PDA

View Full Version : self-restraint

solomon levi
01-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Isn't it interesting that to get along in this society we have to
impose upon ourselves certain self-restraints?
I'm very aware of the agreements we make in relationships, but this time
the words "self-restraint" really impressed me. I mean restraints as in handcuffs,
shackles, etc. So self-restraints are shackles we willingly wear - shackles we place
upon ourselves! Bizarre.
We have become our own jailers just to fit in to the system.

I think someone mentioned this quote by Nelson Mandela before.
It seems appropriate. Maybe with all the occupy movements going on,
we can find a way to set ourselves free of these restraints.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

I bring this up because of how much it personally affects me of late.
The more I align with unity the less human I seem to myself and the less
I relate to this world. It's getting uncomfortable for me - the self-restraint.
But I'm also trying to respect others and allow them their process. That's why
I generally restrain myself from saying what I see and what i know. The bigger
picture is a destructive force to the smaller. I'm really afraid to interact on a personal
level with anyone but a couple close friends and family, because i know full well how
destructive my views can be - I employed them to destroy/deconstruct myself.

Anyway, maybe the world is growing ready for some Shiva energy, for dispelling
illusions. Maybe there will be a place for someone like me. Otherwise, I am totally
sympathetic to hermits and wizards and witches who found it best to live alone in a
forest, removed from those who cherish their slumber.

And i don't mean to sound hierarchical. i haven't found THE truth or anything. i know
mine is just another description among millions. But my description, if unrestrained,
would most likely lead me to a padded cell. Society is not as allowing as i am of it. :)
Someday, perhaps there will be enough people who consider society to be insane.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTGT-Um1VG8JWanJUnB4hNDeBfTD52G_tAMDs2RsuceO81qKta

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5O247aO-edTQCnROx01Kg1P9U3McrgffIRA6OFy-19Yw8Kpmn

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUByszTT-KYV-HAp3N6eWFbYDC3dUvcJEyn1Xw9aDViFhG7fBw

Andro
01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Sol, Dear Friend and Brother,

I can relate to everything you have written above.

My life is not unlike yours in the areas you have addressed, except that I was (maybe?) lucky enough to have a (very) few close friends with whom I share my life, work and home.

Maybe there will be a place for someone like me.

I'm sure there already are a few 'places' right now for someone like you.

The 'journey' IS a lonely one, but this doesn't necessary mean you have to make it alone.

Maybe we should talk more often...
------------------------------------------------------

solomon levi
01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks Androgynus. I would like that. :)
I stopped paying my rediculous phone bill.
But I'll get in touch when I can. :)

Andro
01-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I stopped paying my ridiculous phone bill.

Well, my self-restraint in the non-cyber world is gradually going bye-bye as well...

I stopped paying the local municipality taxes almost a year ago, and when they finally came and put a warning on the door, saying that they're going to break down our door and confiscate stuff - I had to go to their offices and allow some reflective magic to get them off my back. I can't go into details, but I'm sure it gave them a little 'voodoo' scare, so I don't think they'll be bothering us again any time soon... I was reluctant and hesitant to use these abilities for a long time, but when they tried to daylight-rob me 'in the name of the law', I knew it was time to put to my abilities to use, in Self Defense. Enough is FUCKING enough ! ! !

But I'll get in touch when I can. :)

Looking forward!

:)

solomon levi
01-22-2012, 12:31 AM
I want to talk about the objective world. I could start another thread, but it seems
related somewhat to this one. It is our personal and subjective self-restraints that make us unique
and individual.

Anyway, doesn't it bother any of you, the subjectivity of it all.
You know, I write this post or any other post and everyone will give a different
response. Doesn't this bother anyone? Do you not see the correlation between
subjectivity and illusion and therefore lack of any objective meaning, definition, purpose, stability...?

