PDA

View Full Version : My first Explosion!

Donna Matrix
08-13-2011, 10:21 PM
OK I thought this was gonna be way more sexy,, but I was distilling in a water bath and the damn bowl exploded! I had bought this set of pyrex dishes for the specific purpose of distillation, not cake baking or anything else. Today (8-13-11) is a great day to start work on my saturn elixer since its saturday and a full moon. Im all set up, the flask is fogging up, and BAM.

Stupid pyrex bowl!:mad:

I want to be able to see whats going on in my flask and stainless steel wont let me see. Any suggestions??

BTW is anyone going to the alchemy conference in September??

Ghislain
08-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Hi DM

Sorry to hear of your mishap.

I have never got around to setting up a decent lab...

I therefore make do with things about the house ... not ideal, but it works somewhat.

Here (http://genius.toucansurf.com/GW/New%20work/Movie.wmv) is my distillation setup.

I place a bottle in a pan of oil...the oil spreads the heat...then a tube from that bottle to another in a bowl of cold water.
Seems to work and costs 0.0 :). only problem is you do have to keep an eye on it, and baste the bottle with the cold
water or it gets hot and you start losing the distillate.

Hope thats of use.

Ghislain

P.S. I can see whats going on in the bottle.

MarkostheGnostic
08-14-2011, 03:19 PM
WOW! That's unfortunate, but it could have been a hot OIL bath!!! Wear closed shoes when doing lab work. As a chemistry hobbyist when I was a kid, I had my share of intentional and unintentional explosions. Now, I always use eye-glass style, lightweight plastic glasses when I'm applying heat. I've received the metal powders for making Thermite, that I've never done before, to burn through a palm tree stump. Thermite burns @ 4000 F! Steel is melted and spatters. I'm wearing full-cover goggles and running away when I ignite the Magnesium fuse. But I digress.

It may have been a flawed piece of glassware that you used. I'm curious about how the bowl was seated in the sand, and how you heated it. A sand bath, incidentally, was used in ancient times for very high temperature distillations, and it is possible that it focused too much heat on the bowl without the ability to lose the heat from air convection that would otherwise occur from an electric heating mantle or hot plate. If you are boiling only water, or something more volatile like Philosophic Mercury (Ethanol), a sand bath is Too hot. Pyrex bowls, unlike Pyrex baking pans, are not designed for ovens. Consider them like Pyrex measuring cups - made to take boiling water, like when making Jello.

http://books.google.com/books?id=s1CY904VtiYC&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=ash+bath+sand+bath+in+alchemy&source=bl&ots=5HJ18KZG98&sig=zqXaB18R120aqlsJmH5nVdjdiEY&hl=en&ei=I-RHTq_KGsXLgQfsupi2Bg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false Page 51, Four Degrees of Fire

My own Welch's Grape Juice Wine experiment failed this summer. I need Ethanol to prepare a Jupiterian elixir. I have the Melissa officinalis, and I even purchased an ingot of pure Tin. I was planning to draw a magick square for the planet, open my huge picture book Cosmos to a photo of Jupiter, and play Gustav Holtz's 'Jupiter' on The Planets, (which STILL hasn't arrived in the mail, but I bought it very inexpensively). I'm considering making some kind of Jupiterian incense to burn to add to the correspondences. Just sharing plans & failures ;-)

Karl
08-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I love seeing people invent their own setup. DIY- Paracelsus was very punk in spirit. Here are some of mine-

credit to True Puffer as the inspiration for this one:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/karlcrosby/teapotsmall.jpg

I made a Liebig condenser out of copper pipe and compression fittings. I can attach it to anything with the correct size hole drilled in it:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/karlcrosby/still-sm2.jpg

Same condenser with mason jar:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/karlcrosby/coppersmall.jpg

I've been working on learning ceramics in order to really go old school:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h19/karlcrosby/Ceramicdistillationtrain-sm2.jpg

I'm still on the fence about going to the Alchemy Conference- financial reasons only. If I didn't have to think about money I would be travelling over the entire planet learning from others about alchemy and herbalism.

