PDA

View Full Version : Hand-Made Alchemical Displays

MarkostheGnostic
12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I have been making small wood, metal, and glass alchemical display objects since the mid 1970s, and giving them away to friends. I gave the theology professor with whom I took a course in The Work of C.G. Jung the retort from my childhood chemistry lab, on a wood frame, similar to the picture here, only that was a Perfect® brand 250 ml retort. This one is 500 ml. Later on, I made up a small volumetric flask in a wood frame that had the same symbol of The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus that is picture on the box, as well as a genuine emerald set into it. Affixed to the frame were two small vials of chemical Sulphur and Mercury, which I gave to my grad school advisor, a Jungian analyst. He and his wife combined the vials during a ritual of his own design.

I wonder if there is any market at all for things like this among Spagyricists and Alchemists. I may be retiring by 2015 (unless the system retires me against my will early), and I want to keep my Sensing Function honed, in addition to laboratory work that I hope to continue with. Does anyone think there would be any interest out there for the dropper-box for elixirs, or the retort and stand (this one has a tiny baby [Homunculus}, and a Peacock feather inside)? Everything is made with proper intention in mind, for those who appreciate subtle-plane influences. I have also built a Qabalistic Tree for our own votive table. It could be colorized.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/1-7.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/2-5.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/3-6.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/4-3.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/5-3.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/6-3.jpg

MarkostheGnostic
12-28-2011, 11:30 PM
A simple Wand. Composed of a piece of Florida Live Oak that I planted on a Good Friday, some 10 years ago, and the branch was cut at sundown on a Friday night in June, as the Sabbath began. The stone is Green Magnetite (Green and Brown are my primary & secondary Astral Colors according to Ray Buckland). Beneath the metallic band, the Latin word "Fiat" ('Let There Be'), and the alchemical triangle designating the element Fire, are wood-burned. The Hematite is encircled with a band of Silver & Tin (Moon & Jupiter), melted with a hot Iron on a December Tuesday (2 days past Christmas) during the hours of Mars. Two small Hexagrams of Solomon were carved out, and inlaid with metallic red sealing wax that I have used to seal numerous communications (spirit of Mercury), which flank the Tetragrammaton, carved out and filled with Gold enamel. Not shown, at the opposite end, is a Pentagram, carved out, then wood-burned. Not consciously planned, the Wand ended up taking a phallic form, but this is appropriate because the Wand is an active, masculine symbol, whose element Fire corresponds to the Divine Creative Fire of Aziluth, at the top of the Qabalistic Tree. Divine Fire was first to create the universe, and is symbolized in Genesis 1:3 thusly: "And God said, 'Let There Be Light,' [Fiat Lux] and there was Light."

The Silver corresponds to Yesod, the Qabalistic sphere of magick, and to the Moon, is a passive, feminine planet. The Tin included in the Silver solder was unavoidable, but corresponds with Jupiter, the planet of expansion, sexuality, and the Svadhisthana chakra, is an active, masculine influence. The Hematite is a magnetic form of Iron, and a magnetic field surrounds the stone. It attracts Iron, the metal of Mars, which is an active, masculine planet.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/1b.jpg

MarkostheGnostic
12-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Only 49 states left (as far as I know)! :)

http://i40.tinypic.com/r2n7di.jpg

Salazius
01-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey Markos,

Very nice tools :) You made a good job.

For your SDAemeth, you could melt some beeswax and engrave the SDA pattern on it for example.
Beeswax is a very good fluidic condensator.

I like very much your winged virgin, very nice !

And the retort stand is cool too !

If every ou can, try to forge a steel bar, and make yourself your athame and sword.

MarkostheGnostic
01-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the input Salazius! :)
I saw Dee's wax Pantacles at the British Museum. Very painstaking, labor-intensive work.
When I was in 9th grade, I was in metal shop for the whole year. In 8th grade, it was on a wheel with art and music. I did have some experience with a smelting furnace and 1/2" square-stock steel. Forging steel out of iron and carbon is foundry work, not really possible with conventional equipment. Steel melts at about 5000° F.. I can melt steel with Thermite or Thermate, but not contain and shape it. But the best I could muster now, might be to buy some flat-stock at The Home Depot, and use a grinding wheel to shape a point and edge. I'd like to make a Wiccan-style ceremonial sword, modeled after Crowley's Sword of Reason, with a hilt of two small solar spheres wedged between two back-to-back lunar crescents. Or, perhaps, a flat version, of some easily melted metal poured into a plaster mold formed of a wooden form.

http://i44.tinypic.com/971jeg.jpg

The winged statue with red wings and face is Sophia, the Syzygy or Spouse of Christ in some Gnostic myth.

