PDA

View Full Version : Howdy To All! =)

Berylac
05-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Hi,

Hello everyone! Without a shadow of a doubt, this forum is indeed good at preventing spammers. =)

Anyway, I am Berylac, new to this Alchemical Field and I am really glad to meet you guys; Alchemists. Firstly, I found out the word "Alchemy" from the text of The Kybalion. The Kybalion is the first and only occult material I ever read. That's how I was introduced to Alchemy. I went ahead and looked at the Wikipedia to find my answers and it seems that Alchemy is a magick practice of turning any base metal to gold. Of course, Skepticism arrives and resulted in seeking more informations. If you asked me a question like:

"What is Alchemy means to you?"

My answer to you will not be satisfied to top surface of the brim in a cup. This is how I will answer. To me, Alchemy is an Esoteric study of deep ancient chemistry and astrology. And turning our mental faculty or self from our base metal form and transformed ourselves into gold. Which is very similar to what I found in The Kybalion for Alchemy: True Hermetic Transmutation is a Mental Art; Mental Transmutation. There, that's my answer.

I don't think my answer can be responded or accepted into the Alchemy's Community, maybe you guys could actually answer: "What does Alchemy mean?". Your answer could really help me a lot. Different answers give me new perceptions on how the the whole picture looks like. Today, I am 16 and I am currently studying in school. I'm from Singapore and the people over here apparently don't understand or even know what's Alchemy, hence, I need you guys' help to guide me along through this journey.

Sometimes, I have fantasized and thought about how Alchemy would look like. Ridiculously, I was thinking that since Alchemy is a study of Magick or Mystic Psychology, then all kinds of my ardent desires would be fulfilled easily through the practical use of Alchemy. Hah! That is always my unconscious perception, deep rooted under my subconscious mind ever since I studied the Law of Attraction that which said Desires can be manifested by thoughts. You guys might even want to ask me at this point, what kind of desires I have/want?

Well, since I was born, I was affected with Thalassemia Trail(a blood disorder passed down through families). Slowly, I started to experienced more and more incurable illness like Asthma and Heavy Sinus. Probably this is the most fortunate or unfortunate to some of you, but in my own way of consciousness, I believe that I must be healed. Coincidentally, Alchemy has a section and I believed that is called: Spagyrics(Herbalism). Another section is called: Mineral Alchemy. Really, through the use of Magickal healing and Herbalism, this indeed makes me think this way that Alchemy can cure, repair my whole DNA from Thalassemia and nullify all kinds of diseases and illness.

I don't know what you guys will be thinking of me joining the Alchemy. Probably Desires & Egoism. Yes, because of these desires of healing myself, attracting several kinds of abundance and advance spirituality, brought me and motivated me to Alchemy. Not only Alchemy, but all kinds of Esoteric Teachings. Do forgive me. Desires are my only motivations for me to work. =)

Literally, Alchemy looks cool! Before I was even introduced, I glanced the whole sections of Esoteric Topics that includes: Alchemy(Caught My Attention), Astrology, Chaos Magick, Ceremonial Magick, Egyptology, Enochian Magick, Entheogens, Runes Germanic Heathenry, Books of Grimoires, Out of Body Experiences & Psionics, Qabalah, Kabbalah, Rosicrucian, Shamanism, Thelema, Wicca, etc. I was like 'Whoa!? Whoa?!' are there really so many stuff and topics inside the Temple of Esotericism?

Starting from scratch, I started The Kybalion and the word: "Alchemy" caught my attention, twice! Therefore, I decided to start off with Alchemy as my first Esoteric Teaching. Some of you here, I believe are practitioners who want to study and apply Alchemy for the rest of your life. On the other group, I believe you guys also want to continue to study all kinds of Esoteric Teachings, not only Alchemy but trying out new stuff for your own benefits, am I right?

On the last note, I maybe young. I may have too much Egoism which far to speak. I can suddenly drop Alchemy away but there's one thing I know, no matter where I go inside the field of Esoteric, I believe they are all connected and deep parties agenda. Just like a Holograhics, affect one photon in the same field, it damages all the same kind. Alchemist, Hermetist, Magician, Qabbalist, Wiccan... Aren't we studying the forms of nature and spiritual? ;)

I think I have written a pretty long paragraphs. I can't tell whether if you really read them all or not. I have put some colors and bolder letters to ease your reading. So let me ask some questions so that I could get supports from you guys and help me to pursue my goals and alchemical growth.

