PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy of Emotions

DanceofRebirth
01-29-2012, 01:53 AM
Does anyone have any good tactics or book recommendations for the alchemical changing of emotions? I've looked into calming techniques and meditations, but they don't really hold a key for the transition into a better me, they are only coping mechanisms in the way I know to use them. Deep breathing, for example, will calm the body and the mind, but it is not challenging the heart of the problem, the reasons behind the emotions that well up, it only challenges the emotion itself and the release of it's importance in the moment. Once that moment passes, the emotions seem to well up again without changing. Meditating on the root of the problem has been beneficial in the past, but it maintains a distance that I am beginning to feel is another coping mechanism because it allows a sense of reasoning that says 'that's not a part of me' instead of 'this is a part of me and I'm going to deal with it'. In most cases, I'd use art as a medium to face my fears and my feelings with any subject. Creating, making, painting, singing, drawing, and anything else involved in the project and creative outlet (creativity, water, emotional link) usually helps, but the space, time, and option to do so has been sorely lacking in recent weeks. Since I'm looking for more ways to broaden my perspective, I began to wonder if there were any specific 'alchemical' manners to challenge this within myself, as a way to focus on personal improvement as well as dealing with the thoughts and feelings within. It is not so problematic that I find myself in need of therapy, as it's simply day to day stress and reflection of past as the changes within take place. I simply need an outlet for the emotions I feel, and was curious if there is a more 'alchemical' manner that any of you burn off your own excess emotions.

solomon levi
01-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Greetings Dance of Rebirth.
I deal with this issue also and understand what you mean by "coping" and
manifesting a real change/transmutation. Mainly what I know of is really
just being with the emotion without judgement, or without 'the judge'/mind.
The separation allows it to be problematic, but if we really don't try to escape
or improve the situation and just enhance our awareness into oneness with it,
then it is really transmuted into first matter/consciousness from emotion/separation/duality.

I've looked at this myself - I know a lot of ways to reframe something, but that is just coping
as you say. To really change it is to remove any frame entirely and realise it is the One.
To do that we have to remove our'selves', our minds, our 'thinking about', our separation from,
our fragmented reality of subject and object.

As a medium place between that and 'coping mechanisms', we can also turn emotions into
energy/sulfur as opposed to mercury/consciousness and still feel some true changing from this.
It is really a matter of not labelling the energy, even to the point of not knowing what emotion is
versus something external - the energy of the wind per se. This is another form or 'path' of Oneness
or applying a larger sphere/picture/awareness because we unite our personal egg with the external
macrocosm - we eliminate the boundary between self and not self.

annabelle_lee
01-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Well, here's what I did in regards to a specific emotion. There is an amazing book I love called "On Becoming An Alchemist: Guide for the Modern Magician" by Catherine MacCoun. She examines alchemy from an internal perspective, and guides the reader through the seven steps of alchemy as they are internally. This book prompted me to start with a specific emotion, and turn it from it's negative emotion into a positive one. For example, I took the emotion of fear, and calcined it then went through the remainder of the work (to include fermentation). After about a month I completed the work, and made a mental tincture for myself that I consumed. About a week later I got into my very first fire fight out here in Afghanistan. As bullets whizzed past my head, and I ran breathless towards the enemy I was unafraid. I laughed, literally, in the face of death.

This is my personal suggestion to you- take your emotions through the seven stages of alchemy and transmute them into something better.

DanceofRebirth
01-31-2012, 05:41 AM
Thank you to you both. I appreciate the time and effort in discussing this subject. Life's been kind of a roller coaster in this regard recently, and I've been struggling to make a real effort that I know can be of use for me and not just 'dealing with it', but actually working through it to make things really easier.