Perhaps if we believe there is no alternative, this would be more acceptable.
But I have learned to see from Castaneda and learned to be without images from Krishnamurti
and learned of one consistent objective 'I' from Gurdjieff... it is real - one can experience an objective reality.
Two can experience it if they can both shed themselves of knowledge/past/mind.

Sometimes this subjectivity really disturbs me. I hate that I can talk to a loved one
and rarely ever be heard. What's the point? I'm just talking to myself, for myself.
Does it bother anyone else that we are always being mistranslated by other people's knowledge/experience/association?

Or do we recogognise the immense effort that such an awareness/attention requires... are we so selfish as to
not care to truly meet? Or are we so separate as to be unaware of the possibility? If we take an honest look,
are we engaged in anything else than seeking this reflection? When did this reflection become other rather
than same? (other = subjectivity variety, same = objective unity) When we became full of knowledge.

This brings me to tears. All we want is to connect, and we prevent ourselves with ourselves.

Andro
01-22-2012, 12:47 AM
I feel the extreme 'babylonization' of these times is a sort of Aquarian 'Rite of Passage' (Aquarius = Individuality, which can go to extremes of subjectivity). This is not a 'bad' thing, it is what it is...

There is a critical mass component to this function as well, and it cannot be reached as long as language is still being used for communication while at the same time it's rapidly losing its relevance and ability to facilitate communication.

We WILL move beyond words/language, and telepathic mind/soul connections will render subjective misunderstandings a thing of the 'past'.

But for now... this seems to be the sign of the times... It will pass... Meanwhile we can just try to do our best within the current limitations of the written/spoken word.

This is the how I see it.

solomon levi
01-22-2012, 01:04 AM
I don't see words as a problem. If people were sincere about connecting,
they can agree on words, they can agree to listen and assume someone's definition
for the experience of meeting. If i want, I can give up myself, my words, my definitions,
and listen to you and follow you anywhere. If I want. But people are so identified with
their knowledge/experience that most don't consider this, or they fear giving up themselves
and allowing someone else to lead the dance.
Don't others consider this?

solomon levi
01-25-2012, 01:03 AM
I couldn't decide where to put this. Here is as good a place as any I guess.

"Sometimes I go about in pity for myself, and all the while a great wind is
bearing me across the sky." - anonymous Anishinaabe

Awani
02-13-2012, 04:43 AM
I have a theory that the growing BDSM culture is a reaction to the invisible slavery in society. A sort of Freudian side-effect perhaps?

I have no facts that BDSM was not practiced 100 or 500 years ago... I just figured it is a modern thing. I am sure people got tied up and fucked back in the day as well, but in the same way/degree?

Thoughts?

.................................................. ...

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Gandhi (but disputed, true nonetheless)

I think STEALTH is very important. I mean if I stop paying tax where I am I have to move into the woods (and then hoping no one will find me), or they will put me in chains. So even though I also would like to refuse, I can't. And even if I did I would only hurt myself. So there must be another way... a sneakier path to walk. All countries have different rules so I can't give any advice or any specifics... but I think it is better to let them THINK you are going along with the scheme rather than bumping your head at THEIR walls.

Keep your enemies close, infiltrate... throw stones inside the glass house!

I could be wrong, but it is the method I am using at the moment, and it is working to my benefit. There are of course pro/con with all action plans, but as long as integrity is not sold I think any plan is good enough.

We all know it is a game. A ride, as Bill Hicks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Hicks) put it, and I find this outlook liberating. For every day that passes I take the game less and less seriously. Let them continue their silly business. My anger, my annoyance - all that shit - is giving IT its power. Let it lie. Let it be ignored. It is not worth our time. Let others know this is how you feel. Laugh at cops, laughing is not aggression. Wipe your ass with letters that need to be filled out and returned to the government. Let them hold on to your shit. Play THEIR game at them. Don't call an authority presenting yourself, present yourself as the lawyer of yourself. If weak act strong. And so on and so forth!