Neophyte Questions:

1. Explain Alchemy to me; What's Alchemy to you?
2. I am very new to Alchemy and I have only read The Kybalion. What books would you guys recommend me to read and study?
3. I have many weird medical issues like Thalassemia, Asthma and Sinus. And their combination isn't that good for me to live any longer in the future. I seek long-term medical treatment from Alchemy. Is that possible?
4. What can I benefit from Alchemy?

Thanks! I appreciate all kinds of answers supplied from you guys! I might probably have more questions to ask, can't really remember any of them now except the 4 questions on top. Please do feel free to throw me a couple of informations and tips as well! I would gladly accept every word written by you. =)

Thanks,

Regards,
Berylac

Awani
05-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi, welcome!

Without a shadow of a doubt, this forum is indeed good at preventing spammers. =)

Yes we try our best.

In regards to your questions my answers are (and remember this is not fact, just my opinion):

Alchemy is in essence an artform, a sacred artform... the art of transformation... the crude into the pure etc.

2. I am very new to Alchemy and I have only read The Kybalion. What books would you guys recommend me to read and study?

Well look in our resource area, there are some links to pdf books there... it depends on what you are interested in... the more spritual sides or the more chemical/physical... both are equally valid and should always complete each other... as above so below! Start with The Emerald Tablet (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?17-Emerald-Tablet)!

3. I have many weird medical issues like Thalassemia, Asthma and Sinus. And their combination isn't that good for me to live any longer in the future. I seek long-term medical treatment from Alchemy. Is that possible?

Yes, but only if you use the power of you mind and your will! I personally do not believe in any miracle cure per se other than the power of the mind to alter your body... we can all cure ourselves. There are many members here who will say different, and probably even have recepies for healing potions...

You can improve yourself, grow spiritually... alchemy is a philosophy as much as it is a science (or some say pseudo-science)... its branches go deep and far and the alchemical path goes through all spiritual schools IMO.

In the end nothing will benefit you unless you make it so!

:cool:

Seth-Ra
05-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the Forum! :)

Dev gave some good answers (imo) to the questions posed. Mine arent to different.

For me, it is all encompassing. It is as Dev said, an art of transformation, purification etc... it is also the power/understanding/wisdom of change itself (change being transmutation/transformation) for Life is in a constant state of change, yet the same. (see ouroboros) :)
Alchemy is the Pattern of Truth - the Science and Art of Life itself.

I agree with Dev's answer, the recourses section has many many things to read. For medical stuffs, an herbal medicine book or two isnt bad either - especially those designed to be used in accordance with alchemy. I have a reference book called "An Alchemical Guide to Foods and Herbs" that i use a good deal, can be bought from a number of places.

Also agreeing with Dev, it requires your inner and outer participation to acquire, but yes, highly possible. There are plenty of "potions"/tinctures/elixirs that one can make for various ailments, from basic herbalism, to high spagyrics. The more you learn of Alchemy and Life, the more you'll grasp the finer signatures of the Life-materials you choose to receive help from - just believe and receive - as within so without, as Above so Below. :)

Everything. Nothing. The Wisdom and off All, made One. The insanity of the nothingness, made chaos. It all depends on what you want out of it, what you put into it, and where youre heading. Like a ship, you need a direction - even if a general one. Like all fine arts or schools, you'll only get out what you put in - equivalence. :)

Welcome again, and its good to see more youth seeking more than what their eyes currently perceive. I got interested in alchemy when i was 14 (currently i just turned 20) - youre never to young, nor to old, to learn as wisdom is not limited by one's age, if they are willing to be its vessel. Best of luck, and happy hunting.

Ora et Labora. (Pray and Work)

~Seth-Ra

Awani
05-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Yes Seth-Ra you mentioned a word I forgot: purification!

Transcendence and transformation, the Neanderthal becomes a God!

And yes age is pointless... because if indeed we are eternal reincarnated beings of sort (if we say it is so) then maybe someone who is 60 is 60 (first life), and someone who is 15 is actually 340 years old... (many lives)... age is not certain wisdom!

My god most old people in the world today are dogmatic and stuck up, and the young are open and curious = if I may be so general... exceptions always exist.

