PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong to profit financially?

Alchemical
11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Is it wrong to profit financially from Alchemy?

I have seen websites where Alchemists sell their tinctures and elixirs, Alchemical consultations and study courses. Is this wrong? Please discuss.

I have read in a couple of books here and there that many Alchemists were against this. One quote I remember in particularly "Do not sell the gifts of God".

Awani
11-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Well when Jesus walked around healing people I don't think he took a fee for it. Ha ha.

Saying that if one is having study courses etc I don't see a problem with charging for it, but caution is required when paying healers/alchemists/shamans because some are genuine and some are only in it for the money.

:cool:

Seth-Ra
11-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Ive made things for people, I tend not to have a "set price", and often give things freely, but usually if they offer to give me something, i ask them, after the healing/benefits/whatever are gotten and they experience it - what its worth to them to pay me as a "thank you".
So, its mostly a thing of their own "conscience" - equivalent exchange to clear their mind, not "owing" me anything. But, as a christian, i also, obviously believe in gifts, so as Dev said, its a fine line and caution is required.

But some people just have to pay. lol

~Seth-Ra

Susu
11-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I have made stuff for coworkers too and I also agree with giving things freely. A lot of them do give some payment, like Seth-Ra, out of returning a favor or clearing one's mind. If I do charge people it isn't out of profit but to keep up with supplies. So if the break down of materials used (bottles, herbs, menstruum, etc) in that particular medicine comes to $3 then I would charge $3. This will allow me to continue helping others down the line. The experience I gain from practicing and making medicine is well worth anything that can be offered, in my opinion.

Frater IA
11-16-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm gonna throw it out there, alot of it will depend on your own beliefs. If you believe that profiting from alchemy is negative, and you do it, you will have guilt reside within you, thus, it is bad. However, I see it differently, I feel that the universe wants you to be successful, it wants you to have financial stability, to live with less stress other than what is necessary, as well, alot of that will depend on what you are doing with the money. If you use the alchemy money on alchemy, or to aid the survival of yourself in terms of paying bills or buying food, then by all means, the only money you take is what you have put into it. My GD temple is talking about doing a full alchemy lab and possibly selling it. The profits of this will come back to help fund the temple. The temple is accredited as a non profit orginization. So who really "profits" from it? I guess in a round about way, I'm trying to say it depends less on the action of selling it, and more on how you feel about the action of selling it. If you feel bad, its bad, if you feel ok, then its ok. ;)

MarkostheGnostic
11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm gonna throw it out there, alot of it will depend on your own beliefs. If you believe that profiting from alchemy is negative, and you do it, you will have guilt reside within you, thus, it is bad. However, I see it differently, I feel that the universe wants you to be successful, it wants you to have financial stability, to live with less stress other than what is necessary, as well, alot of that will depend on what you are doing with the money. If you use the alchemy money on alchemy, or to aid the survival of yourself in terms of paying bills or buying food, then by all means, the only money you take is what you have put into it. My GD temple is talking about doing a full alchemy lab and possibly selling it. The profits of this will come back to help fund the temple. The temple is accredited as a non profit orginization. So who really "profits" from it? I guess in a round about way, I'm trying to say it depends less on the action of selling it, and more on how you feel about the action of selling it. If you feel bad, its bad, if you feel ok, then its ok. ;)

My understanding of alchemy, even plant alchemy, is not only projection of psychic material into the substances (as Jung said), but also the taking back those projections that have influenced the Spagyric elixir. If correspondences truly are some kind of subtle lawfulness, then one really can only make such products for oneself, or for one with whom an Alchemical Marriage is being initiated (one's Soror/Frater Mystica). So, in such a case, selling Spagyrics is not only not efficacious, it seems to violate the original Hippocratic Oath of taking no payment for services, because the iatrogenic model of yesteryear was very different than the allopathic or osteopathic medical models of today. One's physician was an integral part of the healing gestalt. I sensed this even as a boy, when our family physician, who delivered me, my brother, and six of my cousins, would travel almost 20 miles to make a house call, for $5.00!!! By my adulthood, physicians NEVER made house calls, they had way too many patients whom they never really knew like they used to know whole families, and they became greedy technicians and drug suppliers.

