PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything left to discover?

annabelle_lee
03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
This is the only forum that I visit on a daily basis, and I enjoy reading the discussions that are posted. Truly you all provide some very tasty food for thought! That being said, have alchemists and the community as a whole run out of things to chew on?

Think about it. All the work our forebears have done, the texts they've penned and we pore (pour?) over. The wonderful contributions of alchemists here and on other mediums. What is there left to discover for alchemists, students of alchemy or the curious? Are there no final frontiers for our ilk?

Or is the discovery that is left to us the discovery of S/self? Our own place in the Great Work?

Discuss!

*drops checkered flag*

jordanstratford+
03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Or is the discovery that is left to us the discovery of S/self? Our own place in the Great Work?

Tag, you're it. Yes, that's the task at hand. Was there ever anything else?

III
03-08-2012, 06:06 PM
This is the only forum that I visit on a daily basis, and I enjoy reading the discussions that are posted. Truly you all provide some very tasty food for thought! That being said, have alchemists and the community as a whole run out of things to chew on?

Think about it. All the work our forebears have done, the texts they've penned and we pore (pour?) over. The wonderful contributions of alchemists here and on other mediums. What is there left to discover for alchemists, students of alchemy or the curious? Are there no final frontiers for our ilk?

Discuss!

*drops checkered flag*

Hi Annabelle_lee,

What is left is to apply what is learned in creating our self, building and refining said self, our magnum opus.

solomon levi
03-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Forgive the impersonal reply but the quote sums it up for me:
" The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is.
If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so. You must start slowly to undo the world.
Your problem is that you confuse the world with what people do. The things people do are the shields against the forces that surround us;
what we do as people gives us comfort and makes us feel safe; what people do is rightfully very important, but only as a shield.
We never learn that the things we do as people are only shields and we let them dominate and topple our lives.
In fact I could say that for mankind, what people do is greater and more important than the world itself.
The world is all that is encased here; life, death, people, the allies, and everything else that surrounds us.
The world is incomprehensible. We won't ever understand it; we won't ever unravel its secrets. Thus we must treat it as it is, a sheer mystery!
An average man doesn't do this, though. The world is never a mystery for him, and when he arrives at old age he is convinced he has nothing more to live for.
An old man has not exhausted the world. He has exhausted only what people do. But in his stupid confusion he believes that the world has no more mysteries for him.
What a wretched price to pay for our shields!
A warrior is aware of this confusion and learns to treat things properly. The things that people do cannot under any conditions be more important than the world.
And thus a warrior treats the world as an endless mystery and what people do as an endless folly."

I don't think we have exhausted anything.
One can equate the things people do with the statement "there's nothing new under the sun."

There is the discovery of the self, and also the discovery of the ever-present eternally renewing awareness
where nothing is taken for granted, for known - beyond linear time.

Seth-Ra
03-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Well said SL, where's the quote from?
I often turn to my martial arts to stop thinking, and just experience, in the moment, everything. No mind, or Musashi's "void". :cool:

To me, when the principles are understood, and All is One, and the One is All, within - then no, there is nothing new under the sun. But with that, there is everything new with how its all implemented and used under the sun. How can i apply this concept, what can i create, what is given to me to create? How does the Spirit inspire me? Yes, it is about building ourselves, learning our place in it All - which is a never ending, always now, moment of pure discovery, wonder, and awe. :)

~Seth-Ra

Awani
03-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Humanity has just begun. We are about to leave childhood as a race. What has been is only the first rung of the ladder. The process of transformation goes hand in hand with evolution. It is not survival of the fittest, but of the most wise. I refuse to envision an Idiocracy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy) future.

:cool:

solomon levi
03-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Well said SL, where's the quote from?
I often turn to my martial arts to stop thinking, and just experience, in the moment, everything. No mind, or Musashi's "void". :cool:

To me, when the principles are understood, and All is One, and the One is All, within - then no, there is nothing new under the sun. But with that, there is everything new with how its all implemented and used under the sun. How can i apply this concept, what can i create, what is given to me to create? How does the Spirit inspire me? Yes, it is about building ourselves, learning our place in it All - which is a never ending, always now, moment of pure discovery, wonder, and awe. :)

~Seth-Ra

Hey Seth-Ra
That was from Castaneda, "A Separate Reality"

Yes, well said to you as well. :)

III
04-15-2012, 04:29 AM

Discuss!

