PDA

View Full Version : hempel column vs kjeldahl sphere

Donna Matrix
06-14-2011, 05:15 AM
I have been trying to distill the perfect vegetable menstruum according to pons. can some please elaborate on the differences between the functions of a kjeldahl and a hempel column w raschig rings? thx

Karl
06-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Usually the kjeldahl is to help guard against a sudden superheated boil over into the receiver. The hempel column with raschig rings acts much like a vigreux column in that it strips the water from the distillation vapour increasing the column reflux resulting in purer alcohol coming over. A larger kjedahl ball can act like an alembic head allowing the vapours to expand before going over- it will also increase reflux.

I wish you luck with the mestruum Donna Matrix! I'm currently distilling pine resin for my first attempt at the menstruum. Take pictures and let everyone know how it goes-let's compare notes.

Donna Matrix
07-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Thanks Karl- I just plug away at it either studying, praying and experimenting. So far i have only made tinctures, but I am impressed at how well they help my ailments. Now i start with elixers.