PDA

View Full Version : Alchemical Meditation

Brennus
04-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Can anyone suggest any meditations associated with alchemy? I do medittion to awaken my chakras,not sure though if this would hinder or help in alchemical operations.

Karl
04-26-2011, 10:14 PM
The traditional alchemical initiation is the preparation of 7 plant tinctures, essences, etc. corresponding to the 7 planets which one then takes to open and clarify the chakras. It sounds like you are on track. I do Kasina practice ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasina ) by spreading out whatever plant matter I have just separated after fermentation. I make a circular mandala with the plant (on a practical level in order to let it dry faster for later calcination) and use it as a meditation object. Building visualizations of alchemical illustrations is also a meditation practice. I'm not sure what meditation tradition you are working with but Vajrasattva practice involves visualizing clear liquid dripping down into the top of your head and filling you from the ground up, purifying your light body (distillation being an analogous process). I use this as a receiver vessel in my distillation train to strengthen the association: http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/crystalhead-vodka.jpg

Brennus
04-26-2011, 10:30 PM
The traditional alchemical initiation is the preparation of 7 plant tinctures, essences, etc. corresponding to the 7 planets which one then takes to open and clarify the chakras. It sounds like you are on track. I do Kasina practice ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasina ) by spreading out whatever plant matter I have just separated after fermentation. I make a circular mandala with the plant (on a practical level in order to let it dry faster for later calcination) and use it as a meditation object. Building visualizations of alchemical illustrations is also a meditation practice. I'm not sure what meditation tradition you are working with but Vajrasattva practice involves visualizing clear liquid dripping down into the top of your head and filling you from the ground up, purifying your light body (distillation being an analogous process). I use this as a receiver vessel in my distillation train to strengthen the association: http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/crystalhead-vodka.jpg

Thanks very much appreciated!

solomon levi
09-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm realising more and more a connection between meditation and alchemy.
What i mean by that is, much of the things i've discovered in practical alchemy,
I can experience them by meditating on them. For example, when I came across orgone
accumulators, I began making various models and items i could wear or have on my body.
But shortly after I became aware that i could just remember them, remember wearing them,
or remember the feeling of them, and I would be full of that feeling. So now I use that often,
and rarely wear any orgone devices.
There are other instances where I am building an athanoor and I place myself inside (not physically,
but in meditation) to measure the energy.

I realise that this is why some alchemists stressed that one should know the work from beginning to end
in your mind before starting it. It's like Tesla being able to see his machines in his mind before he built them.

Currently, I am having some good meditations on the magic squares of the planets.

I had a dream the other night and in it i was making the stone from saliva.
That was odd because i haven't much contemplated that path, but i have been more aware of my breathing.
Sometimes i meditate on that dream and the feeling of having the stone. :)

MarkostheGnostic
09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks very much appreciated!

Nice skull-bottle. I'm a long-time 'Dead Head'...Caput Mortuum!

http://i54.tinypic.com/2iuyfix.jpg

Seth-Ra
09-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I had a dream the other night and in it i was making the stone from saliva.
That was odd because i haven't much contemplated that path, but i have been more aware of my breathing.
Sometimes i meditate on that dream and the feeling of having the stone. :)

Have you ever contemplated doing meditative breathing, and with every exhale, visualizing the breath of Life being removed from you (cyclically, not to deprive yourself) as white-fire, but capturing it into a vessel? Obviously it will get some saliva from it, and id wager a sort of earth, or anima-gur would proceed from that. Ive thought of it and have attempted on occasion, but never stuck to it long enough, but i may change that and try it again.

Food for thought. :) (yes, pun intended. ;) )

~Seth-Ra

DSerios
09-09-2011, 12:13 AM
A simple exercise that helps develop ones perception and creativity

Step 1. Achieve a state of meditation(this step will require practice and
dedication for those not familiar with the practice).

Step 2. Focus on your third eye awareness, i find it helps to keep the other 2
closed. Feel your energy flowing all through you. Visualize this energy as light
all through your body.

