PDA

View Full Version : Great Quote Collection

Andro
02-03-2012, 10:43 PM
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” ~ Frank Herbert

"Few Are Those Who See With Their Own Eyes And Feel With Their Own Hearts" - Albert Einstein

People Often Say
That This Or That Person
Has Not Found Himself.
But The Self Is Not Something
One Finds, It Is Something One Creates. - Thomas Szasz

"A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move toward higher levels." - Albert Einstein

When someone suggests something that may seem at first to be outrageous, listen and be curious. Avoid being judgmental. - Dr. Wayne Dyer

Research has shown that a simple act of kindness directed toward another improves the functioning of the immune system and stimulates the production of serotonin in both the recipient of the kindness and the person extending the kindness. Kindness extended, received, or observed beneficially impacts the physical health and feelings of everyone involved! - Dr. Wayne Dyer

“The spiritual journey does not consist in arriving at a new destination where a person gains what he did not have, or becomes what he is not. It consists in the dissipation of one’s own ignorance concerning one’s self and life, and the gradual growth of that understanding which begins the spiritual awakening. The finding of God is a coming to one’s self.” - Aldous Huxley

Hold no grudges and practice forgiveness. This is the key to having peace in all your relationships. - Dr. Wayne Dyer

"Proof Has Become Mankind's Obsession. It Is An Intellectual Attachment Which, Rather Than Expanding Your Horizons, Is Rapidly Becoming A Restriction"

"There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."
~ Carl Gustav Jung

"A man must first of all understand certain things. He has thousands of false ideas and false conceptions, chiefly about himself, and he must get rid of some of them before beginning to acquire anything new. Otherwise the new will be built on a wrong foundation and the result will be worse than before. To speak the truth is the most difficult thing in the world; one must study a great deal and for a long time in order to speak the truth. The wish alone is not enough. To speak the truth one must know what the truth is and what a lie is, and first of all in oneself. And this nobody wants to know."
~ G.I. Gurdjieff

"Education Is What Remains After One Has Forgotten What One Has Learned In School" - Albert Einstein

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm. But the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it. Because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves."
~ T. S. Eliot

"Remember that any time you're filled with resentment, you're turning the controls of your emotional life over to others to manipulate." - Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

"Many become popular because they speak and write with a reductionist style that brings the complex and disturbing down into canned formulas of what spiritual growth is supposedly all about. Dozens of such New Age authors could bring their works together into one large volume entitled, "How To Become Aware of the Depths of You Being Without Disturbing the Routine of Your Comfortable Lifestyle." - Lew Paz

"For the great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics." - Albert Einstein

"How long shall they kill our Prophets, while we stand beside and look?"
- Bob Marley

"Government want to tell you things you can't say because they're against the law, or you can't say this because it's against a regulation, or here's something you can't say because its a...secret; "You can't tell him that because he's not cleared to know that." Government wants to control information and control language because that's the way you control thought, and basically that's the game they're in." ~ George Carlin.

Awani
02-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Great quotes... I like the first one actually... especially Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Here are some more:

”If we don’t believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don’t believe in it at all.”
Noam Chomsky

“Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child.”
Robert A. Heinlein

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

”Where the telescope ends the microscope begins. Which of the two has the grander view?”
Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (1862)

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
Pythagoras

:cool:

Awani
02-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Actually the full quote of Hugo deserves to be laid out as it is poetic truth:

Nothing is small, in fact; any one who is subject to the profound and penetrating influence of nature knows this. Although no absolute satisfaction is given to philosophy, either to circumscribe the cause or to limit the effect, the contemplator falls into those unfathomable ecstasies caused by these decompositions of force terminating in unity. Everything toils at everything.

Algebra is applied to the clouds; the radiation of the star profits the rose; no thinker would venture to affirm that the perfume of the hawthorn is useless to the constellations. Who, then, can calculate the course of a molecule? How do we know that the creation of worlds is not determined by the fall of grains of sand? Who knows the reciprocal ebb and flow of the infinitely great and the infinitely little, the reverberations of causes in the precipices of being, and the avalanches of creation?

The tiniest worm is of importance; the great is little, the little is great; everything is balanced in necessity; alarming vision for the mind. There are marvellous relations between beings and things; in that inexhaustible whole, from the sun to the grub, nothing despises the other; all have need of each other. The light does not bear away terrestrial perfumes into the azure depths, without knowing what it is doing; the night distributes stellar essences to the sleeping flowers. All birds that fly have round their leg the thread of the infinite.

Germination is complicated with the bursting forth of a meteor and with the peck of a swallow cracking its egg, and it places on one level the birth of an earthworm and the advent of Socrates. Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two possesses the larger field of vision?

Choose.

A bit of mould is a pleiad of flowers; a nebula is an anthill of stars. The same promiscuousness, and yet more unprecedented, exists between the things of the intelligence and the facts of substance. Elements and principles mingle, combine, wed, multiply with each other, to such a point that the material and the moral world are brought eventually to the same clearness. The phenomenon is perpetually returning upon itself. In the vast cosmic exchanges the universal life goes and comes in unknown quantities, rolling entirely in the invisible mystery of effluvia, employing everything, not losing a single dream, not a single slumber, sowing an animalcule here, crumbling to bits a planet there, oscillating and winding, making of light a force and of thought an element, disseminated and invisible, dissolving all, except that geometrical point, the I; bringing everything back to the soul-atom; expanding everything in God, entangling all activity, from summit to base, in the obscurity of a dizzy mechanism, attaching the flight of an insect to the movement of the earth, subordinating, who knows?

Were it only by the identity of the law, the evolution of the comet in the firmament to the whirling of the infusoria in the drop of water. A machine made of mind. Enormous gearing, the prime motor of which is the gnat, and whose final wheel is the zodiac.

Awani
02-06-2012, 03:43 AM
"Proof Has Become Mankind's Obsession. It Is An Intellectual Attachment Which, Rather Than Expanding Your Horizons, Is Rapidly Becoming A Restriction"
Who said this? Was it Jung?

Andro
02-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Who said this? Was it Jung?

Apparently received via psychic communication from a tree (not unusual - A.), from the book 'Talking with Nature (http://books.google.co.il/books?id=SUCdwEPiMC8C&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=%22Proof+Has+Become+Mankind%27s+Obsession.+It+I s+An+Intellectual+Attachment+Which,+Rather+Than+Ex panding+Your+Horizons,+Is+Rapidly+Becoming+A+Restr iction%22&source=bl&ots=YP329cOpRu&sig=hRAmUffPKAOmJLQ6zeLBG2_wHcE&hl=iw&sa=X&ei=bsYvT6mVO6774QTb54CwDg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22Proof%20Has%20Become%20Mankind%27s%20Obsessio n.%20It%20Is%20An%20Intellectual%20Attachment%20Wh ich%2C%20Rather%20Than%20Expanding%20Your%20Horizo ns%2C%20Is%20Rapidly%20Becoming%20A%20Restriction% 22&f=false)' by Michael J. Roads.

Awani
02-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Political cunning ever sings the praise of the mass: the poor majority, the outraged, the abused, the giant majority, if only it would follow us. Who has not heard this litany before? Who does not know this never-varying refrain of all politicians? That the mass bleeds, that it is being robbed and exploited, I know as well as our vote-baiters. But I insist that not a handful of parasites, but the mass itself is responsible for this horrible state of affairs. It clings to its masters, loves the whip, and is the first to cry Crucify! the moment a protesting voice is raised against the sacredness of capitalistic authority or any other decayed institution. Yet how long would authority and private property exist, if not for the willingness of the mass to become soldiers, policemen, jailers, and hangmen..." Emma Goldman, 1917

solomon levi
05-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Some of my favorite Yogi Berra quotes. He was a great baseball player.
Now he's in his 80s but still making great quotes.
It's like he's a little senile, a little zen and a little high.

"This is like deja vu all over again."

"You can observe a lot just by watching."

"Think! How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?"

