PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade wanted?

Awani
02-08-2012, 12:20 AM
vBulletin is always advancing forward, recently they have been talking a lot about integration with other social networks (especially FB), so I put this out there to see if you all want this or not?

vBulletin Just Got Even More Social

In the past, we've talked about some of the benefits of leveraging the vBulletin Facebook App to build a stronger, better forum that provides a great experience for your members. There are 3 primary "must-haves" that this app provides for your form:

1. You get to tap into the largest network on the planet - If you want to grow, then you must "go where the people are", and no network on earth has more people than Facebook at the moment. Glean from their 800 million+ members to grow a thriving social community of your own on your forum.

2. Your members get to participate in your forum even when they aren't technically "on" it - An estimated 400 million people log into Facebook as a part of their daily routine. Your members get to post and comment on your forum while still logged into Facebook, increasing engagement and keeping your community at the top of their minds.

3. You get to turn each of your forum members into a marketer for your community - As your members interact, post, "like", and "send" away many of their actions will be broadcasted to their individual networks of friends, which can range from a few to several thousand at a time - per member.
Haven't taken advantage of the Facebook App yet? Well, we've just released version 1.0.2 and current customers are raving about some of the new functionality and features that it provides to make your forum more social than ever.

1. Facebook "Like" Button Added - Now forum members can "like" an individual article entry, blog entry, photo, or thread. This activity will show up in their Facebook activity stream and provide peer advertising for your forum.

2. Facebook "Send" Button Added - Forum members now have the ability to send articles, blogs, photos or threads from your forum to their Facebook friends. This kind of social proof increases interest, engagement, and grows your membership base.

3. Guest Viewing of Your Forum - Previously, guests (non-members) were not able to view forum content when perusing a community via the Facebook App. Now guests have full visibility of the content on your App, enticing them to become members of your forum if they would like to join in on the fun.

4. Exact Forwarding to Unread Posts - Previously, if you were to click on a forum that contained unread posts (via the Facebook App) you would be forwarded to the very beginning of that thread. Our latest update now allows you to be forwarded directly to the first unread post within that same thread, thereby enhancing your members' browsing experience by taking them exactly where they want to go faster and with less hassle.
If you would like to enhance the social footprint of your forum, you can go here to start enjoying these new features today!

Helping You Build Better Communities,

Your vBulletin Support Staff

:cool:

Andro
02-08-2012, 01:31 AM
HELL NO ! ! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sThcwmx3rs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UouP8cRYZ8

Pleroma
02-08-2012, 01:58 AM
i think the first video is fake. Its from onion news, they make fake news, i think.

Awani
02-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Yes... then NO it is! LOL!

Although I agree that FB is filled with lots of crap and morons, it is just a tool... I use it as a way to connect to all my guerilla soldiers across the globe and we don't care if Big Brother is listening. We want him too...

Besides all the NWO leaders, Big Corp lizards and the like are nothing to feel threatened by. Our fear gives them power. IMO.

To me they are just silly babies.

;)

Andro
02-08-2012, 03:32 AM
It's not fear... the very concept of face-hook repels me (personally)... The videos are just for the fun of it :)

Seth-Ra
02-08-2012, 04:40 AM
I believe the Forums should grow, and the Art should grow. That being said - it all is growing, all the time. Those that wanna know, do the research. Those who are ready to share and discuss, are usually smart enough to do a google search for "alchemy forum" and find us pretty easily. ;)

FB may provide more public interaction, but that can have as many cons as pros - usually more cons. For instance, no one needs trash-type comments left on their facebook, due to a response they made on a thread, especially from know-nothing people. (look at the flame-wars that happen in youtube comments...)
To me, Alchemy is one of the best kept secrets of our time - a community and Art that is always growing, but always behind the scenes/under the noses. Like Spiritus Mundi, we grow best in the darkness of the Moonlight, until the world becomes our Sun-filled utopia. :cool:

Imo. :)

~Seth-Ra

Awani
02-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Yes, a NO is probably best... probably why I avoided pushing this upgrade button automatically (compared to other times). My subconscious guardian never sleeps. He he.

