PDA

View Full Version : The Rise of the Phoenix

Awani
12-27-2008, 03:54 AM
I thought I'd create this thread where we can log the completion of the new updated forum. I have done the first few drafts, but now we got to get it finished. You've already given some suggestions, but I know there are more things to discuss.

I think a good plan is to first concentrate on the Forums and Sub-Forums, and what their short descriptions should be.

The description has to be as brief as possible yet contain the most possible information. If that is possible?

Also any changes to the names of any forum?

Aleilius
12-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I was thinking we could turn over the new forum tonight to a few of the members and have them look around for these things.

I see a lot of small things, but I'm just being OCD.

Awani
12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
I have invited them all to participate in this thread...

Let us see if we get some ideas or if all is fine as it is!

Illen A. Cluf
01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
While this new forum is being created (I understand that it will take another week), is it possible to keep the old forum going? The shut-down was rather sudden, without warning, and there were still a lot of ongoing communication and unanswered questions. If communcation is being held back for another week or so, the momentum of these disucssions will suffer.

Thanks,
Illen

Awani
01-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Done and done!

http://alchemy-forums.forumotion.com/read-this-f20/

Illen A. Cluf
01-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Done and done!

http://alchemy-forums.forumotion.com/read-this-f20/

Thanks deviadah,

Unfortunately, the topic I was hoping to respond to is locked. I guess I'll wait.

Illen

Awani
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Unfortunately, the topic I was hoping to respond to is locked. I guess I'll wait.It is probably locked because it has been moved to this new forum. You can reply to the topic here if you want.

If the topic has been moved it is ok to start posting in it.

Illen A. Cluf
01-03-2009, 02:19 PM
It is probably locked because it has been moved to this new forum. You can reply to the topic here if you want.

If the topic has been moved it is ok to start posting in it.

Is there any intention of moving the messages over from the thread at the last forum? It's a little difficult to quote from and respond to previous messages if one has to go back and forth.

I'm curious - what are the advantages of this forum over the last forum?

Thanks,
John

Aleilius
01-03-2009, 02:30 PM
While this new forum is being created (I understand that it will take another week), is it possible to keep the old forum going? The shut-down was rather sudden, without warning, and there were still a lot of ongoing communication and unanswered questions. If communcation is being held back for another week or so, the momentum of these disucssions will suffer.
I also thought it was rather abrupt. I was glad deviadah fixed that. I think we should keep all discussions going as normal. However all new threads should be posted on this board. If one of your threads has been moved, then you should post in the new thread. I understand the confusion this will create at first. It's also much hassle, but we are trying to lessen the stress caused by the move as much as possible.

If your thread hasn't been moved, and is still ongoing, then you may continue to post on the old forum until it's moved/locked. Then you'll have to continue the discussion here.

I'm curious - what are the advantages of this forum over the last forum?
There are many advantages this forum has over the old forum. These are mainly operational changes, better administration system, etc. This forum also offers many more features that our old system lacked. Overall, I think the new move will be great if we can get past the strain we're all feeling right now.

Keeps your heads up guys. We'll come out of this much better. I assure you. We would also like to hear your voice on these types of issues. If you have a problem with something, or the way we're doing things, please let us know!

Awani
01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Keeps your heads up guys. We'll come out of this much better. I assure you. We would also like to hear your voice on these types of issues. If you have a problem with something, or the way we're doing things, please let us know!This is very true!

But there are also many other good things:

- much better search feature
- easier to use: posting, PM, editing posts etc
- every member has their own site where they can create their own usergroups, galleries and have private discussions

Also if you want to quote one of the moved threads just copy and paste the section you want to quote and put [ quote=name of user] text [ /quote] around the copied text.

Sorry everyone that it was so sudden, I was thinking of using the Holy Days as a way to move everything - didn't expect so much activity... guess alchemy is popular!

Be patient, within a week it will all be back to normal!

Aleilius
01-03-2009, 02:57 PM
- much better search feature
- easier to use: posting, PM, editing posts etc
- every member has their own site where they can create their own usergroups, galleries and have private discussions

Yes, those are very good upgrades. I'm really excited about the last point you mentioned!

Awani
01-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Have a look at mine for instance (I haven't done anything with it yet): http://forum.alchemyforums.com/member.php?u=1

Just click on your name at the top right of the page!

Illen A. Cluf
01-03-2009, 03:49 PM
If your thread hasn't been moved, and is still ongoing, then you may continue to post on the old forum until it's moved/locked. Then you'll have to continue the discussion here.

I understand the confusion and disruption involved in starting a new forum. Based on previous discussion of the move, it was my impression from the responses that the contents of previous active threads would be moved over to this forum in order to minimize the disruption to the flow of discussion and so that there would be recourse to review what previous posters had said as a contribution to the discussion. The particluar thread that I was hoping to respond to is locked (Dry Distillation of Acetates), although it has not been moved to this new forum. I could certainy re-create a new thread with that name, but unfortunately, the very question I was hoping to respond to had to do with what had been previously discussed in the thread.

If possible, as a suggestion, is it possible to move all postings that have been made, say over the past few weeks, to this forum?

If we just continue the thread without the benefit of the past messages, then any new members wishing to add to the discussions will have no idea what has already been discussed since they will not likely have access to the previous forum.

I'm sure that over time, this will resolve itself, but we will definitely have problems in the short term with the momentum that was built over the past month, unless some "history" is brought back to this forum.

Just my suggestion.

Illen

Illen A. Cluf
01-03-2009, 03:55 PM
The particluar thread that I was hoping to respond to is locked (Dry Distillation of Acetates), although it has not been moved to this new forum.

My apologies. I see that this thread has indeed been moved to this forum, although it is now under a different heading (Metallurgy and Minerology).

Illen

Awani
01-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Don't worry!

No posts or threads will be lost at all!

The headings and sub-forums is not decided on yet... so if you are unsure where something is just use the search feature and you will find it!

Enjoy!