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

Once, Yogi's wife Carmen asked, "Yogi, you are from St. Louis, we live in New Jersey, and you played ball in New York. If you go before I do, where would you like me to have you buried?" Yogi replied, "Surprise me."

When asked for the time: "Do you mean now?"

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

In reply to "Hey Yogi, I think we're lost.": "Yeah, but we're making great time!"

"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours."

"Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."

"If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be."

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

"The future ain't what it used to be."

solomon levi
06-10-2012, 09:22 AM
More quotes on perception:

“And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be crazy, by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

“Nonsense is that which does not fit into the prearranged patterns which we have superimposed on reality...Nonsense is nonsense only when we have not yet found that point of view from which it makes sense.”
― Gary Zukav

“look at everything as though you are seeing it either for the first or last time, then your time on earth will be filled with glory”
― Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

“Most of us go through each day looking for what we saw yesterday And, not surprisingly, that is what we find.”
― James A. Kitchens

“Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds”
― Albert Einstein

“After all, is it not the way we humans shape the universe, shape time itself? Do we not take the raw stuff of chaos and impose a beginning, middle, and end on it, like the simplest and most profound of folktales, to reflect the shapes of our own tiny lives? And if the physicists are right, that the physical world changes as it is observed, and we are its only known observers, then might we not be bending the entire chaotic universe, the eternal, ever-active Now, to fit that familiar form?”
― Tad Williams, Sea of Silver Light

“The world' is man's experience as it appears to, and is moulded by, his ego. It is that less abundant life, which is lived according to the dictates of the insulated self. It is nature denatured by the distorting spectacles of our appetites and revulsions. It is the finite divorced from the Eternal. It is multiplicity in isolation from its non-dual Ground. It is time apprehended as one damned thing after another. It is a system of verbal categories taking the place of the fathomlessly beautiful and mysterious particulars which constitute reality. It is a notion labelled 'God'. It is the Universe equated with the words of our utilitarian vocabulary.”
― Aldous Huxley

“Internal mental experience is not the product of a photographic process. Internal reality is in fact constructed by the brain as it interacts with the environment in the present, in the context of its past experiences and expectancies of the future. At the level of perceptual categorizations, we have reached a land of mental representations quite distant from the layers of the world just inches away from their place inside the skull. This is the reason why each of us experiences a unique way of minding the world.”
― Daniel J. Siegel, The Developing Mind: How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are

"Our understanding is limited by our presuppositions. Faulty presuppositions result in faulty interpretation of data and other handicaps. Experiments are designed to reinforce presuppositions not to challenge them. In other words, we do science to reinforce our ignorance, not to gain enlightenment. We don’t ask science to change us so we can penetrate the mystery of life, we ask it to give us something that will make us more comfortable in our delusion. ”
― Rodney Mansfield

“I am fond of reminding my yoga students of the saying “It takes one to know one” when they become lost in condemnation and judgment of others. The world that we perceive is a reflection of our own states of mind and reveals our own level of consciousness. The world is little more than a Rorschach blot in which we see our own desire systems projected. We see what we want to see.”
― Prem Prakash

“The first serious consciousness of Nature's gesture - her attitude towards life - took form then as a phantasm, a nightmare, all insanity of force. For the first time, the stage-scenery of the senses collapsed; the human mind felt itself stripped naked, vibrating in a void of shapeless energies, with resistless mass, colliding, crushing, wasting, and destroying what these same energies had created and labored from eternity to perfect.”
― Henry Adams

“Even if you have not awakened, if you realize that your perceptions and activities are all like dreams and you view them with detachment, not giving rise to grasping and rejecting discrimination, then this is virtually tantamount to awakening from the dream.”
― Muso Kokushi

"The memory is like twin orbiting stars, one visible, one dark, the trajectory of what's evident forever affected by the gravity of what's concealed.”
― Sue Grafton

“You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.”
― Herb Cohen

Nibiru
06-11-2012, 05:23 PM
A couple of quotes that I like:

"I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking"

~Albert Einstein~

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

~Jimi Hendrix~

Krisztian
06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
What things soever ye desire,
When ye pray, believe that ye receive them,
And ye shall have them.

- Yashua ben Yoshef (Mark 11:24)

Krisztian
06-11-2012, 06:05 PM
"The world is linked by invisible knots."

- A. Kircher, Magneticum naturae regnum, 1667.

Krisztian
06-11-2012, 06:08 PM
". . . happy peoples have no history?" (Italics in original)

". . . you will never discover a figure of Christ whose expression reveals true suffering."

- Fulcanelli, The Dwellings of the Philosophers.

Krisztian
06-11-2012, 06:27 PM
"The less he felt he was being somebody the more he needed to have possessions."

". . . what man is most afraid of is not punishment but rejection."

"Whether or not we are aware of it, there is nothing of which we are more ashamed than of not being ourselves, and there is nothing that gives us greater pride and happiness than to think, to feel, and to say what is ours."

- Fromm, Escape From Freedom.

"The ordinary man with extraordinary power is the chief danger for mankind. . ." (Italics in original)

- Fromm, The Heart of Man.

* German social psychologist Erich Fromm is one of my favorite writers in the field of psychoanalysis. He's often overlooked, little is known of him in America. I own every manuscript he ever written. He's thinking is profound, one of the guiding tools for a psychotherapist like myself.

solomon levi
06-30-2012, 12:04 AM
"A man must above all be in possession of that faculty which is called Intuition, and which cannot be acquired by blindly following the footsteps of another. He must be able to see his own way. What others may teach you may assist you in your search for knowledge, but you should be able to think for yourself, and not cling to the coat-tail of any authority, no matter how big-sounding the title of the latter may be." (Paracelsus - De Modo Pharmacandi.)

solomon levi
07-18-2012, 02:52 AM
"Meantime, whilst the doors of the temple stand open, night and day, before every man, and the oracles of this truth cease never, it is guarded by one stern condition; this, namely; it is an intuition. It cannot be received at second hand. Truly speaking, it is not instruction, but provocation, that I can receive from another soul. What he announces, I must find true in me, or wholly reject; and on his word, or as his second, be he who he may, I can accept nothing. On the contrary, the absence of this primary faith is the presence of degradation. As is the flood so is the ebb. Let this faith depart, and the very words it spake, and the things it made, become false and hurtful." - Emerson
http://www.rwe.org/divinity-school-address.html

solomon levi
07-26-2012, 12:58 PM
"Any visible molecular mass of metal can be so impregnated by triple orders of sympathetic vibration as to give it the same sympathetic transmissive
qualities that exist in the mental forces, which make such mass subservient to either the attractive or repulsive conditions of terrestrial sympathy." - John Keely

Andro
09-15-2012, 12:47 AM
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything - but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

- Terry Pratchett

Andro
09-27-2012, 02:31 AM
A few quotes from 'The Way of the Samurai' (a.k.a. 'Hagakure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagakure)'), as seen in the movie 'Ghost Dog':

The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai.

It is bad when one thing becomes two.
One should not look for anything else in the Way of the Samurai.
It is the same for anything that is called a Way.
If one understands things in this manner, he should be able to hear about all ways and be more and more in accord with his own.

It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream.
When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream.
It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this.

There is something to be learned from a rainstorm.
When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road.
But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet.
When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you still get the same soaking.
This understanding extends to all things.

It is said that what is called "the spirit of an age" is something to which one cannot return.
That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end.
For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done.
Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.

In the Kamigata area they have a sort of tiered lunchbox they use for a single day when flower viewing.
Upon returning, they throw them away, trampling them underfoot. The end is important in all things.

And my favorite:

Our bodies are given life from the midst of nothingness.
Existing where there is nothing is the meaning of the phrase, "form is emptiness."
That all things are provided for by nothingness is the meaning of the phrase, "Emptiness is form."
One should not think that these are two separate things.

Corvidus
09-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Those who have taken upon them to lay down the law of nature as a thing already searched out and understood whether they have spoken in simple assurance or professional affectation, have therein done philosophy and the sciences great injury. For as they have been successful in inducing belief, so they have been effective in quenching and stopping inquiry, and have done more harm by spoiling and putting an end to other men's efforts than good by their own.