Awani
08-14-2011, 11:11 PM
That is great Karl... I especially like the teapot pelican you have constructed!

:cool:

Donna Matrix
08-15-2011, 03:54 AM
thanks guys. I think the flask was too close to the bowl and that the bubbles of boiling water moving up the side of the flask made a vacuum . Besides,, this bowl was not designed for this function. I had just asked Holy Spirit to protect the operation.

This may have something to do with Binah. I recently met a high priestess of Hecate.. needless to say, things have been getting weird.

Anyways I'm already in so cal, it would be a shame to waste a great learing experience.. I am going to Russ House's lecture. I am so into this PONS stuff.

It s an honor to come upon the wisdom.

Donna Matrix
08-15-2011, 03:59 AM
Karl, love it!

My boyfriend is a radical DIYer. I am his muse.

MarkostheGnostic
08-15-2011, 07:40 PM
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/MarkosthGnostic/JackTudor.jpg

Jack Tudor is a theatrical alchemist. Cool alembic.

MarkostheGnostic
08-15-2011, 07:54 PM
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/MarkosthGnostic/TwinAlembics.jpg

I like to ask a local glassblower whether he could make an alembic out of borosilicate glass, and how much would he charge.

Donna Matrix
08-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the pics Markos!

I was just glad my parrot wasn't in my lab with me. She is very nosy and likes to hang out with me while I set stuff up. I also have a crystal skull which is my mineral partner, she was unhurt.

I have two distillation trains. I bought the first online from an unmentioned source selling to beginner alchemists. It was worthless for distilling because to make really good spirit of wine, you have to thave a thermometer.

So i spent the money on the right setup and i'm loving life. I really like how it holds alot of volume and is very convenient to use. The two aperatures in the boiling flask is cool. But i still need to upgrade to a vacuum setup. My boyfriend who is a tech engineering god insists on getting involved. I appreciate it actually cuz i'm very weak with the engineering. He can find and figure out anything of a gizmo nature.

I cannot work with much in my current living situation because i have to share with him and animals, so no urine distillation. Shucks! He was home during the explosion so he feels the need to get involved. we have already discussed the solvennts i hope to work with, and he has ruled almost all of it out.

For alot of reasons, we hope to move to a more rural location in the not too distant future. right now this is working out, and there are alot of businesses that sell what i need around town, not to mention online. When i figure how to post pics on this forum, i will.

Thanks for the input and the pics.

Karl
08-16-2011, 12:01 AM
That is great Karl... I especially like the teapot pelican you have constructed!

Thanks Dev- my fiance just giggles when she looks at it. Sexy distillation indeed.

I also have a crystal skull which is my mineral partner, she was unhurt.

Cool- I keep my wine spirit in a crystal skull

I have two distillation trains. I bought the first online from an unmentioned source selling to beginner alchemists. It was worthless for distilling because to make really good spirit of wine, you have to thave a thermometer.

I've only used the thermometer a few times. I enjoy being able to time the distillation and control the heat. One can see when the glycerin-like flow stops and water will begin. I know it makes a lot of sense to use the thermometer but I feel like it is cheating- just not medieval enough. I often cheat and use potassium carbonate to dry the wine after one or two distillations anyway. I feel like it is better to use the spirit of wine produced in this way then just buy anhydrous grain alcohol for tinctures. Distilling seven times in a row got old fairly fast.

For alot of reasons, we hope to move to a more rural location in the not too distant future. right now this is working out, and there are alot of businesses that sell what i need around town, not to mention online. When i figure how to post pics on this forum, i will.

You need to upload pictures to photobucket or some other photo hosting site. Copy the URL of the picture and use that in between the img markers: "URL"

My partner and I also are looking to move out of the city- we also have a similar dynamic with alchemy. She is very supportive but there are certain lines which cause great strife when I cross them. Ammonia is not a popular smell with Lisa. I do look forward to setting up an outdoor lab.