On a related note: I have never sold an Entheogen to anyone. I might have purchased (LSD) or grown Psilocybes at my own expense, but this transmission to another should NEVER be lowered to the sale of a commodity, or the supplier to the status of a drug-dealer. Mushrooms are not drugs, they are living fungal fruits (carpophores) with a presence. This does not make sense until one has the experience of having been 'bemushroomed,' when you can 'taste' the fruiting-body everywhere in your own body, and experience the presence suffuse one's entire being. They are to be shared as a gift, with the intention of true giving 'attached' to the fruit.

This is not a matter of good vs. bad, it is a matter of being true to certain lawful principles involved in consciousness, with 'intentionality' being the single invariant feature of consciousness (according to Edmund Husserl). Violate certain principles, profane the sacred, and there will be karmic consequences. Some of those karmic consequences may be spiritual, some psychological, some physical (i.e., legal) - covering the tripartite nature of the One Thing.

Of course, there are unscrupulous people who will commodify anything. In my laboratory, I either resurrected labware from childhood, or synchronicities occurred in which suddenly someone asked me if I could use some organic glassware , thermometers, etc., or I focused on an auction on eBay, and won. In all these things, my intention, conscious or unconscious, was part of the entire gestalt. This whole process MUST proceed from within, creating a sort of morphogenetic field that captures what is needed outwardly for the Great Work (IMHO) :)

Frater IA
11-17-2011, 04:34 PM
As for the mushrooms, that is honestly how I treat them, they are living and conscious beings. I even explained to my wife how the mycellium communicate with each other, with that around them, and that they even can exhibit personalities. (I even talk to them and reiki them, lol). From my practices with spagyrics as well as other magic/spiritual practices involving psychic and other energies, while the practicioner can get the MOST benefit from their product, (by a long shot), other people can have a positive effect from it as well. During GD power week when each temple holds a week to two week long seminar alchemy is offered freely, as well as sold (not for any large amount of profit, just enough to keep their practice going, many of the ingredients are not inexpensive) and tend to work for everyone. I have even partook of a tincture of jupiter from another that had wonderful and astounding effects on me. I suppose, however, there is a difference in that our orders tend to only sell and offer our works in our order, because our oath, our responsibility, as well as our privelage is that the order is a family, we do treat it like a family, and we see each other as brothers and sisters, this is not just pretty words on paper or on the computer screen, this is the inherent truth in it. (while we sometimes do have the rebellious sibling in our family) That being said, we are all practicioners of various magics and sciences, and are all at least in some part alchemists, whether it be by spiritual or laboratory. As far as I've seen, our works are not sold abroad.

solomon levi
11-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes, this is personal, as is all reality. Your choice will determine your reality.
There are a couple matters I would like to additionally comment on.
1. Money is energy, a matter of exchange. It isn't bad. Money is God as much as any manifest thing is.
You can barter or reciprocate anything; anything may or may not have value to you or another.
So there is nothing bad in this.
2. What you desire will determine your reality. Maybe you desire simply to be a vehicle or instrument of
Wisdom. Maybe there is no thing you value more than that, to be of service, to spread the glory of God,
to raise the frequency of the planetary consciousness. Or maybe not. It is important to be real, to be who
you are without judgement. If you try to be some spiritual idea because of your beliefs in right and wrong,
this will harm your growth rather than better it. But that is also a lesson you may have to experience
yourself. Do not take any second hand knowledge as a rule. Life is where you are - you must take the
first step from there, not from someone else's knowledge.
3. Maybe your alchemy is God and maybe it isn't for you. The "secrets of God" IMO don't apply to plant
tinctures or even mineral extracts or ormus - make and sell these if you will.
True alchemy is God. When you get to that level of alchemy and realization, it will be apparent that this IS God,
and you will know you cannot sell God - you will FEEL the absurdity of that idea.
If selling plant tinctures or stones or whatever FEELS that way to you, then listen to that feeling.
:)