PDA

View Full Version : Call for submissions: for a photography exhibition about alchemy

zoas23
01-25-2012, 05:26 PM
http://salonarcano.com.ar/banners/logoblanco.png

PHILOSOPHIA + ARS + TRADITIO
Ars Gratia Artis

:: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS :::
::: PROFESSIONAL AND AMATEUR PHOTOGRAPHERS OF ALL NATIONS::
::: NO ENTRY FEE:::

::: DEADLINE: 30th MARCH 2012 :::

Fixating the volatile:
The ancient alchemists of the past spent their lives trying to find a way to fix the volatile; a way to capture the light of the spirit and materialize it. Thus, respecting the freedom of religion, thought and expression, we call the new artisans of the light to participate in a very similar work.

The Salón Arcano invites amateur and professional photographers to submit works inspired by dreams, allegories, myths, mysticism, the intangibles, spirituality, alchemy, astrology, qabalah, magic or the mystery traditions for our next exhibition. This exhibition will take place in May 2012 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. This event is an exhibition of photography and visual arts named: “The Square: a Hermetic Revelation”.
In the exhibition, each photograph will be displayed next to a text (submitted by each photographer), creating a mirror in which the photo explains the text and the text becomes the mirror-image of the photo.

::: RULES AND SUBMISSION GUIDELINES :::

1. We will receive works and photographs by individuals of every nationality, regardless of their country of residence.

2. The Salón Arcano will make a selection of the works.

3. Entries must be sent in digital format and high resolution to salonarcano@gmail.com

4. Each photo must contain:

TITLE:
AUTHOR
STATE AND COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE:
TEXT:
AUTHOR OF THE TEXT:

5. Every photo must be accompanied by a text inspired by the image. This text can be a poem, an idea, a brief essay or any kind of text that, in some way, mirrors the image. The author of the text can be the photographer who submits the photo or a second person working with the photographer. Texts found in books will not be accepted.

The maximum length of the text is 120 words. During the selection the texts will be as important as the photos themselves and considered as a single work of image and text. The texts must be written in ENGLISH OR SPANISH, and the texts submitted in English will be translated to Spanish for the exhibition.

6. The Salón Arcano will not be accepting photographs that do not include a text.

7. As long as it is possible to send us a high resolution copy of the photo by e-mail, we accept all types of photographs. We accept analog and digital; as well as any kind of alteration of the photos such as photomontages, digital collages, any kind of laboratory process, cut-ups, etc.

8. There is no entry fee. The Salón Arcano will pay/finance the photo printing of the selected works of the participants who do not live in Buenos Aires. The participants who live in Buenos Aires will be asked to print their own photos.

::: LEGAL CONDITIONS :::

1. The Salón Arcano will have the right to use, display and exhibit the submitted photographs and texts in an exhibition called: “The Square: a Hermetic Revelation”, in physical publications, in digital publications and on the Salón Arcano website. The Salón Arcano will also provide the images and texts to individuals who want to illustrate a review of the exhibition. The photos and texts will always give credit to the author. The photos will not be published in any way that provides a high resolution digital copy of the photo.

2. The Salón Arcano does not claim the exclusive copyright of the works, all of the rights not mentioned in the first paragraph of these legal conditions remain with the authors of the photographs and the texts.

3. The authors will have the right to sell their works, as the Salón Arcano is a not for profit organization that will not request or accept a percentage of the transactions between the artist and the buyers. The Salón Arcano may provide any interested buyers a contact with the artist, but any kind of transaction will have to be done as a private transaction between the buyer and artist. The Salón Arcano will not be a part of this operation.

http://salonarcano.com.ar (http://salonarcano.com.ar/)
Spanish text of this call for submissions (http://salonarcano.com.ar/contenidos/convocatoria/foto.html)
This call for submissions can also be found in facebook (https://www.facebook.com/events/351805444835635/)

http://salonarcano.com.ar/contenidos/convocatoria/english_photo.html

zoas23
01-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi,

If you have questions about this call for submissions, please ask them.

This is 100% free to participate, if you are lucky enough and someone during the exhibition in interested in buying your work, the 100% of the money is your, since we won't get involved in the operation, except providing your e-mail to a possible buyer if YOU are interested (we will always ask first).

