PDA

View Full Version : P. Cubensis

Frater IA
10-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Just purchased a P. Cubensis grow kit from a local shop (cash of course, lol). Have a buddy coming over bringing sterile medical supplies to work with. Will attempt to keep pictures and up to date journal entries of the process.

-IA

Awani
10-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Great. Looking forward to the pics. Always thought about a grow kit, but never got round to it...

:cool:

Frater IA
10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Germination started on Tuesday, 11, October. Kit is pretty self explanitory, no mold expected during germination due to rye berries and spores being in sealed container together.

Frater IA
10-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Looked at it last night, no changes at all. Changed position in house to right next to heater vent with cover in hopes that it will take on more heat. House probably around 65 degree F, specimen calls for 70 to 80 degrees F.

MarkostheGnostic
10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Just purchased a P. Cubensis grow kit from a local shop (cash of course, lol). Have a buddy coming over bringing sterile medical supplies to work with. Will attempt to keep pictures and up to date journal entries of the process.

-IA

Cool. I recommend this community. There's over a decade of archived experience from thousands of people. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/2 I've been a regular there (in other forums usually) since 1999.

BTW, the PF (Psilocybe Fanaticus) method, is by far, the simplest, most reliable technique. Spore syringes can be purchased through vendors at shroomery.org, but HERE is the page of directions. Please read Contents to Chapter 7. You can't miss .http://www.fungifun.org/fanaticus/index.htm

MarkostheGnostic
10-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Looked at it last night, no changes at all. Changed position in house to right next to heater vent with cover in hopes that it will take on more heat. House probably around 65 degree F, specimen calls for 70 to 80 degrees F.

You can warm a grow box by sitting it on a heating pad, set on LOW. Inside humidity must remain high.

Frater IA
10-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Final position for about the last 4-5 days has been in roomates room because it is the warmest in the house with a space heater pointed at it. Currently we have small growth of the mycellium. A few spots the size of a dime. My roomate mixed it up again, however, I'm not so sure that's a good idea once growth has started.

MarkostheGnostic
10-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Final position for about the last 4-5 days has been in roomates room because it is the warmest in the house with a space heater pointed at it. Currently we have small growth of the mycellium. A few spots the size of a dime. My roomate mixed it up again, however, I'm not so sure that's a good idea once growth has started.

If you have one of those pre-sterilized rye grain plastic buckets that you release spores from a sealed unit, then it is important to redistribute the mycelial growth by shaking it up. My own two first attempts at such a technique failed because I didn't break up the golf-ball sized mycelial mass. However, it is also important to wait until the mycelial mass has taken strongly enough, so as not to squash and kill the mycelial strands. I don't know what kind of kit you're referring to. Do you have a link?

http://i43.tinypic.com/vheon8.jpg

Frater IA
11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Those are beautiful. I can't link it at the moment, I'm on a government network, firewall "stomped on my dick" so to speak. Yeah, I know that once you are ready to move it from the rye berries to the mulch/soil that you must break it up, my worry was the initial growths accidentally getting destroyed by too much unnecessary roughness. They mycellium is expanding slowly. I have a buddy who bought the same kit (its called "Big Mushroom Kit in a Small Box" if you care to google it) and he started a week after me, and will most likely have his first harvest or whatnot by this friday, he kept his apartment at 80+ degrees F the entire time.

Frater IA
11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Mycellium grown over rye berries. We got sterile gloves and alcohol swabs to transfer it (broken apart into small chunks) into the soil and mulch. Good feelings about it. Buddy picked up some liberty caps for a first experience probably this weekend. Planning various music, as well as having a bonfire in the backyard during this. May attempt to do some simple GD stuff during this time.

Frater IA
11-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Had my first experience last night, I believe I was somewhere around a 3 or 4 in overall effectiveness. I became so detached from everything that upon seeing it, it was brand new to me, and I had no feelings or memories to attach to it, so it was absolutely wonderful. I'm pretty sure that multiple times through the evening that my microcosm and the macrocosm felt as one. So that was pretty interesting, however, there was nothing I could do more than just sit there and experience it. Even attempting to get up to use the bathroom was almost impossible (not quite impossible, but pretty rough to say the least). It was definately enlightening.

