PDA

View Full Version : Distilled vs Deionised water

Ghislain
08-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Could someone tell me if it is ok to use deionised water in place of distilled, or not?

Thanks

Ghislain

rogerc
08-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Could someone tell me if it is ok to use deionised water in place of distilled, or not?

Thanks

Ghislain

Its depends, deionized water is the perfect solvent if you want something pure to dissolve a chemical into, for instance I run SCR's for diesel applications and the EPA requires we use DI water to make urea in. DI water is hungrier than distilled water because it is chemically imbalanced, that is it, not only is all the mineralization stripped but it is also devoid of ions, so it immediately tries to steal those ions from whatever it comes into contact with, especially if it is a mineral. So dissolving becomes quick and complete at the molecular level, and the water is more likely to hold more mineral and resist precipitation, which is important for some applications. But distilled water will also be hungrier than tap water or mineral water, but typically not all the mineralization will be removed through distillation unless it is done several times, I would like to note it is not really safe to drink either but especially you should not drink pure DI water, it will destroy tissue at a cellular level.

Donna Matrix
08-13-2011, 10:38 PM
I use RO water, but it is dead. I put it in the sun, or in the moon and that helps.