading (and translating from french) eleventh degree monographie of the Rosicrucian order (AMORC).
He he he
Beat this if you can.

http://img248.imagevenue.com/loc510/th_96183_10_122_510lo.jpg (http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=96183_10_122_510lo.jpg)

vega33
01-02-2011, 07:28 PM
hi,
yesterday I red L'abrege des secrets chymiques by Jean Pierre Fabre, today I'm reading
Raymvndi Lvlli ... liber, qui Codicillus, seu vade mecum inscribitur : in quo fontes alchimicae artis et reconditioris philosophiae traduntur, ante hac nunquam impressus
Kinda monomaniac..

Nice on both counts! I've heard the Rosicrucian brother Fabre lets some interesting ideas slip in his work. Any reference to an English translation that you know of?

I'm reading Compass of the Wise, several Wikipedia articles, and some Creationist writings on "Radio-isotopes and the age of the earth". While the latter is inherently biased and contains some bad science, they do ask some probing questions and offer good insight into modern geological science processes.

Outside the sphere of reading I also visited an abandoned gold mine in the Coromandel region recently. Amazing what a difference being in such areas occasionally can make to the insights you receive from the Creator. For instance, realization that the author of Splendor Solis decorated several of his illuminated marginalia with images of plants and animals found prevalently in volcanic regions.

teofrast40
01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
hi vega33,
yes, Fabre is a GREAT author. that's why he's been the core of my year's ending party (me, my dog, some boiled vegetables, and good ol' Pierre Jean ;) ).
sorry, but I don't know of any english translation. well, to be fair I did not even look for it. If I can, I try to avoid translations. you can find the french edition of 1636 on googlebooks, that is quickly becoming a real goldmine.
and speaking of goldmines, next spring, I hope too to arrange some speleological trip in some abandoned mines, to look closer at interiora terrae. sometimes one must take a break from study..

Frater IA
01-03-2011, 03:42 AM
I am reading 3 texts currently:

Lessons of Enlightenment,

The Golden Dawn, (yes, I'm cheating, I feel that some of the material in each grade does not necessarily correspond to my own personal progress and the progress of my higher self, so I decided to just get right into it)

Also reading a book on Reiki that my wife bought me for Xmas, can't remember the title, but the Reiki story was very enlightening.

Salazius
01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
I've read the commentary of Adam Mc Lean on the Mutus Liber. The first part is okay, but the last one is not perfect in the analysis IMO.
Now I'm reading a french book on how to learn to heal the eyes, seeing without glasses.

theFool
01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Has anyone tried the "pinhole glasses"? Supposeddly, they are very good for computer screen users because your eyes are focusing in infinity all the time.

annabelle_lee
01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
I love reading, so I'm going to kick start this thread again.

Great Work: The Book of Abraham the Jew; although after reading the armchair alchemy thread I'm really tempted to go back and read Fucanelli's work

Pleasure: A Brush With Death, murder mystery

Future Vocation: The Dose Makes The Poison (A Plain Language Guide to Toxicology)

zoas23
01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm currently "reading" some 30 books all at once, but that's because I am writing an essay. So I'm re-reading parts of books I've already read in the past.

The huge list includes Plotinus, Porphyry, Dyonisus Areopagite, Eriugena, Origen, Nicholas of Kues, Pasqually, Louis Claude Saint Martin, Nag Hammadi, Pistis Sophia, Philo of Alexandria, Austin Spare (!), Malevich (!), Eckhart... I am forgetting some 20 authors or annonymous books!

(also, I assume I wrote a lot of these names with spelling mistakes... the English language transliterates a lot of names, specially the Greek ones, in a very different way than Spanish does... and checking the English name of each character made me feel lazy).

thoth
01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm reading "Plant Spagyrics" by Manfred Junius, a very good manual on plant spagyrics. I hope to make make some useful plant extractions while I am working on the other Alchemy

Am also reading Cyliani (as recommended by Fulcanelli as being honest and revealing)

Have just started again "Eighteenth century chemistry as it relates to Alchemy", by Encyclopedia Brittania 1771. Got this years ago from Kessinger publishing, but was a bit over my head at the time. It seems to be very upfont instructions on a huge amount of processes

I have printed off Limojin and plan to read him when I get time.

Trying to read the book of nature all the time, but the pages keep getting wet !! So many books, so little time ........

annabelle_lee
01-27-2012, 10:59 AM
I've got a copy of "Plant Spagyrics" by Junius in a box waiting for me, and I'm looking forward to delving into it. Although I think once college starts and I get a better foothold in chemistry that it won't be as dry for me.

