PDA

View Full Version : Greetings (Intro / Paracelsus / Full Metal Alchemist)

Alfred Raeburne
12-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Greetings,

My name is Alfred Raeburne and I am interested in many different facets of alchemy. I approach it from a philosophical, psychological, magical, scientific, and practical viewpoint. I personally hold that true self actualization takes place in both the inner (meditative / mystical) and outer (practicle) realms and that this ties into the maxim "As above / so below". I have much to learn and it is an honour to be accepted into this forum. I am in particular Need of learning alchemy from a practical angle and I do aspire to collect all of the needed equipment for plant alchemy / spagyrics.

My favorite alchemist is Paracelsus. The reason why he is my favourite is because he was a well rounded person. Aside from being highly intelligent and creative, he was also a powerful martial force and was well known for his skills with the sword. I believe that he had a full understanding of alchemy and integrated it into every part of his life. He was part Scholar, part Warrior, and part Healer. This is something that I wish to emulate.

One can find that Edward from Full Metal Alchemist is a bit of a reflection of Paracelsus due to the fact that he is also studious, martial, and a master of the craeft of Alchemy. When I did some research into how this anime was created, I found out that the author of this particular Manga did in fact explore Alchemy from a philosophical viewpoint and then decided to communicate alchemical ideas through the medium of cartoons and comics. Even the name "Full Metal Alchemist" is telling, because each metal represents a different aspect of the Self it would seem that Edward symbolized the holistic Self / Vessal undergoing alchemical transformation (after all, his mentor's name was "Flame" whose teachings act as a heating agent acting upon the crucible of his student.).

Warm Regards,
Alfred Raeburne

solomon levi
12-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Welcome Alfred.
I wish you success in realizing your aspirations. :)

solomon

Aleilius
12-30-2010, 02:59 AM
Hi Alfred, hope you enjoy our humble (well, possibly not so humble anymore :D) forum!

May you find the way.

Seth-Ra
12-30-2010, 03:17 AM
Welcome Alfred. :)

I also like FMA, and FMA 2: Brotherhood. There is quite a bit symbolism in it - for those who can find it. (one of my favorite past times actually. :D )
Im also a martial artist - specialty is swordsmanship, and i think elsewhere i mentioned how id like to do like Hohenheim (Paracelsus) and place a Philosopher's Stone in my sword... ive often thought of taking up forging and using alchemical substances to try and alter the properties, subtly and vulgarly, of the blades. (alas i never did - but im not dead yet so i may try at some point. :) )

Best wishes in your searching and learning.

~Seth-Ra

Awani
12-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi there and welcome!

:cool:

Joy
01-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Most welcome ... Joy