I am (hard as it is to get my mind around) 3 years from possible retirement, unless I get retired against my will first. Instead of building, say, birdhouses to sell at flea markets or some such place, I'm contemplating making up kits for the novice experimenter in occult symbolism or ritual, and selling them to occult/goddess shops, Renaissance fair vendors, or even on-line. It's more for exercising my Sensing function, and integrating Thinking, Feeling, and Intuition into it. Each of these Jungian functions correspond with each suit of the Tarot and with these tools. It's not really about making any money off of this endeavor. Anyone can walk into a Bible bookstore and purchase chalices, pattens, robes, candles, etc. for Christian ritual work. I realize that in 'The Craft,' and among Golden Dawn adherents, making one's own tools is stressed, but this would be for the newbie, and those who are't motivated to work with their hands yet.

Salazius
01-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi,

Of course don't forge it out of nothing. With an iron bar, and a grinder you can make a nice blade.

Now, yes, making yourself your tools is more than necessary. Selling them is okay too, business is business.

Avoid any chemical products, industrial paintings, and things like that, only natural pigments and ingredients. GD's style is very nice, but for bearing a strong charge on the long run, don't count on it. Same thing for talismans.

It's of course great to respect the cycle in order to make a tool, but if one is a good magician, one can avoid astral conjunctions, so called (invented) planetary hours, etc, by working under the proper atmosphere created by himself.

All tools if possible should be imbibed with fluidic condensator of the proper nature with if possible, some drops of gold tincture, gold atoms, or sperm, blood.

MarkostheGnostic
01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
It seems to me that producing the forms, especially for sale, would remain uncharged, like unconsecrated hosts sold at a Bible bookstore. Each individual Operator should charge the objects with his/her own astral/physical effluviums.

MarkostheGnostic
01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
The Modest Magus® - Silver-plate Cup, 3.5" Pentacle Pantacle of John Dee's Sigillum Dei Aemaeth, Black-handled Athame (for Sword). Box to contain four main magickal tools to follow.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/1c.jpg

annabelle_lee
02-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I for one would be interested in purchasing these works of art. They're beautiful, look to be well made and take a level of talent that I don't possess.

Awani
02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes indeed, it all looks very cool!

Re-sized the images, they were a bit big for the forums. Also moved this thread to Equipment (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Equipment).

:cool:

MarkostheGnostic
02-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Thanks annabelle_lee! May I ask what you find most interesting?

MarkostheGnostic
02-05-2012, 05:30 AM
*Thumbs up* The size of the pics rather surprised me.

annabelle_lee
03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
@Markos I really like the level of... old world charm that exists in your creations. They're beautiful. Have just enough alchemical symbols that they aren't overpowering, but still radiate... something. *shrug* I just really like them. I adore the tincture case, and if anything that would be the one I purchased. Have you thought about creating an Etsy account for this type of work?

MarkostheGnostic
03-04-2012, 10:28 PM
@Markos I really like the level of... old world charm that exists in your creations. They're beautiful. Have just enough alchemical symbols that they aren't overpowering, but still radiate... something. *shrug* I just really like them. I adore the tincture case, and if anything that would be the one I purchased. Have you thought about creating an Etsy account for this type of work?

Thanks for the feedback annabelle_lee. I'm using spare parts from my workshop like hinges and clasps that used to be part of a mushroom grow-box. The brass tacks are brass thumb tacks, covered with a dab of clear nail polish. Scrap wood, and a few pics printed on my computer. An art therapist friend gave me some green felt which I'll perhaps place at the bottom under the bottles, or perhaps on the inner cover. I hope to get better with my wood-working with practice (I made a lot of mistakes). Probably not much of a market for such things, but I've been putting together little glass and wood alchemical displays, sometimes with a real emerald affixed (Gem Collectors®), or Sulphur and Mercury in vials, since the late 70s, for gifts to former professors or interested classmates. I have lots of vacation time, working in a school system. I put this box together over Christmas break. Another 9 days coming this Friday, but my best friend's sister died so I have to drive a couple hundred miles up there this weekend. Probably work on some wood over the summer, and I'll keep you in mind! ;) Meanwhile, I have to stop getting side-tracked and actually do some more lab work.