Francis Bacon, preface to The New Organon, Or, True Directions Concerning the Interpretation of Nature.

Every day God sends forth three powerful energies:
One, from the sperm of the father into the mother,
so growth may begin.
Two, a birth from the womb of the ground,
so male and female may spring into existence.
Three, there's a surge up from the surface
into what is beyond dying, that the real beauty
of creating can be recognized.

There's no way to ever say this.

Rumi, 'Two Friends', lines 28-36

First, the soul may become one. This event occurs not between man and God but in man. All forces concentrate into the core, everything that would distract them is pulled in, and the being stands alone in itself and jubilates, as Paracelsus put it, in its exaltation. This is a man's decisive moment. Without this he is not fit for the work of the spirit.

Martin Buber, I and Thou, page 134.

Andro
10-02-2012, 11:28 AM
"Destiny has two ways of crushing us... by refusing our wishes... and by fulfilling them."

- Henry Frederic Amiel

We never had a chance! I_ () I_ :D

And I don't remember where this one is from:

The only way to win is to stop playing.

Stop wishing?

And a similar quote from the 1983 movie 'War Games':

"The only winning move is not to play."

Awani
10-02-2012, 11:11 PM
"Destiny has two ways of crushing us... by refusing our wishes... and by fulfilling them."

- Henry Frederic Amiel

That is very good. I have experienced both refusal and fulfillment... he he...

"When you expect nothing and get everything, that's destiny." - from Blood in, Blood out

"No fate but what we make." - from the Terminator films

solomon levi
10-15-2012, 01:56 PM
"Everyone knows what they've seen; it doesn't mean they've seen all there is to know."
- solomon levi

solomon levi
11-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Trithemius: "our philosophy is celestial, not worldly, in order that we may faithfuly behold, by means of a direct intuition of the mind through faith and knowledge, that principle which we call God...."

solomon levi
11-03-2012, 01:58 AM
"Man doesn't have a rational soul. Man IS the rational soul of the universe." - Solomon Levi

I was just having a vision...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSx1fhSaSs3hSkJkSX5KyjaGF-V9XCaI4mPDZxsz75sXXyA_2tUvw
I Ching triagram: heaven, man and earth.

The sulphur of a plant, mineral or animal carries the color, odor and soul of it.
It is really the sulphur which mediates between mercury and salt, man between heaven and earth.

Andro
11-05-2012, 06:48 AM
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/androgynus_album/CoelhoWarrior.jpg

One can replace 'warrior' with 'christian' (or any other religion), 'vegetarian' (or any other path of sustenance), 'heterosexual' (or any other orientation) and countless other examples.

To paraphrase Shakespeare: "There is no right or wrong but thinking makes it so."

Andro
11-05-2012, 03:22 PM
A few great dialog quotes from the movie Harvey (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042546/) from 1950 (thanks dev for recommending it, it's brilliant!):

Dr. Sanderson (The Psychiatrist): "We all must face reality, Dowd, sooner of later."
Elwood P. Dowd: "Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

Veta Louise Simmons: "Myrtle Mae, you have a lot to learn, and I hope you never learn it."

Veta Louise Simmons: "Oh, Myrtle, don't be didactic. It's not becoming in a young girl. Besides, men loathe it."

Wilson: "Who's Harvey?"
Miss Kelly: "A white rabbit, six feet tall."
Wilson: "Six feet?"
Elwood P. Dowd: "Six feet three and a half inches. Now let's stick to the facts."

Elwood P. Dowd: "You see, science has overcome time and space. Well, Harvey has overcome not only time and space, but any objections."

Dr. Sanderson: "There's the 'birth trauma' - the shock of being born..."
Elwood P. Dowd: "That's the one we never get over."

And the best (IMO) for last:

Wilson: "Is he alone?"
Mr. Cracker (The Bartender): "Well, there's two schools of thought, sir."

SOURCE (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042546/quotes)

Awani
11-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Glad you liked it. A truly forgotten gem.

solomon levi
11-20-2012, 04:10 AM
"Man lives in an echo, as an echo." - solomon levi

solomon levi
11-20-2012, 05:45 AM
"Sorcerers have only one point of reference: infinity." - Carlos Castaneda

Awani
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
"Man lives in an echo, as an echo." - solomon levi

That's a great quote, great quote...great quote.

solomon levi
11-22-2012, 03:32 AM
:D

A couple new quotes i came up with today:

"I don't want to do miracles. I am the miracle." - solomon levi

"Addiction is what we need." - solomon levi

solomon levi
11-22-2012, 09:46 AM
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything - but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."

- Terry Pratchett

I missed this one! Really nice!

solomon levi
12-13-2012, 04:23 AM
"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration." - Nikola Tesla

Andro
02-08-2013, 08:52 AM
From this week's episode of 'Supernatural':

Dean: "Don't think they knew some big secrets that we don't know."
Sam: "Dean, they were a secret society!!!"
Dean: "Which means that they made crap up..."---------------------------------------------------------
And the moral: Not all that glitters is gold... See L. Ron, for example... Tried his luck with Sci-Fi, but making up/inventing an entire religion was his real game changer :)

Makes one wonder about religious founders with much less historical records available than L. Ron...

I recommend the book 'The Angel's Game' by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, where a writer is commissioned by a mysterious character to write a religion...

Krisztian
02-08-2013, 04:22 PM
I recommend the book 'The Angel's Game' by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, where a writer is commissioned by a mysterious character to write a religion.

Sounds like a good read Androgynus.

And the moral: Not all that glitters is gold... See L. Ron, for example... Tried his luck with Sci-Fi, but making up/inventing an entire religion was his real game changer :)

Makes one wonder about religious founders with much less historical records available than L. Ron...

Well, L. Ron Hubbard dabbled in the occult and magic quite seriously at one point; I think he got confused [in the power] as well as 'mystified' when he was in the desert with another occultist conducting experiments. That probably lead the way to believing that he was 'chosen' not unlike other religious and political figures.

The sci-fi novels were probably a form of catharsis for him, not unlike for abductees such as Whitley Strieber who express things they can't explain by novels.

Awani
02-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Watch The Master! Good take on Hubbard. Also a well-acted film.

Awani
02-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Makes one wonder about religious founders with much less historical records available...

They were all tripping IMO.

Krisztian
02-09-2013, 01:54 AM
Watch The Master! Good take on Hubbard. Also a well-acted film.

I'm not much of a movie watcher, but I have to say that the title of that film did catch my eye, dev. Alright, I'll see it. Thanks.

theFool
02-10-2013, 07:14 PM
From Glauber:

.. The reason of hiding this Secret so long, hath been only the wickedness of Men, who seek not after these great things, that they might honour God, and succour the Poor, but rather, that by great Riches they might be able to enslave their neighbours. But when such Men, who have forsaken the Vanities of the World, seek after them, God puts it into their hands, so that striving nor running in this helps nothing, but only Gods blessing.

solomon levi
02-16-2013, 12:30 AM
some great quotes from Rainer Maria Rilke:
'It is a tremendous act of violence to begin anything. I am not able to begin. I simply skip what should be the beginning.'
“When I saw others straining toward God, I did not understand it... for our part consists almost solely in letting him grasp us.”
'The future enters into us, in order to transform itself in us, long before it happens.'
“I feel it now...there's a power in me to grasp and give shape to my world. I know that nothing has ever been real without my beholding it.”
“I want to be with those who know secret things or else alone.”
“Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always.”
'It is the best thing in life that each should have everything in himself; his fate, his future, his whole expanse and world.'
'He reproduced himself with so much humble objectivity, with the unquestioning, matter of fact interest of a dog who sees himself in a mirror and thinks: there's another dog.'

Krisztian
02-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Archimedes: "Show me a point in the universe and I shall lift the world out of its hinges!"

