PDA

View Full Version : Elias Ashmole

Ghislain
01-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Hi All

Has anyone a larger clearer copy of the pic below by Elias Ashmole?

The heading reads:

"Here followeth The Figure conteyning all the fecrets of the Treatife both great & small"

http://www.spiritalchemy.com/img/srandom/ashmole_inserted_2_sm.jpg

Thanks

Ghislain

solomon levi
01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I think I do, in a book.
I'll check and get back to you if no one else beats me to it.
It could be a couple or few days.

Ghislain
01-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks Sol'

Ghislain

solomon levi
01-10-2012, 12:16 AM
You're welcome G. :)
I think it is in this book, if anyone else has it.
Like I said, I won't be home for a couple days.

http://cb.pbsstatic.com/l/43/4043/9780893144043.jpg

What is the Elias Ashmole reference?

Maybe it's in Secret Teachings of All Ages too.

Illen A. Cluf
01-10-2012, 12:24 AM
You're welcome G. :)
I think it is in this book, if anyone else has it.
Like I said, I won't be home for a couple days.

What is the Elias Ashmole reference?

Maybe it's in Secret Teachings of All Ages too.

No, it's in Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum. It's a folding page. Often referred to as "Ripley's Wheel". See:

http://theatrumchemicumbritannicum.wordpress.com/alchemical-art/gfe3/

Illen

solomon levi
01-10-2012, 01:17 AM
http://www.reocities.com/smshires.geo/ripley.gif

Thanks Illen.
It's also reproduced in other books though.
I'm pretty sure it's in DOMA

Chenkel
01-10-2012, 02:07 AM
Yup... Ripley's wheel... published with the 12 gates....

I'm looking at a copy of McLean's "The Alchemical Mandala" that has a short chapter on it. No scanner here but I can type out the commentary for you, if no one has it online and you're interested.

solomon levi
01-10-2012, 02:37 AM
:)
I have that one too. No scanner either.

Ghislain
01-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your work in finding this.

Unfortunately I cannot remember what thread led me to this picture :(

I am sure I will find some interesting stuff in it though.

Chenkel I would be most grateful if you could post that commentary if it is not too much trouble.

I was confused as to why the picture in post #01 has gone...checking this out I found a weird comment.

Check it out Here (http://www.spiritalchemy.com/img/srandom/ashmole_inserted_2_sm.jpg)

Thanks

Ghislain

Chenkel
01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Sure. I'm on it. I'll copy it here in the next day or two.

Chenkel
01-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Here ya go.... Apologies for any typos.... I think the tabs are all messed up.
Alchemical Mandela: a survey of the mandala in western and esoteric traditions
by Adam McLean.
Mandela eight

This Mandala, George Ripley's wheel, is normally included in the various editions of his of chemical classic, The Twelve Gates, and differs from previous mandalas in this series in that it consists entirely of words without symbols. It thus conveys its meaning directly through the geometrical arrangement of ideas.
This Mandala basically synthesizes the fourfold division of the world into one. That is, it leads from quadrangular perception of the world structure to a circular one. At the center we find the Central Stone uniting the four elements, and around this the first circle proclaims:

When thou hast made the quadrangle round,
Then is all the secret found.

Having recognized the basic structure of this mandala, we note the four outer circles relating to the four elements with their usual correspondences:

Fire earth water air
Hot and dry cold and dry cold and moist hot and moist
Summer autumn winter spring
South west north east

We also find four descriptive qualities which are of great interest:
Attractive retentive expulsive digestive

These four outer circles exist as independent realms, and the become unified by being incorporated into the main body of the mandala through a series of concentric circles. They descend to the inner unity of the Central Stone, described above. In the first ring inward from four outer elements, we find them incorporated again as four globes fixing the outer dimensions of the Stone. The text lying within the next inner circle relate to these globes.

The first side of the Stone is in the West, and indicates the entry into the PRACTICE of the Work of the Stone. The text reads

Here the red man to his white wife
Be spoused with the spirit of life

In the next stage,

Here to purgatory they must go
There to be purged by pain and woe

The globe in the North, the lower dimension of the Stone under which lies the abyss, indicates the role of purification, The Sphere of Purgatory, in the work. (Purification here relates both to the outer substance of physical work and the inner realm of the soul.)

In the following stage, in the East directly opposite the first globe, we find the entry into the SPECULATIVE part of the work after the purification:

Here they have passed their pains all
And [are] made resplendent as is crystal

The Practice of the Stone encompasses the outer workings which deal directly with substance in experiments. The Speculative (seeing) aspect of the Stone encompasses the inner experiences that arise in the soul through this outer work.

The uppermost globe, which represents the heights of the Stone, is introduced by the verse

Here to paradise they go to won
Brighter made then is the Sun

This indicates the end of the practice of the Stone, which is thus shining more than the quintessence.
Between these four stages of the globes, four seven-line verses parallel the alchemical work with the four spiritual transition stages in the life of Christ: the Incarnation, or Descension; the Passion; the Resurrection; and the Ascension.

There follows a series of four spheres, related to the Sun, Moon, Venus and Mercury, which correspond to different facets of the tinctures:

I. The Sphere of the Sun relates the best Stone, which is ripened by the sun, is close in nature to the fire, and sustains the fire of the other stones. Gold, the Sun metal, is the greatest among metals, and neither fire nor water corrupts it.

III. The Lunar Sphere represents the white tincture of flashing splendor, the mother giving birth to the stones in her womb. This tincture promotes solution as the Sun brings congelation, since she contains in herself all the virtues of softening and also tinges all metals.

VIII. The Sphere of Venus, marked VIII, which stands between the tinctures of the Sun and Moon, is called the Green Lion.

XII. The mercury sphere, XII, in the highest degree the golden spirit, does not differ from gold, except that gold is fixed, whereas this unfixed and manifests coldness and moistness, and its fire is hidden.
The next sphere inward indicates the principal colors of the work: Pale, black, white and red.
Then we have the sphere of the first and second qualities,

Earth being as air
Water being as fire
Air being as earth
Fire being as water
from which is born the Fifth Essence (the engraver here seems to have made a slip at this point and repeats the two final terms of the series.)

Thus we arrive at the central resolution of this mandala, with its uniting of the fourfold into the one Central Stone.

Ghislain
01-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks Chenkel

I didn't realise how much you had to write.

It is much appreciated.

Ghislain