PDA

View Full Version : Yin - Yang

Ghislain
07-22-2011, 05:27 AM
How does one intuitively know which of two poles is Yin and which is Yang?

For Example there are opposites such as:

Left/Right
Hot/Cold
Light/Dark
Love/Hate
Yes/No

Right/Left
Cold/Hot
Dark/Light
Hate/Love
No/Yes

One can find lists of some of these expressing This is Yin and That is Yang, but what are the rules that make it so?

Does anyone have an answer?

Ghislain

solomon levi
07-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Well, also think male/female, +/-, sun/moon, fire/water.
Yang is male, yin is female. That's the easiest way to conjecture the rest IMO.
Scientifically, we look at electricity (yang) and magnetism (yin).

Intuitively? Not an easy question. Sometimes dreams show us things manifesting as men or women,
if you can realize what the thing is instead of thinking it IS a man or a woman.

Aleilius
07-23-2011, 01:41 AM
I think it's a trick of the mind. How do you interpret something singular with a polar interpretation system (the brain is dual)? The single image always takes on a dual appearance/interpretation after that.

Funny enough, your brain plays another trick: your right is actually your left, and your left is your right. Let's not forget, and mark well this: it's also upside down.

Don't forget what Aiwass communicated to Crowley: "Paste the sheets from right to left and from top to bottom: then behold!" Do thou this!

The kingdom is the crown,
look up to look down;
behold the heaven turned round,
kingdom as ground!

Birds slither, and snakes fly.

aase
07-24-2011, 11:58 PM
What Solomon Levi & Aleilius said. And also:

Yang acts; yin responds.
Yang penetrates; yin yields and envelops.
Yang moves and exerts; yin envelops and absorbs.

They both take possession of each other. Ebb and flow, give and take.

In terms of hot/cold: Yang is traditionally associated with heat. Because heat actively changes things through the expenditure of energy.
In terms of left/right - your dominant hand is yang. Which for most people is the right. Lateralists try to force everyone to be right handed. Which makes sense only in cultures where your secondary hand is your toilet paper.

Hate can be yin or yang, depending on the shape your hate takes. Same with love.

Ghislain
07-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Hate can be yin or yang, depending on the shape your hate takes. Same with love.

IMHO this is the material for a whole other thread.

Thread: Love

Ghislain

Frater IA
07-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Ghislain, yin and yang can be seen many ways, the most prevalent being good and evil as well as hot and cold. How does one know what good is? Only those who have witnessed the worst of all evil can even begin to comprehend the greatest of all good, and this is done through comparison. As well, when looking at the symbol of yin and yang, you can see that there is a seed of evil in good and a seed of good in evil. AS WELL, to bring this to an even more philosophical and esoteric lesson, how does one know what hot is? By knowing cold by comparison right? However, cold is an illusion, cold is quite literally the lack of thermal energy or heat. Therefore cold does not exsist. Now if you have heat on one side and lack of heat on the other (energy on one side and none on the other) the energy will follow the path of least resistance in order to balance itself, thus the yin yang becomes mobile. Once it starts spinning you look at the symbol and no longer have black and white, but various shades of grey.

While there are many interpretations of yin yang, and I'm sure you probably weren't asking for them, this has been shown to me through my meditations many times, so I figured I'd share.