PDA

View Full Version : Temperance Ghetto Style

ghetto alchemist
08-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Folks,

In the not-to-distant future I will be starting my process using quartz crystal.
In the meantime I need to build 2 pieces of equipment, and this thread is for the first one.

This is the problem:
http://www.learntarotonline.com/tarot-blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/temperance-348x600.jpg

Simply pour liquid from one container into another, but with both containers under a vacuum the whole time. In my case the containers are glass bottles.
There is probably proper lab equipment available already to achieve this, but I don't know what it is.... I don't have it....... I probably can't afford it.....and besides this way is much more fun.

To start with I will need to set up 2 glass bottles with sealable taps on them, and
apply vacuum to both like this:

Then connect them together with an attachment to a vacuum pump in the middle, and tip the liquid from one flask into the other like this:

This is how the equipment looks once assembled, the nipple is for a vacuum hose to attach to:
I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

ghetto alchemist
08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Tested it today.... and the good news is that the device works and the principle is sound.
The bad news is that it slowly leaks through the attachment around the top of the bottles.

I will have to find another way to attach the apparatus to the bottles, maybe rubber automative hose instead of the clear plastic hose that I used.

G Alchemist

Karl
09-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Tested it today.... and the good news is that the device works and the principle is sound.
The bad news is that it slowly leaks through the attachment around the top of the bottles.

I will have to find another way to attach the apparatus to the bottles, maybe rubber automative hose instead of the clear plastic hose that I used.

G Alchemist

I love this contraption- good work. Try compression fittings- bring your bottle with you to the hardware store in order to size it correctly. There is a huge selection of multi-function fittings and they are generally used to connect PEK tubing for plumbing purposes. I'm fairly sure this should solve the problem.

ghetto alchemist
09-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your heads up there Karl, but I finally got there already, read on.....

It ended up that there were 2 problems, not just the seals around the bottles, but also the taps themselves were leaking. That will teach me to use the cheapest taps I could buy.

The solution was to replace the taps with a better albeit more expensive version and coating around the seals with a silicone and cornflour mixture.
These new taps are based on a rotating ball instead of a screw.
The ones I used are only rated for water, but surprisingly they still hold vacuum. They are made in Italy though, not China so the quality may be an issue. The cost was $17 each, a little pricey, but they do the job.

These new bottles will hold a vacuum indefinately without leaking at all.

So here is how the final result was made:

Parts required for one flask are a bottle, pvc adapter, a small piece of 25mm clear poly hose and 2 hose clamps.

use the poly tube to join the bottle and adater with the hose clamps to tighten it up.
The hose clamps are only to stop the poly hose from moving.

Screw the tap onto the top

To make the sealant I used ordinary silicon caulk with some cornflour mixed together.
Once mixed it becomes a horrible messy goop, but it will completely cure in only 1-2 days.

The sealant is simply smeared all around the neck. I have probably used a bit of overkill, but silicone caulk is cheap and I don't want to take any chances.

Here are 2 flasks connected together again with the vacuum pump in the middle.
I hadn't yet caulked up the second bottle when I took the picture, but you can get the idea.

Regards
G Alchemist

Karl
09-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Cool- good work. I really appreciate your ingenuity. I think this aspect of inventing apparatus is a very traditional part of alchemy. Finally getting to "It works!" is a fantastic feeling.

The silicone and cornflour lutum will probably be fine but the cornflour might mold. Something like a fine silica sand (might have to be ball milled to reach the desired fineness). I'd also use fish tank silicone- it probably will never contact the substance but I'd rather go with food safe just in case. If I was going to make a version of this apparatus I would use mason jars- drill a hole in the lids and use compression fittings to make the connection. No silicone and one can just unscrew the lids for cleaning access.

Great solution. I'd love to see photo documents of the actual work with quartz as you do it.

Ghislain
09-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi GA

Below are the components for my set up.

http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/FPE/images/pneumatics7_5.jpg

Just kidding stole the pic from a site about vacuums and vacuum generators. :)

What pressure, or should I say -pressure, are you going to work with?

and may I ask what will be the desired effect of tipping the liquid within a vacuum?

and why are the taps necessary?

Just a thought but could you perhaps use heat shrink around the joints to seal them?
(The tubular type used on cables and such.)

Sorry if the above seems a little nosey, it's just curiosity :)

Ghislain

ghetto alchemist
09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for your kind words Karl, I agree with you about building our own equipment where possible,
and on that issue I am already in awe of your work, especially your ceramic vessels and connectors.

I do intend to document my process with quartz but I am still undecided as to whether I will publish it on this forum or not. I have decided however to document my equipment though. I still have one more thing to build, which I am doing right now and I will put that up soon.