Solomon, I do think that my struggle is more of removing the frame, as you've put it, because I can logic through it, but it doesn't always work when it comes down to it. I logic it into it not being important, which doesn't help when I'm actively worried/emotional about something. It becomes 'too late' to make a difference. Sometimes I can manage to change them into an active energy, but sometimes it simply doesn't work either. In short, you're correct (from my perspective) about changing things from my fractured perspective and into working with the realities of the One. This will likely help the most, and I can't ignore my struggles in that situation because there is no frame to hide behind. Thank you for your comments, it will serve to remind me exactly where I stand and what I really need to be focusing on.

Annabelle, this sounds like an intense experience and I can only imagine how empowering it was to no longer feel fear in that kind of situation. I'll look into this book and see if I can connect to it and follow it's advice as directly and evenly as it seems you've been able to do. My struggle with this is *how* to go about changing them over, but if the book has some solid advice, then I shall look into it in more depth. Thank you for the recommendation.

solomon levi
01-31-2012, 08:59 AM
I just came across this quote I think may be appropriate:

"Difference exist because thought develops like a stream that happens to go one way here and another way there. Once it develops it produces real physical results that people are looking at, but they don't see where these results are coming from - that's one of the basic features of fragmentation. When they have produced these divisions they see that real things have happened, so they'll start with these real things as if they just suddenly got there by themselves, or evolved in nature by themselves. That's a mistake that thought makes. It produces a result, and then it says, "I didn't do it; it's there by itself, and I must correct it." But if thought is constantly making this result and then saying, 'I've got to stop it', this is absurd. Because thought is caught up in this absurdity, it is producing all sorts of negative consequences, then treating them as independent and saying, "I must stop them."

David Bohm & Mark Edwards, Changing Consciousness

III
02-01-2012, 06:04 AM
Does anyone have any good tactics or book recommendations for the alchemical changing of emotions? I've looked into calming techniques and meditations, but they don't really hold a key for the transition into a better me, they are only coping mechanisms in the way I know to use them. Deep breathing, for example, will calm the body and the mind, but it is not challenging the heart of the problem, the reasons behind the emotions that well up, it only challenges the emotion itself and the release of it's importance in the moment. Once that moment passes, the emotions seem to well up again without changing. Meditating on the root of the problem has been beneficial in the past, but it maintains a distance that I am beginning to feel is another coping mechanism because it allows a sense of reasoning that says 'that's not a part of me' instead of 'this is a part of me and I'm going to deal with it'. In most cases, I'd use art as a medium to face my fears and my feelings with any subject. Creating, making, painting, singing, drawing, and anything else involved in the project and creative outlet (creativity, water, emotional link) usually helps, but the space, time, and option to do so has been sorely lacking in recent weeks. Since I'm looking for more ways to broaden my perspective, I began to wonder if there were any specific 'alchemical' manners to challenge this within myself, as a way to focus on personal improvement as well as dealing with the thoughts and feelings within. It is not so problematic that I find myself in need of therapy, as it's simply day to day stress and reflection of past as the changes within take place. I simply need an outlet for the emotions I feel, and was curious if there is a more 'alchemical' manner that any of you burn off your own excess emotions.

HI Danceofrebirth,

I would suggest several books by EJ Gold. THE HUMAN BIOLOGICAL MACHINE AS A TRANSFORMATIONAL APPARATUS, LIFE IN THE LABRYNTH, THE HIDDEN WORK and THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN BOOK OF THE DEAD. There is also ALCHEMICAL SEX that you might also consider. As one works thriugh the triggers to unconscious reactions, everything changes. EJ Gold stresses the need to WAKE UP and work from that position. I agree fully.

Krisztian
05-22-2012, 02:39 AM

The best method available, to transmute emotions, is to listen to your Inner Master! Let it guide you to where you need to go, what you need to learn, what to focus on, etc.

Second best, take time and watch the play of children, perhaps in a nearby park. Observe their play.

Third best, I found, spend some time in Mother Nature.

If these suggestions don't work, then seek out some teachers in your neighbourhood who specialize in your interest.

Wishing you the very best!