I purchased a book after corresponding with the author, about how to use astrology to determine when the best times are for proceeding with different stages. Twice last summer, my Fermentation of grape juice utterly failed :( Not even vinegar resulted. The problem is that it is a very thin book, and it assumes the reader has a basis in astrology. I will go back to Junius and Stavich again, since they focus more on days, hours, and lunar phases, which are apparently more important than planetary and sidereal influences on Spagyrics (vs. mineral alchemy).

annabelle_lee
03-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Astrology and kabbalah are two of the trickier aspects of the Hermetic trio for me to get into. Junius and Stavish have some good stuff. Alas, my Stavish book is on my Kindle which broke, and my Junius book is in a box in another box in a completely different place in Afghanistan.

Do keep me in mind! If I was interested in commissioning work from you could I PM you with details, etc?

MarkostheGnostic
03-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Astrology and kabbalah are two of the trickier aspects of the Hermetic trio for me to get into. Junius and Stavish have some good stuff. Alas, my Stavish book is on my Kindle which broke, and my Junius book is in a box in another box in a completely different place in Afghanistan.

Do keep me in mind! If I was interested in commissioning work from you could I PM you with details, etc?

I'm flattered. Really. As I said, I'm going to build more projects. Tell me this - do you prefer amber or cobalt blue glass dropper bottles? White rubber bulb or black? If I make up another box up this summer (and keeping you in mind), I'd have to order another set of seven. I used 2 oz. bottles, but they come 1 oz. or 4 oz. too. Just curious. ;)

BTW, PLEASE buy this book. You'll thank me, and it will be a KEY to any other book on [Jewish] Kabbalah or [Christian] Cabala you choose to read after. This book is a gem:
http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Qabalah-Will-Parfitt/dp/0760710791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331085737&sr=8-1

annabelle_lee
03-07-2012, 10:01 AM
I like the traditional look of the amber glass bottles, black bulb of course! I can't foresee making any more than 4 oz of something, especially if I choose an herb that doesn't yield much.

Ooh, book suggestion! I will add that to my Amazon cart and get back to you once I read it. I'm a big fan of hitting up the big three for Hermeticism, and I can't help but feel that if one neglects Kabbalah and astrology that they're missing out on a part of alchemy as well. Just wish the other two parts were as interesting!

MarkostheGnostic
03-07-2012, 03:39 PM
I like the traditional look of the amber glass bottles, black bulb of course! I can't foresee making any more than 4 oz of something, especially if I choose an herb that doesn't yield much.

Ooh, book suggestion! I will add that to my Amazon cart and get back to you once I read it. I'm a big fan of hitting up the big three for Hermeticism, and I can't help but feel that if one neglects Kabbalah and astrology that they're missing out on a part of alchemy as well. Just wish the other two parts were as interesting!

Astrology helps determine the warp & woof of local space-time - the contours of the fabric of space-time that has a determining factor on one's psychophysical characteristics. That is why my horoscope which was erroneously made up on Daylight Savings Time did not describe me at all. BUT, when DST was eliminated, and 6:55 was made 5:55 am, the chart was uncannily reflective of my personality. When you 'bith' your Elixir, your spiritual 'Homunculus,' which embodies your own projected psychic contents, the stellar, planetary, and lunar influences are significant. With Spagyrics (according to Tim Wilkerson, whose book I recently bought) the Day, Hour, and lunar phase is more important than Sidereal (star) influences, whereas those influences are ore important for mineral alchemy. Admittedly, astrology is very complicated, and I am happy to be focusing on plant alchemy at this time.

Qabalah is VERY interesting, especially if you see how Will Parfitt illustrates the correspondence of the Tree with the 7 Chakra system:
Malkuth - Muladhara
Yesod - Svadhisthana
Hod & Netzach - Manipura
Geburah [Din]-Tiphereth [Rahamim] - Gedulah [Chesed] - Anahata
Da'ath - Visshudha
Chokma & Binah - Ajna
Kether - Sahasrara

Moreover, Yesod-Hod-Netzach form The Astral Triangle, Geburah-Tiphereth-Chesed form The Ethical Triangle, and Kether-Chokma-Binah form The Supernal Triangle. Then, there are the 22 pathways, corresponding to the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet and 22 cards of the Tarot's Major Arcana.