Step 3. with each hand touch your opposing finger tips. Feel the energy
exchange as a "circuit" is complete. Separate your hands.

Step 4. Bring your hands back together but do not touch fingers. Instead feel
and visualize the energy as light filling the space between. Slowly spread your
hands wider and wider letting the energy grow into a workable sized ball.

Step 5. With your hands begin to shape and mold the ball. Make what ever you
wish. Form different shapes, animals, people, and whatever else comes to mind.
With practice there will be no limit to what you can create. Try this maybe
once a week or more if you enjoy it as I do. I have found with time I have
greatly developed my creativity as well as my senses.

Step 6. Don't forget at the end of this session to return the energy from
whence it came. I push it with my hands back into my stomach.

When you finish with this exercise you will rise ready to create and in the
proper state to accomplish whatever is your Great Work.

Serios

solomon levi
09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Have you ever contemplated doing meditative breathing, and with every exhale, visualizing the breath of Life being removed from you (cyclically, not to deprive yourself) as white-fire, but capturing it into a vessel? Obviously it will get some saliva from it, and id wager a sort of earth, or anima-gur would proceed from that. Ive thought of it and have attempted on occasion, but never stuck to it long enough, but i may change that and try it again.

Food for thought. :) (yes, pun intended. ;) )

~Seth-Ra

Hi Seth-Ra.
I had contemplated capturing the breath, but not adding meditation to it, which
would make an incredible difference IMO.
Also, one could enhance the inhales and exhales with other yin and yang associations
(like color, tempo, toning, visualisation...) to generate more orgone, if one were into that. :)

Seth-Ra
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi Seth-Ra.
I had contemplated capturing the breath, but not adding meditation to it, which
would make an incredible difference IMO.
Also, one could enhance the inhales and exhales with other yin and yang associations
(like color, tempo, toning, visualisation...) to generate more orgone, if one were into that. :)

Indeed, you are correct - my thoughts exactly. Capture and circulate the chi/ki etc - grow it, as a farmer grows a seed. ;)

~Seth-Ra

solomon levi
09-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Of course it is also, may I say, imperative, for an alchemist to meditate
on the Prima Materia, the four elements and quintessence, the planets, the four
colors/phases of the work.

Brennus, your chakra meditation can easily be modified to the 7 planets.
Depending on what you are going for (in some instances saturn/lead is on bottom
and in others it is on top like the kabbalistic tree of life) I prefer the order:
base - saturn/lead
sacral - jupiter/tin
solar plexus - mars/iron
heart - sol/gold
throat - venus/copper
third-eye - mercury
crown - luna/silver

Another wonderful meditation that I've done for years is a simple circulation.
You can detail this to fit whatever pranayama you may do, or try the Taoist Microcosmic orbit
or Castaneda's Infinity breath (from tensegrity).

Lumpino
11-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Can anyone suggest any meditations associated with alchemy? I do medittion to awaken my chakras,not sure though if this would hinder or help in alchemical operations.
I think, the best meditation are in books about eastern alchemy.
http://www.awakening-intuition.com/Secret-of-the-Golden-Flower.pdf
An old Alchemy book from China, taoistic alchemy. Concentration of about three months to the space between the eyebrows and then focus the mind to places in the middle of the chest, the best is the breath monitoring.
The same way use a yogis, who wont to obtain a supernatural powers. The Heaven heart in The secret of the Golden Flower is the Ajna Chakra in Yoga and a Fleshly heart in The secret of the Golden Flower is the Anahata chakra in Yoga.
In old yoga texts is wrote, that an anahata chakra concentration to drive away the old age and death.
See also The book of Lambspring, figure III
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/lambtext.html
In the Body there is Soul and Spirit
In old texts is the spirit between your eyes. The Heaven heart in The secret of the Golden Flower and in Yoga is in the chakra Ajna.
And soul in your breath, chakra Anahata in yoga. But currently have most of people only a few time, so, the second meditation, to Anahata chakra with follow the breath you can do before a bedtime, because of what do you think beföre bedtime, keep your mind for whole night.