Andro
02-22-2013, 05:02 PM
From this week's episode of 'Person of Interest':

Quoth Harold Finch:

"Set out to correct the world's wrongs and you'll almost certainly end up adding to them."

PS: He DID say 'almost' :cool:

solomon levi
03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
This one resonates with Androgynus' last:
"If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life." - Henry David Thoreau
:)

"To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just." - Heraclitus

"I have been all things unholy. If God can work through me, he can work through anyone." - Francis of Assisi

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius

"Love takes up where knowledge leaves off." - Thomas Aquinas

"Because of the diverse conditions of humans, it happens that some acts are virtuous to some people, as appropriate and suitable to them,
while the same acts are immoral for others, as inappropriate to them." - Thomas Aquinas

solomon levi
03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
"This is our sea, let's take a rosie cruise." - Solomon Levi ;)

Andro
03-09-2013, 09:35 PM
"Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?"

- Ernest Gaines

solomon levi
03-13-2013, 10:16 AM
'The obscure we see eventually, the completely apparent takes longer.’ — Edward Murrow

'Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one.’
— Voltaire

‘Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.’
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

solomon levi
03-13-2013, 12:41 PM
‘The only reason for time is so that everything doesn’t happen at once.’ — Albert Einstein :)

‘The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance--it is the illusion of knowledge.’ — Daniel J. Boorstin

Seeker of Truth
03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Brought tears to my eyes everytime I saw the movie.

I can describe it as a powerful feeling of Yes and No as Maybe, as Three Two One, I am Happy and I am Sad, I am Weak and I am Strong, I am Mute and I am Still Singing Our Song (or something like it, point being this quote moves me):

"I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An Inch, it is small and it is fragile, but it is the only thing the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us. I hope that whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the world turns and that things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you. I love you. With all my heart, I love you. -Valerie”

by

― Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3961.Alan_Moore

And...

"This could never happen, therefore it already has."

by

- This

Kiorionis
03-25-2013, 11:21 PM
From Modest Mouse's Third Planet

When it occurred to me that the animals are swimming around
in the water in the oceans in our bodies and
another had been found, another ocean on the planet
given that our blood is just like the Atlantic
And how the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
if you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

solomon levi
03-31-2013, 03:57 AM
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save, they just stand there shining.” ― Anne Lamott

solomon levi
03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Realising how awesome Herman Hesse is:

“I live in my dreams — that's what you sense. Other people live in dreams, but not in their own. That's the difference.”
― Hermann Hesse, Demian

“What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

“We are sun and moon, dear friend; we are sea and land. It is not our purpose to become each other; it is to recognize each other, to learn to see the other and honor him for what he is: each the other's opposite and complement.”
― Hermann Hesse, Narcissus and Goldmund

“You must find your dream...but no dream lasts forever, each dream is followed by another, and one should not cling to any particular dream.”
― Hermann Hesse

“There is no reality except the one contained within us. That is why so many people live such an unreal life. They take the images outside of them for reality and never allow the world within to assert itself.”
― Hermann Hesse

“My real self wanders elsewhere, far away, wanders on and on invisibly and has nothing to do with my life.”
― Hermann Hesse

“Words do not express thoughts very well. they always become a little different immediately they are expressed, a little distorted, a little foolish. And yet it also pleases me and seems right that what is of value and wisdom to one man seems nonsense to another.”
― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

“You've never lived what you are thinking, and that isn't good. Only the ideas we actually live are of any value.”
― Hermann Hesse, Demian

“When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane.”
― Hermann Hesse

“What we can and should change is ourselves: our impatience, our egoism (including intellectual egoism), our sense of injury, our lack of love and forbearance. I regard every other attempt to change the world, even if it springs from the best intentions, as futile. ”
― Hermann Hesse

“I do not consider myself less ignorant than most people. I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books. I have begun to listen to the teachings my blood whispers to me. My story is not a pleasant one; it is neither sweet nor harmonious, as invented stories are; it has the taste of nonsense and chaos, of madness and dreams -- like the lives of all men who stop deceiving themselves.”
― Hermann Hesse

“The world is not imperfect or slowly evolving along a path to perfection. No, it is perfect at every moment, every sin already carries grace in it.”
― Hermann Hesse

solomon levi
04-22-2013, 01:55 PM
“Were making it up. The world, the universe, life, reality. Especially reality.” — Tom Robbins

"We never stopped make-believing. We just conformed to the beliefs of society." - Solomon Levi

“I live in my dreams — that's what you sense. Other people live in dreams, but not in their own. That's the difference.” ― Hermann Hesse

Andro
04-30-2013, 03:12 AM
Some funny quotes on politics and politicians... Enjoy :)

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.
~Aesop, Greek slave & fable author

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.
~Plato, ancient Greek Philosopher

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.
~Nikita Khrushchev, Russian Soviet politician

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it.
~Quoted in ‘Clarence Darrow for the Defense’ by Irving Stone

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel.
~John Quinton, American actor/writer

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.
~Oscar Ameringer, “the Mark Twain of American Socialism”

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn.
~P.J. O'Rourke, American comedian

The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.
~P.J. O'Rourke, American comedian

I offer my opponents a bargain: if they stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them.
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952

A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country.
~Texas Guinan, 19th century American businessman

I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians.
~Charles de Gaulle, French general & politician

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.
~Doug Larson (English middle-distance runner who won gold medals at the 1924 Olympic Games in Paris)

The problem with political jokes is they get elected.
~ Variously attributed to Will Rogers and George Bernard Shaw

solomon levi
05-01-2013, 01:45 PM
"the creator is the creation... realising that is heaven on earth... the very view of it changes our attitude towards everything." - Solomon Levi

solomon levi
05-01-2013, 06:18 PM
It's true what they say about asking the right questions:
"Half of science is putting forth the right questions." - Francis Bacon
"Every clarification breeds new questions." - Arthur Bloch
"If you do not know how to ask the right question, you discover nothing." - W. Edwards Deming
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." - Naguib Mahfouz
"It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question." - Decouvertes
"If I had an hour to solve a problem and my life depended on it I would use the first 55 minutes to formulate the right question because as soon as I have identified the right question I can solve the problem in less than five minutes." - Albert Einstein

Asking questions is really about context... we misunderstand things when taken out of context. We only ask questions equal to our awareness, our context. Broaden your context and ask bigger questions and see bigger answers/pictures.
I ask big questions, I speak with Infinity. It fills me with replies, so fantastic I feel I'll burst if I see any more. But in a short while I'm back asking more questions, being filled further than I ever imagined possible. Today is such a day.

Andro
06-10-2013, 07:06 AM
From 'Game Of Thrones':

"The Realm [...] is a story we've agreed to tell each other over and over, till we forget that it's a lie.

- But what do we have left once we abandon the lie? Chaos, the gaping pit waiting to swallow us all.

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.

Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them.

And some are given a chance to climb, and they refuse.

They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."

Click HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iRS8a8HjqFs#t=106s) for the video sequence.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/550x/df/9f/8f/df9f8fbf4e0109ef0ab859003942a44b.jpg

http://media-cache-ec4.pinimg.com/192x/e0/a0/48/e0a048a108a34f321e12df60fa9bc60c.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/550x/52/91/80/529180f64a831b6ffe8d3ae33c04e545.jpg

Andro
07-23-2013, 09:39 PM
From the movie The International (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963178/):

"Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

"The difference between truth and fiction is that fiction needs to make sense."

solomon levi
08-01-2013, 07:45 PM
"We love what is like us, but we crave what is not like us." - Solomon Levi

solomon levi
10-09-2013, 02:32 AM
"Finding one's Self and loving everyone equally are basically the same thing." - Amma

I find this to be an extremely accurate observation. :)

solomon levi
10-10-2013, 06:42 AM
"If you perceive that you are in a prison, you will be surrounded by bars. If you perceive that the view of a prison is but one option among infinite options, you are already outside of the bars. You see, there is no path. It is a dimensional leap/pop. You don't dismantle the (option of a) prison... you dismantle yourself." - Solomon Levi

Kiorionis
10-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Deep red are the sunsets in mystical places.
Black are the nights on summer-day sands.
We'll find the speck of truth in each riddle:
Hold the first grain of love in our hands.

