PDA

View Full Version : Alchemicals symbols in dreams

annabelle_lee
02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Either I've been reading too many alchemy texts, or there's something to be found here. What follows is a very succinct explaination of a dream I recently had.

I was in an unconventional prison, trying to figure out how to stop the arrival of a cloud form black dragon. The word "VITRIOL" was carved in a circular pattern around a purple jewel with a green glint to it. At the last minute I figured out the answer and was able to quickly contain the prisoners.

Later on the dream shifted to where I was performing fellatio on a black hermaphrodite. The usual *cough* reaction followed, but she (my brain assigned the pronoun) wasn't in the mood to receive herself. If it matters at all she was uncircumcised.

What I've figured out from researching over the past few days is basically what the symbolism mean in alchemical texts. Although I've come to the conclusion since said dream that VITRIOL is the key to understanding the Great Work. The volatile black dragon represents the feces or dead head of the first portion of the work. As for the black hermaphrodite I am entirely confused on that matter.

I'm not looking for dream interpretation, more ideas of where to go from here. I've already gone through a strong and recurring calcination the past three years. I'm of the opinion that all of this is a reflection that the calcination stage has ended in my life. Now I move onto contemplation, and the next step.

Awani
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Try: http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?48-Spiritual-Dissolution

:cool:

solomon levi
03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
My dreams lately are really abstract. I mean they don't have images or anything -
just knowledge. Like last night I remember dreaming about an analogy between the
king and his coffin and the coffin shape of struvite crystals. No visuals - just information.

MarkostheGnostic
03-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Either I've been reading too many alchemy texts, or there's something to be found here. What follows is a very succinct explaination of a dream I recently had.

I was in an unconventional prison, trying to figure out how to stop the arrival of a cloud form black dragon. The word "VITRIOL" was carved in a circular pattern around a purple jewel with a green glint to it. At the last minute I figured out the answer and was able to quickly contain the prisoners.

Later on the dream shifted to where I was performing fellatio on a black hermaphrodite. The usual *cough* reaction followed, but she (my brain assigned the pronoun) wasn't in the mood to receive herself. If it matters at all she was uncircumcised.

What I've figured out from researching over the past few days is basically what the symbolism mean in alchemical texts. Although I've come to the conclusion since said dream that VITRIOL is the key to understanding the Great Work. The volatile black dragon represents the feces or dead head of the first portion of the work. As for the black hermaphrodite I am entirely confused on that matter.

I'm not looking for dream interpretation, more ideas of where to go from here. I've already gone through a strong and recurring calcination the past three years. I'm of the opinion that all of this is a reflection that the calcination stage has ended in my life. Now I move onto contemplation, and the next step.

I will resist offering an analysis, as you request, but in researching your questions, I looked into Vol. 12, Psychology and Alchemy, where Jung reference Herbert Silberer's book Hidden Symbolism of Alchemy and the Occult Arts, which you may or may not be familiar with. Silberer should have presented his book to Jung, but instead he presented it to Freud, who immediately dismissed it. We know, from Jung, Freud's fear of "the black mud tide of occultism," and it was unfortunate that Silberer didn't know that about Freud. He was crushed, and committed suicide. Nevertheless, the book is worth reading.

However, the book that I really think you'd find pertinent to the correlation of alchemical imagery in dreams, and the various stages, is this: This is even MORE valuable for one's own mapping of the psyche: http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Psyche-Alchemical-Symbolism-Psychotherapy/dp/0812690095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331753436&sr=8-1

I remember having a dream about the King and Queen in coitus in a water bath (Plate 4 -Rosarium Philosophorum) with regard to my ex-wife. Unfortunately, it was a precognitive dream of my ex's infidelity. Her lover turned out to be a Black man from St. Croix (Cross). I experienced Mortification and Dissolution. For the past 16 years I have been united with a Black female - a Leo-Sun whereas I am a Cancer-Moon. According to Susan Zannos (Human Types: Essence and the Enneagram), I am a King of Hearts (the Intellectual part of the Emotional Center) and Rose, my Soror, is a Queen of Diamonds (the Emotional part of the Intellectual Center). Thus, despite us both being INTPs according to the Myers-Briggs, in Zannos' model, we mirror-image each other.

If you are fair-skinned, a Black lover makes symbolic sense re: Coincidentia Oppositorum, Conjunctio. If [s]he is hermaphroditic, that may well symbolize your idealized self-image as being psychospiritually Androgenous with no reflection on your sexual orientation. If you are bisexual, it would be reflective at that level as well. [Whoops! Unintentional analysis :o] As a male, I am skewed way to the heterosexual end of the orientation continuum, but as a King of Hearts, I am empathetic along feminine lines. I am minimally aggressive and I do not like competition, sports, fighting, etc. My femininity and masculinity intersect at the Solar Heart, rather than the Lunar Loins (Yesod, Svadhisthana). I'm simply illustrating by way of my own situation here, since it may suggest a similarity with your dream. (Sorry if it comes off as an analysis).

annabelle_lee
03-15-2012, 07:26 PM
@Dev Still trying to work through my own dissolution. Patience is in short supply, and I am terrible at noting the occurences as they come... :-/

@Solomon That's actually quite nifty.