Ghislain
11-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi Lumpino

Welcome to the forum.

http://www.levity.com/alchemy/images/lambs5.gif

May I ask you why you picked on this paticular image in "The Book of Lambspring"?

I put forward a suggestion of this image as a forum logo a while back. Although my interpretation left a
lot to be desired and recieved 0 votes ;)

http://genius.toucansurf.com/unicorn%20inforest.jpg

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?1294-Logo-Vote!

I cannot now remember my reason for choosing this image myself.

Ghislain

Albion
11-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I think, the best meditation are in books about eastern alchemy.
http://www.awakening-intuition.com/Secret-of-the-Golden-Flower.pdf
An old Alchemy book from China, taoistic alchemy. Concentration of about three months to the space between the eyebrows and then focus the mind to places in the middle of the chest, the best is the breath monitoring.
The same way use a yogis, who wont to obtain a supernatural powers. The Heaven heart in The secret of the Golden Flower is the Ajna Chakra in Yoga and a Fleshly heart in The secret of the Golden Flower is the Anahata chakra in Yoga..

In the first translation (not sure about the others) Cleary takes issue with Wilhelm's "between the eyes" interpretation.

Anyway, I don't mean to be contrary, only to provide some alternate translations (which I've yet to really study).

http://www.scribd.com/doc/69033360/Secret-of-the-Golden-Flower-Thomas-Cleary

http://webspace.webring.com/people/da/akrishi/goflower/gf_intro.htm

http://webspace.webring.com/people/da/akrishi/goflower/eng/gflower1.htm

http://lifeforcebooks.com/_Media/SecretGoldenFlower.pdf

Lumpino
11-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi Lumpino

Welcome to the forum.

May I ask you why you picked on this paticular image in "The Book of Lambspring"?

I put forward a suggestion of this image as a forum logo a while back. Although my interpretation left a
lot to be desired and recieved 0 votes ;)
I cannot now remember my reason for choosing this image myself.

Ghislain

I chose it because of that text. The spirit and soul.
It's like in other texts alchimickıch fire and water, sun and moon.....
Indicates the connection of two powers in a man.

Lumpino
11-02-2011, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=Albion;17041]
In the first translation (not sure about the others) Cleary takes issue with Wilhelm's "between the eyes" interpretation.

Anyway, I don't mean to be contrary, only to provide some alternate translations (which I've yet to really study).

[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, opinions can be different. But when I comparing various texts, the Eastern
alchemy I compare with the yoga texts that describe the same powers....
so I think, that the opinion of R. Willhelm is right.

Lumpino
11-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Supplement to meditate on the chakras.
In current westërn texts is strictly recommended meditate about all chakras. But, in eastern countrees are two ways. There about all chakras do a meditation only yogis, who want to awake the Serpent power, kundalini and terminate the cycle of lifes, to that calculated lives in a spiritual worlds too.
Yogis who wish to obtain a supernatural powers, and another life in a spiritual worlds do meditation only a one chakra. Mostly the chakra Anahata for a many years. Only this way awaken in the chakra hidden powers and powers of the lower chakras are then assigned themselves.
Several texts recomended concentartion about the chakra Ajna only. But, there is a great danger of self-destruction the yogi, who done it.

For the awakening the Anahata chakra may be used the follow the breath before a bedtime. Very accelerate the achievement of this

DanceofRebirth
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
A simple exercise that helps develop ones perception and creativity

Step 1. Achieve a state of meditation(this step will require practice and
dedication for those not familiar with the practice).

Step 2. Focus on your third eye awareness, i find it helps to keep the other 2
closed. Feel your energy flowing all through you. Visualize this energy as light
all through your body.

Step 3. with each hand touch your opposing finger tips. Feel the energy
exchange as a "circuit" is complete. Separate your hands.

Step 4. Bring your hands back together but do not touch fingers. Instead feel
and visualize the energy as light filling the space between. Slowly spread your
hands wider and wider letting the energy grow into a workable sized ball.