Awani
01-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Just read Intelligence in nature by Jeremy Narby. Very good...

Cephal
01-29-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm reading an unrelated subject book called "On China" by Henry Kissinger. It's actually much better than I thought it would be at first.

Awani
02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Consciousness - the quest for the peak experience (http://www.amazon.com/Super-Consciousness-Quest-Peak-Experience/dp/1906787093/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329228898&sr=8-1) by Colin Wilson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Wilson).

Btw I highly recommend all of Wilson's books (both fiction and non-fiction).

chrysopoeia
05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Hello,
I usually can't walk out of a bookshop without buying something, yet reading it is another matter. At the moment, I'm "reading" Hypnagogia by Andreas Mavromatis, and Dreams by Carl Jung (for the second time). I should read more.

Salazius
05-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Flex magazine.

Krisztian
05-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Adam McLean's Study Course on the Most Holy Trinosophia. I was very taken by McLean's interpretation especially as it seems to mirror the esoteric path detailed by French alchemist Jean Dubuis, in Fundamentals of Esoteric Knowledge. Neither of these two students of alchemy refers to the other's description. Thus, it would seem, whoever wrote the Most Holy Trinosophia would have been describing an authentic spiritual experience coupled with an alchemical process.

Krisztian
05-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Radu Cinamar's Transylvanian Moonrise. A first-person account of spiritual events that he experienced in my old neighborhood, Erdély, or Transylvania, territory formerly belonging to Hungary (Magyarország).

MarkostheGnostic
05-08-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm finishing Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection by D.M. Murdock, just began The Long Trip: A Prehistory of Psychedelia by Paul Devereux, half way through The Psilocybin Solution: The Role of Sacred Mushrooms in the Quest for Meaning by Simon G. Powell & Graham Hancock, and nearing the end of The Astral Plane by C.W. Leadbeater, which I first read 40 years ago. In the mail today, I received a nice, green former library hardcover of Iamblichus on the Mysteries of the Egyptians, Chaldeans, and Assyrians by Iamblichus, and E=ms2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation by David Bodanis. The other day, a copy of The White Goddess: A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth by Robert Graves arrived. I confess that I purchased the whole set of Joseph Campbell's The Masks of God, and I have yet to begin the odyssey.

Corvidus
09-30-2012, 02:46 PM
I mostly sit around and read Rumi poems.
Mein Gott he's good!

But the moment I'm once again reading through Francis Bacon's Novum Organum.

Awani
03-10-2017, 09:49 PM
I think this is a cool, but forgotten, thread. Revival time.

Currently reading:

The Psychedelic Gospels by Brown & Brown
Joseph of Arimathea - the man who buried Jesus by Cruikshank

Recently finished:

Pilate - the biography of an invented man by Wroe

Yeah I'm doing some deep Bible studies at the moment. LOL.

Kiorionis
03-10-2017, 10:21 PM
At the moment, I'm reading:

The Root of Being: Ginseng and the Pharmacology of Harmony by Stephen Fulder

Illen A. Cluf
03-10-2017, 11:27 PM
Like Dev, I'm also doing some deep Bible studies at the moment: "Biblical Literalism: A Gentile Heresy", John Spelby Spong, 2016. A must read to understand how the New Testament came into being and what they actually mean.

Aham
03-11-2017, 02:01 AM
I'm on my 3rd iteration of the "Golden Chain of Homer" - Part 1 :)

zoas23
03-11-2017, 03:45 AM
I was reading a book and I returned to a book I had already read as to go on with the one I am reading.

I am re-reading Dante's essay "On Manarchy" and M. Maier's "Themis Aurea"...

Dante's book "decodes" the political sub-text of Maier, which seems a bit "conservative" if you don't get what he wants.

Both of them are certainly Monarchists (have in mind that other political systems were quite unthinkable when they wrote what they wrote... except as utopias... i.e, a "democracy" was quite unthinkable, the idea of communism and anarchism wasn't developed by then, etc).

But their STRONG Monarchism involved a complete rejection of the puppet governments of the Catholic Church... And what they wanted was a Civil Code (as opposed to a Theocratic Code of Laws). the two of them are very interesting. They also help to understand why there was a time in which being a Monarchist was VERY progressive (LOL, it was mostly like being a radical anarchist!). The two books are quite similar (Maier uses the Rosicrucian Order as an "excuse" to deliver his political ideas, but they are quite close to Dante... with a Lutheran twist).

Salazius
03-11-2017, 09:09 AM
Reading "Cerveau et Méditation", wolf Singer and Matthieu Ricard, treating about meditation and neurosciences, the effects and conceptions of both visions.