Berylac
05-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Hi,

Thank you so much for the informations guys! So briefly: Alchemy is simply an art or the study of Advancing Spirituality and the Wisdom, that's all. =)

Additional Questions:

1. Who is the Master/God of Alchemy? Is it Hermes Trismegistus or Thoth? Since Alchemy came from Egypt and Thoth is the God and Philosopher of Egypt, therefore, Alchemy must be founded by Thoth. However, some texts said that Hermes Trismegistus is the Philosopher of Alchemy however, he is from Greek. How is this so?

2. "Potions"/tinctures/elixirs? You mean I physically use wild plants/herbs to create my own formulae and potions? Isn't this risky?

3. I have a weird question. Hope you guys don't mind. Maybe this is really a dumb question that no one has ever asked. How could I apply the Wisdom or Alchemical Teachings to my Physical Reality other than Medication? I am sure Alchemy doesn't only teach Medication/Healing and Wisdom, I am sure Alchemy has more than that, am I right? Or else the Egyptians wouldn't have practice since long.

4. Since there are more studies for Alchemy, I was thinking 'bout Fibonacci Sequence or Golden Ratio would be correspondence to Alchemy?

4. Regarding the Hermetic Laws, I got a little confuse between Law of Polarity & Law of Correspondence(As Above, So Below). Law of Polarity is all about degrees; Hot and Cold, they are the same they are just different in degrees and views. Doesn't this the same as As Above, So Below? As Hot, So Cold; As Hot same as the So Cold in nature. It's the same, it just different in degrees right? =D

Thanks for the wonderful recommendations! I got these books from Torrent and I find it hard to digest:

Philosophers of Nature
1. Alchemy, Spagyrics Vol.1/2 By Jean Dubuis
2. Mineral Alchemy, Vol 1/2/3/4 By Jean Dubuis

I will stick to you guys' recommendations. Emerald Tablet & An Alchemical Guide to Foods & Herbs. Thanks Dev and Seth-Ra!

Thanks,

Regards,
Berylac

Seth-Ra
05-31-2011, 02:43 AM
1. Who is the Master/God of Alchemy? Is it Hermes Trismegistus or Thoth?

Thoth is the Egyptian name for the being known as Hermes. Hermes is the Greek name for the being known as Thoth. ;) They are the same.
As for "who is the God of alchemy" - i can imagine you'll get as many different answers as people. Some say they are gods - its their higher self which they seek to attain - that All is god as One. Others may be more atheistic and say there isnt a "god", that there is the laws of the universe. Me personally - im a christian, so Yahweh/Yahoshua/Jesus is my God - and i see Alchemy as the Order He created, Hermes/Thoth being a sort of messenger or archetype for the "drawing" one feels/hears to the mysteries behind the veil. But "God-talk" will most always be a personal thing for the individual, and all views are accepted here, so long as no one is disrespectful or preachy - so follow your spirit and ask yourself "Who is my God?" ;)

2. "Potions"/tinctures/elixirs? You mean I physically use wild plants/herbs to create my own formulae and potions? Isn't this risky?

Yes, medicines are physically made - but physical medicines combined with non-physical ones are what makes alchemy, alchemy instead of chemistry. ;) Yes it can be risky - research is key, understand what youre working with before ingestion.

3."How could I apply the Wisdom or Alchemical Teachings to my Physical Reality other than Medication?"

Simple - view your world differently, and it'll view you differently. Things can subtly start changing, getting better etc... Plenty of people here are also interested in other things than medication - such as alternative energy, general information, practical life-enhancing applications, etc... Again, id recommend getting an idea of what you want, and head for it. At some point, one thing leads to another, so it will all kinda merge over time.

Yes, the Golden Ratio and such has its place in Alchemy - sacred geometry and the like. ;)

As for correspondence and polarity... they are tied together. Its all equivalence - happenings that go Above, correspond to happenings going on Below. Things of Negative frequency have an equal counterpart of the Positive frequency scale. All is interchangeable/transmutable, and all has cause and effect. Opposite Polarities attract like magnets to balance, forces Above influence forces Below, and vice-a-versa. All is balance and equivalence.

Happy to be of assistance. :)

~Seth-Ra

Awani
05-31-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm from Singapore and the people over here apparently don't understand or even know what's Alchemy...