Step 5. With your hands begin to shape and mold the ball. Make what ever you
wish. Form different shapes, animals, people, and whatever else comes to mind.
With practice there will be no limit to what you can create. Try this maybe
once a week or more if you enjoy it as I do. I have found with time I have
greatly developed my creativity as well as my senses.

Step 6. Don't forget at the end of this session to return the energy from
whence it came. I push it with my hands back into my stomach.

When you finish with this exercise you will rise ready to create and in the
proper state to accomplish whatever is your Great Work.

Serios

For someone who's well beyond this in 'energy work' and has settled this into a rather daily repetitive habit, what would you suggest next?

solomon levi
01-26-2012, 03:41 AM
For someone who's well beyond this in 'energy work' and has settled this into a rather daily repetitive habit, what would you suggest next?

How about manifesting some etheric substance or ectoplasm?
Or create a cloud of invisibility.
Or levitate on a cloud of the energy... :)

I doubt these need any explanation, but if I were to try any, I would take
the energy between my hands and compress it and pull my hands back apart
to allow more energy in the space and compact it again, and again....

I haven't seen Serios around for a while. Not sure if s/he's still here.

Seth-Ra
01-26-2012, 04:25 AM
...I would take
the energy between my hands and compress it and pull my hands back apart
to allow more energy in the space and compact it again, and again....

I once moved a straw like that, without moving at all. With thought alone, i continued to compress and store the energy - same principle, and then "slammed" the compressed energy into the straw - and it moved exactly where i wanted, with this weird pulling sensation to my stomach chakra. (i figured it was due to that being the bodies "battery" as it were, and upon making such contact, the energy required, transferred out due to completion of the desired action.)
Was neat, i freaked out at the time cause it worked and then the pull on me... XD you reminded me of it with that description. Tis a great idea. :)

~Seth-Ra

DanceofRebirth
01-26-2012, 05:59 AM
I once moved a straw like that, without moving at all. With thought alone, i continued to compress and store the energy - same principle, and then "slammed" the compressed energy into the straw - and it moved exactly where i wanted, with this weird pulling sensation to my stomach chakra. (i figured it was due to that being the bodies "battery" as it were, and upon making such contact, the energy required, transferred out due to completion of the desired action.)
Was neat, i freaked out at the time cause it worked and then the pull on me... XD you reminded me of it with that description. Tis a great idea. :)

~Seth-Ra

I did that with my bedroom door once. I've been trying to repeat that circumstance for periods of time ever since. I'll try this and see if that's how I did it to begin with. I never considered it a building of will, simply 'pushing' in the right manners, but perhaps this is the key I've been missing. Hm. If it works, I'll let you know~

rogerc
01-26-2012, 06:16 AM

The Middle Pillar.....

DanceofRebirth
01-28-2012, 01:17 AM
The Middle Pillar.....

Alright. Thank you~

solomon levi
06-29-2012, 09:47 PM
A very simple and enjoyable meditation I call "the chair".
You sit or lie comfortably and relax with a few breaths.
You imagine that you are in a well-lit room and you are sitting in a chair
and there is a chair opposite you just a few feet away.
Depending on your purpose for meditation, someone is going to come from behind you
in the room and sit down in the opposite chair. For alchemy, let's say this someone is
your future self who has figured out or divinely received how to make the stone.
Or it doesn't have to be you. It could be Basil Valentine. I think it is easier to connect
with yourself, but try all kinds of things and see what works for you.
Anyway, the future successful adept version of you walks in from behind you
(I don't know if it matters - mine usually comes from my left) and sits down.
Feel free to imagine how this person is, or to receive it. If you want, put a time on it, or don't.
("This is me in 5 years when I can make the stone.")
Anyway, s/he sits down in the chair opposite you. You warmly introduce yourselves.
You have a conversation and do some catching up. You talk about alchemy and the stone
and how it was realised. etc, etc.
Then you ask if you may merge with this being. S/he is very welcoming to allow you.
You get up and sit in the chair of that being, in their body. You feel and know what it is to be that being.
You do this for a short time and then you say/feel 'thank you' and you return to your chair.
If that is all you prepare to return to 'normal' awareness. You count to ten and awaken fully refreshed and aware.

