PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy course for academic credit online, available?

being
10-14-2011, 05:52 PM
I need college credit, since I am new to alchemy it would be nice to find an online course that teaches history of alchemy or anything alchemy-related. Even if the course is not the best that's ok since it will be interesting to me (hey it's about alchemy!) and I get the college credit for it at the same time! This has to fall within the art appreciation, history, social science realm of academia.

Can't find one yet, does anyone here know of college courses (regionally accredited US colleges) that teaches some aspect of alchemy and that's is done entirely online?

Thanks!!

Edit: On a second thought, I guess a course on any of these topics might suffice: Qabalah, Hermeticism , astrology or ancient Egypt, Asian mysticism, mysticism in general.. Do you know ones you'd recommend (for academic credit, online only)?

Weidenfeld
10-26-2011, 05:25 PM
I need college credit, since I am new to alchemy it would be nice to find an online course that teaches history of alchemy or anything alchemy-related. Even if the course is not the best that's ok since it will be interesting to me (hey it's about alchemy!) and I get the college credit for it at the same time! This has to fall within the art appreciation, history, social science realm of academia.

Can't find one yet, does anyone here know of college courses (regionally accredited US colleges) that teaches some aspect of alchemy and that's is done entirely online?

Thanks!!

Edit: On a second thought, I guess a course on any of these topics might suffice: Qabalah, Hermeticism , astrology or ancient Egypt, Asian mysticism, mysticism in general.. Do you know ones you'd recommend (for academic credit, online only)?

I think best for your special approach might be alchemywebsite.com. There you might find all facets of alchemy of a more scholarly way.

MarkostheGnostic
10-26-2011, 09:47 PM
http://www.flamelcollege.org/catalog.htm

being
10-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Good suggestion, but this wont transfer as academic credit -- they are darn elitist in academia!

Flamel College is a non-traditional school offering alternative education in the Esoteric Arts and Hermetic Sciences. Our courses are accredited by appropriate governing bodies and organizations, but are generally not transferrable to conventional universities. We work with a wide variety of organizations to ensure our students receive international acceptance of their coursework and peer recognition of all certificates and diplomas issued by Flamel College

MarkostheGnostic
10-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I didn't much think so. Outside of a post-graduate institute like one of the Jungian analytical training institutes, you are NOT going to find a college course exclusively on esoteric topics. I have given lectures on ceremonial magick, or Jungian dream interpretation, or Jungian Active Imagination (which is identical to the "True Imagination" of the alchemists that D.W. Hauck speaks of in The Emerald Tablet), but I was either a student myself, or a guest lecturer. I can't imagine teaching a practical course in, say, Spagyrics, and assigning a grade in a conservative university setting. Nobody in academia wants to be tagged Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. :D

being
10-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Yes, the academic system is dysfunctional, that's why all the inventions that could get us off fossil fuels never make it to the market.. It's such a hierarchical system, with big egos, driven by funding and fear of a tarnished reputation. Elitism and fear ..

There will come a day, where magic, the spirit, subtle energies, and main-stream science become one.. not in this lifetime though.

Thanks

being
10-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I didn't much think so. Outside of a post-graduate institute like one of the Jungian analytical training institutes, you are NOT going to find a .....

I cannot find this institute when I look on google for "Jungian analytic training institutes". Is it defunct? Do you have their URL?

MarkostheGnostic
10-27-2011, 08:23 PM
http://irsja.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=122 I was speaking generically, there are many.

Davin Maki
11-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Being,
Do you need continuing education units (CEUs), undergraduate credit, or graduate level credit? Either way, you might try looking at a history of science course.
I think you would be surprised as to how much you could learn about the various schools of thought, the history of mystical metallurgy,
and source materials in such a class. I took a course at The Evergreen State College called Alchemy: Spiritual and Chemical, which
was a combination of the history of chemistry and physics for 16 credits. I was able to design my own project, where I created my first
Lapis vegitalibis, then I presented it to my peers. I don't regret taking that class at all.
If you're interested in more liberal learning curriculum, I would suggest looking at the California Institute for Integral Studies, The Evergreen State College, or Brown College.
These are all regionally accredited institutions that will allow you to earn credit for the kind of material you're interested in focusing on.
If you want to focus online, you're probably going to be limited to CEUs where the history of science is concerned. You most definitely won't
be able to do original work.
Good luck.