PDA

View Full Version : calcination tips?

valhan
04-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Friends,

Calcination of salts seems to be something of an obstacle for the newly appointed alchemist. What tips have you for calcination? I'm by no means seeking the easy route, just the most effective and above all, efficient techniques. I'm interested in all opinions and techniques that you all have discovered over the years. Won't you share some of your wisdom with your younger brothers and sisters. Personally, I'm calcining in pyrex with a 190 proof grain, and the task is both arduous and inefficient. It works, but I spend a lot of energy and valuable herbs are lost in the process.

solomon levi
04-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Hi Valhan.

It depends on your resources of course.
If you've extracted the sulphur which is essential oils, then your heat
can be as strong as you're able.
An oven, with much grinding between calcinations to make the matter fine.

The salt can be dissolved and filtered and coagulated (evaporated to dryness)
and calcined, repeating this process until they are as pure as you like.

Ghislain
04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Valhan

I use pyrex too. I agree it is far from satifactory but seems to get the job done in the end.

Perhaps a small kiln would be better.

I should invest but they dont call me Ebenezer for nothing.

In fact they dont call me Ebenezer at all :)

Ghislain

Susu
06-21-2012, 05:39 AM
I always wonder how practical using a simple magnifying lens and sun would work. Granted it is only a small spot that is getting heated and you need to adjust it as the sun moves across the sky but the heat source is pretty cost efficient (free). Just curious how hot it actually gets. An idea if anything. =)

Kiorionis
03-19-2013, 04:40 AM
I always wonder how practical using a simple magnifying lens and sun would work. Granted it is only a small spot that is getting heated and you need to adjust it as the sun moves across the sky but the heat source is pretty cost efficient (free). Just curious how hot it actually gets. An idea if anything. =)

not a simple magnifying lense, but here's something :p

SOLAR DEATH RAY WATER aqua lens with 1/3 Kilowatt Heat Energy
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeSyHgO5fmQ)Giant Water Parabola Solar Cooker 1000f AQUA DEATH RAY SYFY SOLAR GRILL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_zKk03CJKU)