Anyway, the aim of the exhibition isn't selling, just showing what yiu want to show with a photo and a text.

Also, the Salon Arcano is a gallery for people working on Hermeticism and Art.
I think most people in this forum have something interesting to show... Even if your camera is terrible or if you don't consider yourself to be a good photographer, please don't be shy. We are still probably more interested in showing your work than in showing a photo by someone who's a professional photographer but has nothing to say about Alchemy or Hermeticism.

And the gallery is 100% open minded, so we are really open to all types of ideas.

This is an exhibition that will take place in Buenos Aires.
My own experience is that I have participated in my life in four "occult exhibitions" that took place in countries different than my own and each time it was fantastic (once in the Occulture festival of Brighton, another time in the Omhpalos festival of Bath, another time in the Okultura festival of Poland... and quite recently in the Perwinkle Monthly Cinema of San Francisco, during the month in which they screened "Occult films").
So I hope you can participate, I promise you won't regret it.

solomon levi
01-25-2012, 06:33 PM
So the content of the pic can be anything hermetic related?
Symbols, lab processes, nature...?

zoas23
01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
So the content of the pic can be anything hermetic related?
Symbols, lab processes, nature...?

Yes, absolutely everything.
Also, for those who may feel insecure, I must say that our policy is to be extremely selective: if the artist is a person who has a honest interest in hermeticism or alchemy or the mystery traditions... we are going to exhibit his work.
People who's not interested on these subjects..... they have thousands and thousands of other places where they can show their works.

So, yeah, we are definitely going to exhibit any work submitted by any person who participates in a forum like this one. So don't feel worried about what we expect to see... and simply think about what you would like to show.
And we're more than very open minded about everything (during one of our past exhibitions, in which we showed paintings by several artists, one of them was working very close to the tradition of Russian Icons, whilst another one was working very close to the ideals of Fluxus... and we love that diversity of ideas, techniques, points of view, etc).

So far the photos we have received are incredibly different.
In short: use our "rules" about the possible contents of the work simply as a guideline and then think about what you would like to show, instead of trying to find out what we want to see (since out only intention is to create a space here in Buenos Aires where you can show something about your spiritual life that you'd like to share with other people).

solomon levi
01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Is it sufficient to post the picture here in the forums and you copy it?

zoas23
01-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Is it sufficient to post the picture here in the forums and you copy it?

I would prefer if you can send it to salonarcano@gmail.com as to keep everything organized, but yeah, you can also post the image to the forum and tell me about it.
Also, PLEASE remember 3 things when posting:

1) Don't forget to include the requested information:

TITLE:
AUTHOR*
TEXT:
AUTHOR OF THE TEXT*:
(* I do know that some poeple can be concerned about their privacy, so you can use any pseudonym you want... this is an art gallery, not the Police)

2) Please submit the picture with the HIGHEST definition possible for you. We have to print 40 x 25 centimeters (that's more or less 15 x 10 inches) copies of the photos in photography paper. The higher the resolution of your photo, the better it will look like printed.

3) Don't forget the text... !!! (maximum length = 120 words). The text can be a poem, a brief essay, an explanation of your photo... something you wanted to say that is related to the photo... and all the possible and impossible etceteras.

zoas23
02-25-2012, 06:00 AM
There's still more or less a month till the deadline!

I would really love to get some submissions from members of this forum!

Nibiru
02-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Hello zoas23 :)

I took my first photography class last semester. I didn't have any specific hermetic subject matter in mind when I took the photos, but I was deeply involved in such studies during this time-frame. Many of the pictures are of nature and different forms of patterns and rhythm. It was only a beginners class and I'm not the best judge of photographic works. I have several pictures and no way of knowing which one or ones would be the best to submit. I don't want to clutter up your thread with literally dozens of photos so if you'd like I could start another thread to display my photos, that's if you wouldn't mind taking the time to look through them and let me know which one(if any) would be best to submit..

zoas23
02-25-2012, 07:37 AM
The Salon Arcano is not a conventional art gallery.