Lines from 'the Whistler' by the great Jethro Tull.

Seeker of Truth
10-19-2013, 01:45 AM
When I am whispers I can't, I can whispers I am.

- Unknown, Known, Now

What is known by known and unknown is now.
All now, all won, all one....

- The Above, The Below; The Within, The Wihout, Many, One

Kiorionis
10-19-2013, 05:26 AM
I do enjoy your rhythms, seeker ;)

Kiorionis
10-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I'll tell you all a secret: I've been undermining,
Every little light in this world comes from the Bible.
Say you my lover, say you my homie.
Tilt my head back slit my throat take a bath in my blood get to know me,
Call out my secrets cause all my enemies are turning into my teachers...

Our darkness is shining, have faith in ourselves.

-Edward Sharp.

Andro
10-28-2013, 12:23 PM
“Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.”

― Ellen DeGeneres

Andro
11-02-2013, 01:30 PM
"It is not more surprising to be born twice than once.
Everything in nature is resurrection."

― Voltaire

Andro
11-20-2013, 05:59 AM
"Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

― Doctor Who (2nd Doctor)

Ghislain
12-05-2013, 06:49 PM
"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

John Lennon.

Ghislain

Andro
01-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Interesting quote from Michelangelo:

http://meetville.com/images/quotes/Quotation-Michelangelo-god-life-order-long-man-Meetville-Quotes-187222.jpg

How deep went his Level of Initiation?

He also allegedly said:

http://meetville.com/images/quotes/Quotation-Michelangelo-nature-love-inspiration-Meetville-Quotes-113834.jpg

Kiorionis
01-19-2014, 05:37 PM
"All subsequent creation from the pure force of Kether is a gradual concretion into form of the one divine force. Form is force locked up into patters of its own making. Force is that which is released when the patterns or forms are broken. Force and form, are one and the same -- 'As above, so below'."

From A Practical Guide to Qabbalistic Symbolism, by Gareth Knight.

Awani
02-06-2014, 01:55 AM
"If the words life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness don’t include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn’t worth the hemp it was written on." - Terence McKenna

Andro
02-21-2014, 08:37 PM
“Thought is deeper than all speech,
Feeling deeper than all thought,
Soul to soul can never teach
What unto itself is taught.”

* Charles Haanel - Mental Chemistry (http://ebooksgo.org/philosophy/MentalChemistry.pdf)

Awani
04-03-2014, 03:24 AM
"The funny thing about enlightenment is that when it is authentic, there is no one to claim it." - Adyashanti

Andro
04-13-2014, 07:02 PM
“The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.”

--Vidal Sassoon

DonSweet
04-13-2014, 07:54 PM
For Dev ...

A minor correction to one of your posts in this thread. Please note "minor," but I thought it was relevant, particularly in the context of other discussions.

"What kind of paper was the Constitution written on?"

"Urban legend is that the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and Bill of Rights were written on hemp paper, hemp being the industrial name for the fiber of the marijuana plant. For some reason, this "fact" is touted by those who seek to legalize marijuana for recreational use. First, it is not clear why the use of hemp as a fiber should mean it should be legalized for recreational use. Second, the "fact" is not a fact.

The Declaration, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights are currently housed in the National Archives. All three are written on parchment, not hemp paper. Parchment is treated animal skin, typically sheepskin. The Declaration was inked with iron gall ink. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory was commissioned to create a system to monitor the physical status of all three. The Charters of Freedom Monitoring System took digital photos of each sheet of parchment in 1987, each document divided into one-inch squares. Over time, the photos are retaken and compared to the original to look for signs of deterioration. Before the charters were recently reencased for display, a small tear in the Declaration was repaired by adding Japanese paper to the gap. This is the only paper in any of the documents. It is, then, inaccurate to say that any of these documents was written on hemp."

Kiorionis
04-16-2014, 01:38 PM
"You don't determine greatness by a man's intelligence.
No you don't determine his greatness until you really start to dig
And find out all those empty things he let's discrimage him."

Manchester Orchestra lyrics.

Awani
04-16-2014, 10:18 PM
A minor correction to one of your posts in this thread. Please note "minor," but I thought it was relevant, particularly in the context of other discussions... "It is, then, inaccurate to say that any of these documents was written on hemp."

Well the first draft of the Declaration of Independence was written on Dutch hemp paper (June 28, 1776). The second draft as well (July 2, 1776). This was the draft agreed to and announced and released on July 4th, 1776. The one you are talking about was not written on hemp.

So when the idea was formed (the first drafts) it was placed on hemp paper i.e. when it was written. The one you can go see in Washington D.C. (which I have visited personally) is just the official end result document.

"If the words life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness don’t include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn’t worth the hemp it was written on." - Terence McKenna

;)

Awani
04-16-2014, 10:28 PM
“Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it.”
― Swedish Proverb

Andro
04-26-2014, 09:17 AM
“Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I really need it.”
― Swedish Proverb

I do not ask to be loved, only to be well served.
I am not a man, I am a historical personality.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Andro
04-26-2014, 09:26 AM
"Memory gives moments immortality, but forgetfulness promotes a healthy mind. It's good to forget."

-- Hannibal Lecter (from the TV series 'Hannibal')

"A True Master has/cultivates amnesia (erases personal history)"

-- from a list of 'requirements' for mastership

Andro
04-27-2014, 08:17 AM
" You can't hurry an excellent sauce. A great sauce takes time, just like love."

-- 'Simple Simon' (Swedish movie)

(The movie can be watched online HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohJO6OqLy50), if anyone is interested)

Krisztian
04-27-2014, 05:25 PM
I rarely if ever post in this Thread, so I figured why not break that habit.

People who were or had been depressed had much shorter telomeres than those who had never experienced depression. This difference was apparent even after lifestyle differences, such as heavy drinking and smoking, were taken into account

- Josine Verhoeven, Molecular Psychiatry

Who says attitude doesn't influence the body?

Krisztian
04-27-2014, 05:29 PM
He that knoweth not what he seeketh, shall not know what he shall find.

- Crowning of Nature, Ferguson Ms. 253 only

Awani
04-27-2014, 09:19 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/dr-seuss_zps5fc02f40.jpg

Andro
05-08-2014, 09:31 PM
"I can't change the tide if the moon won't cooperate"

-- just a line I remember from some movie...

Awani
05-16-2014, 01:08 AM
"A compromise is an agreement whereby both parties get what neither of them wanted." - Author Unknown

Awani
05-18-2014, 11:21 PM
"Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom."

― Michael Ellner

Ghislain
05-20-2014, 08:24 AM
“Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.”

― Dorothy M. Neddermeyer

Ghislain

Kiorionis
06-03-2014, 11:52 PM
"Harmony is the source of manifestation, the cause of its existence, and the medium between God and man."

From The Mysticism of Sound and Music: the Sufi Teachings of Hazrat Inayat Khan

Andro
06-17-2014, 06:40 AM
“Men are so simple, and governed so absolutely by their present needs, that he who wishes to deceive will never fail in finding willing dupes.”

― Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince

Ghislain
06-17-2014, 01:33 PM
“Men are so simple, and governed so absolutely by their present needs, that he who wishes to deceive will never fail in finding willing dupes.”

And he that wishes to do that will have to live with what he has done...what goes around comes around...Karma...

There is never something for nothing.

Ghislain

Kiorionis
06-23-2014, 03:49 PM
There is a substance called the black oxide of manganese; it is a very black-looking mineral, but very useful, and when made red-hot it gives out oxygen. Here is an iron bottle which has had some of this substance put into it, and there is a tube fixed to it, and fire ready made, and Mr. Anderson will put that retort into the fire, for it is made of iron, and can stand the heat.

