PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning glassware

Susu
10-14-2011, 07:04 PM
I know this may sound completely silly and primitive but how does everyone go about cleaning their glassware for further experiments? I ask because I constantly think of contamination of my work due to using dish washing soap or that there is a little water spot I can not reach in my glasses and so forth.

theFool
10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
It is not silly question, even professinal chemists have great problem dealing with it. Usually an oxidizer has to be used. I use household bleach. Leave it overnight, it works slowly. Not many things can resist that. One can add some drops of hydrochloric acid (sold to clean marbles) to make the mixture potent (just be careful of the poisonous chlorine fumes, do outdoors).
I don't use this method for cleaning vessels used for tinctures that will be ingested.
About the "little water spot", well, it will rarely cause any problem except you are doing analytical chemistry. But I understand you, I feel the same about my glassware and like to have them perfectly clean, without little spots from evaporated water. The trick is to wash them with distilled or deionized water after you finish main cleaning!

Seth-Ra
10-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I just use HOT water and dawn dishwashing soap - let it set, then pour it out, add more hot water, close it and shake the bloody hell out of it, rinse and repeat. Usually works for most of my stuff, but for some things ive used acids, like coke (cola)... (if itll dissolve a nail... lol ;) ) but a friend of mine gave me some permanganate, so a bit of that in some water oxidizes and kills a good deal of annoying things that wont come out. lol

But generally just HOT water, soap and elbow grease for my stuff. ^.^

~Seth-Ra

Susu
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was just curious because I would like to do some work in a few months with rainwater and didn't want to have anything I didn't want in it. It is hard enough to try to distill without proper distillation equipment.