MarkostheGnostic
11-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Had my first experience last night, I believe I was somewhere around a 3 or 4 in overall effectiveness. I became so detached from everything that upon seeing it, it was brand new to me, and I had no feelings or memories to attach to it, so it was absolutely wonderful. I'm pretty sure that multiple times through the evening that my microcosm and the macrocosm felt as one. So that was pretty interesting, however, there was nothing I could do more than just sit there and experience it. Even attempting to get up to use the bathroom was almost impossible (not quite impossible, but pretty rough to say the least). It was definately enlightening.

Namaste! Was your 'ally' picked in the wild or cultivated? (Just curious). A friend of ours moved to Washington a few years ago. He once got arrested for trespassing in Florida while seeking the magick mushroom. He decided that the most discrete way to obtain them is home cultivation. Our government seems little concerned about this unless one is growing huge amounts and selling the fruiting bodies. Florida doesn't prosecute for being in possession due to a case (Fisk v. State of Florida) which says that the average person may not know they've picked a mushroom with a Scheduled substance in it. Of course, it is absurd to create laws prohibiting picking plants. This is some draconian, bass-ackward mentality.

Liberty Caps (P.semilanceata) are native to Washington, as well as Wavy Caps (P. cyanecens). But beware of the Galerina autumnalis, which looks a lot like the Liberty Cap, and grows right among them. Every 'shroom should be be identified by its spores. Galerinas have brown spores, all Psilocybes but a rare P. tampanensis which is unavailable, have violet-black spores, as far as I know. Spore shape is also a tell-tale indicator.

Frater IA
11-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Oh no, these were purchased from professional. ;) I am still growning my own P Cubensis. They have taken to the dirt and mulch quite nicely, and we are already getting some small nubs coming up from the mycellium. We aren't to the point of airing the bag out yet, but I feel we will be soon.

Frater IA
11-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Mycellium is doing REALLY good, we have little nubbies growing off them already, within a week to 10 days we are expecting the first group of fruits. ;)

MarkostheGnostic
11-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Mycellium grown over rye berries. We got sterile gloves and alcohol swabs to transfer it (broken apart into small chunks) into the soil and mulch. Good feelings about it. Buddy picked up some liberty caps for a first experience probably this weekend. Planning various music, as well as having a bonfire in the backyard during this. May attempt to do some simple GD stuff during this time.

Casing a grain substrate can be very tricky: darkness and red light are recommended indoors. The roughness of the substrate's surface is significant for pin formation, and Trichoderma, among other contaminants can ruin the whole project. I have been using the grain cakes without casing them, and soaking them under water in the refrigerator overnight to encourage multiple flushes of fruit. Since I don't have a 'brown thumb,' I simply maintain sterility with a HEPA-filtered glove box until the cakes are birthed, and then keep the separate grow chamber humid, but well-drained to suppress bacteria and fungal weeds.

First-time (or 10th time) newbies should ideally surrender to the interior world, in partial to total darkness; not engage in social interaction or attempt to control the experience by 'using' it for one's agenda. That is ALL ego. The Mushroom has its own agenda, and if one complies, one will be taught things. If one is as fortunate as Gordon Wasson, (or Ram Dass), one will experience The Witness, AKA The Knowledge of and Conversation with One's Holy Guardian Angel. It doesn't get any more GD than that. ;)

MarkostheGnostic
11-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Oh no, these were purchased from professional. ;) I am still growning my own P Cubensis. They have taken to the dirt and mulch quite nicely, and we are already getting some small nubs coming up from the mycellium. We aren't to the point of airing the bag out yet, but I feel we will be soon.

Glove Box Forum. I recommend plastic collapsable clothes-drier hose to extend the gloves. One lb. coffee cans or 4" PVC pipe-couplings can be used to join hose to gloves and hose to box.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/75

Ghislain
11-23-2011, 12:47 AM
You can warm a grow box by sitting it on a heating pad, set on LOW. Inside humidity must remain high.

Hi MTG

I have a heating pad for a snake tank. would that be ok...it has not heating control?

Ghislain

MarkostheGnostic
12-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi MTG

I have a heating pad for a snake tank. would that be ok...it has not heating control?

Ghislain

Sorry for the late response. Experiment. BUT, www.shroomery.org has archived tens of thousands of growing experiences in their relevant forums. You can search posts with key words, and ask people on the grow forums who are enthusiastic about helping newbies.