PDA

View Full Version : Game of Life

Ghislain
04-29-2012, 06:43 AM
If you have not come across it before below is The Game of Life.

It is a simple game with only four rules...it is a game everyone should play with once in their life.

The Game

The Game of Life is not your typical computer game. It is a 'cellular automaton', and
was invented by Cambridge mathematician John Conway.

This game became widely known when it was mentioned in an article published by
Scientific American in 1970. It consists of a collection of cells which, based on a few
mathematical rules, can live, die or multiply. Depending on the initial conditions, the
cells form various patterns throughout the course of the game.

The Rules

For a space that is 'populated':

1. Each cell with one or no neighbors dies, as if by loneliness.
2. Each cell with four or more neighbors dies, as if by overpopulation.
3. Each cell with two or three neighbors survives.

For a space that is 'empty' or 'unpopulated':

4. Each cell with three neighbors becomes populated.

The Controls

http://www.bitstorm.org/gameoflife/standalone/manual/illustrated.png

Each calculation of the sheet is counted as one generation. It is good to see how many generations you can complete from a single pattern.

You can read more and download the game free HERE (http://www.bitstorm.org/gameoflife/standalone/manual/)

To install the game takes about two minutes to complete.

Just one tip, the game sees the egde of the window as a boundary, so I would suggest playing it full screen.

Ghislain

Ghislain
04-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Each time you set up a pattern save it before you start that way if you create anything of interest perhaps you could share it in this thread.

If you discover anything interesting while setting up a game or while running one then post that too.

This is only a snapshot. If you dont want to set up the game that's no problem as you are already playing it in real time :)

Ghislain

zoas23
04-29-2012, 09:23 AM
I LOVE that game!!!!

I used to be a fan of Martin Gardner's books when I was around 12 (LOL, I was a weird mix between a tiny skater/punk & a nerd)... and that's how I learnt about that game for the first time.
I used to play it analogic!!! (using a Go game). And then I found the computer version which is by far faster and takes by far less patience.
Hmmm... I kinda miss his books right now.

The main lesson that the game teaches is that something very complex maybe can last for very few "moves" or "generations"...
... Whilst something very simple can create a very complex life in a few "moves".
It is also fun that you can't win or lose.

Ghislain
03-24-2015, 12:06 PM
An extrapolation in thought to the game of life...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxDb_BbXzU

Ghislain

III
03-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Many years ago I adapted LIFE to model smallpox by modifying the rules. This was back in the days of 64 k of program and 64 K of memory. It was really quite elegant.

Then there is this virtual holodeck we live in ...

Ghislain
03-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Many years ago I adapted LIFE to model smallpox by modifying the rules. This was back in the days of 64 k of program and 64 K of memory. It was really quite elegant.

That sounds really interesting...would love to have seen it.

Then there is this virtual holodeck we live in ... :)

Ghislain

III
04-02-2015, 03:02 AM
That sounds really interesting...would love to have seen it.

:)

Ghislain

It was a lot of fun. I had read the WHO book on smallpox, literally everything known about smallpox, which is far more around the edges than people realize. Then when I got that working well enough I put HIV in with it's rules. It sure looked like smallpox could virtually completely control AIDS/HIV in a slow travel world. It appeared to have been controlling HIV infection just by vaccination alone.