Be aware of the timeless nature of reality. You may receive everything now, in your sitting. Or you may notice
synchronicities in time as the present and future versions communicate more and more. During your sitting/chair experience,
hopefully s/he tells you s/he will be there to help you along the way; or just imagine they tell you that. Just be aware
of the possibility, because it is always happening anyway. Your future versions of you are your angels, and they have
their angels, so there's lots of assistance to be given if you're open.

Obviously, the chair can be used for thousands of things. Problem solving, dream recall and interpretation,
talking to any version of you or anyone, time travel, remote view, healing...
you simply imagine the being with the knowledge or quality you want in the other chair and go through the meditation.

This is one way to "download" information like Neo did in the Matrix.
Use your imagination - there's no limit to what you can put in the chair. :)

And eventually you don't need "the chair". Your intuition can do this very quickly/presently, wherever you are.

solomon levi
06-29-2012, 10:07 PM
The chair can be modified to your needs.
It could be an operating table where you do healings or genetic engineering...
It could be a sci-fi module like in "The Fly".
It could be a time travel machine...
It could be your spiritual/cosmic body that is intimately connected with everything...

Ankhhape
01-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Was wondering if any of you use or tried binaural beats or isochronic tones?

Bel Matina
01-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I find there's no replacement for realizing the nature of the stone. You may not see it if you haven't found it, but wherever you look, there it is. Remember that every moment is the same moment, and every place is the same place. Find what doesn't move. It's like the sun; you could travel the whole earth over, and your relationship to it would be the same. Until you find it, any kind of meditation is just "mining", so try anything and everything. When you have found it, it all becomes a matter of fixing yourself to the stone; everything is corrolary to that One Thing.

solomon levi
01-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Remember that every moment is the same moment, and every place is the same place. Find what doesn't move. It's like the sun; you could travel the whole earth over, and your relationship to it would be the same... everything is corrolary to that One Thing.

this description is so like my dreams lately. last night i was rejecting anything that moved. two nights ago i was dreaming that everyplace on a circle has the same view, thus the round flask. :)

solomon levi
01-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Was wondering if any of you use or tried binaural beats or isochronic tones?

i have. there were some i liked very much.

Ghislain
01-01-2016, 01:17 PM
This is something I have wondered about meditation for a long time, but I haven't given it a lot of attention...perhaps I will now.

Your Cells Are Listening: How Talking To Your Body Can Help You You Heal (http://themindunleashed.org/2015/12/your-cells-are-listening-how-talking-to-your-body-can-help-you-heal.html)

Ghislain

JinRaTensei
01-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Since this thread is about meditation I would like to ask a general question to any and everyone who wishes to answer,thank you!

How long (seconds,minutes,hours?!) can you be thoughtless while meditating,how long can your mind remain still and are you actually thoughtless or do you allow the mind/thoughts to do its thing without paying attention/focusing on the single thoughts.

Myself as of now I can´t be longer without any thought than 1-2 minutes and about 5-7 minutes without actively engaging in thoughts but them still floating in the mind.

It is said that a still mind and courageous heart is the basis for almost all enlightenment and I guess it is not just about how long one can be without thought but rather the quality/energy level of the whole.

so

a)how long without any thought
b)how long without actively engaging in thoughts
c) do you as a general meditate by stilling the mind or by projecting/imagining some scenario (like the chair mentioned above)

Ghislain
01-22-2016, 03:59 AM
a)how long without any thought
b)how long without actively engaging in thoughts
c) do you as a general meditate by stilling the mind or by projecting/imagining some scenario (like the chair mentioned above)

This is just what I do...

a) Focus on a point, either real or imaginary, if thoughts come think of them as floating by. Never punish yourself for thinking :)
The more you meditate the better you will get.
b) How long is a piece of string? Sometimes you will enter a realm of no thought for a considerable time, not very often in my case,
and at other times your mind won't rest; not a problem.
c) Both.

