PDA

View Full Version : Marigold Flower - Lutein

thoth
08-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi

I had a question which I'd appreciate if anyone has any ideas on it.

I have some damage to my eyes similar to Macular degeneration(MD). The pigment Lutein from the Marigold flower has been proven to reverse MD, as this pigement is present in the eye.
(Intrestingly Culpepper listed Marigold as an eye cure).

So I would like to extract the Lutein, - or should I just do a standard elixer or would that destroy the pigment.
Should I do a stema distillation of the oil ?
(I have read Junius, Stavish and Bartlett),

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

ghetto alchemist
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi Thoth

Because it's the pigment that you are after, you should know if you have it or not by the color of your extracts. That should make it fairly easy I guess.

You could start by soaking in water for 2-3 days.
If you get lucky that might do the trick.

Otherwise you could try soaking in vodka or pure alcohol for 2-3 days.
If that doesn't work either, there is always steam distillation (as you already know) or other solvents like kerosine perhaps.

Also if you can get it with water and/or alcohol you should be able to further purify with ether or something similar.

Be sure to let us know if you have any success or even failure with whatever you try.
Good luck.

G Alchemist

thoth
09-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Ghetto Alchemist,

Thanks for suggestion. Yes, I think alcohol soaking is best way to go. I have some books on herbalism, on the the way from amazon (Paul Beyerl, Margaret Grieve, Bacstrom's Encyclopedia), so will consult these before going ahead,

Aside from that, I just finsihed my first Primum Ens Melissa, so will see how that goes too.....