Andro: have you heard of this?

http://www.hatebook.org/

I have my problems with FB also, but I can't ignore the fact that it helped me regain contact with family members I thought I had lost forever. As for the forums best to leave them "off-the-grid". There is another upgrade I was also considering which is the possibility for each member to have a blog on their profile.

Maybe this is something that is more attractive?

Seth-Ra
02-08-2012, 05:13 AM
There is another upgrade I was also considering which is the possibility for each member to have a blog on their profile.

Maybe this is something that is more attractive?

Yes, that is indeed more attractive. :)

~Seth-Ra

Ghislain
02-08-2012, 08:30 AM
What's FaceBook?

:confused:

Ghislain

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMcvCQgn-e04WzE2FB6Wwe3ZGIeMuXFJa5YmuRCN4sX9FquR9_

zoas23
02-08-2012, 10:38 AM
No...

I assume most of us have already done an excellent job freaking out most of our friends... and probably we don't need more help on that.

And, considering that anyone who writes "alchemy forum" in google will find that this website is the #1 result, it is safe to assume that most people who were trying to find a forum about alchemy on the internet are already here.

Andro
02-19-2012, 02:59 AM
Facebook may be significantly upgraded in the future :)

Preview HERE (http://www.putlocker.com/file/2525AD3C81997DC1#).

Brave New World

annabelle_lee
02-19-2012, 06:39 AM
@Dev I think that the ability to have a blog on each members profile is most excellent. I dislike the Book of Face addition though. :-P

Ghislain
02-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Is the Forum not already a form of Blog?

You can already search for posts by an individual, if that is your desire.

Many people, including myself, have posted personal information throughout the Forum which others can
comment on.

This brings to mind the saying, "if it aint broke donít fix it".

Having said all that I see no problem in setting up members Blogs, but would people use them when
one of the mainstays of Alchemy is its secrecy.

If one has a picture painted of an individual would this not taint the information that they proffer?
Might we opine about the value of the information based on our feelings toward that person?

If your answer to the above question is "no" then ask yourself what sort of people frequent your circle of
associates? Are they vagrants, the unclean, retarded, old etc...? Do you choose to avoid certain types of
people without even knowing them and what brought them to the position they presently possess?

No offence to vagrants, the unclean, retarded or old etc... ;)

Who would you be most likely to listen to; a Professor, a well published Author, a Child Molester, a
Murderer, a Thief...?

The above examples go a little to the extreme, but we, most of us, allow physical and mental traits of others
to sway our thinking, whether we are aware of it or not.

The anonymity of the Forum allows every voice to be heard without bias.

IMHO

Ghislain

annabelle_lee
02-20-2012, 07:27 AM
@Ghislain All of the people that you mentioned are worth listening to, because there is a simple phrase that has underlined my search and study of alchemy:

All knowledge is worth having.

Awani
02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Ok I hear you all:)

For the FB victims there is, and have been for some time, a Alchemy Forums page to like or connect with friends from the forums... but nothing more. What is posted there won't end up here etc.

As for the blog lets think about it some more.

LostGnosticOccultum
04-18-2013, 01:57 PM
I think it would be nice to have an In-Forum LIKE button that is not connected to any other site. I know many of us read a bunch of the threads and posts here however we do not always have something to add. Although I may not have something to add at times I would like to show my interest in the specific thread or post and I believe some form of "like-button" would be a good why to do this.

LostGnosticOccultum
04-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Another thing I would like to address is sub-forums; in the practical alchemy section we have the general "practicAl work" area but this is kind of cluttered and I believe it should be broken up and organized by specific kingdom. Plant kingdom sub-forum, animal kingdom sub-forum, and mineral kingdom sub-forum, as well as a sort of plant/herb health benefit or holistic medicine sub-forum.
This particular concern comes from my recent wish to post a thread on a specific herbal topic which I am unsure where to post it and I believe should be not simply lost in the General discussion section but rather in a specific subforum which would help to organize and make things MUUUUCH easier to find on the forum.
A cleaner more refined forum with more sub-forums is what I wish to see here. I already love this forum but I believe we can make it better still.

