PDA

View Full Version : word games

vega33
12-22-2010, 07:08 PM
We all know in French there are many alchemical word games [eg oiseau (bird) = eau soi (water itself), as well as phonetic puns]. What about Latin?

Ventus=wind
Venter=belly
Simple. But
Strength (plural):
Vinus (strength), vinum (wine), venum = for sale (our gold is not for sale), venenum = poison/toxin (toxicum et venenum), venae = not only a blood vessel or vein or ore, but also a pore or cavity.

Finally: "and all Sages say that no tincture can be made without its latten, which latten is gold, without any double speaking"

For those who have ears (accusative plural: auris), let them hear:
aurum: gold (plural: aura)
aura: (nominative singular feminine) "breeze, breath (of air), wind; gleam; odor, stench; vapor; air (pl.), heaven;"

For those who wonder how a yellow cadaver can be a ferment for unbalancing the equation... perhaps this is a clue. This "gold" (odor, stench, etc) can indeed be found even on the dung heap, eh?

Any thoughts, or other word games you can think of in the texts?

solomon levi
12-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi Vega33

There are some etymological adventures here, some on latin:
http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?55-Words-Colors

Salazius
12-23-2010, 09:49 PM
All the alchemical texts IMO shouldbe read in their language of origin ... unfortunately, it's not always possible. But latin can give some marvellous examples of puns and double meanings, thanks for enlighting this S.L. :)

solomon levi
12-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I recall a bit of latin green language I posted a while back, but didn't notice it when I looked this time.

They say the stone must be revealed "from God".
I took this to mean latin - Ex Creator = excreatory; excrement.
Excrement is the black earth, the fertilizer (to make fertile - fer, ver, vir, fir(e), pur(e), veritas, verdigris, lion vert...the lost word - verbum.)
The vile thing which the Philosophers alone adore, recognizing (the seed of) gold in lead (saturn).
This green lion only needs maturity, wisdom (Sophia, ophis-serpent, Orphir-gold, sophis, sulphur, soul-fer... suffer, on a crucis (X), with three iron nails (it takes three!)...)

Aleilius
12-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Very nice post SL!

They say the stone must be revealed "from God".
I took this to mean latin - Ex Creator = excreatory; excrement.
Excrement is the black earth...
I really like this.

solomon levi
12-23-2010, 10:56 PM
I'd like to comment on the view "word games", as i have before, but with a little additional light.
"Word games" is a volatile view. The fixed view is "Green language".
We see the same perceptions with "mind games" and Magick.
What is the difference? None really. A different view, perspective, direction...
Mind/mens/moon/mercury games/trickster/camel/camelot/gimel is simply unmatured gold/sulphur.

At some point of maturity (not belief, but direct perception), mind games become true Magick: to "I-mage" becomes "to make" real, realize/Royal-ize.

solomon levi
12-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks Aleilius!

Andro
12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Excretion of the North Star > Ursa Major > Bear Shit > B'rashit :)

All the Kingdoms (kings and subjects alike) go to the bathroom, by the way - for 'minor' or for 'MAJOR' :)

Aleilius
12-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Excretion of the North Star > Ursa Major > Bear Shit > B'rashit :)

All the Kingdoms (kings and subjects alike) go to the bathroom, by the way - for 'minor' or for 'MAJOR' :)

Haha, nice way of putting it.

solomon levi
12-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Haha!
Another ex-cretion - urine, yearn, urn, Ur, Uri, Ari (lion), Eureka!
murine, mirroring, murder, merde (shit in french),
murk (darkness), mercury, myrrh (bitter)....

Aleilius
12-24-2010, 01:27 AM
You're going off on an interesting tangent SL with the etymology & phonetics of urine. Definitely the phoneme ir/ar/er/or/ur/yr is important. It was given to things that are able to grow, things that were able to take on life, things that were green, things that evolved, things that provoked life, etc. A while back in another thread I mentioned that urine hearkened to the matter in a phonetic way.