It is a gallery for people who follow a hermetic philosophy in their lives (and using "hermetic" in the broadest sense)
It has been created as a space where such people can show their artistic creations.... And we do value the ideas behind the works, the philosophy behind the works.

So... relax and take it easy. We have zero intentions of rejecting any work submitted by any person who follows an hermetic path... to put it in a simple way: the ONLY pourpose of our gallery is giving you a space where you can show your works.
A lot of the artists that have been exhibiting in our gallery are experienced artists who participated in a lot of other exhibitions, but then a lot of them had their first exhibition in our gallery because they never considered that their own art was worth showing to other people.

We are not looking for the "best" photographers or the "best" photograph in the same sense than a conventional photography magazine or a photography gallery would have in mind.
Your short explanation already made it obvious for me that you are exactly the kind of people whose works we want to show.

Your photo has already been chosen for the exhibition... you simply have to send it to me. Having said such thing, you have absolute freedom to show what you would like to show instead of trying to figure out what other people would like to see.

Because of these reasons is why we also ask the photographers to include a text.

And, yes, your text can perfectly be something like: "I took my first photography class last semester. I didn't have any specific hermetic subject matter in mind when I took the photos, but I was deeply involved in such studies during this time-frame. Looking at this photo right now I realize that I can relate it to _________________"
But, then again, you can write anything you want.

I have already made it easier for you. You have already been chosen.

But now I would like to make it harder for you again: the one that has to choose the photo is you... Don't "judge" the photo!!! :) This isn't a trial with judges and attorneys... !
So take it as a game... and dare to be playful, have fun... and choose the one that makes you feel joy... the one that makes you want to talk about it.
I see you are from Illinois... so have fun thinking that one of your photos will be shown in Buenos Aires and that people from a far away land will be seeing the photo you have chosen in an exhibition... and reading in Spanish, a language that you probably don't speak perfectly, some of your ideas related to that photo. These people will include very onld men, but also very young kids... all of them will take some time watching your photo... some of them some minutes, some others just a few seconds... a lot of them will say a few words about your photo to their friend or boyfriend or girlfriend or son or husband or wife or to a complete stranger... a lot of them will remain silent.
Just to imagine such thing is already interesting. By choosing a photo and sending it, you are already making it real.

Simply take some time to watch those photos you are talking about and see which one is the photo that you can relate to an idea that you find worthy to share... and then write something about what made you choose that one... or which one is the idea that it brings you, etc... and send it.

Yes, creating another thread or even using this thread to show your photos is perfect... but I won't "help" you choosing a photo, since your opinion and your views are by far more interesting for me than my views and my opinions. I somehow refuse to steal from you the pleasure of choosing by yourself.

(And, in my humble opinion, all your photos are already perfect.... so just dare to choose one).

Salazius
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
I'll be pleased to participate, very good idea !
Check your emails.

I didn't know how many photos could be send so .. I send the one i fuond okay for such event.

zoas23
02-27-2012, 12:30 AM
I'll be pleased to participate, very good idea !
Check your emails.

I didn't know how many photos could be send so .. I send the one i fuond okay for such event.

I just saw what you have sent.
My jaw dropped to say the least.
Fantastic and there are no words to say how thankful I am of the photos you've sent.

I am about to leave home right now, but I will reply to your e-mail tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
Take it for granted that you will be included in the exhibition and that I am jumping in joy after seeing your photos!

Salazius
02-27-2012, 07:18 AM
... :) COOL!!

Thank you !

zoas23
03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
So far I have received only one submission from a member of this forum (though I must confess that it was one that made my jaw drop!).

I am really looking forward for more. :)

Do you feel uneasy with showing your lab? You don't need to show your lab if you don't want to... ANY picture of anything that you can relate to alchemy or hermeticism will be accepted if you have a honest intention.

Do you feel that you are not an amazing photographer? There's a lot of great photographers who can send a pic of a model wearing a glamarous dress and some sort of angelic light surrounding the model, a perfect Cosmo picture... and yet the photo of an amateur photographer who has something to say on the subject is what we are looking for. Do not worry about not being a "professional photographer". We aren't even looking for professional photographers.

Do you feel uneasy with what your friends may think of the photo? If you are that shy, then feel free to choose an artistic pseudonym.