GOD Bless, LGO

Andro
04-18-2013, 03:21 PM
I think it would be nice to have an In-Forum LIKE button that is not connected to any other site.

I would prefer for posts to be appreciated by the response they trigger and not by some (IMO) unnecessary 'LIKE' feature. We are already brainwashed by the FB/YouTube mentality as it is...

Next thing you know, people will be asking for a 'This is so gay' button, as this seems to be a rather popular remark in a vast number of YouTube comment threads :p... (just kidding... I hope...:eek:)

Another thing I would like to address is sub-forums; in the practical alchemy section we have the general "practical work" area but this is kind of cluttered and I believe it should be broken up and organized by specific kingdom. Plant kingdom sub-forum, animal kingdom sub-forum, and mineral kingdom sub-forum, as well as a sort of plant/herb health benefit or holistic medicine sub-forum.
This particular concern comes from my recent wish to post a thread on a specific herbal topic which I am unsure where to post it and I believe should be not simply lost in the General discussion section but rather in a specific subforum which would help to organize and make things MUUUUCH easier to find on the forum.
A cleaner more refined forum with more sub-forums is what I wish to see here. I already love this forum but I believe we can make it better still.

I think more sub-forums would make things even more cluttered.

The General Discussions sub-forum is for GENERAL topics, NOT directly related to Alchemy.

If you want to post practical/lab stuff, just post it under Practical Alchemy. If it's more Plant/Spagyrics related, post it in the Spagyrics sub-forum (a sub-section of Practical Alchemy).

If you want to post about health benefits or holistic medicine topics, you have the Body Matters sub-forum.

It can be a fine line between too general and too specified. I see neither end of the spectrum as beneficial.

For now, I'd say it's OK as it is. There will always be more improvements, but over-specification can be just as confusing as no specification at all.

I suggest (to everyone) to become more familiarized with the actual descriptions of the various sub-forums, and it will be much easier to know what to post where.

At least for now :)

LostGnosticOccultum
04-18-2013, 03:59 PM
I think more sub-forums would make things even more cluttered.

The General Discussions sub-forum is for GENERAL topics, NOT directly related to Alchemy.

If you want to post practical/lab stuff, just post it under Practical Alchemy. If it's more Plant/Spagyrics related, post it in the Spagyrics sub-forum (a sub-section of Practical Alchemy).

If you want to post about health benefits or holistic medicine topics, you have the Body Matters sub-forum.

It can be a fine line between too general and too specified. I see neither end of the spectrum as beneficial.

For now, I'd say it's OK as it is. There will always be more improvements, but over-specification can be just as confusing as no specification at all.

I suggest (to everyone) to become more familiarized with the actual descriptions of the various sub-forums, and it will be much easier to know what to post where.

At least for now :)

I don't see how it could make it more cluttered, it seems too cluttered now, if one is looking for topics on plant alchemy s/he must search through pages and pages of general "practical alchemy" where as if there was a specific subforum s/he could simply click on the subforum and brows the specific topic likewise for mineral and animal. The general "practical alchemy" section would be for those things which are specifically alchemy but not exclusive to a specific kingdom/category.

Also I believe we should have a subforum in the general discussion section specifically dedicated to showing and researching the metaphysical properties of plants; and likewise one for minerals.

You can NEVER be too specific lol

I'm not saying that we need 20, 15, or even 10 new subforum, I am suggesting a mere 5 which would greatly increase the forums organization and thus make it easier for those who wish to simply "browse" to do so according to a more narrow field. Of interest.

GOD Bless, LGO

Krisztian
04-18-2013, 04:33 PM
. . . . researching the metaphysical properties of plants; and likewise one for minerals.

That's a novel idea! I have posted on several herbs under the Thread "Longevity" and interested in sharing views and experiences on them. My main diet consists of a mixture of herbs primarily, have experimented with them for years, always finding new combinations, etc. In the mainstream, one recites the common definitions but rarely have descriptions of more intimate comments, if you know what I mean.

. . . people will be asking for a 'This is so gay' button, . . .

I'm sure you know this Androgynus, but I'll say it regardless, that the word gay has different connotations for those of us with older souls than - to bring up that word again - the mainstream.

Just saying.