From The Chemical History of a Candle by Michael Faraday

Awani
10-14-2014, 09:00 PM
“It always seems impossible, until it's done.” - Nelson Mandela

solomon levi
10-19-2014, 12:23 AM
"If you need to visualize the soul, think of it as a cross between a wolf howl, a photon, and a dribble of dark molasses. But what it really is, as near as I can tell, is a packet of information. It's a program, a piece of hyperspatial software designed explicitly to interface with the mystery." — Tom Robbins

Awani
10-26-2014, 10:41 PM
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are". – Anais Nin

DonSweet
10-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Curious dev ...

Is this a "law"? ... or an opinion?

**wink**

I certainly hope it's no one's mantra ...

**grin**

Kiorionis
11-02-2014, 03:23 AM
Thrice, The Earth Will Shake

We dream of ways to break these iron bars
we dream of black nights without moon or stars
we dream of tunnels and of sleeping gaurds
we dream of blackouts in the prison yard

heartbroken we found
a gleam of hope
harken to the sound
a whistle blows
heaven set reply
however small
evidence of life
beyond these walls
born and bred
in this machine
wardens dread
to see us dream
we hold tight
to legends of
real life
the way it was before.

Look to the day the earth will shake
these weathered walls will fall away.

Andro
11-02-2014, 05:19 PM
The Earth Will Shake

Quoth Queen/Brian May/The Prophet's Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoiV60vqa1w):

The earth will shake in two will break
And death all round will be your dowry

Andro
11-12-2014, 07:09 PM
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

"99.9999% Of what affects our reality will be undetectable by our senses. Man must learn to think for himself, rather than follow blindly what he has been taught."

- Buckminster Fuller

"If he will not gather fragments of his own divinity and will not be able to rediscover the meaning of his existence, then only an epilogue will be unavoidable from him: THE END."

- Maurizio Cavallo

"The exploration of the mystery of consciousness never had such an urgency as it has now. A little more knowledge about himself may change the whole life and the whole sphere of activity of man"

- Gopi Krishna

"An uninformed populace is a populace devoted to slavery"

- George Washington

"Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons."

- Buckminster Fuller

And finally...

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction.
The world will have a generation of idiots."

-Albert Einstein

Awani
11-13-2014, 03:03 AM

-Albert Einstein

"Technology does not create idiots, users do." - dev

“By changing nothing, nothing changes.” -Tony Robbins

Andro
11-15-2014, 08:33 AM
As to methods, there may be a million and then some, but principles are few.
The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods.
The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Andro
11-15-2014, 10:36 AM

-Albert Einstein
"Technology does not create idiots, users do."

- devI like technology. But not as a substitute for close personal human interactions.
It is this substitution that makes us 'idiots' IMO, not the technology itself.
There are deep needs in our nature that cannot be met by technology.

Teleportation tech would be nice, so distance will no longer be an issue for friends to meet in person more often, regardless of where they are geographically :)

And another quote to round it up:

The factory of the future will have only two employees: A man and a dog.
The man will be there to feed the dog.
The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment.~ Warren G. Bennis

I guess the next step would to internalize all technology within ourselves, but keep the dog and live happily ever after :cool:

Kiorionis
11-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Nature is a vial thing.

taken from the work of an anonymous artist

Kiorionis
12-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Apparently, this is Nikola Tesla's most suppressed quote:

Only the existence of a field of force can account for the motions of bodies as observed, and its assumption dispenses with space curvature. All literature on this subject is futile and destined to oblivion. So are all attempts to explain the workings of the universe without recognizing the existence of the ether and the indispensable function it plays in the phenomena.

My second discovery was of a physical truth of the greatest importance. As I have searched the entire scientific records in more than a half dozen languages for a long time without finding the least anticipation, I consider myself the original discoverer of this truth, which can be expressed by the statement:
There is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment.

"Aether Force"

Awani
12-22-2014, 08:19 PM
"The biggest ego trip... is getting rid of your ego... and the joke of it all is your ego does not exist, there is nothing to get rid of. It's an illusion... but you still want to ask how to stop the illusion, but who is asking?" - Alan Watts

Andro
12-23-2014, 07:12 PM
When Lower fully obeys Higher and personal aspects fully harmonize with the Universal, then one achieves Transcendence. This is the ultimate goal.

~ Thomas Minderle

Andro
12-30-2014, 09:36 AM
" ...FOR THOSE LOST IN ORBIT... & SNARED BY CORPORATE STERILITY...
AND THE FRUIT OF MAMMON... REMEMBER THIS... "

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/androgynus_album/eARTh_zpsae5fffdd.jpg

~ Gary Millar Youst

Andro
01-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Pay every debt, as if God wrote the bill.

— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Awani
01-06-2015, 10:48 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/10915187_925277640846059_4827567418117068748_n_zps a853d49f.jpg

Ghislain
01-08-2015, 01:29 AM
http://thealchemyforum.com/Images/Alone

;)

Ghislain

Andro
01-13-2015, 01:44 PM
What we need to celebrate is the individual.

Have you not noticed (I certainly have), that every historical change you can think of - in fact any change you can think of, forget about human beings - any change in any system that you can think of, is always ultimately traceable to one unit in the system undergoing a phase state change of some sort.

There are no group decisions, those come later.

The genius of creativity and of initiation of activity always lies in the individual.
— Terence McKenna

Ghislain
01-15-2015, 08:32 PM
It Takes Two to Tango

http://thealchemyforum.com/Images/tango/t (3)http://thealchemyforum.com/Images/tango/t (1)http://thealchemyforum.com/Images/tango/t (2)http://thealchemyforum.com/Images/tango/t (4)http://thealchemyforum.com/Images/tango/t (5)

Ghislain

Andro
02-02-2015, 04:49 PM
I'm confident you have a plan for every imaginable scenario...
But it's the scenarios you can't imagine that bite you in the ass...— The character of 'Raymond Reddington', from the series 'The Blacklist'.

solomon levi
02-09-2015, 04:45 AM
"If you know how to listen to another person, then you know how to listen to God/Universe/MateriaPrima." - solomon levi

Nibiru
02-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Not claiming that they're "great" by any means but here are a few of my quotes that have spontaneously arisen over the past few years:

"Everything's possible, because No-thing is real"

- Nb

"TRUTH is that moment of pure realization that occurs as you gaze intently into the eyes of lover, friend, or enemy only to observe a reflection of yourself."

- Nb

"Backwards towards the goal"

- Nb

"If you believe what you feel, then does that make it real?"

- Nb

"For one to 'fall' in love should be considered an oxymoron."

-Nb

"Revolution - R = X
X = ?"

- Nb

"Beyond the eyes lies truth disguised as lies, teaching ALL to divide while simultaneously asking ONE to decide."

- Nb

"The past don't exist because it's all in your head and if the future is NOW, then you're already dead."

-Nb

"[Sun/Moon/Earth = Projection/Reflection/Absorption] First you project the Light, next you reflect your own Light back upon yourself so that you're able to recognize the divinity that you are. Finally, you absorb the light that YOU have created and reflected in order to GROW."

-Nb

"Has anyone ever noticed that the only difference between WORDS and WORLDS is an inverted '7'?"

-Nb

"If lying lions insist on deceiving themselves, then should we let sleeping lions lie?"

-Nb

"To the best of my recollection I never ate from the 'tree of knowledge' but rather the fruit of the tree bit me."

-Nb

Awani
02-15-2015, 10:03 PM
"Backwards towards the goal"

;)

"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." Oscar Wilde

Andro
02-21-2015, 05:24 PM
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/androgynus_album/BNW_zpsbtj5y5po.jpg

Hmm... Also see THIS
(http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3065-What-Makes-Us-Happy-and-Why&p=37263#post37263)

Ghislain
03-17-2015, 05:57 PM
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey,
We are spiritual beings on a human journey.

- Stephen R. Covey

Ghislain

Awani
04-08-2015, 12:56 PM
“Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.” - Buddha

Andro
04-08-2015, 10:31 PM
[...] each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.”