Do you feel uneasy with what perfect strangers may think of your photo? Take it for granted that no work of art in the whole history of mankind pleaseed everyone, so, yeah... certainly some people will love your photo whilst some others won't find it specially interesting... So what?

Do you feel that you have absolutely nothing to show and absolutely nothing to say? unless you are completely dead, then I don't think such thing is even possible.

Again, it is 100% free to participate and we can even sell your works at the exhibition if that's what you want (and our comission is quite low, only 0%...)

Seth-Ra
03-18-2012, 01:25 AM
So far I have received only one submission from a member of this forum (though I must confess that it was one that made my jaw drop!).

I am really looking forward for more. :)

Do you feel uneasy with showing your lab? You don't need to show your lab if you don't want to... ANY picture of anything that you can relate to alchemy or hermeticism will be accepted if you have a honest intention.

Do you feel that you are not an amazing photographer? There's a lot of great photographers who can send a pic of a model wearing a glamarous dress and some sort of angelic light surrounding the model, a perfect Cosmo picture... and yet the photo of an amateur photographer who has something to say on the subject is what we are looking for. Do not worry about not being a "professional photographer". We aren't even looking for professional photographers.

Do you feel uneasy with what your friends may think of the photo? If you are that shy, then feel free to choose an artistic pseudonym.

Do you feel uneasy with what perfect strangers may think of your photo? Take it for granted that no work of art in the whole history of mankind pleaseed everyone, so, yeah... certainly some people will love your photo whilst some others won't find it specially interesting... So what?

Do you feel that you have absolutely nothing to show and absolutely nothing to say? unless you are completely dead, then I don't think such thing is even possible.

Again, it is 100% free to participate and we can even sell your works at the exhibition if that's what you want (and our comission is quite low, only 0%...)

I have an idea or two coming to mind (inspiration has now struck me ;) ) so i'll see about submitting one this coming up week sometime. :)

~Seth-Ra

zoas23
03-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I have an idea or two coming to mind (inspiration has now struck me ;) ) so i'll see about submitting one this coming up week sometime. :)
~Seth-Ra

Thank you.
Since my last post another member of this forum sent a huge submission... so now it's two submissions I have from this forum.
I must say that the two submissions that came from here are my two favorite sets of photos for this exhibition, both of them incredibly different... both of them extremely special.

So... the whole idea of the photo exhibition started as a "let's see what happens" thing... what I have received so far has shown me that there are people out there with incredible treasures who probably never had the idea of showing them in the context of an art gallery before... and yet what they sent are really some of the most interesting things to see in an art gallery.

I am truly glad about this exhibition. To be honest, I didn't expect it to get SO good... right now I can't believe it's becoming a reality, but it is.
So, thanks thanks thanks a lot... and I'm waiting for your submission, Seth-Ra!!! :)

Seth-Ra
03-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Thank you.
Since my last post another member of this forum sent a huge submission... so now it's two submissions I have from this forum.
I must say that the two submissions that came from here are my two favorite sets of photos for this exhibition, both of them incredibly different... both of them extremely special.

So... the whole idea of the photo exhibition started as a "let's see what happens" thing... what I have received so far has shown me that there are people out there with incredible treasures who probably never had the idea of showing them in the context of an art gallery before... and yet what they sent are really some of the most interesting things to see in an art gallery.

I am truly glad about this exhibition. To be honest, I didn't expect it to get SO good... right now I can't believe it's becoming a reality, but it is.
So, thanks thanks thanks a lot... and I'm waiting for your submission, Seth-Ra!!! :)

Well i will certainly get ya some - speaking of, how many entries are allowed per person? The weather should be good where i am for the next couple of days, so it'll be good for taking some artistic photos of some of my stuff. :D
If i can do several i probably will.

~Seth-Ra

Awani
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Great. I like that things are manifesting physically and not only with words and ideas. I have nothing to submit myself, but I look forward to a possible digital exhibition here on the forums after the real one has taken place.

