PDA

View Full Version : Ebay = kid in a candy store.

annabelle_lee
03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Long have I read posts of folks on here extolling the virtues of eBay for lab equipment. Today I was rather bored (as often happens when one is deployed) and typed in 'distillation kit' in the search box on eBay.com. What did mine eyes see but affordable distillation kits of varying sizes and shapes. All for 1/4 the cost of crucible.org! Ye gods, I am as a kid in a candy store, a fat child in a bakery after hours or some other amusing comparison. eBay, thou are AMAZING. Buying the bejeebus outta some sweet lab equipment when I get home.

D.Trout
03-08-2012, 04:33 PM
I'll bet you that 70% of what you're looking at is also in my "Watch List"! Yes, for practical alchemy equipment, the 'Bay can't be beat if you know what you're looking for.

(Though I'm still drooling over the borsilicate glass alembics and pelicans that Crucible.org has.)

All the best! Safe Journies! And update us on what you buy when you get home.

Susu
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Got my distillation kit from there a few weeks ago. I got one with the 19/22 size fittings because I had a lot of equipment from my school that fit it. Plus, I don't need anything bigger due to the size of my apartment kitchen. Kind of unfortunate because I can't find too many. if any, soxhlet extractors for that size. Oh well.

zoas23
03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
If you don't mind used stufff and there is a chemisty university in your city that has a board where the students are allowed to place adds, then you have a chance to beat the prices of eBay, I'm sure.

MarkostheGnostic
03-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Got my distillation kit from there a few weeks ago. I got one with the 19/22 size fittings because I had a lot of equipment from my school that fit it. Plus, I don't need anything bigger due to the size of my apartment kitchen. Kind of unfortunate because I can't find too many. if any, soxhlet extractors for that size. Oh well.

I've used reducing fittings to go with the two kits of free organic chemistry glassware that a teacher friend gave me. It has probably been sitting in my school since it opened in 1979, unused. The Soxhlet just needs a RBF and a condenser (mine is an Allihn), but I don't think you're gonna find a 19/22.

MarkostheGnostic
03-09-2012, 01:17 AM
I'll bet you that 70% of what you're looking at is also in my "Watch List"! Yes, for practical alchemy equipment, the 'Bay can't be beat if you know what you're looking for.

(Though I'm still drooling over the borsilicate glass alembics and pelicans that Crucible.org has.)

All the best! Safe Journies! And update us on what you buy when you get home.

A Round Bottom Boiling Flask, with a chromatography reservoir set on top does have a restrictive aspect (the ground glass female flask opening and the male on the downspout of the chromatography globe), but a water-jacketed condenser on that is going to be much more efficient than an ancient curcurbit and alembic top. Although, at least one author suggested that clay curcurbits allowed the reaction to 'breathe.' Nevertheless, all kinds of coveted luting formulas abounded back then, often using ground glass dust as an ingredient. No thanks :eek: Silicone grease or Teflon tape, used in organic chem labs is a welcome modern convenience for cleanliness and simplicity sake.