I have a lot of compassion, especially for those who suffer too little... something needs to be done ASAP, to change this unfortunate situation :)

I vote for the redistribution of suffering :)

Awani
04-10-2015, 06:32 PM
We would strengthen the human gene pool if we stopped putting "do not drink" on bottles of bleach, and "may contain nuts" on packets of nuts. - Ricky Gervais

Andro
04-11-2015, 09:45 AM
"We're looking for something else. And what we're looking for, is the thing that's built into us from the beginning."

-- Robert Monroe

Kiorionis
04-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Here's a Paracelsus quote I keep in my lab:

"To grasp the invisible elements, to attract them by their material correspondences; to control, purify and transform them by the living power of the Spirit [. . .]"

solomon levi
04-19-2015, 10:55 PM
"You are so hypnotised by yourself that you probably think you're real." - Byron Katie

Awani
04-28-2015, 10:19 PM
"You are so hypnotised by yourself that you probably think you're real." - Byron Katie

Nice one...

I have great faith in fools; My friends call it self-confidence. - Edgar Allen Poe

Kiorionis
05-29-2015, 12:58 AM
Past and future are also counterparts of Wisdom and Understanding insofar that they are respectively male and female. The past is said to be male, since it directly influences the future. In this manner, it is as if the feminine future is impregnated by the past.

Aryeh Kaplan, Sepher Yetzirah in Theory and Practice

Awani
05-30-2015, 05:22 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/524146_469258216563418_1181322189409399015_n_zps6t gusk6p.jpg

Andro
05-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Yep...

The new 'Game of Thrones' season also touches on that...

Andro
06-02-2015, 12:29 PM

http://33.media.tumblr.com/25e76957c31fe0a62cadac512682c7b6/tumblr_mkdtrvh1uG1s5bv12o1_500.gif

Kiorionis
06-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Orion Constellation, 'Al Jabbar', occupies the mid-way between the Northern and the Southern hemispheres of the heavens during the Winter Solstice (Dec.21-Dec.25) of each year. And during this time Orion takes a standing position in the mid night skies at mid night. It is suggested that in the Winter Solstice, the energies in the region will be at peak emission. This occurs during each Winter Solstice within which the period of Grace or Golden Mean is reached. This Grace period was also called the ''Osiris Gate.''

*The Orion constellation was the ancient's celestial prime meridian "marker" just as The Great Pyramid of Giza is our prime meridian "marker" on Earth's surface.

In the New Age Bible interpretation, Volume II, it is given:
''It is the sacred season of the Winter Solstice, when the sun of the astronomical new year is born, and the emanations of the Cosmic Sun spirit enfolds the Earth. In the Northern Hemisphere this is the longest and darkest night of the year, the time when material activities are at their ebb. The spiritual forces are, on the contrary, then at flood tide, the radiations of the Invisible Sun being at their maximum.''

The Star Point are certain spots on Earth were certain energies meet and cause vortices. They are the meeting place of the Earth's magnetic field areas and the Sun's Solar Flares. Most pyramids and steps pyramids were built on such points where the magnetic fields cross. So the energies from outer space would pour into the Earth's surface. The Actual physical pyramid would use it shape to utilize the magnetic fields under the Earth to secure the pouring of energies from outer space.

From http://www.acacialand.com/orion.html
"The Orion Constellation Star Alignment Over The Middle East"

Awani
07-14-2015, 10:17 PM
“In eternity there is no time, only an instant long enough for a joke.”
― Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf

Andro
07-18-2015, 12:56 PM
"I wish I was dumb and stupid so I can be happy my whole life."

--- some guy's comment on YouTube...

Awani
08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
"Homosexuality is found in over 450 species. Homophobia is found in only one." - Unknown

Awani
09-05-2015, 10:02 PM
“Come to the orchard in Spring.
There is light and wine, and sweethearts
in the pomegranate flowers.

If you do not come, these do not matter.
If you do come, these do not matter.” - Rumi

Andro
09-16-2015, 06:09 PM
A single neuron has not only the ability to carry complex code in abstract form, but is also able to override sensory input to cognitive effort.
It suggests thought is a stronger reality than the world around us.

- From the movie 'Listening'

Kiorionis
10-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Religions and philosophies teach that man can become the Christ, Buddha and Zoroaster. What I’m trying to prove is wilder, and almost unattainable. This is what to do in the Universe so every being is born as Christ, Buddha or Zoroaster.

From the Nikola Tesla Interview (http://worldtruth.tv/the-nikola-tesla-interview-hidden-for-116-years/)

Andro
10-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Makes me wonder even more what Mr. T was really cooking in his pot...

Kiorionis
10-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Yes, however, if Eistein published his special theory of relativity in 1905 and his general theory of relativity in 1915, and this interview occurred in 1899, then there is possibility that it's a fake.

Or the interview dates are wrong. Or Einstein's theory was known to Tesla before it's publication.

Illen A. Cluf
10-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Yes, however, if Eistein published his special theory of relativity in 1905 and his general theory of relativity in 1915, and this interview occurred in 1899, then there is possibility that it's a fake.

Or the interview dates are wrong. Or Einstein's theory was known to Tesla before it's publication.

The picture associated with the interview was taken on July 15, 1942 when he met Peter II of Yugoslavia. At first I thought that gave away that the interview must have taken place much later. But the picture seems to have nothing to do with the interview.

http://www.stankovuniversallaw.com/2015/05/nikola-tesla-everything-is-the-light/

However, the very general background principles behind some aspects of special relativity theory were already known by 1899, as Henri Poincaré wrote a paper about it in 1895.

Awani
10-29-2015, 01:00 AM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/996838_10151633506767381_926612561_n_zpsbcg2jqh8.j pg

Awani
11-17-2015, 11:12 PM
"All governments are liars and murderers..." - Bill Hicks

Awani
11-21-2015, 12:40 AM
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme." - Mark Twain

Nibiru
11-21-2015, 08:30 AM
If We ALL stood Together as ONE and refused to fight, who would WIN??

Andro
12-15-2015, 09:39 AM
"The center of me is always and eternally a terrible pain – a curious wild pain – a searching for something beyond what the world contains, something transfigured and infinite."

- Bertrand Russel

crestind
12-19-2015, 03:05 AM
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

- Oscar Gamble

Awani
12-19-2015, 02:31 PM
"Science is fact.
Religion is faith.
Magic is perception.

Know these boundaries to discover what lies beyond."

- the Tao

Andro
12-19-2015, 06:36 PM
"Science is fact.
Religion is faith.
Magic is perception.

Know these boundaries to discover what lies beyond."

- the Tao

What lies beyond - - -> none of the above, IMSI.

Awani
12-19-2015, 07:56 PM
What lies beyond - - -> none of the above, IMSI.

I think that is what it means. Just different paths towards the same place. And if all three are used maybe speed up the process.

Awani
12-23-2015, 06:41 PM
"There is no democracy in heaven." - dev

Nibiru
12-31-2015, 07:02 PM
If thou seest not in thine enemy that thou would worship in thine God, then thou hast not caught the light. #‎EdgarCayce‬ reading 689-1

Kiorionis
01-10-2016, 03:45 AM
Nature produces sugars out of three gases--carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. Oxygen and hydrogen in proportions to form water are taken from the water in the soil. Carbon is taken from carbon dioxide in the air. Out of these gases, or out of this fluid and gas, the plant synthesizes sugar, a thing the animal cannot do.

Herbert M. Shelton, The Science and Fine Art of Food and Nutrition

Andro
01-13-2016, 04:00 PM
“Why do we have noses that run and feet that smell?”

~ Unknown

Awani
02-01-2016, 11:48 PM
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

zoas23
02-02-2016, 06:26 AM
"Once Bill de Kooning gave a lecture in Philadelphia.
Afterward, he was asked what painters of the past had
influenced him the most.

He said, <<The past does not influence me.
I influence it.>>”

-John Cage

Awani
02-04-2016, 04:57 PM
"...he was jeopardizing his traditional rights of freedom and independence by daring to exercise them." - Joseph Heller from Catch-22

Andro
02-09-2016, 10:37 PM
"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance."

