PDA

View Full Version : Which herbs to choose

ScalerWave
06-30-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm putting my list of 7 herbs together. Just wondering what others here have experimented with and which herbs are recommended.

Here's my current list of candidates:

Sage
Basil
Yerba Mate
CatNip
LemonGrass
NettleLeaf
Peppermint
Rosemary
Ginko

Karl
06-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm putting my list of 7 herbs together. Just wondering what others here have experimented with and which herbs are recommended.

Here's my current list of candidates:

Sage
Basil
Yerba Mate
CatNip
LemonGrass
NettleLeaf
Peppermint
Rosemary
Ginko

Hi ScalarWave,

My first seven had some overlap:

Willow Bark (Moon- calcining was great as it smells like incense)
Basil (Mars- used Sweet Basil- the aroma is sickening when concentrated)
Ginko (Mercury- I look forward to Wednesday- really supports heady discourse)
Sage (Jupiter- love it- made tincture and magistry)
Rose Hips (Venus- don't grind these- it has little hairs that feel like fiberglass and they get everywhere)
Fenugreek (Saturn- smells like maple syrup- very pleasant to work with)
St. John's Wort (Sun- a few drops makes me tangibly happier)

I've also worked with:

Nettles -steam distillation yielded no essential oil but it smells healthier than spinach - I make cordage for hanging drying plants out of the stalk. Tea is excellent. Jewel weed really does work for getting rid of the sting if one applies it right away. The sting itself has favourable reviews in direct application on arthritis (talked with someone who claims total long term removable of pain by the application)

Lemon Grass- I didn't use enough and got no essential oil but the hydrosol was fantastic- great smell and tastes good.

I have a pound of Yerba Mate ready to work with as well.

My experience is generally that the preparations are much better if the plant is organic and ideally harvested directly. The drying process has it's own lessons but the concentrated end product is worth it. Using off the shelf herbs is often disappointing.

K.

ScalerWave
06-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the input Karl. It helped a lot.

What effects did you experience with Sage?

I'm wondering what exactly is different about the organically grown herbs that makes them superior? Maybe better quality fertilizer?

I plan on putting an herb garden together too... Always been into gardening.

Karl
07-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the input Karl. It helped a lot.

What effects did you experience with Sage?

I'm wondering what exactly is different about the organically grown herbs that makes them superior? Maybe better quality fertilizer?

I plan on putting an herb garden together too... Always been into gardening.

You're welcome ScalerWave. The sage magistry is just really pleasant. It tastes fantastic - kind of a full, earthy menthol. I always feel enriched by it. Breath freshening as well.

I really don't know why they are better or what causes the sickly odor of the non-organic. I'm really curious though.

I have a tiny garden in my studio- lemon balm, echinacea and tulsi basil. I wild harvest a lot of herbs - relating with plant identification, seeing the condition and health of the plant, drying, and examining under a microscope really deepens my relationship with the plant. I'm collecting fresh St. John's Wort (it is just flowering here) and Motherwort for the drying rack tomorrow. I'm really excited about the Motherwort- it is supposed to have similar qualities to Valerian but stronger- and it doesn't smell like a goat's ass. Not sure if you have ever smelled Valerian root but it is not really pleasurable.

ScalerWave
07-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Heh heh yeah, Valerian smells a bit musky to say the least.

Ok, I'll definitely go for the organic versions.

I saw an interesting video on blood root. What an amazing plant.

I'm glad I found out about Spagyrics and Alchemy now but I wish I would have found out about it a long long time ago.

Karl
07-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Can you post a link to the bloodroot video? I was going to collect it for use as a dye because I'm not confident I can prepare it medicinally to eliminate the toxic potential.

I also wish I had found alchemy a long time ago. I often have the thought that I wasted a decade of my life regularly drinking to excess and trying to have sex. I get subtle panic attacks now about how relatively little time there is left in this life to explore nature and develop spiritually with alchemy. I have a sense that reincarnation is how things work but it seems a tragic comedy that we spend most of our lives screwed up in a state of confusion, forgetting almost everything we might have realized the life before, and when we finally begin to clarify things and come to awakening we die and have to start again. Bad joke really.

ScalerWave
07-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Sure no problem...

How to make Blood Root salve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyHWxXGdxXU

Example of using Blood Root Salve to remove moles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P5Kn2ijJ00&feature=related

I've been looking for videos specifically on Spagyrics but no real luck.

Karl
07-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Sure no problem...

How to make Blood Root salve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyHWxXGdxXU

Example of using Blood Root Salve to remove moles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P5Kn2ijJ00&feature=related

I've been looking for videos specifically on Spagyrics but no real luck.

Wow- thank you- still a little terrifying. The mental picture she paints of someones nose being eaten off is an effective warning. Also learned that Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant and stops the carrier oil from going off. This is of interest as I've been trying to prepare Horse Chestnut blossom as an internal medicine. Steam extraction yielded no essential oil so I've been thinking about an oil extraction. Entfleurage is effective in working with delicate flowers to get the scent so I figure doing an oil extraction is worth exploring. I was concerned with the oil longevity so the vitamin E tip is great. Combining some rectified spirit after a couple of days of just the oil and herb soaking in the incubator is something I've been thinking of as well- the alcohol might aid the medicinal extraction, thin the oil and be antibacterial.

The brilliance of spagyric preparation is in the incorporation of the mineral salts. This is perhaps for another thread but I don't think the salts need be incorporated all the time. Paracelsus himself didn't combine the salts in every elixir. This has become sort of a dogma in Spagyrics that might be best kept as a question. Just something I've been thinking about.

ScalerWave
07-04-2011, 02:40 AM
I had planned on buying a pound of each herb but am not sure if that would be too much. How much of each herb did you start work with?

Karl
07-04-2011, 10:17 AM
I use a dry pound of leafy plant for steam distillation-it fills my 2 liter bioflask and yields a few ml of oil from most species. If I am just tincturing I use less- 150 grams to yield 250 ml of tincture. Everyone finds their own way though. Sometimes I filter the spirit from the first batch and do another round with more plant.

ScalerWave
07-30-2011, 02:27 AM
I bought a pound of Pennyroyal and made the tincture....about 30 days to go....I was thinking of making some tea with it until I read more about it.

A bit alarming.

Health warnings with pennyroyal tea

Pennyroyal Tea may cause nausea in drinkers. It is recommended that drinkers should be careful when standing or sitting, as this may cause dizziness.

When making pennyroyal tea, only the pennyroyal herb should be used. The essential oil of pennyroyal should NOT be used, as it is a poison. Death from untreatable organ failure can result if the essential oil is used.

Drinking pennyroyal tea can be taxing on the body after any length of time as it encourages the body to purge. Users should take care of their bodies afterwards by drinking nourishing teas and eating a balanced diet.

Pennyroyal tea should not be consumed by those with kidney disease or a past history of kidney stones. Pennyroyal tea should not be drunk for longer than a week, as it may cause damage to the central nervous system, kidney and liver.