Ghislain

zoas23
01-22-2016, 04:59 AM
I like what Ghislain said... my way is mostly identical. I would like to use his explanation and expand it as to explain my ways:

a) Focus on a point, either real or imaginary... pay no attention to anything else. An EXCELLENT alternative is to do this same thing in front of a mirror and the "point" can be your own eyes (in the mirror). It's VERY likely that after some minutes your mind will begin to distort the object (i.e, if you do it in front of a mirror, it's usual to start seeing a "cyclops" version of yourself with just one eye... and whilst it's impossible to deny that the image is interesting, funny or whatever... avoid these distortions... if they happen, just try to see again the object "as it is").

b) Use a breathing technique, the square breathing is easy... it will be "conscious" during the first times you do it, but it will become "unconscious" later. Square breathing:
-Inhale for 4 seconds.
-Keep the air for 4 seconds.
-Exhale for 4 seconds.
-Keep your lungs without air for 4 seconds...
-Keep on doing it.

-Do NOT use your mouth to breathe or exhale!!!! The nose, only the nose...

(You can later use hyperventilation techniques, but it's not a good idea to begin with them... same thing goes for using only one of the nostrils and then the other).

If thoughts come think of them as floating by. Never punish yourself for thinking. The more you meditate the better you will get.
A bizarre technique is to force a YAWN... for some reason the YAWN makes the thoughts go away... indeed, try it right now... Yawn, but when your mouth is fully open keep it like that, as if time has stopped in the middle of your yawn.

b) How long is a piece of string? Sometimes you will enter a realm of no thought for a considerable time. In my own case, it's VERY easy to do it, but I wouldn't say that it is worth doing it for more than 30 minutes (or even less)... and after NOT thinking, it is interesting to do the same, but without getting rid of the experience of thinking.

c) Try not to feel sleepy.

d) If you are able to do it, after having watched an object for a considerable time, close your eyes and pretend that you are "seeing through your eyelids"... i.e, keep on watching the same object, but with your eyes closed.

e) This can be controversial... but in my opinion an extremely long meditation is NOT a good idea. An hour is good enough for the whole thing. I know some Zen monks enjoy "meditation marathons" that can last a whole day or even more... but the main point of a meditation is to use it to do something else afterwards, not to "stay there" for a whole day.

f) If you enjoy hyperventilation... you can change the times of the square breathing for 1 second instead of 4... and then move to 1/2 second... you may start feeling the infamous "kundalini" energy and a strong heat in the base of your back that will begin to ascend... but if you begin to feel dizzy, stop it and go back to 4 seconds.

JinRaTensei
01-22-2016, 12:31 PM
thanks a bunch for the replys! got to take my time absorbing the information and personal views so here no more respond than a thank you for now :)

PS: I am reading the Vigyan Bhairav Tantra here in the archive with comments from osho right now and as the young fool I still am,I am absolutely inspired by the teachings and even more so oshos commentary.One mentioning of him at the begining I find to be quite interesting

he says (roughly) that tantra is for inner enlightenment and yoga for the outer enlightenment(healing/longevity etc) which bares the question for me which path to dive in to since I actually need to heal som chronic disease but still feel intuitively trhat I still should take the tantra path although it is not ment for healing th body but the soul....I guess it is a hint of the all that the answer for my health problems is to be found in my soul and not my body o0?!

Kiorionis
01-22-2016, 02:16 PM
Lately my alchemical 'meditations' have all been focused on strengthening my discipline. This involves being aware of my thoughts and actions throughout the day.

he says (roughly) that tantra is for inner enlightenment and yoga for the outer enlightenment(healing/longevity etc) which bares the question for me which path to dive in to since I actually need to heal som chronic disease but still feel intuitively trhat I still should take the tantra path although it is not ment for healing th body but the soul....I guess it is a hint of the all that the answer for my health problems is to be found in my soul and not my body o0?!

This sounds similar to the argument that the internal and external work are separate processes.

But who ever said the body and soul were separate entities (I like to think they come from the same root)? Heal the body to heal the soul. Heal the soul to heal the body. IMO, it all depends on whether you prefer to move from the bottom up, or the top down.