Ghislain, I don't consider what you are asking to be nosey, in fact you have asked pretty fair questions, and I am sure that others are also probably wondering the same. So I will try to answer below:

What pressure, or should I say -pressure, are you going to work with?

I reckon exact vacuum pressures are not too important.
They were doing this at (and even before) the the time of Jesus, so I think as long as most of the air is removed should be good enough, well within the reach of my little vacuum pump.
Before you ask.....no I don't believe that Jesus used a vacuum pump, he would have had a different way to generate vacuum. I will leave it for someone else to work out (and explain) how.

and may I ask what will be the desired effect of tipping the liquid within a vacuum?

All the texts say to separate one substance into 2 parts (you know the whole rebus thing).
One part ends up becoming red (sulfur) and the other part becomes glowing white.
So the tipping part is only to split the contents of one flask into 2 flasks, then make the white and red ..etc.... but the separation (and recombination) has to maintain the vacuum.

and why are the taps necessary?

Once the contents are distributed equally between 2 flasks I will separate the flasks.
In fact they need to be physically separate to make one turn red and the other turn white
The taps are there to "keep the crude air out" once the flasks are separate.

I do have quite a lot to say about the importance of vacuum in the work, but right now I will hold my tongue and provide only one short quote about the matter:

"Art can do something which Nature is unable to perform, by removing the crude air"
MICHAEL SENDIVOGIUS

Regards
G Alchemist

Andro
01-24-2013, 04:48 AM
Hey Ghetto Alchemist,

I just stumbled upon this thread and I was wandering if there are any interesting updates about this experiment (if you're still checking in here from time to time)...

I reckon exact vacuum pressures are not too important. They were doing this at (and even before) the time of Jesus [...]

Do you know of any documented references in this regard?

"Art can do something which Nature is unable to perform, by removing the crude air"
MICHAEL SENDIVOGIUS

Interesting quote. Which Sendivogius work is it taken from?
If I remember correctly, there are other writers mentioning the exclusion of 'crude air'.
I think Bacstrom is one of them, but I'm not sure...

ghetto alchemist
02-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Hi Androgenous,

Yeah I do still check in from time to time, but I haven done much with this project since I published.

The other equipment that I mentioned was a ghetto style athanor, which is really just a poor mans magnetic shield. I did photograph that as I built it, so it can be put up here if there is any interest.

Right now I feel a kind of paralysis to do any lab work, it is a mixture of fear and indecision.

After I first wrote this thread I tried this process:
1 Convert a quartz crystal to tiny pieces by heating and quenching with water several times over.
2 Placed the quartz powder with dry sodium hydroxide granules and heated until liquid, maintained heat for another hour or so.
3 Add water to create lye solution
4 Add ether to lye solution
5 separate ether and apply vacuum to boil it off.

I did all this and was left with a small amount of yellow liquid, looked like water with yellow color.
It was not thick nor greasy, and it did not disappear when I exposed it to normal air pressure, which means it wasnīt the substance I was looking for.
I theorised that maybe I should have first reduced the pH to neutral BEFORE adding the ether, but I have not tried again to find out.

Instead I went back to the books.

Now I suspect that dissolving quartz in lye is not the right path.
Also, it is not really the natural way anyway.
I have since read the book ĻResearches on magnetism, electricity, heat, light, crystallization, and chemical attraction, in their relations to the vital force" by Karl Baron Von Reichenbach [translated by William Gregory]. It is a great book and should be required reading for all alchemists. Reichenbah detected and experimented on a kind of energy that is emitted from the tips of crystals and other things, that can be stored in water.

Amazing as is is, I now suspect that the quartz crystals may generate the energy required for the great work without needing to be pulverised and dissolved.

Havenīt tested this out yet, but theoretically, that is where I am at right now.

Anyway, this apparatus is only really useful once you have a flask of Azoth/magic stuff to begin with. I donīt have it, and probably never will, most of us on this forum are probably the same.

With regards to stuff that you asked me:
The Sendivogius quote is from one of the books in Volume II of the hermetic encyclopedia, I canīt remember which book exactly though.

I donīt have any documented proof that Jesus or his followers were practising alchemy save for what is written in the new testament.
Most of Jesus miracles are pure alchemy to me. Eg curing all the sick. I clearly remember the one where he made mud from his saliva and put it in a blind mans eyes and restored his sight. The inference is that Jesus spit is holy, but I suspect that the powder that turned to mud is where the real magic is.

A lot of other stuff from Jesus is pure alchemy to me, all the stuff about bread and fishing, is code for how they did their filtering and purifying of their substance. And the whole concept of being born again, to me refers to the effect of losing all your hair and teeth after consuming the stone. In essence, you become an adult who looks like a new born baby for a time. I also assume that Mary the Jewess is Mary Magdalene.