Awani
08-16-2011, 02:28 AM
When i figure how to post pics on this forum...

Apart from what Karl wrote check this also: http://forum.alchemyforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

:cool:

MarkostheGnostic
08-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the response Donna Matrix! I have been on holiday from a school system in which I work since June 11th, and work begins for me this morning! S**t! Anyway, I joined Photo Bucket, and copy the URL and paste right here.

A science teacher at the middle school where I work has been giving me all the mercury thermometers that turn up because they're 'hazardous' materials now. He also laid me onto some organic chemistry glassware that doesn't even belong in a middle school. This was when I suddenly decided to do some laboratory alchemy after literally decades of psychospiritual involvement in the Jungian school. It was all very unsolicited and synchronistic. Even though I was a chemistry hobbyist as a kid, from 10-17, I find it absolutely fascinating that people like you at this sight are trying to enter into an ancient alchemical mindset!

Yeah, I'd like to distill white phosphorus from urine (how much did Hennig Brand use I wonder?), but that's not gonna happen in our house. Anyway, I see that as chemistry, just like the Thermite I'm making to take out a palm tree stump. The alchemical involvement is the resurrection of the adolescent thrill of making a pyrotechnic! That will put me in another subjective time frame!

Glad your parrot wasn't hurt, but do be careful with heat!

Got to try to sleep. The 3 hits of Passion Flower might be working. Later.

Karl
08-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Black powder is fairly easy to make - so is a remote match - both of these things might be helpful with your thermite project. There are a bunch of useful recipes in this book, Absinthe and Flamethrowers:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qjynz4mtnzn

MarkostheGnostic
08-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the link Karl! Without having looked at the site, I did use to put glycerine on Potassium Permanganate to self-ignite. I never had much luck with black powder, but Potassium Chlorate explosives definitely worked well, as did Zinc dust and Sulphur rocket fuel (until I foolishly added Chlorate once, and had a terrific explosion on the steel launch rail! The CO2 cylinder engine could have killed me. The angle-iron tore and stretched like a ribbon). Going to work, will check your site later. THANKS!

Donna Matrix
08-16-2011, 10:11 PM
in my previous previous career I was a physical therpaist and treated many burns so I am very hesitant, even a big chicken shit about fire. I study and read like a maniac, work out the operations, and pray like an atheist in a fox hole.

My boyfriend has determined the limits of my experiments as he pays the rent. I don't argue about it. I may later tho.

Passion flower is great! I think benadryl is better. I try to go natural as much as possible, but by the third night, i'm a basket case if I can't sleep.

Did Karl say he puts his SV in a crystal skull? That rocks. I am bringing mine to the conference.

Today I am distilling in a water bath all day with no blow ups!

MarkostheGnostic
08-16-2011, 11:06 PM
I took Modafinil , 100 mg, for the 2nd time. This kept me going all day, setting up my room at the school and helping my art therapist whom they made move. Unfortunately, even now, exactly 13 hours later, I'm experiencing tachicardia. :( The effects supposedly last 15 hours, but I didn't yawn once all day. I took a 1 hour nap, and tonight I'll take 1 mg of Melatonin (maybe drink a glass or two of red wine). I have mitral valve prolapse, which became symptomatic in 2004, forcing me to see a cardiologist. He put me on a Beta-blocker which got rid of the tachicardia. Modafinil is contraindicated for people with MVP. :mad: Crap. It's great stuff in a pinch.

MarkostheGnostic
08-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Black powder is fairly easy to make - so is a remote match - both of these things might be helpful with your thermite project. There are a bunch of useful recipes in this book, Absinthe and Flamethrowers:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qjynz4mtnzn

Very interesting! Takes me back to childhood, and the probable cause of my failures - Brickettes! I knew about willow charcoal, just didn't go about cutting my neighbor's weeping willow tree, or my folks' pussy willow either! Hey, what do you want fro a 10-11 year old?