*drops checkered flag*

Hi Annabelle_lee,

Let's say that the frontiers are all the same. First one solves the mysteries of life and death, then the mysteries of eternal life which of course is inherent in evolution and then ... Well, as George B.Thomas famously said "As it ought to be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer it is left as an exercise for the student".

Ghislain
04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
All the work our forebears have done, the texts they've penned and we pore (pour?) over.

Hi Annabelle Lee

I think the word you were looking for was ‘pore’, but I like to paw :)

The texts penned and discoveries made are so many, and more than one could read in one lifetime.

To quote Solomon Levi

" The world is such-and-such or so-and-so only because we tell ourselves that that is the way it is.
If we stop telling ourselves that the world is so-and-so, the world will stop being so-and-so. You must start
slowly to undo the world.
Which leads us to III’s quote

George B.Thomas "As it ought to be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer it is left as
an exercise for the student".

To expand on Seth’s post

The Book of Void

Although short, the void book lists, philosophically, the nature of both human knowledge and other things. The
void book expressly deals with "That which cannot be seen".

"By knowing things that exist, you can know that which does not exist."

The Book of Nothing, according to Musashi, is the true meaning of the strategy of Ni Ten Ichi Ryu. It seems
very esoteric in nature because he seems to note that you must learn to perceive that which you cannot
understand or comprehend. He notes that in this Void, what can be comprehended are things which we do
and see, such as the way of the warrior, martial arts, and Ni Ten Ichi Ryu. At the same time, in the Void, things
we do not do or see (which he calls Spirit), are part of the information which we perceive on a conscious level,
but with which we have no physical relationship. It is arguable whether Musashi is referring to religious
spirituality or if he is actually explaining a way to live a life and process thoughts.

In the above quote, Musashi speaks of "virtue and no evil". This may mean "goodness and banishment of evil"
or "purpose and non-existence of good and evil", and the exact meaning is open to debate.

Source: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Five_Rings)

Even here we see the uncertainty of the author.

I like the way Dev puts it. (although because I like it doesn't make it so)

Humanity has just begun. We are about to leave childhood as a race. What has been is only the first
rung of the ladder. The process of transformation goes hand in hand with evolution. It is not survival of the
fittest, but of the most wise.

Imagine the world like a children’s nursery where the children are exploring and always finding something
new; when most of what they think they have found they have completely misinterpreted, only to realise this
as they grow and mature .

The Matrix, Sophia Stewart, Wachowski Brothers you decide ;) whoever wrote it had the concept of taking one
pill to see the truth or another to carry on living in the bliss of ignorance.

Man against machine or the downtrodden against the oppressors?

In The Matrix humans are referred to as a disease, a virus that spreads and takes everything then moves on.
But what are the machines doing? The same thing, it is the nature of power.

If one looks at the great empires that have come and gone, all would have their subjects believe that ‘what is’
is for the benefit of all or that those who do not benefit are not worthy or better still the benefit would spoil
them and they are much happier as they are :).

In the present time the Western world is the machine and the likes of China and India the batteries that power
that machine; and the west has the audacity to complain about their carbon footprint. When will they wake
up to the reality? Perhaps they are waking up and this is what will trigger the change.

Read “Cloud Atlas” ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(novel)) by David Mitchell

"Mitchell has said of the book: "All of the leading characters are reincarnations of the same soul ...
identified by a birthmark. ... The "cloud" refers to the ever-changing manifestations of the "atlas", which is
the fixed human nature. ... The book's theme is predacity ... individuals prey on individuals, groups on
groups, nations on nations."

Another way of looking at things is that we are the embryo’s waiting to hatch and we are soon to have used up
all of the yolk which is the world and we can now join the adults in spirit, or, we will pupate and the world will
blossom once again so we can continue to drink the nectar until the next time; anyhow great change is possibly
on the way.

Returning to the original question, “Is there anything left to discover?” Here is a slight oxymoron for to get an
answer one way or the other one has to believe they already know all that has been discovered or that there
are discoveries to be made that we know nothing of. I am sure this applies to no one of this world IMO. Also
even if something is discovered are we to assume that all would know this? If not then to find this out for the
first time is still a discovery for the one that is searching.

Read and learn all you wish to, but assume nothing and let your intuition be your guide; realise that no one
and nothing has power over the real you but you yourself.

Maybe everything is exactly as it should be and it is only perception of ‘what is’ that makes it appear otherwise.

jordanstratford+’s answer made me smile for its brevity and succinctness

Tag, you're it. Yes, that's the task at hand. Was there ever anything else?

Sorry if that became a rant rather than a reply.

I would say the search is still on; wouldn't you?

Ghislain