This is a multidimensional map of universal processes that each of us learns to place as a template over our individualized life-experinences. I am describing my own path in a book I've been working on. Like when I left the scientific materialistic world view of the senses and reason (Malkuth), when the path took me to Yesod and magick; when occultism lead me to Hod and philosophy, but philosophies colored by occultism, the unconscious, dreams and sex from Yesod. My first sexual, then sexual-emotional experiences that took me to Nezach, and my breakthrough to Tiphereth with psychedelics, BE HERE NOW, the Hridayam, synchronicities/miracles, which in turn put me on a path to Chesed, and baptism and seminary, etc., etc., etc..

The Tree and the Chakras both speak to a serpentine, circuitous movement upward, and a lightning strike downward from On-High. We ARE the consciousness, and the pathways, and the chakra-sephira that we project into alchemical elixirs and stones. We are a Micrososm of the Macrocosm. We are G-d coming to self-awareness on various levels of identity, from the densest material self, through our social selves, emotional selves, intellectual, subtle, causal and non-dual non-self. And as we climb higher, the influence of the planetary spirits have less and less determining influences on our increasingly rarified identities. We become free of the Gnostic Archons, the planetary spirits, the Egyptian demons named in the Book of Coming Forth by Day. We move from determinism to existential freedom.

Back to work...

Andro
03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Markos, this was simply beautiful!

(I just had to say it.)

Thank you for sharing this.

This is a multidimensional map of universal processes that each of us learns to place as a template over our individualized life-experinences. I am describing my own path in a book I've been working on. Like when I left the scientific materialistic world view of the senses and reason (Malkuth), when the path took me to Yesod and magick; when occultism lead me to Hod and philosophy, but philosophies colored by occultism, the unconscious, dreams and sex from Yesod. My first sexual, then sexual-emotional experiences that took me to Nezach, and my breakthrough to Tiphereth with psychedelics, BE HERE NOW, the Hridayam, synchronicities/miracles, which in turn put me on a path to Chesed, and baptism and seminary, etc., etc., etc..

The Tree and the Chakras both speak to a serpentine, circuitous movement upward, and a lightning strike downward from On-High. We ARE the consciousness, and the pathways, and the chakra-sephira that we project into alchemical elixirs and stones. We are a Micrososm of the Macrocosm. We are G-d coming to self-awareness on various levels of identity, from the densest material self, through our social selves, emotional selves, intellectual, subtle, causal and non-dual non-self. And as we climb higher, the influence of the planetary spirits have less and less determining influences on our increasingly rarified identities. We become free of the Gnostic Archons, the planetary spirits, the Egyptian demons named in the Book of Coming Forth by Day. We move from determinism to existential freedom.

MarkostheGnostic
03-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Why, thank you Androgynus! I have complete inner certainty that my bosses would not have appreciated either my words, or my time away from what I was supposed to be doing. :)

annabelle_lee
03-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Markos, just tell your bosses that the Great Work takes precedence over real work. *chuckle*

09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Did you make the glass retort???

Axismundi000
09-12-2012, 04:21 AM
I love the sigilum, incredible work! is it for the cedarwood table work or as an elemental pentacle?

When I was in Egypt I got a cedarwood table made to the correct dimensions for heptarchia mysteria, I used the Geoffrey James book as my main sourcework. It cost me 1050 egyptian pounds including delivery for the table (approx £105 GBP). I was unable to ship it back to UK which was extremely upsetting.

Your gear is brilliant.

Ezalor
09-15-2012, 07:30 PM
I didn't read most of the thread yet, but there are some very nice works on this pictures! I also love to hand make things, and generally love anything hand made more than anything machine made.

I also collect nice items. For example, I have quite a few daggers and knives.

P.s.: Why is that whenever I try to attack an image, it simply fails without giving me any useful info about the reason? The uploaded file just has a red exclam. mark icon next to it.

Andro
09-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Why is that whenever I try to attack an image, it simply fails without giving me any useful info about the reason? The uploaded file just has a red exclam. mark icon next to it.

The Attachment function is not operational (vBulletin platform issues). Please use the other options (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2933-Posting-Images-Videos).

MarkostheGnostic
09-16-2012, 07:06 AM
No. I bought several, many years ago, for very little money as I recall, something like $13 USD. Just made the stand.

MarkostheGnostic
09-16-2012, 07:12 AM
:) Too much credit to me! The Dee sigil was downloaded, printed, cut out, glued down, and polyurethaned. I was considering making 'tool boxes' for would-be magicians, and I was exercising my Sensing function in conjunction with my Thinking function. The wand was more of an Intuitive function exercise, with Thinking and Sensing, using Names, metals, and Magnetite to produce a field-effect in the æther.