Was there recently and they have a Masonic temple... I am sure some folks in there knows about it (or at least they should).

I was thinking 'bout Fibonacci Sequence or Golden Ratio would be correspondence to Alchemy?

All things spritiual, occult and esoteric and even scientific has a correspondence with alchemy IMO.

In regards to Hermes have a look at this thread: Apollonius of Tyana (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?38-Apollonius-of-Tyana)

I think the best application of alchemy to reality is calcination = which is all about dealing with EGO which is the cause of all crime and war and pain (IMO).

Check out this thread: Spiritual Calcination (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?49-Spiritual-Calcination)

Also have a look around, a lot is already discussed what you ask about... here you can see what subjects can be found in what area: What is where? (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?385-What-is-where)

I always thought this is a good general text on alchemy for beginners: Alchemy Rediscovered and Restored (http://www.sacred-texts.com/alc/arr/index.htm) by Archibald Cockren

Awani
05-31-2011, 06:58 AM
All is balance and equivalence.

Nicely put!

Berylac
05-31-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi,

Thanks so much. I don't really know whose my God for Alchemy based, really. I am a Buddhist(Don't really care much) and simply Buddha can't be representative for Alchemy since it's the teacher from the Tibetan. Shall I try Tetragrammaton?

Oh?! Sacred Geometry is part of Alchemy? I thought it was some sort of Magick for Radionics or Psionics.

Dev, yeah. We do have Masonic Temple, but they don't allow to the public. They have the a compass, a square and the letter 'G' flags outside the face of the temple. It seems like that's a border line for us and apparently it looks very tight and my intuition told me: No ENTRY.

Spiritual Calcination. It seems that it's eliminating one's Egoism. I know Egoism is bad, but Egoism is part of progress. Without Egoism, we can't have desires and we can't grow. =(

Thanks for the recommendations again. Just one more query, does Alchemy uses equipment like Wands(Ebony) and Candles? I bought it for some Candle Magick but I don't know if these are also the practical uses for Alchemy. Thanks! =)

Edit:

I have just read the Emerald Tablet translated from Issac Newton. I understand that the script has to do with As Above, So Below. However, I believe that there's a further study and I would have to learn to decode from it right?

Regards,
Berylac

theFool
05-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Welcome,
as you might suspect, most of us in the forum, are not accomplished alchemists; so you only get our subjective answers on your questions.

1. Alchemy is an art that accelerates evolution.
2. "Real Alchemy", by Robert Bartlett. It has many incomplete and mistaken parts but it will get you moving. It says there how to make herbal medicines. Be aware that you don't need to ingest the alcoholic extract of the plant but a sweet oil that will float on top of it.
3. Everything is possible.
4. If by "benefit" you mean what will you gain, well .. be prepared, at the beginning, you will only lose.

I don't know what you guys will be thinking of me joining the Alchemy. Probably Desires & Egoism. Yes, because of these desires of healing myself, attracting several kinds of abundance and advance spirituality, brought me and motivated me to Alchemy. Not only Alchemy, but all kinds of Esoteric Teachings. Do forgive me. Desires are my only motivations for me to work. =)
The ego will be calcined when times come. You need ego to survive. Bigger ego, bigger harvest.

About the usage of medicines (external alchemy) and spiritual practice (internal alchemy):
You walk quicker when using both of your legs, the one helps the other. Medicines will strengthen body stamina, mental clarity and intuition. Those in turn, will help to work more, avoid mistakes and find shortcuts, thus continually perfecting the medicines.
When you are hungry you have to eat food. Thinking of being stomach-full is not enough.
Well, ok, maybe some people can live only on air and meditation, but they are in another level of evolution (you have a lot of them there in asia?). They ate food too before reaching there.
Don't underestimate the need of using external medicines. People tend to over-emphasize spiritual alchemy because they confuse their habit of fantasizing and dilly-dallying around with spiritual practice. You have to work in the outer Lab and in the inner Lab too.

Good Luck to all.

Awani
05-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Dev, yeah. We do have Masonic Temple, but they don't allow to the public.

I just walked in and talked to them, they were friendly.

Karl
06-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Hi,

Thanks so much. I don't really know whose my God for Alchemy based, really. I am a Buddhist(Don't really care much) and simply Buddha can't be representative for Alchemy since it's the teacher from the Tibetan. Shall I try Tetragrammaton?

