PDA

View Full Version : Paracelsus for reals?

Chenkel
05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm having a tough time reading/sorting out the Paracelsuses. Seems that many of the texts available on line (and in Waite's book... I'm trusting Waite less and less... unfortunate) are really the works of pseudo-Paracelsus'. That isn't to say that the pseudo-Paracelsus works are bad... it's just that as such a popular alchemical figure, I'd like to read what he actually wrote.

"There are several writings which were intentionally falsely attributed to Paracelsus, mostly written at the end of the 16th century. They treat transmutational alchemy and magic with titles like "Libellus de tinctura physicorum", "Thesaurus thesaurorum alchemistarum", "Coelum philsophorum", "Manuale de lapide philosophico", "Ratio extrahendi ex omnibus metallis mercurium", "Archidoxis magica", "Liber principiorum". Although these tracts are certainly spurious, in the reception they were considered to be authentic works and thus formed the erroneous picture of Paracelsus as a goldmaker and magician. "
http://www.paracelsus.uzh.ch/general/paracelsus_works.html

Does anyone have any insight?
Can anyone recommend links or sources for alchemical works that they know for sure are the work of the original Paracelsus?

Awani
05-12-2011, 07:41 PM
I have read a book in a library in France that was a collection of four essays by Paracelsus. This one was translated in English. I haven't looked on-line for it, but you can probably get it on amazon (or something like it).

Four Treatises of Theophrastus Von Hohenheim called Paracelsus (edited with preface by Henry E. Sigerist)

After reading the book I formed the view that Paracelsus was a anarchist and a punk i.e. he said and did whatever he wanted.

Although not his own writings see also Paracelsus and the substance of his teachings (http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/alchemy/Franz_Hartmann_-_Paracelsus_and_the_Substance_of_His_Teaching.pdf) by Franz Hartmann (PDF)

:cool:

Andro
05-12-2011, 08:17 PM
After reading the book I formed the view that Paracelsus was a anarchist and a punk i.e. he said and did whatever he wanted.

Agreed ! ! !

I personally admire his punk/'take no shit from anyone' attitude, no less than I admire his teachings and genius.

I present this link with nothing but respect, and in the spirit of tribute: I Do What I Want (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLVi4v7lSM)

Notice that in the short clip, the word 'kill' sounds like 'cure' :)

Stars like him are in a different league/playing field altogether.

Chenkel
05-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Four Treatises of Theophrastus Von Hohenheim called Paracelsus (edited with preface by Henry E. Sigerist)

Thanks! There's a preview of this on google books and I've started reading there what I can. I can see what you're saying about his punk-ness (punk-ness?... that's not a word, is it?) :p I'm guessing last of the four treaties' on the elementals might be the most relevant re: alchemy? This'll keep me busy for a while.... Thanks again!