PDA

View Full Version : Working with Mugwort

Susu
09-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I was excited to start my work on the mugwort elixir this morning by doing a short meditation followed by preparing the herbs on the planetary hour of Venus. I played Gustav Holst's "Venus" to get me in the mindset and grounded as much as I can of the herbs and placed it in an 8oz jar. I then slowly poured 4oz of the grained alcohol (75.5%. Highest they have here in Florida) into the jar with the mugwort.

My problem comes where I realized that the mugwort is soaking up almost all of the alcohol, leaving the top exposed. I placed the mixture into a pint size mason jar and added another 6oz of alcohol in it. I was wondering if this action or disproportion of herb to alcohol would cause a failure in the outcome of my elixir.:(

Seth-Ra
09-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Personally, i dont think it will hurt it. Ive never been one for keeping exact measurements with anything - just kinda "wing-it" with intuition. lol So i wouldnt stress over it. :) Keep up with the good energy.

~Seth-Ra

Frater IA
09-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Mugwort is an awesome little herb. It grow wild up in the Pacific Northwest US, where I live, and I plan to start growing some in my back yard for herbal tea purposes. It doesn't taste all that great, but you can mix it with peppermint to both cover the flavor a little and aid with your digestive tract. Mugwort has always been great for lucid dreaming and psychic abilities.

MarkostheGnostic
09-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I was excited to start my work on the mugwort elixir this morning by doing a short meditation followed by preparing the herbs on the planetary hour of Venus. I played Gustav Holst's "Venus" to get me in the mindset and grounded as much as I can of the herbs and placed it in an 8oz jar. I then slowly poured 4oz of the grained alcohol (75.5%. Highest they have here in Florida) into the jar with the mugwort.

My problem comes where I realized that the mugwort is soaking up almost all of the alcohol, leaving the top exposed. I placed the mixture into a pint size mason jar and added another 6oz of alcohol in it. I was wondering if this action or disproportion of herb to alcohol would cause a failure in the outcome of my elixir.:(

Greetings to another Floridian! Where about do you reside in the Sunshine State?
If you haven't steam-distilled the Philosophical Sulphur off of the plant first, by macerating it and steeping it in water, the essential oils will be leached out in the alcohol giving you a 'tincture,' to be precise, rather than an 'elixir,' but no matter. Will you Calcine the leached Mugwort, leach the Salt, and add it to your tincture?

Only Spiritus Vino should be used for Spagyrics, and my own attempts at fermentation so far have yielded terrible results. The Welch's grape juice that I added yeast to an hour after the begin of the Autumnal Equinox seems to be smelling of sulphur dioxide, not ethanol production! Over the summer I bought some equipment, and lost 5 gallons of grape juice to failure. Not even vinegar came of it, which could've been concentrated and useful for extraction of Sulphur. Sorry for the gripe. :(

Susu
09-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Greetings to another Floridian! Where about do you reside in the Sunshine State?

I reside in Orlando. Although there are a lot of young blood with a decent amount of spiritual people I haven't come across any fellow Alchemist, unless they are hidden as well.

If you haven't steam-distilled the Philosophical Sulphur off of the plant first, by macerating it and steeping it in water, the essential oils will be leached out in the alcohol giving you a 'tincture,' to be precise, rather than an 'elixir,' but no matter. Will you Calcine the leached Mugwort, leach the Salt, and add it to your tincture?

I thought the method I was following would lead to making an elixir by adding in the later calcined Salt and letting it digest unless I am mistaken.

Sophic Sulfur + Sophic Mercury = tincture
Sophic Sulfur + Sophic Mercury + Sophic Salt = elixir

I don't have a proper distiller yet but I have looked at other "crafty" distilliation setups using tea pots but I got questions with that too. Anyways, how would I steam distill the Sophic Sulfur off?

MarkostheGnostic
10-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I reside in Orlando. Although there are a lot of young blood with a decent amount of spiritual people I haven't come across any fellow Alchemist, unless they are hidden as well.

