PDA

View Full Version : Equipment storage

annabelle_lee
03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Hello all!

I'm looking into lab equipment storage for a small two bedroom apartment (the second bedroom serves a living room). Given that I don't have the ability to have all of my lab equipment out on the countertops (kitties, small space, etc) I am curious about what sort of storage you all who find yourselves in similar situations use? I figure something that is sturdy would be of great use, compact and most defintely lined with soft material to avoid breaking fragile glassware.

Does anyone know of people that could craft little hideaway storage for lab equipment? Seems like that would be an interesting idea...

Susu
03-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I thought the same thing when I got my glassware. For the time being I got a large empty plastic tool from the store and lined the inside with bubble wrap. I also wrap my glassware in bubble wrap too. It isn't a permanent thing but it is a good temp fix until I can get a place that I can put a shelf in.

zoas23
03-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I thought the same thing when I got my glassware. For the time being I got a large empty plastic tool from the store and lined the inside with bubble wrap. I also wrap my glassware in bubble wrap too. It isn't a permanent thing but it is a good temp fix until I can get a place that I can put a shelf in.

I have been buying a lot of glassware from a graduated Chemistry student that was selling all her stuff (because she got a job into a chemistry lab and she won't be using her own stuff at her home, which she had mostly for doing the "homework" requested by her university). Great prices, BTW and everything looked just as if it was new. If you are looking for cheap used glassware, then placing adds in a Chemistry Univeristy may be a good idea (a lot of students need to have a lab at their home during their time at the university, but after their graduation they do no longer want to keep it).

Anyway, she had all her glassware packaged exactly as you say.

annabelle_lee
03-02-2012, 04:24 AM
@Susu That's not a half bad temporary fix, I'll have to look into that.

@zoas23 That's brilliant, I didn't even think about that. Thankfully I have to take a few chemistry courses myself, and with any luck I can purchase chemistry equipment for my classes then just keep it!

MarkostheGnostic
03-02-2012, 04:24 AM
I use transparent Tupperware boxes, lined with bubble-wrap, and wrap the glass in bubble-wrap too. I use 2" wide clear tape with folded back edges to make tabs, to make sure the lids don't pop off. Then I store them on a white-wire shelf over my mushroom grow box in a closet with accordion doors.

annabelle_lee
03-02-2012, 06:03 AM
@Markos Wow. That is incredibly protective.