PDA

View Full Version : Spagy​rics The Alchemical Preparatio​n of Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs,

Brennus
08-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I have bought a book,the title:Spagy​rics The Alchemical Preparatio​n of Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs,By Manfred M. Junius,i would like to know what the members think of the book?

Regards

Brennus

solomon levi
08-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Very excellent. It's one of the best modern ones IMO.

I'm going to move this to the Alchemical Texts area. :)

MarkostheGnostic
08-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I read Junius two summers ago, right after having read mark Stavish's book The Path of Alchemy. That was the period when I began to start doing laboratory work. The two authors differ in some things (like whether to use Potassium Carbonate to absorb water from Ethanol [and mineralize it in so doing], or not to use it). I tend to go with Junius when the two differ, and began to assemble an apparatus after Junios' design, using a chromatography reservoir as an aludel flask, on top of a boiling flask.
I also read at that time, a couple of books by Robert Bartlett, and one by Cotnoir.

Brennus
08-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Very excellent. It's one of the best modern ones IMO.

I'm going to move this to the Alchemical Texts area. :)

I am really looking forward to reading the book and making the Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs!

ALC93
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Resurrecting this topic...

Is "Spagyrics: The Alchemical Preparation of Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs" by Junius the same book as "The Practical Handbook of Plant Alchemy: An Herbalists Guide to Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs." As in, the same book with a new title?

They seem to have the same general chapter titles, but is the content the same? I ask because I keep seeing references on this site (and in books!) to "The Practical Handbook," but this book is out of print and goes used for $40. I have a pdf of "The Practical Handbook," but would prefer to have a hardcopy and would buy "Spagyrics" if it is basically the same text.

Illen A. Cluf
06-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Resurrecting this topic...

Is "Spagyrics: The Alchemical Preparation of Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs" by Junius the same book as "The Practical Handbook of Plant Alchemy: An Herbalists Guide to Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs." As in, the same book with a new title?

They seem to have the same general chapter titles, but is the content the same? I ask because I keep seeing references on this site (and in books!) to "The Practical Handbook," but this book is out of print and goes used for $40. I have a pdf of "The Practical Handbook," but would prefer to have a hardcopy and would buy "Spagyrics" if it is basically the same text.

The two are the same. The first American edition of the book was published in 1985 under the title "The Practical Handbook of Plant Alchemy: An Herbalists Guide to Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs. The second edition retained that title. The third American edition was published in 2007 under the title "Spagyrics: The Alchemical Preparation of Medicinal Essences, Tinctures, and Elixirs".

Thus you can safely purchase the newer "Spagyrics" edition.

Illen

ALC93
06-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Thus you can safely purchase the newer "Spagyrics" edition.
Illen

Awesome! Thanks! :cool:

D.Trout
10-10-2012, 11:59 PM
This IS an excellent book! I read most of it as a PDF, and then bought it in paperback.

I have it as PDF, (old edition of "The Practical Handbook of Plant Alchemy") If anyone would like it, message me.