Oh?! Sacred Geometry is part of Alchemy? I thought it was some sort of Magick for Radionics or Psionics.

Dev, yeah. We do have Masonic Temple, but they don't allow to the public. They have the a compass, a square and the letter 'G' flags outside the face of the temple. It seems like that's a border line for us and apparently it looks very tight and my intuition told me: No ENTRY.

Thanks for the recommendations again. Just one more query, does Alchemy uses equipment like Wands(Ebony) and Candles? I bought it for some Candle Magick but I don't know if these are also the practical uses for Alchemy. Thanks! =)

Hi Berylac,

This is a great thread. I'm really appreciating the input from the longer term members. Berylac, I'm also a Buddhist of the Tibetan variety. I find it to be a rich alchemical tradition. Look up the life of Nagarjuna. Transforming base egoic material and awakening bodhicitta is perfect alchemy. Rasayana/Ayurvedic medicine heavily influences western alchemy. Tibetan medicine is an amazing alchemical study. The preparation of a jewel pill is a pristine spagyric act. Yantra is sacred geometry. Point being you don't really need to adopt a western philosophical framework to be an alchemist. It many ways the western approach tries to synthesize the Buddhist and created it's own set of symbols to work with the same ideas. Alchemy was and is international. It is not a product of the west.

That being said it might be exciting and exotic for you to begin to explore the Hermetic/Gnostic tradition and I have found a lot of meaning in it. I'm a Freemason (most don't know anything about alchemy). What is of value there is it's link to historical Mystery cults and Magick. Rosicrucians are more intimately involved with alchemy (as the story goes Frater C.R. travels to the east and brings back what he learned and creates a small group of alchemical Bodhisattvas who work secretly for the benefit of society). The Qabalah is a great tradition to study to learn how and why western alchemists did what they did. The Tarot as an aspect of that is also a valuable study. All of these modalities point to deliberate evolution- whether one is ascending the tree of life to achieve union with Kether or clearing one's karma/chakra centers and awakening to Buddhahood (compare the descriptions of Ein Soph to the Dharmakaya).

Wands and Enochian Magick are a form of Tantra. In some ways the wand is an extension of the central channel. Vajrayana Buddhism is a magickal practice. Theosophy may help bridge the philosophical gap. I can go on and on about this cross comparison as I am firmly between the worlds of the Western esoteric tradition and the Eastern Buddhist so I will stop before I write a note so long no one will read it.

I'm jealous of your growing climate. Get out and start working with the plant life. YHVH told me to tell you that : )

Welcome to the Alchemy Forums.

K.

Berylac
06-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Hi,

@Dev. Wow, really? Did you the chance to ask them any spiritual questions? I bet these questions could be answered by only 3rd Degree Masons; Master Masons. The Entered Apprentice was only taught how to deal beautifully in Physical Realm, Fellowcraft only for Mental Realm but 'Master Mason' rank is where the fun begins. =) And I don't dare to ask them. I have been watching the videos lately about Freemasonry, The Brotherhood and the New World Order; Illuminati.

Thank you theFool and Karl,

There's a reason deep inside me, why I chose Hermetic, Western Tradition rather than Eastern Tradition even though I am living in the East side of the world and Buddhism/Taoism. I can't find the answers. When I tried to study the Scriptures here, I have hard time going through and always, I feel that there's a kind of resistance applying on me. I can't really explain why, maybe it's part of my inner bias system.

Here is a little side story from me, not related to what is above and below:
When it comes to Hermetic or Western Tradition, let say: The Kybalion. When I started to read it at first, I felt like I am an old soul. I have a great and strong feeling that I have encountered this kind of teachings before but I can't remember where I have read it! Every time or circumstance, when I studied a Hermetic Law, I could actually understand it very quickly and my mind always project the system of Hermetic Laws easily. For another example, Emerald Tablet. Even before I have first seen the pictures in the Google, I have already illustrated what kind of picture the Emerald Tablet looks like.

I don't know what are all these, coincident or intuitive. Coincident is out of the picture, Law of Cause & Effect cannot serve Coincident. I started all these since I was maybe late 14? It isn't Esoteric Teachings at first, it was Law of Attraction. Slowly as the time goes by, I stopped my video games, I stopped going out with my best friends. Everyday, staying at home research and study these literature. I lost my youth.

