PDA

View Full Version : About to try my first Real Alchemy

JDuncan
03-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Hey guys... Getting ready to try the First Real Alchemy practice. Wanted to post here what im gonna do and get peoples Opinions, tips, etc.

The First thing i want to try to make will be a basic Lemon Balm Tincture, and Possibly some Salt.

The Book im Using at the moment is Found here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Alchemy-Primer-Practical/dp/0892541504

It was suggested to me on these forums.

On Page 45 it talks about making a basic Tincture by Distilling, Using a Small Jar with the herb, and water put in to a Bigger Jar that is sealed. Put in to heat and let it go. So 2 sizes of Jam Jars, XX amount of Lemon Balm, and enough water to cover it plus 2 finger widths. Put it in to a bigger Jar, some surrand wrap, then the lid. Place on the Hot water Tank and let it heat up. Shake Daily.

Am i missing anything?

Now a Question for Collecting Oil. What is the easiest way to Collect it? Technically would you not also possibly grab Tincture at the same Time? Everywhere i read just says "And collect it off the top".

JC3
03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
On page 45 there are very advanced operations of Primum Ens and Vegetable Stone, not basic tincture.
I think you totally mixed things up. In maceration you don't put a jar into another one. This method, the distillation, is something else. In this method you wouldn't shake it. Read the book carefully.

thoth
03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
For collecting oil, I am looking at pouring the solution into a very long thin tube - as oil floats to surface, in a really narrow tube the difference between the oil/water will be much more noticeable, so you could pipette it away.

My plan was to use several tubes as in below, and use heat shrink tubing to connect them all. (I know it would be easy to use a length of plastic tubing, but I see glass as less contaminating)