PDA

View Full Version : a poem by Paul Valery

solomon levi
06-22-2011, 05:26 PM
This poem reminds me of the alchemical magnet and steel:

"The color of a thing is that one which, out of all the colors, it repels and cannot assimilate. High heaven refuses blue, returning azure to the retina. All summer long the leaves hold in the red. Charcoal gobbles all.

To our senses things offer only their rejections. We know them by their refuse. Perfume is what the flowers throw away.

Perhaps we only know other people by what they eliminate, by what their substance will not accept. If you are good, it is because you retain your evil. If you blaze, hurling off sparkles and lightnings, your sorrow, gloom and stupidity keep house within you. They are more you, more yours, than your brilliance. Your genius is everything you are not. Your best deeds are foreign to you."

- Paul Valéry

Andro
06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
This poem reminds me of the alchemical magnet and steel

Brilliant connection!

To which I add:

We do, say, express, play and project, only because we need to empty ourselves, because we are longing for that seemingly inaccessible Primal Void inside ourselves...

Our key to freedom?

I would also say that the quality we are seeking for in Our Steel is not in what it attracts, but in what it repels.

Which, in the case of Our Steel, should be pretty much close to everything, everything but the 'Nil' :)

And when the 'Nil' is achieved and all superfluities are gone, we may have in readiness Our Magnet, to catch and fix it.

Fix the Void and its pure, uncorrupted 'emanations', to make them 'permanent' (as in 'Aqua Permanens').

We do this because we deeply desire to give the immaterial and unsubstantial Void a 'body'.

We do this so that our Emptiness (Source of our Infinite Potential) is available to us once more, here and now...

I remember (with a dose of silly nostalgia) the description David Hudson received for his material(s): 'Pure Nothing' :)

Gimme that ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

solomon levi
06-22-2011, 06:37 PM
"I would also say that the quality we are seeking for in Our Steel is not in what it attracts, but in what it repels.
Which, in the case of Our Steel, should be pretty much close to everything, everything but the 'Nil'"

Very nice!

Nibiru
06-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Cool poem, I like the way it's able to make the comparison between the properties of matter and the individual personality based on frequency absorption and reflections. It makes me think of the ego. I'm going to have to look into more of his poetry, thanks..