It is fear they use as their strongest weapon, but there is nothing they can do really. Not even death. Death is freedom. They are bound to loose (pun). The UN declared slavery forbidden, that no human should ever be put in bondage, yet all countries have laws and regulations that bind us... Whenever you talk to anyone in society (government/bureaucrat etc) about your free will, and they oppose it with a 100 different reasons just quote the UN declaration. If they continue to argue keep saying it. Finally they will budge and admit that it is slavery and fascism. When they do you win! It is a great feeling... it makes things easier when the enslaving party eventually resorts to honesty. And funny!

The quote you should always use and memorize:
http://www.deviadah.com/pictures/article%204.jpg

:cool:

Awani
02-13-2012, 05:17 AM
In short: NO RESTRAINT

But use constraint when you show no restraint i.e. STEALTH!

Nibiru
02-13-2012, 05:54 AM
I think STEALTH is very important. I mean if I stop paying tax where I am I have to move into the woods (and then hoping no one will find me), or they will put me in chains. So even though I also would like to refuse, I can't. And even if I did I would only hurt myself. So there must be another way... a sneakier path to walk. All countries have different rules so I can't give any advice or any specifics... but I think it is better to let them THINK you are going along with the scheme rather than bumping your head at THEIR walls.

Keep your enemies close, infiltrate... throw stones inside the glass house!

I could be wrong, but it is the method I am using at the moment, and it is working to my benefit. There are of course pro/con with all action plans, but as long as integrity is not sold I think any plan is good enough.

We all know it is a game. A ride, as Bill Hicks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Hicks) put it, and I find this outlook liberating. For every day that passes I take the game less and less seriously. Let them continue their silly business. My anger, my annoyance - all that shit - is giving IT its power. Let it lie. Let it be ignored. It is not worth our time. Let others know this is how you feel. Laugh at cops, laughing is not aggression. Wipe your ass with letters that need to be filled out and returned to the government. Let them hold on to your shit. Play THEIR game at them. Don't call an authority presenting yourself, present yourself as the lawyer of yourself. If weak act strong. And so on and so forth!

It is fear they use as their strongest weapon, but there is nothing they can do really. Not even death. Death is freedom. They are bound to loose (pun). The UN declared slavery forbidden, that no human should ever be put in bondage, yet all countries have laws and regulations that bind us... Whenever you talk to anyone in society (government/bureaucrat etc) about your free will, and they oppose it with a 100 different reasons just quote the UN declaration. If they continue to argue keep saying it. Finally they will budge and admit that it is slavery and fascism. When they do you win! It is a great feeling... it makes things easier when the enslaving party eventually resorts to honesty. And funny!

Wow Dev, very well said!!
Viva la Revolution!!!! (spoken in a loud whisper of course :) )

Here's a quote from the end an 80's punk song called "Big A, Little A" by Crass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKilfFa-0wY&feature=related

.....big brothers system's always there with his beady eyes on you
From God to local bobby, in home and street and school
They've got your name and number while you've just got their rule
We've got to look for methods to undermine those powers
It's time to change the tables. The future must be ours

Big A, little A, bouncing B
The system might have got you but it won't get me

Be exactly who you want to be, do what you want to do
I am he and she is she but you're the only you
No one else has got your eyes to see the things you see
It's up to you to change your life and my life's up to me
The problems that you suffer from are problems that you make
The shit we have to climb through is the shit we choose to take
If you don't like the life you live, change it now it's yours
Nothing has effects if you don't recognize the cause
If the programme's not the one you want, get up, turn off the set
It's only you that can decide what life you're gonna get
If you don't like religion you can be the antichrist
If your tired of politics you can be an anarchist
But no one ever changed the church by pulling down a steeple
And you'll never change the system by bombing number ten
Systems just aren't made of bricks they're mostly made of people
You may send them into hiding, but they'll be back again
If you don't like the rules they make, refuse to play their game
If you don't want to be a number, don't give them your name
If you don't want to be called out, refuse to hear their question
Silence is a virtue, use it for your own protection
They'll try to make you play their game, refuse to show your face
If you don't want to be beaten down, refuse to join their race
Be exactly who you want to be, do what you want to do
I am he and she is she but you're they only you

theFool
02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
If you need the society in order to obtain food or you generally benefit somehow from it, then you have to follow the rules also. If you are using money, then it is ok to pay the taxes.
If you want a revolution, then learn first how to be self-sufficient. Hopefully, through the Art, you will reach a level where you will just ignore the "society system".