I thought the method I was following would lead to making an elixir by adding in the later calcined Salt and letting it digest unless I am mistaken.

Sophic Sulfur + Sophic Mercury = tincture
Sophic Sulfur + Sophic Mercury + Sophic Salt = elixir

I don't have a proper distiller yet but I have looked at other "crafty" distilliation setups using tea pots but I got questions with that too. Anyways, how would I steam distill the Sophic Sulfur off?

http://www.copper-alembic.com/products_class_anim.php?cat_id=8&lang=en&flashanim=anima08.swf Here is a copper rotating column still. The column can be removed for simple distillation of spirits, but this is a steam distillation set up. Here is mine, in glass. It is a modern alembic which uses a 2000 mg RBF, with a chromatography reservoir used as an aludel flask above. The plant matter is placed in the aludel, and if fine, there is a fine stainless steel mesh at the bottom of the aludel. Watch the video-link to see how oils are driven out as vapor, then condensed and collected.

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=492

Ghislain
10-01-2011, 05:22 AM
MTG

In the video link the final condensed material separates into two different flasks.

Why is that and how does it happen?

Thanks

Ghislain

MarkostheGnostic
10-01-2011, 05:36 AM
The hydrosol contains hydro- (water) and essential oil. Oil separators automatically separate the layers. The copper stills have additional oil separators. My glass still's condenser tube terminates in a separatory funnel with a petcock. Opening the petcock drains the heavier water (which can be returned to the boiling flask as 'phlegm'), heaving the lighter essential oil - Philosophical Sulphur.

http://www.copper-alembic.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=147

Ghislain
10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
MarkostheGnostic

Seems cool

How much does a setup like that cost?

I think it is time to move away from the jam jars and wine bottles :)

What I would really like is a flask that I think I saw in one of Green Lions posts
it is a RBF with a central joint so it would be easy to clean...cant find it anywhere.

GL is it is yours? Could you let me know if it is a good investment and also what temperatures it can take?

Thanks

Ghislain

MarkostheGnostic
10-01-2011, 08:59 PM
MarkostheGnostic

Seems cool

How much does a setup like that cost?

I think it is time to move away from the jam jars and wine bottles :)

What I would really like is a flask that I think I saw in one of Green Lions posts
it is a RBF with a central joint so it would be easy to clean...cant find it anywhere.

GL is it is yours? Could you let me know if it is a good investment and also what temperatures it can take?

Thanks

Ghislain

Well, the RBF was given to me by a man at a flea market many years ago, just because he saw I showed interest. I hadn't touched such things since college chemistry, and didn't take it out til a couple of years ago. Then, a co-worker, a science teacher at our middle school, out of the blue asked me if I could use some organic chemistry glassware from the 70s, which was never used in middle school! It was synchronistic with my new desire to explore laboratory alchemy. I purchased the heating mantle on ebay. Must have been $50-60 with the rheostat and power cord extra, all from ebay. The 3-rod ring stand I made in metal shop in the 9th grade. The Bunsen burner is decades old. I had the propane torch. The water-cooler, tubing, Keck clips for the glassware, the Teflon tape for ground glass connections (instead of silicone grease) are inexpensive.

I don't play golf, or go to expensive concerts. I don't have a drug habit, and we don't eat out (or much). Neither do I have any kids. Compared to a set of golf clubs, or the green fees, these expenditures are minimal. This spiritual 'hobby' is expected to take me into my retirement years. Like the Ouroborus, I am taking tail-in-mouth - childhood chemistry with late adulthood alchemy - physical and spiritual together.

BTW, I'm unsure what kind of flask you were referring to.

Susu
10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
I now have the Sulfur and Mercury of Mugwort separated from the plant mass, which went through calcination leaving a dark gray ash. Should I distill the Sulfur and Mercury tincture, since it was only used with 75% alcohol? I am still going to put the ash under more fire but I can only do so much in an apartment oven. =/

bleeding yolk
08-27-2014, 05:48 PM
....mugwort has tradit6ionally been used for moxibustion.......due to its high burning temperature and unusual electro-mag , properties.......