:cool:

Nibiru
03-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Hello Zoas23, sorry I've taken so long get any pictures to you. The day I began to organize my pictures I was offered a free ride on a Caribbean cruise ship to the Bahamas and Virgin Islands. The trip pushed back the completion of a few of my current priorities. I plan to start a photography thread on A.F. today for artists to display their works. What I need to know is if I post the pictures here, will you still be able to use them in your exhibit or do you want to display them exclusively for the gallery?? I realize the deadline is running short, and I hope to have something to you soon..

zoas23
03-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Well i will certainly get ya some - speaking of, how many entries are allowed per person? The weather should be good where i am for the next couple of days, so it'll be good for taking some artistic photos of some of my stuff. :D
If i can do several i probably will.
~Seth-Ra

Hi!

It's hard to explain. The original idea was one... but then a lot of people sent like 20 photos so we discarded the original idea.
We are unable to exhibit 20 photos per person in the real exhibition, but if the photos are interesting, then we can show some 3 to 5 photos of the same person.
AND, last but not least, if the amount of photos is quite big and specially interesting, I may try to persuade the person who sends the photos to let me create a "virtual gallery" of his photos in our webpage and let the people watch the non-exhibited photos in our webage (of course, low resolution copies, we are giving the original archives to anyone).

In short: we had rules about how many photos were allowed, but the submissions were by far more interesting than our rules... so the "rules" about how many photos are allowed were discarded. It is fun when the world becomes more interesting that what you expected... so send as many as you want. If you send 20, then take it for granted that we won't be able to show 20 photos of the same person in the "real" exhibition, but we may create a virtual gallery and show some 3 or 5 in the real exhibition.

zoas23
03-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Great. I like that things are manifesting physically and not only with words and ideas. I have nothing to submit myself, but I look forward to a possible digital exhibition here on the forums after the real one has taken place. :cool:

Thank you!
I will create a "virtual gallery" of the photos that were chosen for exhibition (reducing the size of the photos, since a lot of photographers don't want to see a high resolution copy of their photos on the internet for free) + pictures of the exhibition (the audience, the place, etc) once the real exhibition takes place.

I will send a link here for sure. There are very interesting photos to see. All of them incredibly different.

zoas23
03-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Hello Zoas23, sorry I've taken so long get any pictures to you. The day I began to organize my pictures I was offered a free ride on a Caribbean cruise ship to the Bahamas and Virgin Islands. The trip pushed back the completion of a few of my current priorities. I plan to start a photography thread on A.F. today for artists to display their works. What I need to know is if I post the pictures here, will you still be able to use them in your exhibit or do you want to display them exclusively for the gallery?? I realize the deadline is running short, and I hope to have something to you soon..

Hi!
I don't need any exclusivity... and the copyright remains with the artists. It is perfectly OK to publish/post the same photos anywhere you want... you don't even need to ask :)
In short: the Salon Arcano was created by artists, not by merchants... so none of us likes the "silly" rules that some galleries have... so we certainly reject all that nonsense.

Your photos belong to you, if you let us show them in our exhibition, then it is a pleasure for us to show them... we would be crazy if we told you that you can't show your own photos in a different place (yes, a lot of galleries do that stuff and we are all used to it... but, in short: we don't). Your photos are your photos, you own them.

So... yeah, I have no problem if you post the same photos here.

I would however ask you to send to salonarcano@gmail.com the photos for this exhibition instead of submitting them to this forum (of course, as I've said, I really have no problem if you ALSO send them to the forum, it's OK). This is because of a lot of reasons:

1) That I would like to have an e-mail address were to contact you.
2) That I may need to discuss some things with you in private.
3) That it would be easier for me to organize myself that way
4) And mostly because I need the higher resolution possible because I need to print big-sized copies... and it wouldn't make much sense to send HUGE photos to the forum.

Also, please don't forget to include a bried text (maximum length = 120 words) for each photo.
(Unless the photos are very linked between them and you want to write something about them that unites them all instead of a specific text for each photo)

Thank you!

Seth-Ra
03-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Zoas23,

Today was great for picture taking (aside from the wind, but its not noticeable lol) so i was able to get you my submission. ^.^
Let me know if you wanna see the other one i have of it, incase it would be better, or if i need to make a shorter Text. lol

:)

~Seth-Ra