Thanks. Oh! Not to forget! I have a question! I have read the Emerald Tablet. It's a short literature script. I want to find out more about it, I want to explanations and elaborations. Is this the Link: http://www.levity.com/alchemy/rawn_cla.html (http://www.levity.com/alchemy/rawn_cla.html)for the explanations and studies for Emerald Tablet?

Thank you guys! :cool:

Regards,
Berylac

solomon levi
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Greetings Berylac!
Welcome to Alchemy Forums.

Alchemy is a science that can be applied to many areas of life. There are many ways to define it.
One could say the art of raising vibrations. A definition should include the observation of Nature.
Alchemy in egyptian means "the black". Hermes/Thoth is seen as the Father of Alchemy, but there
are many gods related to "the black" - black gods like Saturn/Kronos, Osiris, Kali, the black Madonna/Isis, etc.

As you learn to see the Hermetic principles in your life and in Nature, Alchemy will be seen to apply to everything.
One can see solve-coagula everywhere. One can see how circulation evolves that which is circulated, be it your
internal chi, a flask of alcohol, or something you contemplate over and over in your mind. Behind Alchemy is
also connectedness, oneness - one energy appearing as many things according to frequency. These same principles
can be applied in a laboratory to make medicines or evolve metals, as well as they can be applied to mind and meditation.

Don't worry about having selfish interests in Alchemy. This will evolve with time and wisdom as your understanding
of Alchemy grows. The individual is also the whole. Whatever level you work on will branch into the All-One, holographically
as you said. So follow your passion and what interests you. I'm sure the picture will get bigger and bigger for you.

solomon

Awani
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Did you the chance to ask them any spiritual questions?

I was kind of backpacking through Malaysia and Borneo and stopped over in Singapore for 2 days... so I just popped in... talked a little and that was it. No deep spiritual discussion I am afraid. But they seemed friendly and like that was interested in their lodge. I don't think they get many tourists stumbling in. He he.

As for Illuminati and such things on the internet I think this link will help you more than any other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDnEWHkjBc

Berylac
06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Hi,

That was a short audio clip. Thanks, Dev.

Thanks solomon levi, but why Alchemy stands for "The Black"? Is it because if there's Black, there will be White since so that by contrasting black, white can be existed?

Thanks,

Regards,
Berylac

solomon levi
06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi,

That was a short audio clip. Thanks, Dev.

Thanks solomon levi, but why Alchemy stands for "The Black"? Is it because if there's Black, there will be White since so that by contrasting black, white can be existed?

Thanks,

Regards,
Berylac

Hi Berylac.

Al = the
Khem = black

Egypt itself was called "Khem", "the black land".
Some say it had to do with the flooding of the Nile river and the rich black soil that resulted.

Khem can also refer to "the black arts" - alchemy, theurgy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemistry_(etymology)

In the ancient Egyptian ways, the black was actually contrasted to the red, not the white.
They considered the desert the red land in contrast to the black soil of the Nile valley.

In Alchemy there are stages of work represented by colors:
the first stage is nigredo/black
the second is albedo/white
the third is citrinitas/yellow (or viriditas/green - some place viriditas after negredo)
the fourth and final is rubedo/red

horticult
06-02-2011, 11:54 PM
golden ass

Berylac
06-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Hi Berylac.

Al = the
Khem = black

Egypt itself was called "Khem", "the black land".
Some say it had to do with the flooding of the Nile river and the rich black soil that resulted.

Khem can also refer to "the black arts" - alchemy, theurgy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemistry_(etymology)

In the ancient Egyptian ways, the black was actually contrasted to the red, not the white.
They considered the desert the red land in contrast to the black soil of the Nile valley.

In Alchemy there are stages of work represented by colors:
the first stage is nigredo/black
the second is albedo/white
the third is citrinitas/yellow (or viriditas/green - some place viriditas after negredo)
the fourth and final is rubedo/red

Hi,

I see. Alchemy comes from a land that's covered with soil and it's black. =)

Thanks, I will update you guys with my progress later on. Have too many things to read. I am still stumbling myself just over an Emerald Tablet. Still trying to grasp the whole concept. Is it true that Emerald Tablet is some sort of a "summary" of the whole content Alchemy?

Thanks!

Regards,
Berylac

Salazius
06-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Welcome.