Awani
02-13-2012, 06:00 PM
If you need the society in order to obtain food or you generally benefit somehow from it, then you have to follow the rules also. If you are using money, then it is ok to pay the taxes. If you want a revolution, then learn first how to be self-sufficient. Hopefully, through the Art, you will reach a level where you will just ignore the "society system".

Although at first glance this might work, unfortunately it does not. It is not possible (at least not in any country I have lived in) to be outside society. Even if you own the land and anything you make from it the government still only "lends" you the right to that land, and in some cases STILL impose taxes on things you already own. Some countries more so than others naturally.

What rules do I have to follow? What makes the majority reasonable? Democracy is a scam, often used together with freedom... but neither has anything to do with the other. I agree that to be self-sufficient is one of the best paths forward, but I also give a warning that governments have all over the world cracked down on such individuals, groups and societies time and time again. It is their way or the highway, have so been for a long time!

Wow Dev, very well said!!

Thanks.

Andro
02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
That's why I am saying that the last thing we need is to 'change the system'...

It takes a change of perception to 'change' reality.

Robert Monroe wrote: "Reality is what we perceive"...

Like the saying goes:

"If you can't change the world - change yourself.
And if you can't change yourself - change the world."

(i.e. move elsewhere, like to another world :) :) :))

annabelle_lee
02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
@Deviadah As a practioner of BDSM and one who has a fair bit of knowledge about its history I can say with certainty that relationships of a kink/BDSM nature have been around for quite some time. I can point to Leopold von Sach Masoc who wrote Venus in Furs or the Marquis de Saade. Or those folks who wrote "The Story of O". BDSM is not related in my personal opinion to an invisible slavery in society. It has been around for quite some time, and in the last decade or so the sub-culture has blossomed beautifully.

Awani
02-14-2012, 02:37 PM
@Deviadah As a practioner of BDSM and one who has a fair bit of knowledge about its history I can say with certainty that relationships of a kink/BDSM nature have been around for quite some time. I can point to Leopold von Sach Masoc who wrote Venus in Furs or the Marquis de Saade. Or those folks who wrote "The Story of O". BDSM is not related in my personal opinion to an invisible slavery in society. It has been around for quite some time, and in the last decade or so the sub-culture has blossomed beautifully.

Thanks for that. I am aware of de Sade... but I was thinking further back. I mean has it been around 1000 years ago, 2000 years ago? Do we know?

Regarding the blossoming in the last decade you don't think is a result of the blossoming of the awareness of the enslaved state we find ourselves in? It does not imply that those in the BDSM culture are more enslaved, just that they are acting out (exorcising) what is already in place and getting pleasure from it on some subconscious level. Just personal theory, I have no facts behind it. :)

annabelle_lee
02-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Alchemy, BDSM, non-monogamy and GLBT are some the few things that I'm really passionate about so I was glad I could pull one of my loves into another for a small amount of time. Quite frankly I don't think that we can really know whether BDSM as we know it existed that many years ago. The social thought processes have shifted in the past two-thousand years, and what we now view as societally acceptable or... rather acceptable may not have been previously. This seems like an anthropological question, and alas, I have no experience in this regard.

Quite frankly I haven't ever really sat down to assess why people participate in the BDSM sub-culture. There are a variety of personal reasons, but I cannot speak to the conditioning going on around us. Hrm...

horticult
02-15-2012, 01:19 AM
o O ;-)