PDA

View Full Version : Underneath ye arches

peethagoras
12-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Here's the top section from Euclid's Elements. It was the publication in which John Dee wrote his foreword. This is found in the frontspiece.

Anyone care to offer their ideas on the symbolism under the arch?

solomon levi
12-13-2011, 06:14 PM
The people, besides death, represent the three stages of life according to the Sphinx's riddle.
You see the names also mentioned here in the second image titled "arbor raritatis":
http://www.alchemylab.com/hieroglyphic_monad.htm

from the bottom upwards: infant, child, adolescent...
after adolescence there appears a choice - Optio - towards the mundane (tyrannos) or the spiritual (pneumatikos).
The left hand path ends in force (vis) while the right (if i am reading correctly) ends in the crown (Stephanos),
the same exalted sphere of Keter on the tree of life.

Anyway, I think the image you provided is showing the three stages - a child, an adult and an old man.

Andro
12-13-2011, 08:39 PM
The left hand path ends in force (vis) while the right (if i am reading correctly) ends in the crown (Stephanos), the same exalted sphere of Kether on the tree of life.

We have 2 (two) hands for a reason, and the reason is not 'choice'. Which hand would one rather have cut off?

solomon levi
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
We have 2 (two) hands for a reason, and the reason is not 'choice'. Which hand would one rather have cut off?

I'll bite. :)
I'd cut off my right hand if I had a left-handed vessel; or my left hand if I had a right-handed vessel.
Is this what you mean?

Andro
12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
I'll bite. :)
I'd cut off my right hand if I had a left-handed vessel; or my left hand if I had a right-handed vessel.
Is this what you mean?

So all there's left for me to do is wait for your package to arrive in the mail, containing the hand you've cut off :)

The proof is in the pudding... or in the cutting...

Have you seen the first 'SAW' movie? A guy cut his foot off to escape the shackles that held him prisoner... He cut the foot that was chained...

Do you really feel the Right/Left Hand Paths are really contradictory (as opposed to complementary)?

Whether you 'chose' one, the other is present as well. It's the "Buy one, get one free" kind of Inevitability...

solomon levi
12-13-2011, 10:20 PM
So all there's left for me to do is wait for your package to arrive in the mail, containing the hand you've cut off :)

The proof is in the pudding... or in the cutting...

Have you seen the first 'SAW' movie? A guy cut his foot off to escape the shackles that held him prisoner... He cut the foot that was chained...

Do you really feel the Right/Left Hand Paths are really contradictory (as opposed to complementary)?

Whether you 'chose' one, the other is present as well. It's the "Buy one, get one free" kind of Inevitability...

Not contradictory. That's why my answer depends on the vessel/magnet i choose to use. Both are equally useful.
Solar or lunar path; wet or dry; right or left. :)

peethagoras
12-15-2011, 07:33 PM
very well put

old man has staff in hand
scytheman has sythe
one man has sytheman's man in his.
But what does little boy hold aloft?

solomon levi
12-15-2011, 10:53 PM
very well put

old man has staff in hand
scytheman has sythe
one man has sytheman's man in his.
But what does little boy hold aloft?

It's an early version of a pinwheel.
After the initial Herculean labors, alchemy is "woman's work and child's play"
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDp3sYBJPrNMFonC4kQOUDgLAUA655R EpxZmwrlLwo0SAmaxI5

This is a symbol of the revolution of elements, as I mentioned in our other dialogue.

peethagoras
12-16-2011, 10:16 PM
thanks again O solomon levi
like the image too. Wherefrom did it wing its silent digits to thou?

cheers