Berylac
06-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi,

Hey guys! This is what one of my friends has found: http://www.freewebs.com/3oct10/whatisalchemy.htm

Alchemy in FullMetal Alchemist is a branch of science which can create, destroy and recreate anything. Alchemists can synthesize anything they want- metal (except gold because it is forbidden), wood, doors, weapons, basically anything they want to create. They can even repair broken or damaged things. But there is a rule in Alchemy: Anything you created must be replaced by anything of equal value. That is the Law of Conservation in Alchemy.

What does it mean? It means that when I created something, I must destroy another thing that has the same value as what I have created in order to balance the equalization and for the sake of Law: Conversation?

Secondly, what does it mean by drawing the symbol to by pass the Law of Conversation so that we can create, destroy anything freely without sacrificing anything but gaining?

Thanks for all the answers!

Regards,
Berylac

Seth-Ra
06-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I recommend watchig the show, I've enjoyed it myself, FMA 2: Brotherhood was the best. (IMO)
As for the equivalence law, it's basically stating you need like matter to create the desired object. So let's say you wanna create a door, or desk. You need wood, equal volume per size of door/desk, and equal density. I.e. You take the matter you start with, break it down, and recreate it as somethig else. You can't make the new thing lighter, bigger etc than the starting material allows. It's an equation, and you must balance it. Chemical equations are similar, I'm just giving you the basic idea of the principle. :)

As for "by-passing" the law, on the show they can only do that with a Philosopher's Stone, but when one stops to contemplate what it's made of, you see it uses a sort of equivalence also, so there really is no getting around it. They draw circles to "steer the flow of energy" and the emblems and symbols and words inside the circles are the alchemical formulas the energy runs through, causing the transmutation.
Tis good stuff. :)

~Seth-Ra

Aleilius
06-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi, and welcome! Sorry for the late welcome.

Berylac
06-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Hi,

Thank you Aleilius.

=O I just realized that was "Full Metal Alchemists", it is just only an Anime Show/Manga and TV Shows.

Regards,
Berylac

Seth-Ra
06-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Id advise against snubbing fiction, as some of the best alchemical ideas, keys, and principles can be, and are, portrayed in fantasy/fiction, from FMA, to Alice in Wonderland and many many others. Just a suggestion.

~Seth-Ra

Aleilius
06-04-2011, 03:49 AM
Id advise against snubbing fiction...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/snak251/fuuuuuuu.png

Berylac
06-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi,

Yes. I was very angry and frustrated when I found out that that particular article is an Anime, a fiction story for Alchemy and entertainment. I didn't realize it was only a story of a show or manga. This is the worst case of Alchemical Studies and research for me. I bet no other Alchemists would be as dumb as me, seriously. =/

Regards,
Berylac

Ghislain
06-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi Berylac

There is no dumb or clever...

IMO Seth, in post 25, said it all.

Signs turn up in the strangest of places.

Althoughsome people might just miss the obvious e.g.

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are camping in the desert, set up their tent, and are asleep.
Some hours later, The Lone Ranger wakes his faithful friend.
"Tonto, look up and tell me what you see."
Tonto replies, "Me see millions of stars."
"What does that tell you?" asks The Lone Ranger.
Tonto ponders for a minute.
"Astronomically speaking, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets.
Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo.
Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three.
Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all powerful and we are small and insignificant.
Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.
What it tell you, Kemo Sabi?"
The Lone Ranger is silent for a moment, then speaks.
"Tonto, you Dumb Hoss, someone has stolen our tent."

Ghislain

Awani
06-04-2011, 11:16 AM
The works of Philip K. Dick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick) is one example of fiction being more helpful than fact IMO!

Albion
06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Since there is a "LOST" (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2065-Lost&highlight=LOST) thread on the forum it seemed appropriate to mention this [I'm quoting someone else but not providing the link because the full text may spoil the plot development for anyone just beginning the series]:

“VALIS by Philip K. Dick. This is perhaps the most 'in your face' appearance of a book on LOST to date. In one episode, Locke serves to it Ben with his breakfast. Ben smirks and says 'he's already read it'. Locke responds that he should 'read it again -- there might be something you missed'.

In the very next episode, Ben is shown reading the book, deeply engrossed..."

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTT6NigZh_HnOArNPlxo12i3jzE-qW-mfoLKeDzkjnBc5UZHWx_5g