All of it conjecture on my part and possibly none of it true.
But if true, it means that the technical precision of our equipment is not that important.

Lastly: The whole idea of the vacuum is based on the ormus document that said when you have water and ormus together and pull a vacuum to boil off the water, a grease remains, and then instantly disappears once air pressure is restored.

I assume that the grease is what the old timers called mercury.

There is also a quote from Cassanova where he mentions meeting the Count of Saint Germain and seeing a flask sealed with wax with a liquid inside it, when he pierced the wax seal with a pin, the contents of the flask instantly dissappeared. This is essentially the same effect as described in the ormus literature.

So....How did the old timers generate vacuum....?
By using the top of a column of mercury 28Ļ high.
In order to make a tap for their flask, they used an S shape on the top of their flask with wax inside. Heat the wax and tip the flask while connected to a column of mercury to pull the vacuum.
Change the angle of the flask and reheat to reflow the wax back to reseal it. Do this multiple times off the top of a mercury column and you have a vacuumed flask. It also explains why they all mention mercury, it was an ESSENTIAL substance for the great work, but only for generating the vacuum.

Thanks for asking Androgenous, Iīve been wanting to write this stuff for a while, but just needed a prod to actually do it.

Regards
G Alchemist

Awani
02-01-2013, 08:46 PM
What do you imply when you use the word Ghetto? I know what the word means, just wondering why you use it and how you see it?

:cool:

zoas23
02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
What do you imply when you use the word Ghetto? I know what the word means, just wondering why you use it and how you see it?
:cool:

I always assumed he uses it just like the "rappers" or other musicians or artists who mean that they are using non-expensive equipment or even home-made equipement with what they have at hand... and probably spending $5 for doing something that other people would do spending $2,000.

I am often amazed by his creative style.

And not in the sense of a religious or ethnic ghetto.

... but that's my guess and not his answer... now I am curious too.

ghetto alchemist
02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Dev wrote:

Zoas23 replied:

I always assumed he uses it just like the "rappers" or other musicians or artists who mean that they are using non-expensive equipment or even home-made equipement with what they have at hand... and probably spending $5 for doing something that other people would do spending $2,000.

Youīre absolutely right Zoas.

I believe very strongly in the idea that alchemy, real alchemy should be able to be performed by anyone, even the poorest and most destitute. While I donīt see anything wrong with buying equipment off the shelf if you have the money and means, there is a real purity about making your own equipment and spending small amounts of money.

Besides my lofty ideas of purity though, that is how the old timers were forced to operate hundreds of years ago.
They didnīt walk into a store and buy oil of vitriol (sulphuric acid), or sweet oil of vitriol (diethyl ether) because they werenīt available. Ironically even in the 21st century these simple chemicals are not publicly available, so the modern alchemist may still have to synthesise his own just as the old timers did, only for different reasons.

The old timers also couldnīt buy their own athanors or vacuum apparatus, because these aspects were secret, so they had to create their own. These days we can buy vacuum equipment off the shelf, and even magnetic shielding is available.

There is a ghetto way of doing vacuum without an expensive vacuum pump or using poisonous mercury, it can be done with a bike pump.
But I was given a vac pump for free, so I never had to use the ghetto way. In that respect I have cheated my own idea.

But magnetic shielding is used for high tech industries such as medical imaging and nuclear materials handling, and so is incredibly expensive. The rich guys buy them made from super expensive nickel alloys and literally spend a couple of thousand dollars, the poor guys use steel, rust, clay and old videotape to do the same.

So yeah......to me.....ghetto refers to making your own equipment on the cheap.
And the idea that the poor man can access the art just as easily as the rich man.

I realise now that it might mean something different to other people, if it causes offense to anyone, then please let me know and I can attempt to remedy that.

Regards
G Alchemist

Andro
02-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the elaborate response, G!

I'm glad you did get around to address these topics, and judging by your last two posts, you may be headed in some quite lucrative directions (IMO).

There are some real pearls in between the lines of what you wrote :)

I have to take off now, but I hope I'll be able to add to this topic soon.

thrival
02-02-2013, 09:46 AM
Like yourself I've always felt the Bible talks about Alchemy. When building Solomon's temple, the OT says "They turned gold to brittle glass" (an alchemical process.) Jesus applying spittle & mud to cure blindness is alchemy, confirmed by Johann Glauber who mentioned human excretions: sweat, blood, urine, feces, spittle, being prima materia for "the work." Specifically he said that a fasting man's spittle will coagulate mercury, which was a big deal back then. Note he didn't say tinge, so I've not bothered with that experiment.