I do have this, from a local army-navy store for about $3 - http://www.amazon.com/Improvised-Munitions-Pentagon-U-S-Military/dp/0975900900/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313538545&sr=8-1

When I got off the bus from school in the 9th grade one day, my 10 year old brother was waiting for me, something he NEVER did before or after. "You're gonna get it! The FBI was here looking for you." Apparently, this publication was in violation of the Firearms Act of 1967, and I had a copy! They busted the company and looked up everyone who had purchased one. The agent left before I got home, asking my mom to turn it in if I had it. The Weathermen faction of the Students for a democratic Society (SDS) was blowing up draft boards back then. Probably paid $2.50 at the time. Still Have it. :D http://www.amazon.com/High-Low-Boom-Modern-Explosives/dp/B000BB2R0Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313538618&sr=1-1

I can blow up my tree stump, it's only 3' from my pool! But thanks again for the post.

ghetto alchemist
08-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for putting up some pics of your equipment Karl,

In the spirit of sharing, here is my still:

It is just a copper pipe with PVC fittings around the outside, and an aquarium pump in the bucket to pump the cooling water.
Looks a little bit ugly, and nowhere near as cool as your setup Karl, but it gets the job done :D

Regards
Ghetto Alchemist

Karl
08-19-2011, 02:25 AM
It is just a copper pipe with PVC fittings around the outside, and an aquarium pump in the bucket to pump the cooling water.
Looks a little bit ugly, and nowhere near as cool as your setup Karl, but it gets the job done :D

Cool! PVC makes a lot of sense as the condenser sleeve- making it out of copper was just kind of pricey. It doesn't take much heat to make PVC deform- has it caused you any problems? I can't tell how you are connected to the pressure cooker- is the tube crimped around the pressure valve with some teflon tape?

When I got off the bus from school in the 9th grade one day, my 10 year old brother was waiting for me, something he NEVER did before or after. "You're gonna get it! The FBI was here looking for you." Apparently, this publication was in violation of the Firearms Act of 1967, and I had a copy! They busted the company and looked up everyone who had purchased one. The agent left before I got home, asking my mom to turn it in if I had it. The Weathermen faction of the Students for a democratic Society (SDS) was blowing up draft boards back then. Probably paid $2.50 at the time. Still Have it. :D http://www.amazon.com/High-Low-Boom-Modern-Explosives/dp/B000BB2R0Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313538618&sr=1-1.

Great story Markos. I get nervous every time a new piece of equipment crosses the border, I keep expecting the federales to show up on my porch. I was an anarchist and arrested a number of times in government protests in my wayward youth- I'm kind of worried what might show up in a government database.

MarkostheGnostic
08-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Whoops. That should read: "I can't blow up my tree stump, it's only 3' from my pool! But thanks again for the post."

ghetto alchemist
08-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Cool! PVC makes a lot of sense as the condenser sleeve- making it out of copper was just kind of pricey. It doesn't take much heat to make PVC deform- has it caused you any problems? I can't tell how you are connected to the pressure cooker- is the tube crimped around the pressure valve with some teflon tape?

I have only had the temp up to 90 degrees C.
The PVC didn't warp or anything, in fact I didn't even notice it got hot, probably because the cooling water flows pretty fast. However the copper pipe obviously does get hot and that affects the seal between the PVC and the copper pipe. It wasn't a big deal, only a few drops of cooling water leaked out over several hours, but the seal definately did deteriorate due to the temperature. So a better seal at the hot end might be needed for perfection.

The copper pipe really just sits on the pressure cooker outlet like you said. I did crimp the pipe a little bit, but it isn't needed. The teflon tape bridges the gap nicely and seals it up perfectly.

I have only used it the one time so far, but it did run for about 6 hours with no trouble.

G Alchemist