- Unknown

Awani
03-01-2016, 03:07 PM
"And remember, you shall suffer all things and again suffer: until you have sufficient sufferance to accept all things." - Austin Osman Spare

zoas23
03-01-2016, 10:08 PM
"And remember, you shall suffer all things and again suffer: until you have sufficient sufferance to accept all things." - Austin Osman Spare

"God is often a generalization of our ignorance and unfulfilment, as "God knows" and "In God's good time"—we forget that we are the Knowledge of God and his good time.." (AOS)

Archangel
03-02-2016, 02:36 AM
Always liked this one...

Archangel
03-02-2016, 02:38 AM
“Why do we have noses that run and feet that smell?”

~ Unknown
LOL hmmmm good question.

Awani
03-04-2016, 01:44 PM
"I'm not into microdosing. I'm into macrodosing." - dev

Awani
03-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Is DMT dangerous?

"Only if you fear death by astonishment." - Terence McKenna

Andro
03-15-2016, 08:54 AM
"I wish I'd go to sleep and wake up in a reality where the waking state has not been invented yet."

- HM Androgynus the 3rd :p

Awani
03-24-2016, 02:00 AM
Robert Masters discussing an immense DMT trip as: "this was a freedom from which there was no freedom"

Andro
03-24-2016, 08:14 AM
"this was a freedom from which there was no freedom"
"Freedom is the Choicelessness of The One Impossible Choice"

~ Gaius Mayus Junius Julius Augustus Mercurius Androgynus Jones

Awani
03-24-2016, 08:01 PM
~ Gaius Mayus Junius Julius Augustus Mercurius Androgynus Jones

Not the best source since I have read Gaius M. J. J. A. Mercurius. A. Jones has been denounced by the Holy See and the ADL, but I personally agree with most of his statements.

Andro
04-08-2016, 05:50 PM
has been denounced by the Holy See and the ADL, but I personally agree with most of his statements.

Then he must be doing something right :)

Anyway, to the quote:

"Books are knowledge... and knowledge is power [...] and... the bittersweet pain among men is having knowledge without power... because that is paradoxical... and thank you for coming..."

Lex Luthor, obliquely referring to the unchecked power of Superman, in the latest 'Batman vs Superman' movie.

Also see THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab6GyR_5N6c&feature=youtu.be&t=60).

zoas23
04-09-2016, 12:11 AM
"Books are knowledge... and knowledge is power [...] and... the bittersweet pain among men is having knowledge without power... because that is paradoxical... and thank you for coming..."

Lex Luthor, obliquely referring to the unchecked power of Superman, in the latest 'Batman vs Superman' movie.

I suspect that Lex Luthor has been reading the post-structuralist theories of Michael Foucault!!!! (I realized that Luthor looks a bit like Foucault, doesn't he?).

It is my opinion that Batman should take the ideas of Gilles Deleuze and answer:

“It is always from the depths of its impotence that each power center draws its power, hence their extreme maliciousness, and vanity”

A truly French philosophical debate inserted in a movie about super-heroes.... I'd love to see something like that.

Awani
05-24-2016, 06:27 PM
I was certain I posted this quote the other day, but now I can't find it. Loosing my mind? Ok I try again:

"Fall in love in such a way that it frees you from any connecting!" - Rumi

Awani
06-14-2016, 04:47 PM
"To every man is given a key to the gates of heaven.
The same key opens the gates of hell." — Buddhist Proverb

elixirmixer
06-14-2016, 11:01 PM
The virtue of all Arts; is patience.

My current favourite of my own proverbs.

Andro
08-03-2016, 07:13 AM
"The world makes no sense unless you force it to."

- Batman

Awani
08-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Timothy Leary's final words before death: "Why? ... Why not... beautiful..."

Awani
10-08-2016, 09:14 PM
"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." - Plato

Awani
10-20-2016, 12:02 AM
“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.”
- George R.R. Martin

Awani
10-27-2016, 02:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqvnx3CFZuI

Awani
11-25-2016, 04:59 PM
"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth – not going all the way, and not starting." - Buddha

Ghislain
11-27-2016, 11:30 PM
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

Awani
02-27-2017, 10:33 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/487097_10151180599563527_38277849_n_zpsffezreq2.jp g

Awani
03-13-2017, 11:32 PM
“There is no way to peace, peace is the way.”

― A.J. Muste

Andro
03-13-2017, 11:53 PM
“There is no way to peace, peace is the way.”

― A.J. Muste

There is another Way, however. If we stay with the martial arts, this other Way is described by Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of the modern martial art of Aikido. Ueshiba, commenting on Sun Tzu ("The Art of War") and Musashi, stated:

“The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood as a means to kill and destroy others. Those who seek competition are making a grave mistake. To smash, injure, or destroy is the worst sin a human being can commit. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent slaughter—it is the Art of Peace, the power of love.”

Unlike Sun Tzu or Musashi, who accepted the inevitability of war, emphasized cunning strategy and manipulation of the enemy as a means to victory, Ueshiba understood that continued fighting with others and ourselves was disastrous. “What we need now,” he wrote during the depths of World War Two, “are techniques of harmony, not those of contention. The Art of Peace is required, not the Art of War.”

Through the martial art of Aikido, Ueshiba taught the Art of Peace as a means of handling aggression. The Art of Peace is a way of life that fosters fearlessness, wisdom, love, and friendship. Ueshiba believed that every person could become a Warrior for Peace.

Ueshiba was not a warrior to trifle with. As the Master of Aikido, he was perhaps the greatest martial artist in modern times. He could disarm any foe, down any number of armed attackers, and pin an opponent with a single finger. Video clips of Ueshiba in his late 70s and early 80s show how he could effortlessly move through a throng of attackers and disable each without injury. Although invincible as a warrior, he abhorred violence, fighting, and war.

The modern business person therefore seems to have two models to choose from. The older model sees the world as a competitive place where the cunning and the powerful may rise to success through strategies designed to defeat opponents. This is an “eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth” view of things. The newer model sees the world as a place where peace can allow all to prosper. As Ueshiba said:

“The Art of Peace does not rely on weapons or brute force to succeed; instead we put ourselves in tune with the universe, maintain peace in our realms, nurture life, and prevent death and destruction. The true meaning of the term samurai is one who serves and adheres to the power of love.”

I believe that a business community based on Ueshiba’s model would be a place of enlightenment, abundance, and prosperity.

What about you? Which model do you choose for your life, your organization, and your community: The Way of War or the Way of Peace?

SOURCE (http://www.nollassociates.com/Columns/Peace59.html)

Ueshiba believed that every person could become a Warrior for Peace."Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity."

Awani
03-14-2017, 01:17 AM
"Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity..." is a "joke" by George Carlin... although I think he used the term "screwing", but now we are getting picky. I think "fucking" sounds better. :) But yes he is correct.

There is no point in fighting for peace. Peace is the Way... the Way is not a struggle, or a fight, to walk... either you walk it or you don't. You might stumble and trip... but if you are on the Way, then you are. And I have a tendency to write "you"... I really mean I. LOL.

As for everything posted regarding Martial Arts I could not agree more, especially since Aikido is the martial art I am most skilled in (although skilled is a bit of an overstatement, but if compared to other martial arts it is true).

There is another Way, however...

From my perspective it is not another Way, but the exact same one. :)

Kiorionis
06-25-2017, 11:45 PM
From the Smashing Pumpkins' Bullet with Butterfly Wings:

The world is a vampire, sent to drain
Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
And what do I get, for my pain?
Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game

Even though I know - I suppose I'll show
All my cool and cold - like old job

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved

Now I'm naked, nothing but an animal
But can you fake it, for just one more show?
And what do you want?
I want to change
And what have you got, when you feel the same?

Awani
07-17-2017, 07:58 PM
“All mysticism has two contradictory or complementary aspects: the one conservative, the other revolutionary.” —Gershom Scholem

:p