@Markos As ever, you are a highly useful source of just the right literature. I am actually bisexual and fair skinned, so correct on both counts. *applauds*

III
03-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I will resist offering an analysis, as you request, but in researching your questions, I looked into Vol. 12, Psychology and Alchemy, where Jung reference Herbert Silberer's book Hidden Symbolism of Alchemy and the Occult Arts, which you may or may not be familiar with. Silberer should have presented his book to Jung, but instead he presented it to Freud, who immediately dismissed it. We know, from Jung, Freud's fear of "the black mud tide of occultism," and it was unfortunate that Silberer didn't know that about Freud. He was crushed, and committed suicide. Nevertheless, the book is worth reading.

However, the book that I really think you'd find pertinent to the correlation of alchemical imagery in dreams, and the various stages, is this: This is even MORE valuable for one's own mapping of the psyche: http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Psyche-Alchemical-Symbolism-Psychotherapy/dp/0812690095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331753436&sr=8-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Psyche-Alchemical-Symbolism-Psychotherapy/dp/0812690095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331753436&sr=8-1)

I remember having a dream about the King and Queen in coitus in a water bath (Plate 4 -Rosarium Philosophorum) with regard to my ex-wife. Unfortunately, it was a precognitive dream of my ex's infidelity. Her lover turned out to be a Black man from St. Croix (Cross). I experienced Mortification and Dissolution. For the past 16 years I have been united with a Black female - a Leo-Sun whereas I am a Cancer-Moon. According to Susan Zannos (Human Types: Essence and the Enneagram), I am a King of Hearts (the Intellectual part of the Emotional Center) and Rose, my Soror, is a Queen of Diamonds (the Emotional part of the Intellectual Center). Thus, despite us both being INTPs according to the Myers-Briggs, in Zannos' model, we mirror-image each other.

If you are fair-skinned, a Black lover makes symbolic sense re: Coincidentia Oppositorum, Conjunctio. If [s]he is hermaphroditic, that may well symbolize your idealized self-image as being psychospiritually Androgenous with no reflection on your sexual orientation. If you are bisexual, it would be reflective at that level as well. [Whoops! Unintentional analysis :o] As a male, I am skewed way to the heterosexual end of the orientation continuum, but as a King of Hearts, I am empathetic along feminine lines. I am minimally aggressive and I do not like competition, sports, fighting, etc. My femininity and masculinity intersect at the Solar Heart, rather than the Lunar Loins (Yesod, Svadhisthana). I'm simply illustrating by way of my own situation here, since it may suggest a similarity with your dream. (Sorry if it comes off as an analysis).

Hi Markosthegnostic,

Let's look at a slightly different interpretation of a blackskinned hermaphrodite. First, the Alchemist who has completed the alchemocal marriage is often pictured as a hermaphrodite, with femine breasts and a phallus, regardless of skin color. Shiva is pften pictured in the hermaphrodite form with breasts and phallus and this form even has a separate name I posted elsewhere here recently. Additionally Shiva may be pictured with black skin, blue skin or any of several other shades. The hermaphrodite form of Shiva is the combined with Shakti form in alchemical union, said union creaing the Brahman which could be considered the template of the creation. Genuine physical hermaphrodites are spiritually esteemed in some circles.

MarkostheGnostic
03-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes. I sometimes refer to my Hierosgamos (Scared Marriage) by referring to us as RoseMark, followed by the symbol of the alchemical Rebis. Incidentally, Eliphas Levi's symbol of the Baphomet also embodies much the same symbolism - breasts, plus caduceus-phallus, one hand pointing up, the other pointing down ("as above, so below"). http://blog.templarhistory.com/wp-content/uploads/baphomet-e1270080262176.gif
The Blackness is often attributed to Shiva, or to blue-skinned Krsna, or Black Sophia. The Ethiopian Queen of Sheba, with whom Solomon was 'involved,' was "Black, but comely." But blackness also described Kali-Durga, as an aspect of "The Terrible Feminine." I recently added a statue of a Greek Isis, modeled after a huge basalt statue found in the Aegean Sea. http://www.goddessgift.net/images/Goddess%20Isis%20w-sistrum%20GIS.jpg She joins statues of Mary the Mother, and Mary the Wife, and red-winged, red-faced, and red-handed Sophia (whatever that meant in pre-modern times).